• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Letters said:
I would refuse to eat the most delicious dessert imaginable if it came out of a garbage dumpster.
Is Bungie the dumpster? I don't get it.
Rickenslacker said:
I feel like there are bits and pieces that you can look on their own and call great. But in the greater scheme and as a game it comes off as entirely average feeling, and in this market of oversaturated FPS games that might as well condemn it.
I disagree entirely. Reach is good game. All the main Halo games are. Now, whether or not it is a good "Halo" game is an entirely different debate. When it comes to visuals and gameplay, Reach, along with every other Halo shooter released this generation, is remarkably different than most shooters out there in the "market of oversaturated FPS games." With Reach, an average gamer can point to it and say, "Oh. That's Halo." Reach's campaign has its strengths, like every Halo does. Same goes for multiplayer. And even if it does fall flat in most respects, it does so in a manner entirely different from most FPS games (most of those failed respects, anyway).
Dani said:
What's wrong with Forge maps? There's a ton of quality Forge maps that play better than the shipping maps on Reach.
Nothing's wrong with Forge maps, but I'd rather play on developer-made maps. Bungie has tried for two games now to successfully implement Forge maps into matchmaking and both times have come up too short. Personally, for Halo 4, unless 343 can really streamline the process and come out with mostly good maps, I'd rather not see any more Forge maps in MM besides a community playlist.

Dax01 said:
Nothing's wrong with Forge maps, but I'd rather play on developer-made maps. Bungie has tried for two games now to successfully implement Forge maps into matchmaking and both times have come up too short. Personally, for Halo 4, unless 343 can really streamline the process and come out with mostly good maps, I'd rather not see any more Forge maps in MM besides a community playlist.

Unless forge becomes a legit map maker, not just a map editor on steroids I agree completely. Also sacrificing real maps in order to ship them as forge maps was a damn crime. (*cries about how we lost a real Sanctuary remake to Asylum*)

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Unless forge becomes a legit map maker, not just a map editor on steroids I agree completely. Also sacrificing real maps in order to ship them as forge maps was a damn crime. (*cries about how we lost a real Sanctuary remake to Asylum*)
Didn't they also almost cut Reflection? And while it's not how Ivory Tower played (AA's, Shotgun in different spot, no OS), it's still one of the better maps in the game. Too much dependence on Forge World.

Dani said:
What's wrong with Forge maps? There's a ton of quality Forge maps that play better than the shipping maps on Reach.
Same for Halo 3, at least for MLG.

Steelyuhas said:
You have a point, but I think the problem is two-fold. The best map maker in the world won't do you any good if you can't get the best content into the matchmaking quickly and easily (and that goes for removing bad ones from matchmaking).

MrBig

Dax01 said:
You have a point, but I think the problem is two-fold. The best map maker in the world won't do you any good if you can't get the best content into the matchmaking quickly and easily (and that goes for removing bad ones from matchmaking).
Steelyuhas said:
There's at least one thing Valve is continuing to do right with TF2, and both Bungie and 343 better be aware of their map implementation. If we continue to get a map editor and not be allowed to work with the real tools then it must be some sort of perpetually cruel joke on the community.

Dax01 said:

Forge is still a good idea, but again it's something implemented poorly in Reach. We don't see enough integration into say a community map playlist with the best and brightest maps. And the fact that it seemed to be a substitute to real dev maps made it even worse.

A bunch of ideas in Reach aren't bad but their implementation leaves so much to be desired.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If I'm not playing Grey Block World with a shoddy framerate I'm not playing the Halo brought to me by the studio that made Halo.

A27_StarWolf said:
I for one hope the covie vehicles continue to flip out :). One of the best things about reach

What I would really love in Halo 4 is a continuation of other players hosting and being unable to dictate host in customs. So every time I load it up, and the host is good, the game can tell me "NO FUCK YOU" and host switch to something terrible.

Blinding

Devolution said:
What I would really love in Halo 4 is a continuation of other players hosting and being unable to dictate host in customs. So every time I load it up, and the host is good, the game can tell me "NO FUCK YOU" and host switch to something terrible.

