• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez said:
Well, yea, I'm giving CEA a chance too, but I think I'm really just over Reach's gameplay, I appreciate the effort they put into the TU though, they didn't have to do that.

Yeah when it comes to MP, CEA is the last chance for Reach as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the new maps and by playing with the TU options 343i can salvage something that I'd want to play, we'll see.

And as Letters says, they'll need to have good playlist management as well, especially as I don't see myself ever playing vanilla Reach's MP ever again.

It's a real shame I dislike Reach as much as I do because from a networking viewpoint it plays so well online (except for the host migration stuff), and there is a lot of good stuff in the game like Firefight. I wonder what H2 would be like with Reach's netcode...

FyreWulff

Gears was so close to being enjoyable and then they had to go back and add that sawed off. Oh well, at least Horde is still awesome. I find myself leaning more towards only the co-op modes of new shooters and less towards versus.

It's a real shame I dislike Reach as much as I do because from a networking viewpoint it plays so well online (except for the host migration stuff), and there is a lot of good stuff in the game like Firefight. I wonder what H2 would be like with Reach's netcode...

Tawpgun

Woorloog said:
Have you seen the timeline caused by Halo: First Strike?
There's a fucking timeloop there.
I'd have to re-read. Want to summarize?

And yeah, Sawed Off is an abomonation to Gears gameplay.

Sorta like bloom and AA's :p

Woorloog

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I'd have to re-read. Want to summarize?
Paraphrasing a bit
August 30
-The POA leaves Reach, heading towards Alpha Halo
September 19
-The UNSC Pillar of Autumn arrives at Alpha Halo
September 22
-Alpha Halo is destroyed
September 23
-A Time/Date Record Anomaly continues from this point in the narrative, resolved above on Sep 7, 2552.
September 7
-The Time/Date Record Anomaly of Sept 23, 2552 most likely rejoins the correct timeline.
-Red Team obtains the Forerunner Crystal
September 13
-Battle of the Unyielding Hierophant
October 20
-Halo 2 begins

As you can see... The Master Chief took part into the Battle of the Unyielding Hierophant. While he was in Cryosleep aboard the POA.

This should summarize the events and show the timeloop.
Read the Halopedian article too, in case my summary doesn't work http://www.halopedian.com/2552

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Played a couple more ZB games last night and my first ever 85% bloom. Yeah, no thanks, I'll take ZB for the rest of my life. :)

Also, I always giggle when I see someone using a DMR in ZB. Oh, silly rabbit!

MrBig

Photolysis said:
I don't think a lazy port counts and it sure ain't Reach's netcode. :/

(Does H2V actually allow dedicated servers like Halo PC?)
Don't bother. There are probably 2 players online right now. Not only was it a lazy, contracted port by MS, it has zero respect and is actually hated by the H1 dev community.

FyreWulff said:
Halo 2 PC has dedicated servers. And easily boosted achievements. And will never be acknowledged by Waypoint or Bungie.
Not that the MP achievements would really need to be boosted under normal circumstances, but you're never going to get the play on all maps and modes legitimately anymore since the last time I was on it only had like 1 active server being a Coagulation server with BR and random second weapon starts.

Ugh.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:
Not that the MP achievements would really need to be boosted under normal circumstances, but you're never going to get the play on all maps and modes legitimately anymore since the last time I was on it only had like 1 active server being a Coagulation server with BR and random second weapon starts.

Ugh.

Just easier to get 3 other people in a player-hosted lobby then you just go down the list selecting maps and gametypes.

So many servers are just fucking MLG on Midship or Snipers Foundation.. STOP IT. Last time I was on, someone had rented about 20 different servers so they could overtake the server list to advertise their website.

I can't wait until X years from now when they reveal a Halo 2 remake and say "and for the first time, achievements!".

thezerofire said:
Yeah they greatly decreased its gib range. It no longer gibs at a range longer than the gnasher
My main problem with is when people just sit around a corner with it at a place you can't see them. It really promotes camping IMO.

Tha Robbertster said:
My main problem with is when people just sit around a corner with it at a place you can't see them. It really promotes camping IMO.
yeah that's my main problem too. I mostly just hang back and lancer, and wallbounce like crazy if I have to be in a close range situation with a sawed-off user

FyreWulff

And then on the complete opposite end of the spectrum: the Halo 2 shotgun

That thing might as well just shot dice for the way it worked off-host

you can even re-arrange the letters to 'hostgun'

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:

Mind. Blown.

MrBig said:
H1/2 used Handel Gothic. H3 used Conduit ITC.
Do you know if Handel Gothic is what ODST is written in in the Halo 3 ODST logo. Also what about the reach logos and menus.

Mucho thanks on hadel gothic btw iv been trying to track it down for a long time now.

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
Do you know if Handel Gothic is what ODST is written in in the Halo 3 ODST logo. Also what about the reach logos and menus.

Mucho thanks on hadel gothic btw iv been trying to track it down for a long time now.
Yes, that is the ODST font as well as the 343 font.

iirc the Reach UI font was a modified Segoe and wasn't released.

