• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tunavi said:
half of those are free programs on my computer and half require another the purchase of another membership to something else

and seriously Starwolf, who the fuck would ever look at twitter on their xbox? lololol the thing was designed for mobile phones

Sounds like a "I don't use it, so the same applies for the rest of the world" kind of statement :p

A27_StarWolf said:
Especially with the new update coming out you get a lot more out of a gold membership.

Netflix
Facebook
Twitter
Lastfm
ESPN
LOTS OF TELEVISION.
Games On Demand
XBL Arcade

A unified UI for everyone playing XBL, I don't need another extra program to party chat with my friend for example.

The 60 dollar cost is becoming more and more justified.
Listen, I use none of those except XBL Arcade, and that's not even a Gold thing, it's a frickin' store. Let's not beat around the bush here all of this is just a poor justification skirting that people buy Gold for the multiplayer, and everything else is just something for those drinking the Kool-Aid to go on about how Gold is such a value™. I mean, where else can I check Netflix Facebook Twitter or Lastfm! Take my money Microsoft.

I just want dedicated servers because Gold is my barrier to playing the multiplayer, so I want the multiplayer to actually be an improvement upon what the competition's offering on the console space.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Sounds like a "I don't use it, so the same applies for the rest of the world" kind of statement :p
sounds like a "I don't pay for this free program, so don't act like you're charging me for it" argument

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tunavi said:
Not sure why Dani is arguing against the improvement of a product for the customer. Fucking rediculous

Seriously dude, do you have reading problems? Read over what I am saying.

Dedicated servers are not the magical fix some of you seem to think they are. Current P2P console technology is in a constant state of improvement. Transitioning to dedicated servers, from P2P will not suddenly make Halo instantly better for everyone.

I am happy with P2P as it works right now and how it has improved over the years. It's not stagnant. It will improve and get more refinements as we go. I'd rather support P2P and the time and investment it has received over dedicated servers.

Dedicated servers favour distinct geographies and hurt international interaction. That's not something I'd want to see happen to Halo as the significant Northern American player base already has a significant influence of online Halo and I'd hate to see the international community be further affected by choices that would mainly only affected on territory.

Thermite said:
Microsoft is single greatest company in the world, with the greatest bosses (particularly Mr. Don Mattrick), greatest working environment, with the smartest, most brilliant people in the whole wide world. How dare you plebeians speak up against such magnificence!

PLZ HIRE ME

Fuck right off with that.

Either reply to what I'm saying or fuck off with the personal attacks.

A27_StarWolf said:
Sounds like a "I and many other people don't use these features, so maybe there should be alternate pricing options" kind of statement

A27_StarWolf said:

If there are free avenues or already used avenues for the things you mentioned you're only hurting your own argument. Live would be perfect with a tiered system for players like me, period, the only real thing I get out of it anymore is playing Reach online. Anything else I just use my current cable subscription or my pc. If I had to at some point cut my spending, live would be the first thing to go, I play one game online. Everything else is just useless fluff to me.

Hell I'd pay the same price if it meant that money would go towards the funding of servers for a game I actually play.

Tunavi

Banned
Look, I'm okay with paying 3 bucks a month to play Halo. However, if other AAA 360 games are getting dedicated servers, Halo (the biggest franchise MS has) should be the first in line to get them. Also, if you are going to take away gaming features (halo 2, xbox original online), replace it with fluff features (twitter, facebook, free programs), AND increase the cost, I have the right to complain.

I'm a customer, I have spent over $500 on Microsoft purchases, and I have a right to want a better product.

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
You dont, i do so do many others. A tiered system would be great

Free = Silver = Marketplace/Chat/Updates
$30-£20 = Gold = Silver + Online
$60-£40 = Platinum = Current Gold + some type of PSN+ type feature.
If XBL was $20 for access to online only, as in PSN (which they get for free), with no shitty restriction on content, I would be less hesitant.

I'd pay the full $60 (which should have remained $50) if it actually benefited the games via free DLC or server hosting.

I have spent $300+ on XBL alone so far. That money could have gone to MS's next console.

Tunavi said:
that feel of embarrassment when people say, "LOL YOU PAY FOR P2P ONLINE?"

