• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not underestimating any team just because they don't have points.

I think you may have taken that the wrong way... I'm not talking about underestimating anyone's skill level - when that first game starts you'll realize there was nothing to be nervous about.

daedalius

PooBone said:
It sounds like you just aren't used to it yet. No one complained about it in Halo 1-3, everyone complained about the change in Reach, now that people are adjusted, it's changed again, and it feels awkward. Don't worry, you'll get the feel for it.

Its not that I'm not used to it, it is the fact that I am dying through part of my shield when I shouldn't have been. Like I said, it seems totally random. Sometimes I'll 4shot some dude with my DMR, and it makes no sense. I'm watching for that shield to pop, but he just dies.

I hope that the 3sk pistol in Anniversary is 2 shots for shield clang/drop and then a 3rd to properly line up a headshot. Shield graphics weren't nearly as pronounced in the other games, and they especially didn't have the clang and pop that we have now. I like that, I think it is something Reach did correctly.

I like bleedthrough melee, but I don't like bleedthrough on guns, or at least how it is currently implemented.

Also, for a bit of lore-nerd stuff, I was thinking about the BR compared to the DMR, and by their ammo capacity, is the DMR round a much higher caliber/larger round compared to the BR? If we are fighting giant monstrosities in H4, the DMR might be a better weapon considering it fires much larger rounds than a BR (or the BR fires the same size rounds and the damage model is just funny in the game ;)), they should also explode a microsecond after penetrating the body. Now they just need to get rid of bloom on it, give it an RoF cap, and make it 2x scope.

If the BR and DMR conceivably fire the same rounds, and each round does the same amount of damage, you'd be dying in 2 shots from the BR, heh.

Edit after research: So hmmm, BR55 uses 9.5x40mm and the DMR uses 7.62x51mm; so the BR actually appears to use larger and more powerful, experimental ammunition(armor-piercing high-explosive). The DMR should really have a larger clip, hah.

Imo, bring back the BR55, it is obviously a beast. The M6 fires 12.7mm explosive rounds? Really, the only realistic way to model this pistol is the 3sk classic monster.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
What gametypes do you usually try to get in doubles? You must be boss-hogging some serious kills.
Most of the time, it's Arcadefight.

Protip for Corvette: when you spawn, head right (from the direction you face at spawn), and use that platform. Your partner will probably go left, initially lured by the sleeping Grunts. What they don't know is, when there is one player on each platform, all of the enemies will go to the one with the sleeping grunts. You'll be free to hang out mostly untouched. If your partner is one of those guys running up to the doors, even better.

I use the sniper class (sniper/DMR) and go for what ever side my partner is not working on. The DMR/Sniper on that map wreaks stuff, as it's the ideal range for both weapons.

Looking at my game history, it looks like I average 220 to 230 kills on Corvette in Doubles per game. I might try to push harder, see if I can do this in four games rather than five.

Also,
The first or second chapter confirms Noble team as canon, if you see glasslands as canon too. It stung in the way that polite rebukes always did, with a little extra smack in the mouth for disrespecting men and women in uniform. Am I really that rude? Yes, I suppose I am. Halsey bit back the indignation that had been fermenting since she’d first seen complete strangers on Reach daring to wear the Spartans’ Mjolnir armor.

Tha Robbertster said:
Also,
The first or second chapter confirms Noble team as canon, if you see glasslands as canon too. It stung in the way that polite rebukes always did, with a little extra smack in the mouth for disrespecting men and women in uniform. Am I really that rude? Yes, I suppose I am. Halsey bit back the indignation that had been fermenting since she’d first seen complete strangers on Reach daring to wear the Spartans’ Mjolnir armor.
Noble Team was always canon...

Kind of funny, that people aren't talking about the Halo 4 tease in Chapter 2. (Haven't checked HBO yet)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Risen said:
I think you may have taken that the wrong way... I'm not talking about underestimating anyone's skill level - when that first game starts you'll realize there was nothing to be nervous about.
Oh ok, I gotcha. I hope so man. Last nights scrums went pretty well so I'm confident in my team. Just gotta make sure I can adjust to the split screen and back again.

