• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

kylej

Banned
Xbox LIVE brings an unbeatable entertainment experience right to Xbox 360. Connect with friends, download and play games, and access a huge library of games and music in an instant. So what are you waiting for? Jump in!*

*This post sponsored by People for International Interaction

Merguson

Banned
Speaking of all this Xbox Live Gold talk...

Just checked my subscription and it expires tomorrow. I'm literally finished with Halo: Reach so not bothering to renew.

Not that I need Xbox Live for Skyrim to ruin my social life, oh right, never had one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Plywood said:
Wow. Fucking wow.

Incredible.

Have you had your head in the sand? There's been a stream of posts on here whining about hosting during Halo games. Bad hosts, foreign hosts, Mexican hosts. Not being able to select host during Customs.

It's all just petty whining. And yeah it's coming from over-entitled American players that have no idea about the playing conditions for non-American players.

I suspect that an average match for for any of the non-American players here would send the American folks here that regularly whine about host and bad connections straight into an insane asylum.

From the perspective of a non-American player, I honestly think folks are being entirely unrealistic and entitled with what they expect when playing a video game on a console with players across the globe.

Rickenslacker said:
What if you could sprint and evade?

fEyvD.jpg

Dani said:
Have you had your head in the sand? There's been a stream of posts on here whining about hosting during Halo games. Bad hosts, foreign hosts, Mexican hosts. Not being able to select host during Customs.

It's all just petty whining. And yeah it's coming from over-entitled American players that have no idea about the playing conditions for non-American players.

I suspect that an average match for for any of the non-American players here would send the American folks here that regularly whine about host and bad connections straight into an insane asylum.

From the perspective of a non-American player, I honestly think folks are being entirely unrealistic and entitled with what they expect when playing a video game on a console with players across the globe.
But Dani, you're so silly! Dedicated servers added to Reach will not only justify $60 for Gold, but it also solves every issue you listed for those whining!

Rickenslacker said:
I don't know what response you even want, or why an objective improvement to the way the multiplayer is incorporated would be something anyone wouldn't want. It just seems pointless to be arguing against something like that rather than not caring either way.

Certainly not, but they are points that I take issue with. That, and all you've brought up are tertiary features that just about any device with an internet connection can access.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31734559&postcount=16144

Judging by:
- The way Halo matchmaking and playlists are set up
- The positive reception of Reach's netcode
- Frankie's indifference when mentioned by that interviewer posted by Hypertrooper earlier

we won't be seeing dedicated servers for Halo 4. Just a hunch.

Xbox live Gold costs a fee and I'm merely ok with that; I get to play the games I want online, reliably. People trying to justify the price tag by citing Facebook and Twitter access, however, are utterly delusional and would probably gladly accept a fee to breathe oxygen.

Thermite

Dani said:
Fuck right off with that.

Either reply to what I'm saying or fuck off with the personal attacks.

I didn't personally attack anyone, dude. Give me a break. LOL

Dani said:
If PC gaming is so fantastic, why not stick it and forego console gaming? They are two different platforms serving distinct demographics with very little crossover.

Oh lord...the logic being used here is ridiculous. "Don't like it, move on."

It's ignorant to assume that consoles simply need to catch up the PC platform in terms of online infrastructures.

If you want dedicated servers and if you want play your games at sub-30 ping all the time just bail out of console gaming altogether. It's not going to happen and bitching about it won't make a single bit of difference.

Again, DAT LOGIC. Look, just because something isn't likely to happen doesn't mean users shouldn't express their desire to see things like A) the ability for users to purchase and host their own servers, B) really low ping, C) an open network, etc to eventually come to XBL. It's like saying people shouldn't bitch about bloom because no one is likely going to fix it. If the Halo community in general wouldn't have bitched the way it has the past year or so about bloom, would 343 really have had any desire to introduce zero bloom? I don't think so.

Microsoft has some of the best networking engineers in the industry working on Live and developing P2P technologies. There has been close to a decade worth of continuous investment and development in this particular model and it won't be abandoned any time soon.

More than Microsoft's so called best networking engineers, I think what has really helped p2p gaming is more of these two things: people getting access to much faster connections and developers becoming more knowledgeable with how to make netcode.

Dani said:
Ultimately geographical limitations and physical connections will always present unavoidable complications and not even dedicated servers can solve those issues.

You finally bring up a decent point. Thank christ. You're right in that geographical locations are always going to present their own problems. If a dedicated server is hosted somewhere in the US and you try to connect from Ireland, chances are your experience isn't going to be great. But just because you aren't going to have a great experience and it doesn't change anything you for, doesn't mean it wouldn't change a lot for the majority (if not all) connecting users that live in the US or near it.