MrBig said:
Yes, that is the ODST font as well as the 343 font.

iirc the Reach UI font was a modified Segoe and wasn't released.

Custom fonts? RAGE!. At least the microsoft font ended up getting released via their xbox tools.

Oh actually seems this could be it.

TV Nord Condensed

Dave Candland From Bungie

TV Nord Condensed and TV Nord Condensed Bold.

"This is a font authored for legibility display on a TV. The font in the Vidoc and the font in Reach are the same."

Incredibly pricey

kylej said:
The level of donging that my OG Halo friends and I do in CoD is scarcely believable. Win streaks over 150+ games, 3.5+ k/d ratios. Join the dark side bro. You can play what you want, when you want, with what weapons you want, and completely shit on angry 12 year olds all day long. It's glorious.

It was amazing playing with you guys but I was dieing way more than I was happy with, so many shots wouldn't register, my k/ds and stuff were good, but not the amazing k/ds i need to pull to really enjoy that game.

lttp - you guys need to ship me to America or come move to the UK.

Also Halo 2 XBLA needs to happen. I want a new halo game (just so it has a decent population) with the mechanics I enjoy.

Hey You said:
Damn, Bing rewards are US only. I would think that since Xbox rewards are open to Canadians, another Microsoft service would be too.

Dont you have to submit to "skill testing" or something when you win something. I thought sweepstakes didnt work in Canada for this reason

Oozer3993

FyreWulff said:

Ahh yes, the good old Lottery Gun. How I (don't) miss thee.

Hey You

StalkerUKCG said:
Dont you have to submit to "skill testing" or something when you win something. I thought sweepstakes didnt work in Canada for this reason
Yeah, we have to do a math question to claim the prize. Usually the contest host put elementary school math questions or straight out give you the answer.

Hey You said:
Yeah, we have to do a math question to claim the prize. Usually the contest host put elementary school math questions or straight out give you the answer.
Id make it wicked hard. Multiply the known particles in the universe by the estimated population of earth in the year 2552 then divide by 343 then multiply by 7.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:

I recall it being dubbed the "slotgun" because of the way it behaved. You could demolish someone or, alternately, make noise and alert them to your presence with it.

FyreWulff said:

It all makes sense now!

Ah Shotty CTF on host. Almost as unbalanced as a host's sniper rifle on coagulation*

*Seriously, if you had a sniper rifle and rockets as host on Coag you were god. I once ended up with something stupid like 64 kills 0 deaths, though admittedly against a fairly weak opposition.

StalkerUKCG said:
Custom fonts? RAGE!. At least the microsoft font ended up getting released via their xbox tools.

Oh actually seems this could be it.

TV Nord Condensed

Dave Candland From Bungie

TV Nord Condensed and TV Nord Condensed Bold.

"This is a font authored for legibility display on a TV. The font in the Vidoc and the font in Reach are the same."

Incredibly pricey

4 weights/styles for 99 bucks isn't pricey ;p.

Woorloog

Banned
Speaking about Halo 2, most of my MP experience is limited to 3-4 player split screen FFA slayer games with a friend and my brother. Swords was ridiculous, regardless of the splitscreen section/player slot/controller my brother would win most of the sword clashes. Apparently he simply was incredibly lucky, or did Halo 2 take in account millisecond differences in pressing the triggers? Because if it did, it is strange how quickly he could press the trigger.

Woorloog said:
did Halo 2 take in account millisecond differences in pressing the triggers? Because if it did, it is strange how quickly he could press the trigger.

It's done on a per frame basis, so you have at most a 33ms window for both to get a hit in, depending on when the attacks come in. In the worst case scenario you could have no time whatsoever, such as in the following hypothetical situation:

0ms: New Frame!
32ms: Player 1 melees
33ms: New Frame!
33ms: Player 2 melees

1ms difference, but Player 1 will win because of the timing.

kylej

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
It was amazing playing with you guys but I was dieing way more than I was happy with, so many shots wouldn't register, my k/ds and stuff were good, but not the amazing k/ds i need to pull to really enjoy that game. .
Move to the East Coast broseph. All people I play video games with should move to the East Coast. Specifically New England. Join us ivory tower educated elites as we dong across the many virtual battlefields of bad kids.

Devolution said:
4 weights/styles for 99 bucks isn't pricey ;p.
It is when your not in the habit of buying fonts, i may bite the bullet and do it.

kylej said:
Move to the East Coast broseph. All people I play video games with should move to the East Coast. Specifically New England. Join us ivory tower educated elites as we dong across the many virtual battlefields of bad kids.

I can live in your house and eat your food? brb booking flight. Ill buy the games pay the internet bill.

Had an interesting conversation with my local EB Games store today.

Went in to pick up Forza 4. Last time I was there I traded in a whole bunch of my games and got a few hundred worth of credit... so I more or less spread credit over several pre-orders on games I knew I would love. Halo CEA, Forza, Rage, BF3, Saints Row, Dark Souls etc.