In all honesty, £40 isnt really anything significant i can completely justify it when i spend the same for a social meal. When i break what i use down for that £40 for me its more than acceptable, i can see why for others it might not be thats why id like a tired system.

Devolution said:
If there are free avenues or already used avenues for the things you mentioned you're only hurting your own argument. Live would be perfect with a tiered system for players like me, period, the only real thing I get out of it anymore is playing Reach online. Anything else I just use my current cable subscription or my pc. If I had to at some point cut my spending, live would be the first thing to go, I play one game online. Everything else is just useless fluff to me.

Hell I'd pay the same price if it meant that money would go towards the funding of servers for a game I actually play.

No, I'm not wrong at all.

The key word here is *Multi*-Media.

The ability to use it on that device is a justified cost, otherwise you need a computer, or a smart phone, to use some of them, and that is another device right next to you while you are playing games to clutter things up and overload your brain with info.

Making a device more multi media friendly is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

You pay to access the internet on your smart phone, and they have facebook applications. Facebook is free though!

If any of your points are "well just go put your computer right next to you" than you aren't thinking about it from the right perspective.

I view XBL as like buying a data plan for your smart phone. To get the most you can out of it you essentially need one. Just like a smartphone it comes with free applications you can use on that device, that you could very well use elsewhere. The important part is that its on THAT device.

A27_StarWolf said:

The ability to use it on that device is a justified cost, otherwise you need a computer, or a smart phone, to use some of them, and that is another device right next to you while you are playing games to clutter things up and overload your brain with info.

You pay to access the internet on your smart phone, and they have facebook applications. Facebook is free though!

If any of your points are "well just go put your computer right next to you" than you aren't thinking about it from the right perspective.

I view XBL as like buying a data plan for your smart phone. To get the most you can out of it you essentially need one. Just like a smartphone it comes with free applications you can use on that device, that you could very well use elsewhere. The important part is that its on THAT device.

And yet I can opt out of a data plan if I just want to use it like a fucking phone.

A27_StarWolf said:

I agree to some point with your stance on the matter but that dosnt work.

I can use my smartphones facebook app for free at home on my wifi. So why should i not be able to use it on my xbox?

Also, everyone seems to be getting rather hostile.

Devolution said:
And yet I can opt out of a data plan if I just want to use it like a fucking phone.

You can easily Opt out of XBL gold to XBL silver. Play games locally. I don't think you thought that one through :p

Edit- I'm sure opting out of Data plans has plenty of penalty fees.

Also, do I need gold to play Skyrim? NOPE

Devolution said:
It's funny that people would make this argument knowing full well what the fuck I've been playing for months. Hysterical.
Well it's funny you can't realise there are also a number of people who just use an Xbox as a console for gaming and playing DVDs. They get the amazing single player as everyone else, which is often all you'll have with some games. Seriously, online gaming is not the 'staple' of a console experience. The Wii and 95% of previous generation consoles will tell you that.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
You can easily Opt out of XBL gold to XBL silver. Play games locally. I don't think you thought that one through :p

Edit- I'm sure opting out of Data plans has plenty of penalty fees.

Also, do I need gold to play Skyrim? NOPE
vuhwe.jpg

These guys are playing the games they payed for, for free. You don't pay MS and they restrict your access to your own games.

Some of ye guys seem to like complaining too much. Take Reach for example. You complained when Armour Lock ruined your game. They removed it. So then you complained about bloom. They removed it. Now you want dedicated servers because P2P is ruining Reach?

Maybe the game isn't the problem. How many of ye play 'because that is what your friends are playing'? Honest question.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
Some of ye guys seem to like complaining too much. Take Reach for example. You complained when Armour Lock ruined your game. They removed it. So then you complained about bloom. They removed it. Now you want dedicated servers because P2P is ruining Reach?

Maybe the game isn't the problem. How many of ye play 'because that is what your friends are playing'? Honest question.

Why bother probing deeper? Seems like a waste of time when you'll get no proper response here.

Either you must want dedicated servers or else you're a corporate shill. Either you hate bloom or you're a bad player. You either hate Armour Lock or you are a bad player.

Seems like a trend.

MrBig said:
vuhwe.jpg

These guys are playing the games they payed for, for free. You don't pay MS and they restrict your access to your own games.

