• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

wwm0nkey

Tunavi's post reminded me the Holiday games about to hit very soon, so what is everyone final list?

Mine is

Battlefield 3
Metal Gear collection
Skyrim
Halo CEA
Dark Souls (borrowed Demon Souls from a friend and its addictive!)

I was going to get Uncharted 3 but man after playing the MP Demo I have to say this is the SHITTIEST MP games I have ever played and I loved Uncharted 2.

My buy list is really empty:
Halo CEA. That's it. Seriously seeing so much titles dropping their prices so fast. I'll wait with a lot of titles. (Can't wait to buy Rage, Dark Souls, Skyrim for only 20bucks)

wwm0nkey

One thing that sucks is that there are going to be way to many MP games to split up

I have to go from Battlefield 3 to Halo to Versus Ops from MGS

REALLY looking forward to Versus Ops though.

heckfu

Banned
I blew the last weekly but this one seems pretty manageable under my schedule. I'm glad 343 is being creative with the challenges now, seems to be headed in a good direction

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Zeouterlimits said:
Comments like that come off as a tad douchey.
U2's multiplayer had a big following, especially on GAF.
GAF loves Sony though so that doesn't really count.

Zeouterlimits said:
Comments like that come off as a tad douchey.
U2's multiplayer had a big following, especially on GAF.
My post wasn't a reflection on the quality of Uncharted's multiplayer, it's just odd to me that someone would pass up on Uncharted 3 because the multiplayer might stink. That's like not really the main draw of the series at all (for me anyways). It would be like someone passing on AC Brotherhood because they thought the multiplayer sucked. Yeah it's there, but is that really why you're buying the game? Hell naw, I wanna see more of Drake's shenanigans!

Tashi0106 said:
GAF loves Sony though so that doesn't really count.
Hey I loves me some Uncharted. I think Zeouterlimits misinterpreted my post.

While I am enjoying the TU playlist, I am getting a little burned on some of the maps. I've played too many Boardwalk, Zealot, and Uncaged games in the last 3 days. And I still think Jetpacks ruin uncaged. I'm tired of players abusing the tops of the level. I understand that jetpacks should help you get around, but not in the way uncaged allows.

wwm0nkey said:
One thing that sucks is that there are going to be way to many MP games to split up

I have to go from Battlefield 3 to Halo to Versus Ops from MGS

REALLY looking forward to Versus Ops though.

MGS? As in Metal Gear Solid!??

Tell me more. Metal Gear with a solid multiplayer would blow most titles away.

As Hypertrooper said, titles drop in price so fast im not really planning to get anything till next year. I will buy a game now to tide me over and by the time I finish with it the rest will have dropped in price lol.

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
MGS? As in Metal Gear Solid!??

Tell me more. Metal Gear with a solid multiplayer would blow most titles away.
Yes Metal Gear Solid lol

Peace Walker had a mode called Versus Ops which was basically a 6 player version of Metal Gear Online, it was confirmed that Versus Ops is in the HD version of Peace Walker.

Metal Gear Online was fun as shit and 6 players is all you need really.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
wwm0nkey said:
Tunavi's post reminded me the Holiday games about to hit very soon, so what is everyone final list?

Mine is

Battlefield 3
Metal Gear collection
Skyrim
Halo CEA
Dark Souls (borrowed Demon Souls from a friend and its addictive!)

Gears 3 (bought)
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection (bought)
Forza 4
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Modern Warfare 3
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Saints Row 3
Halo CEA

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (eventually)

I'm thinking that I will shy away from a lot of multiplayer games for a bit. I've been taking Reach matchmaking way too seriously and it ruins the experience when you do that. But I'm still really interested in Skyward Sword and Skyrim. I've also been considering picking up or renting Alan Wake. Never played it and I've had an itch to try it.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
An internal name for a map usually doesn't end of being the actual name of the map. I doubt it would have been called Blockout if the map wasn't cut.
Not to mention Blockout is a pretty generic name in the first place, and would have been a terrific official name for a Halo map at launch. The map in Sandbox was pretty good, I remember it; just like every other Sandbox skybox or crypt map, however, it was dog ass ugly.