So I go in today and after receiving my copy of Forza I ask the lady to check what games I have left pre-ordered. Saints Row 3, Halo CEA and BF3. So I ask the lady, "Hey, can you cancel my BF3 preorder". Fuck. Me. That started some shit.

She begins by asking why. No number of "I don't want it anymore" statements seems to be clear enough for her. Eventually she asks, have you played it? I tell her that I played the Beta and thought it was awful. So some 18 year old starts telling me that it's just a beta and that it will all be fixed etc. I just chuckled, told her it was coming out a week or so from now and that I don't believe her... and to cancel my pre-order.

So I begin to walk away and then realize that I cancelled a $50 pre-order but didn't 'move' the credit anywhere else or receive a gift card. So I walk back in and ask what she did with the $50 credit. I have been put down for Modern Warfare 3 (Hardened edition or some shit?). I tell her to cancel that and put the credit onto Halo and SR3 to pay them off fully. Again, some shit stirs up and she starts asking me why I'm not excited for MW3. I don't explain this time, I just tell her that I'm not a COD fan and to cancel. Then the icing on the cake... I have $10 or so left over and am asked what I would like to do with it. I ask for a gift card because there is nothing else I want from EB Games pre-ordered (price rip-off's in Australia). Same girl, starts asking me if I want Skyrim. Yeah I do, but I will wait - I've got a shit load of games to work through and the inevitable GOTY edition will be far more appealing by that point. She has trouble grasping the idea that I don't immediately spend my money on any game that I might have a mild interest in.

Fuck EB. I need to walk in there exactly 2 more times (possibly 1? same day for SR3 and CEA I think) - and then I ignore there business from here on out. So fucking annoying getting questioned over basics.

Edit: When I was cancelling BF3, I told her I was more of a Halo fan than realistic shooters. I was almost certain that I had accidentally shit my pants, given the disgusting look she gave me.

She was a little bit attractive.

Ken

Stripper13 said:

amazon_crave.jpg
steam_logo.png

All you need.

MrBig

Stripper13 said:
She begins by asking why. No number of "I don't want it anymore" statements seems to be clear enough for her. Eventually she asks, have you played it? I tell her that I played the Beta and thought it was awful. So some 18 year old starts telling me that it's just a beta and that it will all be fixed etc. I just chuckled, told her it was coming out a week or so from now and that I don't believe her... and to cancel my pre-order.
I think it's really cool that you make assumptions about things that you don't have knowledge of. The Beta was well over a month old by the time you played it. Many of the problems you faced were fixed, possibly even before the beta shipped but were unable to be certed. Reviews have already begun coming out for the game and have portrayed a much better picture of the game through their first hand experience with the shipping game. Demize has been on twitter daily the last few weeks confirming bug fixes and changes.

It's fine that you cancel your pre-order, and she shouldn't have questioned your decision, but seeing statements like that shows me nothing but ignorance.

Ken

Stripper13 said:
I don't think Amazon applies to Australia... at least for region-locked games etc. Last time I checked anyway.

Oh, didn't know you were in Australia.

Games down there are expensive, aren't they? I walked into a Target in Cairns once and saw some random (terrible) 360 games for 99 bucks each.

Stripper13 said:
Had an interesting conversation with my local EB Games store today.

[snip]

Fuck EB. I need to walk in there exactly 2 more times (possibly 1? same day for SR3 and CEA I think) - and then I ignore there business from here on out. So fucking annoying getting questioned over basics.

Damn, this is why I buy online. Cheaper, I usually get it earlier, and I don't have my time taken up by sales reps trying to dissuade you from cancelling because they have a quota to meet.

I wouldn't accept being second guessed and having to justify myself like that when it's my money I'm spending.

Stripper13 said:
I don't think Amazon applies to Australia... at least for region-locked games etc. Last time I checked anyway.
.co.uk is the amazon you need.
Good on you for standing your ground and not putting up with her pushy must have pre-order twatery.

MrBig said:
I think it's really cool that you make assumptions about things that you don't have knowledge of. The Beta was well over a month old by the time you played it. Many of the problems you faced were fixed, possibly even before the beta shipped but were unable to be certed. Reviews have already begun coming out for the game and have portrayed a much better picture of the game through their first hand experience with the shipping game.

It's fine that you cancel your pre-order, and she shouldn't have questioned your decision, but seeing statements that shows me nothing but ignorance.

Not really the topic for BF3 beta arguments.

Needless to say, what I experienced is far more relevant to my opinion on the games potential, than reviews/impressions from a build I have yet to see.

Oh and of course the biggest issue for me were not glitches... but rather, a dull game with shitty visuals (on 360). I even managed to play Caspian Border on a friends Gaming Rig... and as nice as it looked... I'm just not a fan of military shooters. I think it's fair to say that DICE won't be 'fixing' the gameplay for me.

Ken said:
Oh, didn't know you were in Australia.

Games down there are expensive, aren't they? I walked into a Target in Cairns once and saw some random (terrible) 360 games for 99 bucks each.

Expensive as hell most of the time. I've imported from a few places before and saved a lot of money... but the delivery times seem to be questionable most of the time.

Top Bottom