Cool story, how much was the gaming PC? How many more years of XBL does it take to match that cost?

Steam is a great service, I never said it was not... I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

Speaking of points, someone that opposes P2P should come up with a legit counterargument

Hydranockz said:

P2P isn't ruining Reach (that's left to a thousand other factors), it's mostly that looking to the future. Halo 4 should definitely take note of Gears' improvement in the multiplayer space and staying with host advantage and constant migration for the next game would be embarrassing for the premier Microsoft series.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's users logged in, not playing. I'm always logged into steam but I haven't played in a long ass time.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
That's users logged in, not playing. I'm always logged into steam but I haven't played in a long ass time.
Meanwhile you continue to pay for XBL if you are subbed to it but not playing anything.

A27_StarWolf said:
Cool story, how much was the gaming PC? How many more years of XBL does it take to match that cost?

Steam is a great service, I never said it was not... I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.
In total my tower cost me less than the hardware that I have bought for my 360.
Software =/= hardware.

Anyway I'm done. Stockholm syndrome in full force here.

Dani said:
Why bother probing deeper? Seems like a waste of time when you'll get no proper response here.

Either you must want dedicated servers or else you're a corporate shill. Either you hate bloom or you're a bad player. You either hate Armour Lock or you are a bad player.

Seems like a trend.
Well that's the crux. There is always something to blame. Something to demand more from for less. Maybe it's culture sensitive. I mean, as I type this, my bro is reading his Twitter feed on the 360 because he doesn't have a laptop or a smartphone. I mean, even here in Ireland, akin to Austrailia, we are hardly getting all of the benefits US Gold members receive. Even the Rewards scheme would be nice :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Rickenslacker said:
P2P isn't ruining Reach (that's left to a thousand other factors), it's mostly that looking to the future. Halo 4 should definitely take note of Gears' improvement in the multiplayer space and staying with host advantage and constant migration for the next game would be embarrassing for the premier Microsoft series.

I think the reason Gears 3 has dedicated servers is because Epic is handling the operations and funding of them, not Microsoft. I could be wrong, though.

I'd love to have dedicated servers for Halo 4 just as much as anyone else and there is absoluely nothing wrong with that, period.

Dani said:
There is also nothing wrong with not wanting them, either.
There might be something wrong with arguing that we don't need them and that the current situation is "fine" and that people who want more are over-entitled Americans, however.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Rickenslacker said:
There might be something wrong with arguing that we don't need them and that the current situation is "fine" and that people who want more are over-entitled Americans, however.

Go ahead. Respond to the things I mentioned. I'm still waiting.

Rickenslacker said:

Americans can be over entitled, we still have a "car for every kid" mentality for example, we are not willing to do manufacturing jobs because they are "below us".

Dani, and I both made reasonable points about the cost, infrastructure, and other prospects of dedicated servers.

Suggesting that is all that has been said about the subject is either a lie or you haven't read the posts...

Keywords on the TU2 whiteboard that included things like "free maps", "BR", "more .map files" and "moar armur" are being wiped off to make way for the new one.

2 years after launch, 343 announces dedicated servers for Halo: Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:
The whole dedicated server thing is just funny. Over-entitled Americans crying every time the host doesn't live within walking distance from them.

P2P is just fine the way it is. It's not perfect but it works. No need to change it. Dedicated servers won't fix global latency differences now or in the future nor will they "save" Halo.
Wow. Fucking wow.

Incredible.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
You guys just need to get FiOs.

*evil laugh*
FiOs is not magically available everywhere and Verizon doesn't want to expand FiOs availability for the foreseeable future.

Dani said:
Go ahead. Respond to the things I mentioned. I'm still waiting.
I don't know what response you even want, or why an objective improvement to the way the multiplayer is incorporated would be something anyone wouldn't want. It just seems pointless to be arguing against something like that rather than not caring either way.

A27_StarWolf said:
Dani, and I both made reasonable points about the cost, infrastructure, and other prospects of dedicated servers.

Suggesting that is all that has been said about the subject is either a lie or you haven't read the posts...
Certainly not, but they are points that I take issue with. That, and all you've brought up are tertiary features that just about any device with an internet connection can access.

Top Bottom