Introducing dedicated servers wouldn't make the experience any worse for you. I don't see why you're advocating not improving the experience for a majority of users (even if it's not you that sees said improvement) when it doesn't affect you in a negative way. The fact that you wouldn't have to worry about what an individual host is doing - streaming, torrenting, standbying, whatever - while playing a game (like you do right now in p2p) should be a welcome change by itself...

heckfu

Banned
A little late to the argument, but it's 60 USD. If you can't spare $60 annually for something you seem to care very deeply about in Halo you're doing some SERIOUS mismanagement of funds. Xbox Live is by FAR a better service than the shit that Playstation is feeding people and has some of the best customer service I've ever used between internet/phone/twitter support.

Today I've used Last.FM, Netflix, Reach, and ESPN3 to watch the France football game. Seems justified (personally) for me.

heckfu said:
A little late to the argument, but it's 60 USD. If you can't spare $60 annually for something you seem to care very deeply about in Halo you're doing some SERIOUS mismanagement of funds. Xbox Live is by FAR a better service than the shit that Playstation is feeding people and has some of the best customer service I've ever used between internet/phone/twitter support.

Today I've used Last.FM, Netflix, Reach, and ESPN3 to watch the France football game. Seems justified (personally) for me.

I love you so much right now.

kylej

Banned
People actually chastising others for wanting more features and a better consumer experience for their money. I've seen it all, folks.

heckfu said:

Yeah that's great for you, now imagine the people who don't have an interest in utilizing those things or seeing price hikes for implementations they couldn't give a fuck less about. There's nothing wrong with desiring "a la carte" price tables. Even cable is looking into it now in order to keep people on.

Nothing to do with mismanagement of funds and looking at what that money is really netting me, especially when other products are doing it better or cheaper. You guys can tell me all of the wonders about those applications, fact is, I don't give a fuck. I only have texting and voice on my phone, and no I don't pay penalties to go without a data plan. If someone wants to parse down a payment because they're paying for services they don't use, I will side with them and their desire to see a pay structure reflect their decisions as well.

kylej said:
People actually chastising others for wanting more features and a better consumer experience for their money. I've seen it all, folks.
It's nice to want things.

It's not as nice to whine all the time :p

kylej

Banned
thee henery said:
Why the fuck is the pistol a four shot kill in the tu but the DMR is a five? Bug or intentional?

You already got one of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time for $60 USD. Please don't complain, you got your moneys worth. Complaining hampers International Interaction™. Thank you.

heckfu

Banned
Devolution said:
Yeah that's great for you, now imagine the people who don't have an interest in utilizing those things or seeing price hikes for implementations they couldn't give a fuck less about. There's nothing wrong with desiring "a la carte" price tables. Even cable is looking into it now in order to keep people on.

Nothing to do with mismanagement of funds and looking at what that money is really netting me, especially when other products are doing it better or cheaper. You guys can tell me all of the wonders about those applications, fact is, I don't give a fuck. I only have texting and voice on my phone, and no I don't pay penalties to go without a data plan. If someone wants to parse down a payment because they're paying for services they don't use, I will side with them and their desire to see a pay structure reflect their decisions as well.

duly noted, appreciated, and understood. all great points.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:

I've played Gears 1 on a 3mbps connection that was used amongst a family of 5, I know shitty connection. Okay? Okay.

I don't understand how I'm entitled for wanting something that PC gamers have had for years on end.

Just because you put up with it doesn't mean you should have to. In fact, why aren't you complaining? Are you just holding a defeatist attitude towards the situation instead of letting your voice be heard? Maybe just maybe if they put up servers for the UK you'd have a much more enjoyable experience rather than taking the P2P lag fest you say you are having.

I myself have had connection issues from PA to California. But no, the Reach netcode is infallible and all of our issues are just made up and we should never ask for improvement on something. We should all just be cool with the netcode because it goes so far as to only getting the job done.
Dani said:
If PC gaming is so fantastic, why not stick it and forego console gaming? They are two different platforms serving distinct demographics with very little crossover.
So we shouldn't have standards? Fine.

You all enjoy your sub-30fps, gray world lego land, jaggie "but the skyboxes are so pretty" premiere franchise and don't expect anything better because all you guys seem to want is the status quo or less.