Best feature of Reach, hands down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone down for, umm, 11 wins in an hour or so? I wanna get that weekly completed.

Striker said:
Didn't they also almost cut Reflection? And while it's not how Ivory Tower played (AA's, Shotgun in different spot, no OS), it's still one of the better maps in the game. Too much dependence on Forge World.

Reflection was almost cut because it didn't have a place in the campaign for a long time. There was also a real map instead of The Cage at one point, internally named 'Blockout', but they cut the map because it's location in campaign was cut. Integrating the MP maps into the campaign was really a mistake, as Marcus admitted lol.

Dax01 said:

Yeah that's very true.

GhaleonEB said:
Acted like a noob.
tumblr_ljm4i0GvMK1qdf6w8o1_250.gif

Steelyuhas said:
Integrating the MP maps into the campaign was really a mistake, as Marcus admitted lol.

Yeah that was a definite mistake. It didn't really add anything and actually gives either the perception of laziness on Bungie's part by recycling environments.

I liked what they did in Halo 2 though, where maps were based off campaign environments as appropriate (like Colossus, Turf) but this didn't prevent them from making maps that had a different aesthetic from anything seen in the campaign. Lockout, Ivory Tower, and Backwash immediately spring to mind.

Booties

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
There was also a real map instead of The Cage at one point, internally named 'Blockout', but they cut the map because it's location in campaign was cut. Integrating the MP maps into the campaign was really a mistake, as Marcus admitted lol.

Seriously? My friend Vincent Torre did a Halo 3 forge remake of Lockout called Blockout. What a bunch of scrubs, stealing his name like that.

Booties said:
Seriously? My friend Vincent Torre did a Halo 3 forge remake of Lockout called Blockout. What a bunch of scrubs, stealing his name like that.

An internal name for a map usually doesn't end of being the actual name of the map. I doubt it would have been called Blockout if the map wasn't cut.

Louis Wu

I usually don't mind this stuff...

lovethattrueskill.png

The only reason I died as much as I did is because even though the other team (mostly) sucked... they knew enough to team up on me. I had four people teamshotting me at almost all times.

I have NO clue how that game selection was made. :(

Louis Wu said:
I usually don't mind this stuff...

lovethattrueskill.png

The only reason I died as much as I did is because even though the other team (mostly) sucked... they knew enough to team up on me. I had four people teamshotting me at almost all times.

Those players are a nova at heart obviously.

Louis Wu said:

Welcome to Reach.

This is one of the problems when you have an invisible ranking system is you can't see it working. Is it there but just a very bad system? Is it not matching me up properly? Is my skill bugged out and stuck at a particular level?

It's seemingly random and that just makes the situation worse.

Booties

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
An internal name for a map usually doesn't end of being the actual name of the map. I doubt it would have been called Blockout if the map wasn't cut.
I know, but it doesn't mean it still isn't stupid as hell.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Booties said:
I know, but it doesn't mean it still isn't stupid as hell.
Do you honestly think Bungie intentionally "stole" the name for an internal in-progress map from a random Forge map your friend made?

Dug

Banned
lybertyboy said:
Do you honestly think Bungie intentionally "stole" the name for an internal in-progress map from a random Forge map your friend made?
Bungie ninja's, man, BUNGIE NINJA'S.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
Reflection was almost cut because it didn't have a place in the campaign for a long time. There was also a real map instead of The Cage at one point, internally named 'Blockout', but they cut the map because it's location in campaign was cut. Integrating the MP maps into the campaign was really a mistake, as Marcus admitted lol.
You say mistake, I say feature.

FyreWulff

Certain Affinity stole the Highlands name.

From themselves.

The internal/original name of Tombstone was Highlands, and it's still highlands.map in the Halo 2 files.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I actually like halo, it just boggled my mind how it amassed such a huge thread. 6 official threads is really something, combined that's around 116,000 posts or so.

Halo thread have staying power, another forum I post at will be soon celebrating it's 7th year of having a continous Halo thread on a non-Halo centric forum. Add the population of GAF and I can see why it'd be able to pull it off easily.

Top Bottom