• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kibbles said:
Ugh can CEA just come out already. That's like the only motivation I have to play Halo right now. AKJSAd
baPB6.gif
ASKFLSDGLSDLGNDFNG

PooBone

Kibbles said:
Ugh can CEA just come out already. That's like the only motivation I have to play Halo right now. AKJSAd
Launch date does seem to be craaaaaawwwwwling toward us really slowly. Maybe we'll get achievements or a vidoc in the bulletin tomorrow.

Damn Halo, why'd it have to come out in November. Why couldn't they have launched it around October 11, 2001?

ElRenoRaven

I beat Half-life thought it was ok. Half-life 2 though I could not finish. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Speaking of games. Steam version of Orcs Must Die is out now. The demo is not remotely the tip of the iceberg. It gets so hectic and fun the further you get.

Now back to whatever it was you were talking about. lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On the "aiming down the sights" or ironsights note, I kind of like how Gears 3 does it. They have one gun that allows you to aim down the sights if you want, or hip fire like normal. It would be cool if Halo 4 had a few guns (that made sense) have some form of ADS, and the rest were normal.

Karl2177

Waypoint could really be improved for future titles. I'm in Waypoint right now, and it feels like a chore to go in and actually do stuff in it. Also, does anyone actually use the recommend feature in Waypoint?

Tunavi

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
On the "aiming down the sights" or ironsights note, I kind of like how Gears 3 does it. They have one gun that allows you to aim down the sights if you want, or hip fire like normal. It would be cool if Halo 4 had a few guns (that made sense) have some form of ADS, and the rest were normal.
Halo has that, but with scopes. DMR has scope, AR doesn't. Scope and ADS are basically the same thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Karl2177 said:
Waypoint could really be improved for future titles. I'm in Waypoint right now, and it feels like a chore to go in and actually do stuff in it. Also, does anyone actually use the recommend feature in Waypoint?
It'd be nice if they could have Waypoint built in to Halo 4 if that's even feasible, rather than having a separate app as it is right now. It feels odd to exit Halo and go into Waypoint to see whatever they put up. Do they put the Bulletin's up on it? It'd be nice if they did put them up on Waypoint to read that is if Waypoint ever does come built in with any Halo.

daedalius

Wow, just read all of the Terminal stuff on ascendantjustice... kinda missed all the cool terminal backstory stuff in Reach.

oh well it seems 343 is totally on-board with the Terminal stuff, can't wait to see them in CEA and Halo 4.

MrBig

Tunavi said:
Halo has that, but with scopes. DMR has scope, AR doesn't. Scope and ADS are basically the same thing.
Yep, Halo puts an overlay on the screen and ADS games center the gun. The effect is the same.

feel

Please don't ever suggest ADS to be put in Halo!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

and GOW3 players might want to have a look at that |OT| right about now :) :)

TheOddOne

Louis Wu said:
"Dancing Guy"? Really?

Here's some documentation of the guys who actually FOUND the egg.
I was just randomly looking at Halo vids on youtube. Most of them are pure bullshit, but saw that clip and was like "THATS FUCKING MARTY!".

daedalius said:
Wow, just read all of the Terminal stuff on ascendantjustice... kinda missed all the cool terminal backstory stuff in Reach.

oh well it seems 343 is totally on-board with the Terminal stuff, can't wait to see them in CEA and Halo 4.
I love easter eggs and backstory stuff in Halo games and I hope 343i keeps doing that.

Letters said:
Please don't ever suggest ADS to be put in Halo!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

and GOW3 players might want to have a look at that |OT| right about now :) :)

Aaah, fresh meat.

But great news about the Sawn shotty being nerfed, I really lathed that thing.

senador

Banned
Anyone having trouble with matchmaking?

I keep getting kicked out a few seconds into searching saying "We had to abort Matchmaking due to networking difficulties, please try again later." I've never seen that. In a party with a friend. NAT is open and everything checks out for me. Searching alone works fine. Must be him.

