• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ncsuDuncan said:
You said that 343 had the option of ignoring Reach's canon.

I was arguing that 343 did NOT have such an option and that the game's canon could not be ignored.

Other than that, we agree. I never put words in your mouth, I was just giving examples for why ignoring Reach's canon would be absurd.

Alright, I gues I understood it the wrong way.

I think we can agree to disagree on the subject.

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:
They did put the AA changes in the Zero Bloom and 85% gametype, right? Because we conducted numerous tests with the camo where there was a very minor difference in the distance I could run or crouch walk across Asylum before cloak runs out versus vanilla.

lol

daedalius said:
Well if they are going to put it in, it needs to be reliable. I shouldn't be randomly 4sk'ing people with my DMR, and I shouldn't be getting it in return. In H3 we KNEW it was 3 body, 1 head; that resulted in a kill barring anything weird. In reach up till now we know it is 4 body, 1 head, for a 5sk. If they make it 4sk, it needs to always be 4sk.

You aren't 'randomly' getting a 4sk. The player was hurt when you shot them, so it took less shots. Just like every other Halo game.

Hey HaloGAF ever seen a warthogs engine .

OetxWl.jpg

Cortana tells me about UNSC ships and warthogs.

daedalius

The Real Napsta said:
You aren't 'randomly' getting a 4sk. The player was hurt when you shot them, so it took less shots. Just like every other Halo game.

I don't believe they have been hurt some of the time, but that makes sense. Wouldn't the only way for the shields not to 'pop' is getting back into combat before a full recharge? Because if it wasn't interrupted in the process, or they were still weak before a recharge, you'd still be counting down from 4 shots to pop the shield.

I guess when I've been 4sk with the DMR I am coming under fire before my shields have recharged fully. I'll try to keep an eye on that in the future. This is fine, I guess I am just expecting that feedback-loop of the 'pop' before I get headshot :)

A V6, what!? The 'hog sounds way too throaty for a V6; must be dat hydrogen.

StalkerUKCG said:

WarthogRender.jpg

Cortana tells me about UNSC ships and warthogs.
That's a lot of poligons, Reach's warthog engine is just a flat texture.
I have the feeling Halo 4 will look fucking awesome.
TheOddOne said:
Been playing Halo 3, with no real reasoning behind it, and got to The Ark.

That desert.

That desert.

Thats all I have to say today.
An Invasion map taking place on the Ark needs to happen, that and a Covenant cruiser Invasion themed map.

wwm0nkey

Its weird I just got done playing some Shadowrun and it got me thinking, if Bungie would have tried for more vertical/larger maps and make bloom play how it does in Shadowrun, Reach could have had an amazing start.

daedalius

wwm0nkey said:
Its weird I just got done playing some Shadowrun and it got me thinking, if Bungie would have tried for more vertical/larger maps and make bloom play how it does in Shadowrun, Reach could have had an amazing start.

I wonder how much of a divide there was in Bungie about bloom while it was in development; surely some of them must have seen close-range random-spam missing as an issue. I'm pretty sure people complained about it a lot in beta as well.

Come back BR55, come back... (h2 spread hitscan though)

Thagomizer said:
What annoys me is the time travel thing.
I never had a problem with it. It works. Gets the Chief back to Reach.

I loved First Strike for its greater ensemble of characters rather than the three in Reach (Halsey, Keyes, and John). Admiral Whitcomb was so awesome, deserving to be in the great pantheon of Sci-Fi captains. Johnson, Haverson, Polaski, and Locklear...then when they are all together with Halsey, Fred, Kelly, Linda, and Will. So good.

daedalius

kylej said:
Twin turbo? Do they give the BHP and torque?

I see no Turbochargers, I think those two boxes on the sides are just air-boxes, probably enclosed to prevent water from being taken in.

Besides, not sure how a turbocharger could even work with a hydrogen based engine, since you need a powerful exhaust stream to spin said turbocharger. Not exactly sure what a hyrdrogen engine puts out as exhaust...

Ya know, as bad as AA's are, they simply do not hold a candle to the poop stain that is the Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears 3.

Not sure why they even put that in considering the Gnasher was more than capable of gibbing at close range already, but you at least had to sort of aim it.

Ramirez

Ya know, as bad as AA's are, they simply do not hold a candle to the poop stain that is the Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears 3.

It could always be worse people!

kylej

Banned
daedalius said:
I see no Turbochargers, I think those two boxes on the sides are just air-boxes, probably enclosed to prevent water from being taken in.

Besides, not sure how a turbocharger could even work with a hydrogen based engine, since you need a powerful exhaust stream to spin said turbocharger. Not exactly sure what a hyrdrogen engine puts out as exhaust...

Look like intercoolers to me. I didn't know Warthogs ran on hydrogen. That shit is way past my level of caring about Halo fiction.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:

It could always be worse people!

Neutral flag with AAs, that's how it could be worse.

Ramirez

LAUGHTREY said:
Neutral flag with AAs, that's how it could be worse.

lol, that's close.

