• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElzarTheBam said:
If you read one thing today, then read this!
Hmm.

Frankie said:
"a third-person game has different latency problems than a first-person game"
What kind of differences are these? How are they relevant to the issue of dedicated servers? (if not self explanatory)
From the papers I read, latency is a bit more tolerable in Third-Person.

Isn't the Gears 3 implementation of Dedicated Servers & Matchmaking solving the issue that they were talking about in terms of having a joinable start and defined end?

Tawpgun

Zeouterlimits said:
Hmm.

What kind of differences are these? How are they relevant to the issue of dedicated servers? (if not self explanatory)
From the papers I read, latency is a bit more tolerable in Third-Person.

Isn't the Gears 3 implementation of Dedicated Servers & Matchmaking solving the issue that they were talking about in terms of having a joinable start and defined end?

1st person shooters are generally more precise.

It's why Gears can get away with having such varying player models, despite hitboxes being the same.

In Halo, you can miss someone by an inch and it should still count as a miss.

But I'm not sure as to the specifics of the netcode problems and whatnot. All I know is even when Gears 3 isn't running on dedi's it is still incredibly smooth and consistent. But I feel like lag is much more noticeable in a precision oriented game like Halo.

Woops accidental double.

FyreWulff

Willeth said:
Weird. Ben just sat back before the door and I was able to run straight through to the end without any weird teleports or anything.

The conditions for the teleport while doing that glitch are weird (but then again, you're doing something that wasn't expected to be able to be done, anyway)

Tawpgun

Zeouterlimits said:
I figured as much. Wonder if the Gears 3 Dedis were more of a marketing move than a netcode one...

Both in a way.

Host advantage in Gears was HUUUUUGE in the last 2 games. They addressed it, everyone was satisfied.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Host advantage in Gears was HUUUUUGE in the last 2 games. They addressed it, everyone was satisfied.
But my point is asking if the extreme host advantage was because of poorly implemented Peer-2-Peer or were dedis the only real viable and fully effective solution?

Karl2177

I was driving out of town today and it was really foggy. I decided to put on the H3 soundtrack. What a good decision. Farthest Outpost is amazing even if I'm not exploring and discovering an ancient Forerunner desert.

wwm0nkey

Karl2177 said:
I was driving out of town today and it was really foggy. I decided to put on the H3 soundtrack. What a good decision. Farthest Outpost is amazing even if I'm not exploring and discovering an ancient Forerunner desert.
Speaking of that song The Ark cutscene has to be my favorite of all time. Well in-game cutscene at least because Monsters from Halo Wars was just full of bad ass.

Kind of wish more of it was in a first person perspective when the pelican started to drop.

EDIT: I wonder if we are going to see more spaces in Halo 4 like the ones we saw on Halo Wars

kylej

Banned
If Halo 4 doesn't have dedicated servers I'm going to jump out a window. It'll be late 2012. I should not be playing on some 14 year old's torrent-infested Mexican internet connection. Shit, I'll spend $200+ a year and host my own Halo server if it could be integrated with the game.

PooBone

wwm0nkey said:
Speaking of that song The Ark cutscene has to be my favorite of all time. Well in-game cutscene at least because Monsters from Halo Wars was just full of bad ass.

Kind of wish more of it was in a first person perspective when the pelican started to drop.

EDIT: I wonder if we are going to see more spaces in Halo 4 like the ones we saw on Halo Wars
The ones you see on and inside the shield world in the later parts of the game.... I bet we'll see something similar.

kylej said:
If Halo 4 doesn't have dedicated servers I'm going to jump out a window. It'll be late 2012. I should not be playing on some 14 year old's torrent-infested Mexican internet connection. Shit, I'll spend $200+ a year and host my own Halo server if it could be integrated with the game.
STFU kylej.

I agree though. With price increases in Live and their competition staying free, Dedicated servers needs to be what people are paying for, not facebook and twitter integration.

wwm0nkey said:

Halo 3's story was pretty bad but it did have some beautiful cutscenes now and then. Mainly in the levels The Ark and The Covenant.

1. Halo 3: The Ark – Map Room
2. Halo 3: The Ark – Closing
3. Halo 3: The Covenant – Opening
4. Halo 3 – Arrival

Of course, all of Halo 2's cutscenes were awesome. :(

Edit: "Crazy fool. Why do you always jump? One of these days you're going to land on something as stubborn as you are, and I don't do bits and pieces."

I'd have to say The Ark is pretty close to the pinnacle of Halo level design - incredible reveal in the cutscene, varied combat - just great all around. Who designed that one?