Plywood said:
It'd be nice if they could have Waypoint built in to Halo 4 if that's even feasible, rather than having a separate app as it is right now. It feels odd to exit Halo and go into Waypoint to see whatever they put up. Do they put the Bulletin's up on it? It'd be nice if they did put them up on Waypoint to read that is if Waypoint ever does come built in with any Halo.

this is almost certainly in the pipe, or at least some kind of waypoint-lite.

in all honesty, i still expect them to do something on-disc for CEA. the waypoint team is working hard on the next version of the platform and it's nearly ready from what i've heard.

i'm willing to take the bet that we see a kinect-enabled waypoint outlet inside the CEA executable.

Sai-kun

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
Aaah, fresh meat.

But great news about the Sawn shotty being nerfed, I really lathed that thing.

I'm not a Gears guy so I never even bothered to go into the thread, but I did just now and I was looking at all the weapon skins, which are super super cool, and now I'm jealous. I want pink and blue and rainbow things >:|

Sai-kun said:
I'm not a Gears guy so I never even bothered to go into the thread, but I did just now and I was looking at all the weapon skins, which are super super cool, and now I'm jealous. I want pink and blue and rainbow things >:|

MAKE IT HAPPEN FRANKY!!!!!

But you do know that you have to pay for those skins right? If you want to get them all, it'll cost you around 35 dollars....

TheOddOne

Sai-kun said:
Don't do it man, don't do it..

wwm0nkey

To say no dedicated servers, no sale is a bit much. Dedicated servers do NOT make the game magically better. Just have a solid netcode and things are all good.

Some of you are forget dedicated servers come with their own share of problems. I want dedicated servers as much as the next guy but I can very easily live without them.

MrBig said:
Yep, Halo puts an overlay on the screen and ADS games center the gun. The effect is the same.
I disagree. Unless I'm not getting what you're saying. There's a difference between zooming in Halo and ADS in other games. You're gun isn't anymore accurate when you're zoomed in, you can just aim easier. ADS allows you're gun to be more accurate. Zooming in Halo is a trade-off, whereas ADS in other games its something you have to do always unless you're extreme CQB.

daedalius

wwm0nkey said:
To say no dedicated servers, no sale is a bit much. Dedicated servers do NOT make the game magically better. Just have a solid netcode and things are all good.

Some of you are forget dedicated servers come with their own share of problems. I want dedicated servers as much as the next guy but I can very easily live without them.

I think I'd rather have some implementation of join-in-progress, so the horrific 8vs2 never happens to me in BTB... like it did earlier.

I disagree. Unless I'm not getting what you're saying. There's a difference between zooming in Halo and ADS in other games. You're gun isn't anymore accurate when you're zoomed in, you can just aim easier. ADS allows you're gun to be more accurate. Zooming in Halo is a trade-off, whereas ADS in other games its something you have to do always unless you're extreme CQB.

You'd really want to not be accurate except in extreme CQB without ADS in a Halo game? That is not very Halo.

Striker

daedalius said:
I think I'd rather have some implementation of join-in-progress, so the horrific 8vs2 never happens to me in BTB... like it did earlier.
Nobody wants to join a game of 8v2. All the join-in games are ones on the losing team.

wwm0nkey said:

To be precise, they're saying:

Plywood said:
No dedi's, no sale.*
On launch of course.
Which is like saying:

"I am boycotting next year's Hobbit movie if it does not have Batman in it. I will NOT go see it in theaters.*

*on opening weekend, of course. Anything after that is fair game though. Also I'm going to buy the bluray.

Take that, Peter Jackson!"

daedalius

Striker said:
Nobody wants to join a game of 8v2. All the join-in games are ones on the losing team.

Well if there was a proper join-in-progress, it would never get to that horribly lopsided in the first place. 2 people would leave, then 2 people would jump in and take their spot; as long as the match isn't ending in like 1 minute or something anyway.

Join in game/ leave in game just leads to a ton of situations where you join a match on the loosing team because all the losers couldnt hack it anymore. Its a LOT more common for losers to leave than when teams are evenly matched. Its a aweful system and when I play Black Ops the first death of the night usually comes from joining a game where the enemy has chopper gunner/ dogs/ whatever. That would be worse with map control and power weapons being held by the winning team. Dont get me wrong after that killstreak ends I can hold my own but when your team is already losing heavily its hard to pull it back.