PooBone said:
It sounds like you just aren't used to it yet. No one complained about it in Halo 1-3, everyone complained about the change in Reach, now that people are adjusted, it's changed again, and it feels awkward. Don't worry, you'll get the feel for it.
What? I thought shields had to be down for a headshot in previous games too.

-------
I think the TU's bleed-through was a neat experiment for Reach, but isn't worth putting into matchmaking.

The TU changes I'd like to see implemented:

Vanilla Reach - 85% bloom. Armor Lock tweak. Active Camo tweak. Sword block removal.

Classic gametypes - 85% bloom. Sword block removal. Normal classic tweaks to movement, shields, etc.

(Seriously. Bloom will only affect the DMR, as there shouldn't be any Needle Rifles or Reach Pistols anyways. If you want the faster kill time of ZBS vote for the gametypes with the CE Pistol.)

Zero Bloom Slayer playlist - 0% bloom. Maybe include bleed-through here, but only here.

(Although I would be okay with adding ZBS as a voting option in SWAT.)

-------
It would be nice to have melee-only bleed-through, but as it stands now it's broken by medpack bugs and headshots through shields.

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
Oh ok, I gotcha. I hope so man. Last nights scrums went pretty well so I'm confident in my team. Just gotta make sure I can adjust to the split screen and back again.

Play some 2v2's with your mates tonight... it will help adjust. A lot of people play better on either top or bottom, figure out if you have a preference... And put your most vocal guy in the middle if you don't all have headsets that can plug into the mixamps.

ncsuDuncan said:
It would be nice to have melee-only bleed-through, but as it stands now it's broken by medpack bugs and headshots through shields.
I've been loving the return of headshots through shields, but I have to say: what the hell happened at Bungie after Halo 1? Did they burn the health pack design documents? How is it that they still haven't reimplemented health correctly 10 years later?

Hypertrooper said:
Noble Team was always canon...

You know there were some problems with the tFoR and Halo Reach when it came to canon. There is even a site called HaloReachisnotcanon.
It shows a stand that Karin Travis and 343 are taking. They could have ignored Halo Reach and never mention noble team again.

I know many people say game canon overrules book canon but I still like it when things match up with eachother.

Tashi

Risen said:
Play some 2v2's with your mates tonight... it will help adjust. A lot of people play better on either top or bottom, figure out if you have a preference... And put your most vocal guy in the middle if you don't all have headsets that can plug into the mixamps.
We won't be able to play tonight at all. Tomorrow we plan on hitting the warm up stations hard. They all have Astros so I don't have to worry about that. I just wanna shit on kids lol

Tawpgun

On the topic of seeing people as avatars...

I think I'm going to try and pull off an Ash costume for Halloween. Will post pics if I can get it to happen.

PooBone

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't think so... depending on the weapon of course. I could be mistaken, but the bleedthrough/lack of a clang in Reach post TU feels normal to me.

Risen

ncsuDuncan said:
I think the TU's bleed-through was a neat experiment for Reach, but isn't worth putting into matchmaking.

Why? It's all preference maybe... but just curious, because you seem so definitive in your view.

For me, I love the bleed through. I cannot count the number of doubles or triples I've had that would not have been prior to bleed through. They would have been a traded single kill or double. It rewards good aim and punishes poor positioning. It speeds up the game.

For my Halo... I've yet to see a single down-side to it.

Tashi0106 said:
We won't be able to play tonight at all. Tomorrow we plan on hitting the warm up stations hard. They all have Astros so I don't have to worry about that. I just wanna shit on kids lol

You playing in the FFA if you are able?

daedalius

Risen said:
Why? It's all preference maybe... but just curious, because you seem so definitive in your view.

For me, I love the bleed through. I cannot count the number of doubles or triples I've had that would not have been prior to bleed through. They would have been a traded single kill or double. It rewards good aim and punishes poor positioning. It speeds up the game.