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm thinking that I will shy away from a lot of multiplayer games for a bit. I've been taking Reach matchmaking way too seriously and it ruins the experience when you do that. But I'm still really interested in Skyward Sword and Skyrim. I've also been considering picking up or renting Alan Wake. Never played it and I've had an itch to try it.
I think all MP games are that way, or at least for me they are. Just play for fun, play with friends, play things you are entertained by. If you aren't having fun or enjoying yourself, why waste the time? Outside Halo 2 (BTB), I never really enjoyed playing Halo by myself. That's why I plan on picking up BF3 so I can play a shooter alone if I happen to be by myself. I don't care if I necessarily win or lose in there, though it is pretty awesome to win and have those exciting moments.

Striker said:
I think all MP games are that way, or at least for me they are. Just play for fun, play with friends, play things you are entertained by. If you aren't having fun or enjoying yourself, why waste the time? Outside Halo 2 (BTB), I never really enjoyed playing Halo by myself. That's why I plan on picking up BF3 so I can play a shooter alone if I happen to be by myself. I don't care if I necessarily win or lose in there, though it is pretty awesome to win and have those exciting moments.
For the most part, that's what I try to do, even when playing alone. It seems like each day that I jump online to play some reach, my first 2-3 games have quitters, then my next 2-3 games I manage to stay positive or at least even while all three teammates go negative. At this point, I'm so frustrated I start playing poorly. It's like being drug through a cheese grater, naked. I don't like losing, but I try to take everything in stride and focus on positives like my individual performance. But when I'm trying to finish a weekly or daily that requires so many wins, i get really, really irritated with quitters and bad teammates.

I'm pretty sure it was the 50 win weekly that had me barking mad. I would prefer to not have those kind of weeklies. It's so painful losing three to five games for every one win. Barf.

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
I hear that game is REALLY fucking short
I still want to try it. I enjoyed the Borderlands gameplay and Fallout's visuals, and that's how it has been described to me. As for the length, I can blaze through FPS and RPGs while still getting all of the dialogue and the like. I beat Mass Effect in 17 hours with all possible side missions completed.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
WTF are you talking about?
Reading the comments over in the gaming section about the new Xbox/Halo games.

It just really doesn't feel right seeing or even reading Halo 5 or Halo 6, hoping they put a title name on it like they did with Halo 1 (Combat Evolved)

wwm0nkey said:
Reading the comments over in the gaming section about the new Xbox/Halo games.

It just really doesn't feel right seeing or even reading Halo 5 or Halo 6, hoping they put a title name on it like they did with Halo 1 (Combat Evolved)

It only seems weird because Halo 4 isn't out yet. Or do you want them to stop numbing them like Call of Duty?

Call of Duty 9: Modern Warfare 3

FyreWulff

Halo 4 itself looks silly as a name in the first place.

New names for 5 and 6:

Halo: Two DLC Packs
Halo: Definitive Multiplayer Experience 2

with Halo Wars 2: All Units in between 4 and 5, and Halo 2: Anniversary: Mythic in between 5 and 6.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
It only seems weird because Halo 4 isn't out yet. Or do you want them to stop numbing them like Call of Duty?

Call of Duty 9: Modern Warfare 3
I just want the numbers to stop really. I think 4 can get away with it but just barley.

I know some people where wishing for Halo 4 to be called Halo: Forerunner after the Halo 3 ending lol

Okay, HaloGAF, it's time for an atypical discussion. I was looking in this thread and came across this post:
Jtwo said:
Fallen: Halo
This is more of a personal one. I say this as a gigantic Bungie and Halo fan. I have a very soft spot for Halo and always will. But the brand just doesn't have the same cache it once did. At least with me. In large part due to over saturation, I feel. We've had a Halo release every year since 2007, not all of them incredible. Halo is no longer synonymous with console first person shooters. Halo lost the battle for premiere shoot franchise. Somewhere, it lost what made that first game so incredible. Personally, even though I love the Halo fiction, I think the fiction is actually one of the main problems with the series. Its too weird and inaccessible, and with the inclusion of things like earth and covenant campaigns it lost what made that first game so incredible: being trapped alone in a crazy environment. No Halo game has felt like that first one.

Last generation Halo was the godking of console franchises. This gen it just isn't. Last gen Halo was a technical marvel, this gen it just isn't. Last gen Halo defined Xbox Live, this just it just doesn't. Last gen Halo resonated with deep within my core, this gen it just doesn't.
Here's my response:
Dax01 said:
Interesting. I was coming in here to say the opposite. Halo has risen considerably this generation.

