• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Plywood said:
http://www.abload.de/img/aaaaaaghhhaooooowwwaaaxulp.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Rofl best gif, ever! But seriously, i actually wouldn't mind the map if a few changes were made. Double the respawn time on rockets, remove the sniper rifle, and remove jetpacks. Problem solved.

Havok

PNut said:
Uncaged may be the worst MP map in the entire Halo franchise. Hands down. How is it still in this game? It blows my mind.
Isolation, default Foundry, Smashed, any of the BTB Forge variants, Orbital, Backwash.

Havok

Ken said:
Isolation was where I got that stupid Mongoose road-kill achievement in Halo 3 so it gets a few points from me.
Pretty sure I got that on Snowbound using the language search thing. I remember I was randomly matched with Voc for that game, which was entertaining.

Tawpgun

kylej said:
Move to the East Coast broseph. All people I play video games with should move to the East Coast. Specifically New England. Join us ivory tower educated elites as we dong across the many virtual battlefields of bad kids.
This man speaks truths.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Havok said:
Isolation, default Foundry, Smashed, any of the BTB Forge variants, Orbital, Backwash.
At least Isolation had giant Flood anus chutes. Automatically better than Uncaged.

I thought snowbound was pretty bad. Also, (I'll get much hate for this) but i was never a huge fan of guardian in addition to snowbound. I'd take Uncaged over Pinnacle, Asylum, any of the BTB maps in Reach, and Boardwalk.

Deputy Moonman said:
Rofl best gif, ever! But seriously, i actually wouldn't mind the map if a few changes were made. Double the respawn time on rockets, remove the sniper rifle, and remove jetpacks. Problem solved.

You want a 6 minute respawn timer on rockets?

Striker

While I love Anchor 9, I've questioned why Bungie made a map designed with shield doors, only to make another variant later without it. The shieldless variant, of course, plays tons better so obviously people favor that kind of gameplay.

After Snowbound/Boundless, Epitaph/Epilogue, The Pit/Pit Stop (attic spawns), you would have figured something like that wouldn't occur again.

Deputy Moonman said:
I thought snowbound was pretty bad. Also, (I'll get much hate for this) but i was never a huge fan of guardian in addition to snowbound. I'd take Uncaged over Pinnacle, Asylum, any of the BTB maps in Reach, and Boardwalk.
Pinnacle and Asylum are turds compared to Sanctuary and Ascension. Shame.

Agree to an extent about Guardian - decent map, but floored with poor spawn starts. It seemed only playable under BR start rules and equipment sucked balls.

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
Snowbound was not a good map, shield doors have always killed any modicum of fun that could be had on maps that have them. I didn't include Boardwalk because some people here bizarrely like that map. It's beyond my comprehension.
omg.kittens said:
At least Isolation had giant Flood anus chutes. Automatically better than Uncaged.
Prey vagina doors > Flood assholes
Striker said:
Pinnacle and Asylum are turds compared to Sanctuary and Ascension. Shame.
That didn't stop you from voting Pinnacle over Zealot, the best map on the disc, earlier. Jerk.

To your other point, I don't see why low-gravity sections continue to be put into these maps. They're really terrible, especially when you spawn on a ledge and are falling off the map practically instantly. Rocket placement on Anchor 9 is terrible because of that ledge/lowgrav combination.
KidA Seven said:
Why did you remind me of this map? Oh god, the unwanted memories.
My deepest apologies, I'm just getting over my PTSD over some of those Halo 3 Forge variants, a few from the Maption Sack playlist have scarred me for life.

Steelyuhas said:
You want a 6 minute respawn timer on rockets?
I harbor an extreme dislike for power weapons, especially in Reach. I typed up a long response about it and decided in the end it's not worth arguing about :) I just don't see the point to having power weapons on a map like uncaged. It's already small with very limited space to move around. Rockets become a ridiculously easy 4+ kills on uncaged and I don't see the point.

Ken

Deputy Moonman said:
I harbor an extreme dislike for power weapons, especially in Reach. I typed up a long response about it and decided in the end it's not worth arguing about :) I just don't see the point to having power weapons on a map like uncaged. It's already small with very limited space to move around. Rockets become a ridiculously easy 4+ kills on uncaged and I don't see the point.

I dislike their placement on Uncaged, right under the area where people who have map control tend to go up to so the team who doesn't need power weapons will have them.