You playing in the FFA?

Well if they are going to put it in, it needs to be reliable. I shouldn't be randomly 4sk'ing people with my DMR, and I shouldn't be getting it in return. In H3 we KNEW it was 3 body, 1 head; that resulted in a kill barring anything weird. In reach up till now we know it is 4 body, 1 head, for a 5sk. If they make it 4sk, it needs to always be 4sk.

FyreWulff

Aw yeah. No RBN demos are part of this number:

zCLXcl.jpg

I can never buy another song again.

Tha Robbertster said:
You know there were some problems with the tFoR and Halo Reach when it came to canon. There is even a site called HaloReachisnotcanon.
It shows a stand that Karin Travis and 343 are taking. They could have ignored Halo Reach and never mention noble team again.

I know many people say game canon overrules book canon but I still like it when things match up with eachother.
Why should they ignore Halo: Reach? Games will always overrule the book... (sadly).

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
On the topic of seeing people as avatars...

I think I'm going to try and pull off an Ash costume for Halloween. Will post pics if I can get it to happen.

Better start benching, son.

Tha Robbertster said:

For me, Noble Team is canon. The shit with the Pillar of Autumn isn't, at least not completely.

Hypertrooper said:
Why should they ignore Halo: Reach? Games will always overrule the book...
But they shouldn't try and overrule it in the first place.

Blue Ninja said:
For me, Noble Team is canon. The shit with the Pillar of Autumn isn't, at least not completely.

THat completely baffled me. I still would like to know why they thought is was necessary to retcon the entire second half of FoR. It just seemed so unneeded.

Risen

daedalius said:
Well if they are going to put it in, it needs to be reliable.

Well yeah... of course... but this is a "TU Beta" - it's not a final release. Obviously it needs to be reliable, and they definitely need to address the difference in the pistol and dmr in some way, whether that is a pistol start, pistol as pickup, or adjusting to ensure the pistol and dmr have the same shot/kill ratio.

But conceptually... and how bleed through plays... I'm seeing more benefits than detriments. It feels like a big improvement on game play to me.

Hypertrooper said:
Why should they ignore Halo: Reach? Games will always overrule the book... (sadly).

Maybe the people at 343 didn't like how Bungie went with the story of Reach and would chose to ignore it rahter then saying it wasn't canon in their book. Also the nods in the defiant map pack to tFoR.

But with this, I think it shows that 343 it embrases the story established with Reach.

Blue Ninja said:

I too liked the story with noble team but I'm still a bit sour about them breaking the canon of the books while it could have simply be fixed with some different dialogue, different mission order and a different last mission.

Tha Robbertster said:
Maybe the people at 343 didn't like how Bungie went with the story of Reach and would chose to ignore it rahter then saying it wasn't canon in their book. Also the nods in the defiant map pack to tFoR.

But with this, I think it shows that 343 it embrases the story established with Reach.
They had to accept the story changes from Reach...

Tawpgun

kylej said:
Better start benching, son.
ololol

The body physique aint going to happen, but I'm still going to go for it. Campbell wasn't exactly jacked or anything as Ash anyway. That's just the promo pictures :p

The shirt and pants is easy enough. I want to find a back holster that will hold a toy shotgun and then some lightweight toy chainsaw.

Rip up the shirt some, get some fake blood. Good to go.

Tashi

Risen said:

You playing in the FFA if you are able?
Nah I haven't even though about that.

GhaleonEB

Tha Robbertster said:
And how many of those people actually give a shit about the story?
The players who buy the books in the first place?

I'd wager that most people who read Halo books do so because they love the Halo universe - which stems from the games. I'd be sort of backward to start ignoring the story in the games and overrule it with EU books. (Even if the story in Reach wasn't up to par.)

FyreWulff

Except that the game leads directly into Halo 1, and is a mainline Halo title.

I'm one of those people that view the games as first class canon citizens and everything else as second class. The vast majority of the TFoR fits just fine.

Holding the entire series canon hostage to a book that was written before the first game even came out, before Bungie even KNEW they'd be making another Halo.. is just kind of silly.