I also prefer the more personal arena type games when you know the people in the lobby will be the same guys at the end win or lose. You cant really make a trash talker eat his words on CoD because a minuite into the game hes probably been replaced with someone else.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
The zoom factor is the same. In now way did I mention combat, in which obviously greatly differs.

daedalius said:
You'd really want to not be accurate except in extreme CQB without ADS in a Halo game? That is not very Halo.
Huh? I didn't say that anywhere in my post.

Edit:
MrBig said:
The zoom factor is the same. In now way did I mention combat, in which obviously greatly differs.
What do you mean by zoom factor? You don't zoom (enough to really make a difference) when using ADS like in CoD. Or are you talking about something completely different?

daedalius

Dax01 said:

Probably am reading what you said incorrectly.

I'm just saying ADS isn't very halo-ish. I prefer the reticule being there on the screen all the time, and then zoom weapons; pretty much exactly what we have now.

daedalius said:
Probably am reading what you said incorrectly.

I'm just saying ADS isn't very halo-ish. I prefer the reticule being there on the screen all the time, and then zoom weapons; pretty much exactly what we have now.
Yeah. I agree. I don't to see ADS anywhere near a Halo game. Ever.

Dax01 said:

Edit:

What do you mean by zoom factor? You don't zoom (enough to really make a difference) when using ADS like in CoD. Or are you talking about something completely different?
You do when you put something like an ACOG scope on your weapon. When I put an ACOG scope ob ny Famas for the first time in MW2, it kinda looked like a BR.

The idea if scoping in CoD and Halo are pretty similair, only the names are different.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
Which is like saying:

"I am boycotting next year's Hobbit movie if it does not have Batman in it. I will NOT go see it in theaters.*

*on opening weekend, of course. Anything after that is fair game though. Also I'm going to buy the bluray.

Take that, Peter Jackson!"
It's about sending a message*, I want Halo 4 but I want it with dedicated servers. This is the series that put Xbox on the map and it deserves better than P2P netcode and US v. Germany v. Australia v. Mexico matchmaking.

Also the bet I made with Barrow Roll.

thezerofire said:
Oh whoops, I mean second picture
It's from the new Firefight map "Installation 04". You can watch the b-roll here. Or a video commented by the lovely Mr. Ellis.

Map was unveiled at HaloFest.

TheOddOne said:
Halo Anniversary Interview part 1
Halo Anniversary Interview part 2

With Kevin Grace and Chad Armstrong.

They go trough The Pillar of Autumn.
Going to watch it tomorrow. Kevin Grace is really an awesome guy who makes me to want a 3D television.

Btw. what do I have to do to get the awesome Anniversary t-shirt, 117 longsleeve and the 343i hoodie? Damn. Release them! ARGH!

Edit.: It looks like we finally have in-game subtitles. :) That's awesome. Especially for me, because it is hard to listen to the in-game dialogs if you fight through a horde of Elites and Grunts. :)

thezerofire said:
ah that makes sense. I was confused on how there were ODST's and custom armors at the same time.
It was one of the big things, that there will be a friendly-AI on the map. When I played it, I liked how the AI drove. Except the moment, when the AI directly drove to the cliff. Yeah. Suicide AI. :) (Still an awesome looking map. I wished Reach's firefight AI was more aggressive)

Edit.: I told myself I won't watch any new CEA stuff, but. Damn. The game is looking hot.

Tha Robbertster said:
You do when you put something like an ACOG scope on your weapon. When I put an ACOG scope ob ny Famas for the first time in MW2, it kinda looked like a BR.

The idea if scoping in CoD and Halo are pretty similair, only the names are different.
Hm. Okay.
TheOddOne said:
Halo Anniversary Interview part 1
Halo Anniversary Interview part 2

With Kevin Grace and Chad Armstrong.

They go trough The Pillar of Autumn.
This is sweet. Watching now.

Top Bottom