GhaleonEB

Syracuse022 said:
I'd have to say The Ark is pretty close to the pinnacle of Halo level design - incredible reveal in the cutscene, varied combat - just great all around. Who designed that one?
Agree. The way it folds in pretty much every notch in the spectrum of Halo's combat is remarkable. From sniping to vehicles to the tank run to the Scarab brawl to the excellent indoors combat in the finale. Remarkable pacing and scope.

It doesn't get as much attention as some of the flashier music, but this is one of my favorite tracks in the game. It set this wonderful feeling near the end of the mission.

GhaleonEB said:
Agree. The way it folds in pretty much every notch in the spectrum of Halo's combat is remarkable. From sniping to vehicles to the tank run to the Scarab brawl to the excellent indoors combat in the finale. Remarkable pacing and scope.

It doesn't get as much attention as some of the flashier music, but this is one of my favorite tracks in the game. It set this wonderful feeling near the end of the mission.
The Ark has simply fantastic level design. The best of example of which can be found right here:
BackVista.jpg

(Stolen from Coco's Hindsight: Halo 3 article).

How many of us noticed the other path leading away from the encounter that we had our attention set on the first time we played the level? Not many, I'd wager. But even if I'm wrong there, it's the layout of the level and the way it directs our attention that makes it so good. The level isn't doing anything to prevent us from taking the adjacent path, but simply does all it can to direct our attention on the encounter before us. Then when we're done with that, only at that moment is the adjacent path given our attention and the spotlight. The level proceeds without it feeling jarring, obtrusive, and rough.

ElRenoRaven

heckfu said:
Oh man, I just realized that CE:A will be the first Halo game without Siege of Madrigal as an Easter egg :(

Yup. It's the end of an era. That's for damn sure. I'm going to miss all the crazy ways Bungie worked it into each Halo game.

GhaleonEB

Also stolen from that article (gawd that series was great, 343 should totally hire those guys), The Ark has one of my favorite moments in the series. After a brief but joyful romp in the Scorpion (tank beats everything), we run into a narrow pass and have to hop out on foot. This is typically where Halo missions choke off the tank progress, and we move onto something different. But in a wonderful head-fake, we're just getting started, and open the gates to see this massive battlefield, with tiers of enemy ranks lined up, and a Scarab stomping right overhead. And we're presented with several ways to advance. The Gauss Hog? The Scorpion? Try and snag a Chopper? Head to the central structure and rock the FRG?

And the the Scarab stomps into the picture again, climing up over the citadel on the horizon and marching back into the battle.

ScarabsBack.jpg

I love the anticipation of seeing it climb back over into view, and slowly march into the fray. The animation as it climbs down from the citadel is so great.

The ongoing battle, the absurdly gorgeous skybox, with the Ark stretching out in all directions, the massive horizon-spanning waterfall off the cliff shelf....the Halo 3 mission desginers were on some potent stuff.

heckfu said:
Oh man, I just realized that CE:A will be the first Halo game without Siege of Madrigal as an Easter egg :(
Isn't Siege Of Madrigal part of the Halo: CEA soundtrack? The rights of the soundtrack belongs to 343i. And so does the secret track(=Siege Of Madrigal), too. But I have no clue about copyright etc. :^)

Havok

Hypertrooper said:
Isn't Siege Of Madrigal part of the Halo: CEA soundtrack? The rights of the soundtrack belongs to 343i. And so does the secret(=Siege Of Madrigal), too. But I have no clue about copyright etc. :^)
If it were as simple as it being a part of the soundtrack, then the rights would also lie with Take 2 Interactive, as it owns the rights to Myth, where Siege originated. I imagine that it's not as simple as all that. Its possible those are just franchise rights, while assets like music remained in Bungie's (and by extension Microsoft's) hands after the buyout.

feel

heckfu said:
Even if they could, it seems very unlikely that Bungie would not allow 343i to put that in. The easter egg has become a very important part of the level for the community, almost everyone spends a couple of minutes enjoying the zen moment the sound of the melody+breeze provide every time they play the level. It has to be there.

heckfu

Banned
Letters said:
Even if they could, it seems very unlikely that Bungie would not allow 343i to put that in. The easter egg has become a very important part of the level for the community, almost everyone spends a couple of minutes enjoying the zen moment the sound of the melody+breeze provide every time they play the level. It has to be there.