Louis Wu

TheOddOne said:
I was just randomly looking at Halo vids on youtube. Mo[st of them are pure bullshit, but saw that clip and was like "THATS FUCKING MARTY!".
Heh - I wasn't berating you, I was annoyed at the guys who made the video (and seemed to want to take credit for discovering it, even though they had no clue what they were looking at, and they put their vid up 2 months after the egg was first found).

Dax01 said:
The US is bigger. And that's only the continental US.
um...
usaAust.jpg

Also, holy shit in general at the traffic explosion over dedicated servers. Who knew this was such a hot-button issue for HaloGAF?

Halo: Reach lOT7l Doesn't afraid of Anything
Halo: Reach lOT7l Love Blooms on the Battlefield
Halo: Reach lOT7l *Obligatory 7 Reference*
Halo: Reach lOT7l Armor Lock is the Best
Halo: Reach lOT7l Frankie Save Us
Halo: Reach lOT7l The Mystery of the Clipping Shotgun
Halo: Reach lOT7l The Halo Cycle: Therefore Aliens
Halo: Reach lOT7l Too Colorful for GAF
Halo: Reach lOT7l Betcha Can't Sticky It
Halo: Reach lOT7l I Will Name Him Jorge

And my own favorite...

Halo: Reach lOT7l Has Consumed a Galaxy of Flesh and Mind and Posts

Louis Wu said:
Also, holy shit in general at the traffic explosion over dedicated servers. Who knew this was such a hot-button issue for HaloGAF?
10 years on sir and those wounds go deep.

AKA We've come this far without dedicated servers... Surely they are not an issue now that connections and netcode only get better?

Tunavi said:
bought. hope you're doing alright, dude
I am, thanks. Still have some broken ribs that are a pain while trying to sleep, but otherwise I'm doing pretty good. Headed back to work next week, alas. :-\

and boy do I miss the Chopper. The Ark was loads of fun as usual, even though I prefer Reach's default controller setup.

2ldxh1y.jpg

I'm in England and Dutch hosts are vulgar so I can totally believe that East coast of the US to the West would be problematic and not a case of spoilt Americans.

ElRenoRaven

Going to put my 2 cents in. I also find it bullshit to pay for live. That said sadly I do.

Also we don't need a tier system. We already have it. We just need a reshuffling of what you get with each. Basically do it like Live is done on the PC. Aka Silver is free to play but gets none of the extras.

Silver (Free):

Basic online play aka P2P
Voice chat in game only
Messages, invites, etc

Gold (whatever they want charge):

Basic online play
Voice chat
Party chat
Dedicated servers
All the other useless crap aka Hulu, twitter, Facebook, netflix, espn, last fm, etc, etc, etc

They'll never do that though because most would probably go silver. I know I damn well would.

feel

Did that interviewer in the new Kevin Grace video really suggest that maybe it's time for them to move on from Halo??? Did he think he was interviewing Bungie guys?? FAIL

Anyways, the flashlight and particle effects look fucking fantastic. Shame about the lack of shadows (on the characters) and ambient occlusion.

KevinRo

Louis Wu said:
Heh - I wasn't berating you, I was annoyed at the guys who made the video (and seemed to want to take credit for discovering it, even though they had no clue what they were looking at, and they put their vid up 2 months after the egg was first found).

um...
usaAust.jpg

I hope you understand the concept of population density.

Louis Wu said:

It's a good thing NeoGAF isn't P2P, this argument would have...

[Selecting new host, please wait]

taken a lot longer. I assume the Gears of War 3 thread doesn't have any of these problems, they can argue all they

[500 - Internal Server Error]

ncsuDuncan said:

taken a lot longer. I assume the Gears of War 3 thread doesn't have any of these problems, they can argue all they

So right im glad we are using servers now

StalkerUKCG was banned from server

Thermite

ncsuDuncan said:

Legit LOL.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just raged playing a game. Wanna know why? My rocket got shot in mid fucking air. Take that shit out man. It's 100% luck.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
I just raged playing a game. Wanna know why? My rocket got shot in mid fucking air. Take that shit out man. It's 100% luck.
He was shooting in your general direction, he deserved the random kill. Right? Or does that only apply to bloom?

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

ROFLMAO

That's just too freaking funny. HAHAHAHAHA

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thermite said:
I didn't personally attack anyone, dude. Give me a break. LOL

Insinuating what you did just because I'm expressing an opinion counter to the majority here agree with, yeah, that is personal.

I have no hidden motive when expressing my opinion on a public forum and don't appreciate anyone suggesting otherwise.

Thermite said:
Oh lord...the logic being used here is ridiculous. "Don't like it, move on."