Halo 3's launch was an event. It made a huge splash on the online console area by including saved films, screenshots, four player online co-op, a basic game editor, and a robust matchmaking system. All of that and a ten-hour campaign, and you have a package most FPS games still have yet to put together. And that was four years go.

Halo 3's campaign, I felt, was on par with the first for one reason only: its encounters. They're literally a generation ahead of the first Halo's. Complex yet elegant, they're bigger and more involved with an expanded sandbox that take's Halo's design and pushes it further to give you more options. This post about The Ark, and this one about The Covenant illustrate why I'd say Halo 3 is as good as the first game.

Not including Halo Wars, the next big Halo game that released this generation was Halo 3: ODST, and I'd also put that on par with the first game. I really liked the gameplay of ODST in that one weapon wasn't sufficient to take out any enemy you came across, so you had to use everything you had on hand to clear out an encounter (and I think, largely, the encounters in ODST are a great step above Halo 1's, though fall behind Halo 3's). Plus, I loved the atmosphere in ODST, especially in the hub world. And that's another reason I love ODST: the hub world. I think it mostly succeeds in what it set out to do with the hub world when you consider the small development team and the small development cycle.

And I haven't even begin to discuss Firefight. That was definitely keeping up with the times.

Reach took the jack-of-all-trades, master of none approach. Its complete package is on the scale I haven't seen in another console FPS game. Campaign, Firefight, multiplayer, Forge World, saved films and screenshots...there's so much content in this game that even if you don't like one aspect of it, another part will keep you coming back. Despite my feelings of the game when it came out, I wouldn't place Reach on par with the first game.

I'm a campaign guy. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

And remember, you weren't alone in Halo: CE. You had marine buddies. Have you seen the Halo 4 Concept Art Trailer? 343 seems to be taking the franchise in the direction you want it to go.

Halo has evolved a lot from the first game. I don't think you can blame the franchise for evolving and then condemn it for not being the premiere console shooter anymore.

This got me thinking, though. There are some answers I'd like to hear from HaloGAF about the following:
1. What is it about CoD that removed Halo from being the console FPS? Is it something inherent within CoD's gameplay? Is it the marketing?
2. What, if anything, is preventing Halo from taking back its place as the premiere console FPS?
3. What can 343 and Microsoft do to make sure Halo's a bigger success than ever? Namely, bigger than CoD?

Questions 2 and 3 are two sides of the same coin, I admit.

daedalius

Dax01 said:
1. What is it about CoD that removed Halo from being the console FPS? Is it something inherent within CoD's gameplay? Is it the marketing?

Anecdotal evidence from some friends of mine is that they have more 'fun' in something like CoD because they can jump in and get kills (and subsequently be killed many times) really quickly. They don't like being out-DMRd/out-precision'd by someone better than them, especially if they get the first shot. Their idea of charging with the AR rarely pans out well, as one would think in Halo.

Military shooters are just different kinds of games, you don't have to have a good strafe(not that you can have much of a strafe in stock reach) or good aim most of the time to compete, you need to be in the right place at the right time.

I think setting out to be bigger than an existing franchise is an absolutely terrible strategy. You put your best foot forward and let it take you where it takes you.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Dear 343i,

Please put a sub name with Halo 5 and Halo 6, saying Halo 5 and Halo 6 just does not feel right.
Halo 4: The Reclaimer Trilogy, Part 1

I'm sure the Reclaimer bit will feature in the marketing, if not the title. They definitely want to roll with the 4 in the title as part of the effort to make it clear that the Chief is returning, and this is not a side story like ODST and Reach.

Yeah, I kind of did mis-enterpret it Barrow, sorry.
Barrow Roll said:
My post wasn't a reflection on the quality of Uncharted's multiplayer, it's just odd to me that someone would pass up on Uncharted 3 because the multiplayer might stink. That's like not really the main draw of the series at all (for me anyways). It would be like someone passing on AC Brotherhood because they thought the multiplayer sucked. Yeah it's there, but is that really why you're buying the game? Hell naw, I wanna see more of Drake's shenanigans!
True but I can understand that paying the $60 is a lot for the 8ish hours, so when your extra incentive (the multiplayer) turns out to be poor/worse than the predecessors'....