I completely agree with you and hope to God it's there as well. Even if it dies after this game that's fine but it won't be a remake to me without it. I know that sounds incomprehensibly dumb to some but I think it's an incredible piece of music and fantastic easter egg.

daedalius

This stuff makes me want to replay Halo 3 even more, but I am trying to go through Reach again right now so I can be ready to do the final level right before Halo Anniversary comes out, then go straight through after that :)

Dax01 said:
Clearly the correct response is to buy more games without ADS/iron sights.

Dear HaloGAF,

Buy and play Half-Life games.

Sincerely,
Dax

You have been pushing it a lot and I really dont get it. Half Life 2 seemed like little more than a physics tech demo to me. Sure the physics were amazing but the combat was aweful. Very very boring enemies. I completed Ravenholm and when I realised the next level was going to be more of the same I uninstalled it. Half Life 1 was probably amazing in its day but it just doesnt stand up compared to Halo for fun factor.

Episode 1 and 2 do seem brilliant, I only played bits of them so I cant comment but I just dont understand the praise Half Life 2 got. (Outside of it being a amazing tech demo for physics. The Gravity Gun was pretty fun.)

That said I LOVE Valve, Portal and Left 4 Dead are so unique and just amazing.

I also loved the Ark on Halo 3, I think the double whammy of The Ark and The Covenant was so fun.

PooBone

kylej said:
The fact that you think this is still remotely funny is astounding. Explains why half of HaloGAF has zero sense of humor though.
Dude, STFU. Who's tryin to be funny? And how does it explain anything?

PooBone

bobs99 ... said:
You have been pushing it a lot and I really dont get it. Half Life 2 seemed like little more than a physics tech demo to me. Sure the physics were amazing but the combat was aweful. Very very boring enemies. I completed Ravenholm and when I realised the next level was going to be more of the same I uninstalled it. Half Life 1 was probably amazing in its day but it just doesnt stand up compared to Halo for fun factor.

Episode 1 and 2 do seem brilliant, I only played bits of them so I cant comment but I just dont understand the praise Half Life 2 got. (Outside of it being a amazing tech demo for physics. The Gravity Gun was pretty fun.)

I also loved the Ark on Halo 3, I think the double whammy of The Ark and The Covenant was so fun.
You're crazy man, Half Life 2 is one of the best games ever.
And yes Ark and Covenant > the rest of Halo 3, or any of ODST or Reach for that matter.

bobs99 ... said:

boo-this-man.gif

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:

I played through Half-Life 2 on the Orange Box for 360 and had the same impressions. I completed it, but had no desire to do so again. Lots of issues, very scripted combat, endless driving sequences and momentum-halting "look at our physics engine" puzzles. I'm glad I experienced it since it's such a well known game, but I found it rather flat.

FyreWulff

I liked Half Life 2 enough to complete it on the original Xbox, even though it didn't have Legacy.

But not enough to play through it again on 360 for achievements.

... you all remember the OXbox port of Half Life 2, right?

Hey You

Hypertrooper said:
Isn't Siege Of Madrigal part of the Halo: CEA soundtrack? The rights of the soundtrack belongs to 343i. And so does the secret track(=Siege Of Madrigal), too. But I have no clue about copyright etc. :^)
I thought all the Halo Music were licensed from Marty's Recording company?

PooBone

Hey You said:
I thought all the Halo Music were licensed from Marty's Recording company?
I am actually completely clueless about this. After Legends I thought Halo Wars and all of Marty's Halo music were open for 343 because it belonged to Microsoft.

GhaleonEB said:
I played through Half-Life 2 on the Orange Box for 360 and had the same impressions. I completed it, but had no desire to do so again. Lots of issues, very scripted combat, endless driving sequences and momentum-halting "look at our physics engine" puzzles. I'm glad I experienced it since it's such a well known game, but I found it rather flat.
You just broke Dax01's heart. How do you feel right now?

Sai-kun

Banned
kylej said:
The fact that you think this is still remotely funny is astounding. Explains why half of HaloGAF has zero sense of humor though.

It's probably the same reason you think trolling reach is still funny :lol I agree with your post that he quoted though. I'd totally throw in a ton of money to run a server or two for all of us. It'd be totally worth it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Gonna have to agree(played on PC though), also I didn't find the gun play all that fun.
baPB6.gif

kylej said:
No dedi's, no sale.*
On launch of course.

GhaleonEB said:
HL2 is more of an exercise in level design rather than a good fps per se.
I consider it an adventure game and yeah, gunplay is weak at best, but it still is an amazing and elegant game

Top Bottom