There nothing wrong with my logic here. Steam and Live are two different products and services that, whilst having many similarities, are separate things entirely.

If you want all of the features of PC gaming, simply stick to PC gaming.

Thermite said:
Again, DAT LOGIC. Look, just because something isn't likely to happen doesn't mean users shouldn't express their desire to see things like A) the ability for users to purchase and host their own servers, B) really low ping, C) an open network, etc to eventually come to XBL. It's like saying people shouldn't bitch about bloom because no one is likely going to fix it. If the Halo community in general wouldn't have bitched the way it has the past year or so about bloom, would 343 really have had any desire to introduce zero bloom? I don't think so.

Look, A and C aren't going to happen any time soon. Just take a step back and look at how Live has developed and the direction it is heading into.

The comparison with bloom here is silly. The majority of Reach players haven't cared about bloom at all, just a very small yet vocal minority. The TU changes and the TU playlist shows us the reaction. We're getting a token Zero-Bloom gametype. The majority of players will be playing with 15% bloom reduction and most won't even notice that.

Bottom line is, I don't think dedicated servers are a magical cure all. The way folks have brought up dedicated servers here recently is that they will solve all, if not most of, the connection problems Reach has. It wouldn't and won't.

Thermite said:
More than Microsoft's so called best networking engineers, I think what has really helped p2p gaming is more of these two things: people getting access to much faster connections and developers becoming more knowledgeable with how to make netcode.

Microsoft has been promoting Live as the premier P2P online solution along with their TrueSkill matchmaking service. Halo has been the poster child of the service since Halo 2 launched.

People credit Bungie for most of the online functionality in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach but forget how aggressively Microsoft invested in this particular area and the technology involved due to the fact that Halo was their shining example of how the service worked.

Thermite said:
You finally bring up a decent point. Thank christ. You're right in that geographical locations are always going to present their own problems. If a dedicated server is hosted somewhere in the US and you try to connect from Ireland, chances are your experience isn't going to be great. But just because you aren't going to have a great experience and it doesn't change anything you for, doesn't mean it wouldn't change a lot for the majority (if not all) connecting users that live in the US or near it.

Why should I have to put up with a sub-standard connection when playing with American players? That what dedicated servers would do. Right now the game selects what it thinks is the best host. That means some games I have the chance of playing with a better host for me with little noticeable impact on other players.

And when US players join non-US servers? Well, they would quit. Going by the reaction here to non-American hosts right now, many of you just wouldn't accept playing under those conditions but you'd all happily accept the opposite just because of majority rule.

Non-American countries would have real issues sustaining healthy numbers to justify the server costs. American would have dozens if not hundreds of servers for sure. It's everywhere that won't have that infrastructure.

Thermite said:
Introducing dedicated servers wouldn't make the experience any worse for you. I don't see why you're advocating not improving the experience for a majority of users (even if it's not you that sees said improvement) when it doesn't affect you in a negative way. The fact that you wouldn't have to worry about what an individual host is doing - streaming, torrenting, standbying, whatever - while playing a game (like you do right now in p2p) should be a welcome change by itself...

I think I've explained how I think it would. Joining any server not located in your particular region would be instantly obvious and off-putting. Never mind the constant and consistent permanent disadvantage non-local-to-the-server players would have.

The only folks that would see a substantive benefit would be the average American player. I don't think it's worth violating the current ecosystem to get this result and not, at what I think would be, at the cost of the players from other, small, territories.

Plywood said:
I've played Gears 1 on a 3mbps connection that was used amongst a family of 5, I know shitty connection. Okay? Okay.

I don't understand how I'm entitled for wanting something that PC gamers have had for years on end.

Just because you put up with it doesn't mean you should have to. In fact, why aren't you complaining? Are you just holding a defeatist attitude towards the situation instead of letting your voice be heard? Maybe just maybe if they put up servers for the UK you'd have a much more enjoyable experience rather than taking the P2P lag fest you say you are having.

I myself have had connection issues from PA to California. But no, the Reach netcode is infallible and all of our issues are just made up and we should never ask for improvement on something. We should all just be cool with the netcode because it goes so far as to only getting the job done.

So we shouldn't have standards? Fine.

You all enjoy your sub-30fps, gray world lego land, jaggie "but the skyboxes are so pretty" premiere franchise and don't expect anything better because all you guys seem to want is the status quo or less.

The status quo I'm willing to accept here is P2P under a constant state of improvement. I don't believe dedicated servers will magically solve all the problems folks think it will.

The rest of hyperbole is just... yeah. I want 60FPS too.

Top Bottom