John is supposed to be the last known active Spartan, and Glasslands is already looking to add another predictably-going-to-die Spartan to the canon to maintain John's status, unless they send her off in a ship to the Canon Quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy to stay in Canon Cyro until the UNSC discovers the Canon Beacon that she's set off and goes and retrieves her with the UNSC Writ Unto Canon.

Tawpgun

I don't really care about the POA being on the ground.

Worst things that Reach did was the entire aspect that there was a covenant deployment on Reach for WEEKS before the actual invasion. The military hub of the UNSC couldn't handle a small covenant deployment....

Were they really that stretched thin?

And the other pet peeve... I can buy that a team of Spartan III's was assembled to NOT go on suicide missions, but to be a ready and able spartan team to go against innies or other needed missions.

What I DON'T like is that Jorge is with them as a Spartan II. That was never explained.

And how Halsey knew about Noble and then was taken by surprise when she found out about Spartan III's on Onyx. With all her clearance (and abilities to get past clearance) did she really not find out they were III's? Did she think they were really the second generation of II's?

GhaleonEB said:
The players who buy the books in the first place?

I'd wager that most people who read Halo books do so because they love the Halo universe - which stems from the games. I'd be sort of backward to start ignoring the story in the games and overrule it with EU books. (Even if the story in Reach wasn't up to par.)

But people who love the Halo universe and read the books, have probably all read tFoR. I found it rather disappointing that Bungie chose to ignore that part of the book even though we saw it as canon for almost 10 years.

True, I bet there are people who prefer Reach's story over that one told in tFoR. I'm not saying that I hate Noble's story.

But I'm sure that the people who made the HaloReachisnotcanon site would have really wanted 343 to just ignore Reach's story.

Tha Robbertster said:
And how many of those people actually give a shit about the story?

Doesn't matter. The people that care about the book's story have already seen the canon inconsistencies and discussed them. That damage has already been done, and hopefully those people have accepted the game as the final authority (however begrudgingly).

Changing the canon AGAIN would needlessly repeat that damage and confuse even more people.

HaloReachIsNotCanon has already stirred up its fair share of drama and has finally gone relatively quiet.

We don't need HaloGlasslandsIsNotCanon to bring that back.

GhaleonEB

Tha Robbertster said:
But people who love the Halo universe and read the books, have probably all read tFoR. I found it rather disappointing that Bungie chose to ignore that part of the book even though we saw it as canon for almost 10 years.
No argument there. I still don't understand why Reach was crafted with the story it told. It's entirely possible to nestle a side story within the broad strokes of The Fall of Reach, rather than up and contradict major aspects of it. Beyond the major plot points, I still don't get why Reach was re-imagined as this sort of outpost with a thin military presence that was snuck up on and rocked by a tiny Covenant invasion force, before reinforcements arrived some time later. It was supposed to be the height of UNSC military power that was overwhelmed by the largest invasion force the Covenant has ever gathered.

The setting and cadence of the invasion are just totally disconnected from all canon, even the intro in the Halo 1 manual.

ncsuDuncan said:
Doesn't matter. The people that care about the book's story have already seen the canon inconsistencies and discussed them. That damage has already been done, and hopefully those people have accepted the game as the final authority (however begrudgingly).

Changing the canon AGAIN would needlessly repeat that damage and confuse even more people.

HaloReachIsNotCanon has already stirred up its fair share of drama and has finally gone relatively quiet.

We don't need HaloGlasslandsIsNotCanon to bring that back.

I dind't even get close to saying I thought Glasslands shouldn't be considered as canon. Neither did I say that 343 should change Reach to non canon. I was only stating something I noticed in the first chapter of Glasslands that confirmed my believes that 343 would keep Reach as canon.

You said that people who love the canon already know about the canon inconsistencies. I consider myself to be one of them but could you point some of the out to me; I really don't know any of them.