So not buying it "for" the multiplayer, but certainly part of the deal.
Depending on monetary situations, I'm probably there day one, no huge interest in the multiplayer personally, due to not having a crew etc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
wwm0nkey said:
I hear that game is REALLY fucking short

Mirror's Edge is easily in my top 5 this gen though. Albeit short, and with frustrating combat, when that game is at its best it is unlike anything I have ever played.

(And I stole their logo for my Gaf avatar)

kylej said:
Shadow Complex is nearly my favorite 360 game. Any and all who don't own this, stop being scrubs and buy it.
I agree wholeheartedly with this comment. It's completely worth any current price.

vh knows the score

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Shadow Complex for 600? I've been thinking about getting it for weeks. Glad I waited a little.

I'm too busy to play many games, and Halo keeps me happily occupied, anyways. So my list is short:
CEA
Skyrim
Shadow Complex

If I'm not feeling Skyrim, I'm gonna return it and get Dark Souls. I didn't really like Oblivion, but Skyrim looks too good to not try...

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:

Nobody's on the top forever. Not a single franchise and neither are genres. We're currently in a shooter upswing right now. The car driving/racing genre is currently in a recession. Etc.

The RPG had it's bubble in the early 90s, then it was the character platformer, then the car driving/racing game genre, and now we're in the shooter era.

When the FPS bubble finally bursts, it'll be interesting to see how Halo and CoD survive it.

Currently though, I'd describe it as such:

Activison's marketing and the ability to Maddenize a shooter franchise, plus the fact that it's attractive to people since every CoD is "fuck balance" and everyone can get kills. To borrow a wrestling term, it's spotfest gaming with guns everyone can actually shoot IRL, and assisted by Iraq and Afghanistan being in the news constantly.

Watch how many people and even MS reps will say Halo was the "first console shooter that worked", even though Perfect Dark came out only a year before and Goldeneye before that. CoD is that "first shooter" for a lot of people now, not Halo.

I can tell you right now that Halo was helped by N64 owners, aka Goldeneye/Perfect Dark looking to continue their FPS play and not being able to get it on the GameCube (Zero GCN was still 3 years out at that point) and picked up Halo as their first "next gen" FPS. There was a reason why Halo has a GE/PD control scheme in it.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
In Halo - even Reach - poor players get destroyed by better and have a miserable time, even if they get the jump on other players. We have games posted in this thread were people are winning games without dying, or without the other team getting kills. In CoD it seems you can land kills much easier, so anyone can jump in and have some measure of success. (At least, that's what it looks like - I'm not a CoD player.)

It's not that simple and there's more too it (a better reward system is important), but I think that's much of it.

GhaleonEB said:
In Halo - even Reach - poor players get destroyed by better and have a miserable time, even if they get the jump on other players. We have games posted in this thread were people are winning games without dying, or without the other team getting kills. In CoD it seems you can land kills much easier, so anyone can jump in and have some measure of success. (At least, that's what it looks like - I'm not a CoD player.)

It's not that simple and there's more too it (a better reward system is important), but I think that's much of it.

CoD does a better job of rewarding players for their own performance. With the exception of a few challenges like Hardcore MVP in MW2, you don't need to win and your team's performance is largely irrelevant. Player goals are typically self-created ("I want to get prestige 10", "I want this title", "I want to unlock all the attachments for my weapons").

In Halo this isn't the case. You had players losing their rank because they got dragged down by their teammates. Hell, look at the frustration in this thread regarding last week's challenge where players went in by themselves and got terrible matchups.

It's far more complicated than that of course, but I certainly think that's one aspect to it.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
Most games have Legacy bro.

This is a more recent development. Not many games copied it from Halo: The First Console FPS(tm) until recently in the 360's run.

Then you have weirdness like Red Faction: Guerilla having it and then Red Faction: Armageddon NOT having it, or the Brink developers having full customization and forgetting to put Legacy in, and then literally lying to me over Twitter that their game has it.

There's only been a very recent change where every FPS in the Top 10 for Live has Legacy support.

Then you had the ultimate silliness of 4J forgetting to put it into the original release of Perfect Dark XBLA :lol I think the backlash over that was actually the turning point for Legacy adoption.

Top Bottom