I've already cleansed myself of Reach, looks like Gears is next on the list. If BF3 ends up lackluster...I have to turn to MW3. Sigh

daedalius

kylej said:
Look like intercoolers to me. I didn't know Warthogs ran on hydrogen. That shit is way past my level of caring about Halo fiction.

Yea, I think they are just air-boxes that probably seal with the hood so it always pulls air from up top, preventing water from getting in there, etc (similar in design to how Jeep actually makes their airboxes irl).

Yea, this is getting a bit deep.

feel

Ramirez said:
lol, that's close.

I've already cleansed myself of Reach, looks like Gears is next on the list. If BF3 ends up lackluster...I have to turn to MW3. Sigh
I'm still giving post-CEA Reach a chance, but yeah, just a small one with no compromises on my behalf, if they totally suck it up playlist management wise (which they'll most likely do as far as my taste of what is Halo is concerned), Gears 3 and mostly BF3 (new previews are saying console retail version looks and performs way better than beta) more than got me covered till Halo 4, which hopefully won't have them holding back out of respect for hundreds of insane Bungie decisions.

wwm0nkey

daedalius said:
Yea, I think they are just air-boxes that probably seal with the hood so it always pulls air from up top, preventing water from getting in there, etc (similar in design to how Jeep actually makes their airboxes irl).

Yea, this is getting a bit deep.
We need to go deeper

*inception horn*

Ramirez

Letters said:
I'm still giving post-CEA Reach a chance, but yeah, just a small one with no compromises on my behalf, if they totally suck it up playlist management wise (which they'll most likely do as far as my taste of what is Halo is concerned), Gears 3 and BF3 (new previews are saying console retail version looks and performs way better than beta) more than got me covered till Halo 4, which hopefully won't have them holding back out of respect for hundreds of insane Bungie decisions.

Well, yea, I'm giving CEA a chance too, but I think I'm really just over Reach's gameplay, I appreciate the effort they put into the TU though, they didn't have to do that.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
I have to turn to MW3. Sigh

The level of donging that my OG Halo friends and I do in CoD is scarcely believable. Win streaks over 150+ games, 3.5+ k/d ratios. Join the dark side bro. You can play what you want, when you want, with what weapons you want, and completely shit on angry 12 year olds all day long. It's glorious.

MrBig

kylej said:
The level of donging that my OG Halo friends and I do in CoD is scarcely believable. Win streaks over 150+ games, 3.5+ k/d ratios. Join the dark side bro. You can play what you want, when you want, with what weapons you want, and completely shit on angry 12 year olds all day long. It's glorious.
Don't turn to the dark side. BF3 is your only hope.

kylej

Banned
MrBig said:
Don't turn to the dark side. BF3 is your only hope.

BF3 still has that level of pseudo-realism for weird white people who like guns too much. CoD is just straight up arcade nonsense. It's fun.

wwm0nkey

kylej said:
BF3 still has that level of pseudo-realism for weird white people who like guns too much. CoD is just straight up arcade nonsense. It's fun.
Call of Duty 4 is all you need.

I just can not pay $60 for what I played last year and the year before that. Will not deny Call of Duty's Arcade appeal but they keep on making them wayyyyy too fast.

wwm0nkey

For those of you worried about BF3 from the beta, the recent hands on previews have pretty much all said that the glitches have all been fixed, hit detection has been fixed, better texture s & lighting and just overall more clean than the beta.

wwm0nkey said:
For those of you worried about BF3 from the beta, the recent hands on previews have pretty much all said that the glitches have all been fixed, hit detection has been fixed, better texture s & lighting and just overall more clean than the beta.

Yeah I've read nothing short of the game being a very significant improvement over the build that was in the beta. Plus, Operation Metro is not representative of what most of the maps are like in the game.

As for CEA and playing Reach in the future, if the Anniversary gametypes are good and 343 gives us a 4v4 slayer and objective playlist for Anniversary gametypes and CEA maps, I will continue to play Reach.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I've read nothing short of the game being a very significant improvement over the build that was in the beta. Plus, Operation Metro is not representative of what most of the maps are like in the game.

As for CEA and playing Reach in the future, if the Anniversary gametypes are good and 343 gives us a 4v4 slayer and objective playlist for Anniversary gametypes and CEA maps, I will continue to play Reach.
Well the beta build was a month and a half old by the time they released it lol

Also I just want the GAFv2 gametype to be the default for the Zero Bloom playlist (which I am sure there will be one) and I will continue to play.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
lol, that's close.

Didn't the sawed off get nerfed recently?
Tunavi said:
Meh, I was gonna get Battlefield but Skyrim is starting to win me over
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...n-battlefield-3-multiplayer-map-reveal.aspx##

Don't be a bitch.

Woorloog said:
Exactly. Time travel is fine when something is build around it (Red Alert series for example). Otherwise, kill it with fire.
Isn't it not time travel? More like time dilation?

kylej said:
Invite me when you play cod sometime. been binging on mw2 recently

Top Bottom