Tha Robbertster said:

I too liked the story with noble team but I'm still a bit sour about them breaking the canon of the books while it could have simply be fixed with some different dialogue, different mission order and a different last mission.
The data drops seem to at least re-retcon the dates in Reach to better suit those in TFoR.

wwm0nkey said:
THIS!

Reach pissed me off A LOT from the stuff they changed.
fpupfmoru.gif

FyreWulff said:
Holding the entire series canon hostage to a book that was written before the first game even came out, before Bungie even KNEW they'd be making another Halo.. is just kind of silly.
It didn't need to lead into Halo 1, at least not for me. Even then, they could've written so many different stories that lead into Halo 1 and keep the canon intact. They didn't.

Holding the entire story hostage to a game that came out before Bungie even KNEW they'd be making another Halo... Is just kind of silly.

But this is a dead horse I can keep beating. Reach is what it is, for better or for worse. One thing's for certain: I'm glad Bungie handed the series over to 343. I'm hoping they do a better job.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:

-------

The TU changes I'd like to see implemented:

Vanilla Reach - 85% bloom. Armor Lock tweak. Active Camo tweak. Sword block removal.

The only ones I'd find acceptable to implement into the rest of Reach would be the AA changes, and that's because they're so minor as to be a non-factor. Camo still lasts really long and the AA drain is a complete waste of anything other than a sword swing. The better solution is still to remove them completely from gametypes where they don't work.

They did put the AA changes in the Zero Bloom and 85% gametype, right? Because we conducted numerous tests with the camo where there was a very minor difference in the distance I could run or crouch walk across Asylum before cloak runs out versus vanilla.

Homeboyd said:
That's what I was thinking of.
Hypertrooper said:
*response*
Excellent points here. Okay, I take it back. You know, thinking about it more, I think I had realized this, but I was misplacing the source of the conflict for whatever reason.
Tha Robbertster said:
Also,
I have no problem with Noble Team being canon. It's the rest of the events told in Halo: Reach that causes problems.

Anything in Halo: Reach that contradicts TFoR, I don't consider canon.
GhaleonEB said:
No argument there. I still don't understand why Reach was crafted with the story it told. It's entirely possible to nestle a side story within the broad strokes of The Fall of Reach, rather than up and contradict major aspects of it. Beyond the major plot points, I still don't get why Reach was re-imagined as this sort of outpost with a thin military presence that was snuck up on and rocked by a tiny Covenant invasion force, before reinforcements arrived some time later. It was supposed to be the height of UNSC military power that was overwhelmed by the largest invasion force the Covenant has ever gathered.

The setting and cadence of the invasion are just totally disconnected from all canon, even the intro in the Halo 1 manual.
I think you just pointed out why it's easy to ignore Halo: Reach as canon: it contradicts pieces of information in other Halo games.

Anything in Halo: Reach that doesn't contradict itself with the books or the other Halo games I'd consider canon. If it doesn't, then I don't consider it canon.

Edit: As to holding the game to the book: I'd be sympathetic to this view if there weren't any other way to make the game other than to contradict the book. But that's not the case. There are numerous the story could've been rewritten so that it didn't contradict the book. But Bungie didn't do that.

Tha Robbertster said:
I dind't even get close to saying I thought Glasslands shouldn't be considered as canon. Neither did I say that 343 should change Reach to non canon. I was only stating something I noticed in the first chapter of Glasslands that confirmed my believes that 343 would keep Reach as canon.

You said that people who love the canon already know about the canon inconsistencies. I consider myself to be one of them but could you point some of the out to me; I really don't know any of them.
You said that 343 had the option of ignoring Reach's canon.

I was arguing that 343 did NOT have such an option and that the game's canon could not be ignored.

Other than that, we agree. I never put words in your mouth, I was just giving examples for why ignoring Reach's canon would be absurd.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A27 Tawpgun said:
And how Halsey knew about Noble and then was taken by surprise when she found out about Spartan III's on Onyx. With all her clearance (and abilities to get past clearance) did she really not find out they were III's? Did she think they were really the second generation of II's?

This is explored in Glasslands.

Top Bottom