Ramirez said:
Collonade or w/e was the worst map ever put into MM. Didn't the designer of it post here a long time ago? lol
No, the Foundry Forge map that was supposed to be a remake of Sidewinder was worse. Had a huge weighting on that first Bungie vs. World day.

Nutter

thezerofire said:
No, the Foundry Forge map that was supposed to be a remake of Sidewinder was worse. Had a huge weighting on that first Bungie vs. World day.
Isnt that the same map that Ram is complaining about?

In other news I directly influenced 8 people to buy Dark Souls at work.

Deputy Moonman said:

Put two shots in the rockets instead of four then. A 6 minute timer is not the answer though lol.

I'd agree with you about the placement of the rockets, but there really isn't a better placement on the map. The map just sucks.

Barrow Roll said:
Ivory Tower/Reflection is pretty bad. I don't know why people like. Maybe not top five bad, but still pretty bad.

Was never a huge fan, but Ivory Tower was certainly better with OS where Shotgun spawns in the Reach version and Shotgun on Reflection's 'pond side'. The top hall is just too much of a power position, all the fighting takes place up there. (A bit less in the H2 version, but it still had that issue)

I certainly wouldn't put it in the top 5 worst Halo maps though. H3 and Reach combined can probably throw up a dozen maps that are easily worse.

Nutter

Barrow Roll said:
Ivory Tower/Reflection is pretty bad. I don't know why people like. Maybe not top five bad, but still pretty bad.
Let me say that again..

ISOLATION... Think about that for a moment.

Not liking Ivory Tower / Reflection is fine, however in terms of map design its still way better than many others.

Nutter said:
Let me say that again..

ISOLATION... Think about that for a moment.

Not liking Ivory Tower / Reflection is fine, however in terms of map design its still way better than many others.
Hey, I was just saying that Ivory Tower is pretty bad. Not that it's worse than Isolation, but it's not a good map. Isolation is pretty terribad.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:
Was never a huge fan, but Ivory Tower was certainly better with OS where Shotgun spawns in the Reach version and Shotgun on Reflection's 'pond side'. The top hall is just too much of a power position, all the fighting takes place up there. (A bit less in the H2 version, but it still had that issue)
The funny part is that when talking about the map prerelease, they said that they raised the roof height on that top hall to make it less defensible. In reality, that just made it easier to camp since people down low can't bounce grenades off the roof anymore. Big mistake.

Refection is still a great 1 Flag map. It would be a great One Bomb map too (double arm spots!) but that gametype is the redheaded stepchild locked in the cellar for some asinine reason with Reach. It was never a premiere Slayer map, though.

It took a while to figure out how to play the map which made up most of my frustration. You basically had to use the basic Halo 3 strategy of rushing, but tenfold. Team shooting while rushing was the way to win. Oh yeah, I forgot you had to stay on top the majority of the time. That whole space underneath was only used to escape if you were one shot.

There were 2 problems. It was better suited for 5v5s, and not 4v4s. The 4v4's led to the strategy I just listed. Basically, the map was a little too big due to the 2 open floors. The 2nd problem was that Bungie put a regen on the map, which meant if a team had one, your whole team just got owned. Regens were stupid.

That's if it was BRs. With AR starts, the map was garbage.

Ken said:
There's something wrong with a map if it isn't fun.

Yeah I changed my mind within my post. :lol What I originally meant to say was that the map itself wasn't fun in the gametypes bungie gave it. King of the Hill on it was fun. I'll edit that part out.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
I'm gonna be some Fyrewulff-esque map comparison on that one cause I'm not seeing it.

That's actually coming in part 3 of my writeup, ha (Battle/Beaver Creek vs Isolation vs Sandbox Default). Isolation takes a lot of elements from Battle/Beaver Creek. Think of BC but with a big hill over the middle and ending about halfway across the base's roofs.

Issue with the map was that holding the hill was too overpowered and too hard to get a team off of once they established.

Deputy Moonman said:

Guardian was amazing for FFA Customs, but absolutely sucked in most of matchmaking lol.

I actually think I have had more interesting moments on Isolation than I have on Ivory Tower/ Reflection and thats saying a lot considering how aweful Isolation is.

Best of luck to Tashi. If his service tag isn't NGAF or NEOG, I'mma gonna be a sad panda.

Slightly OT but I just had to give a presentation on my final year project which uses the Reach API... Public speaking isn't my forté but I'll be damned if I didn't somewhat enjoy the experience.

This week's weekly challenge ruined my stats. I spent all my time in Grifball using the hammer... Before the weekly, I was proud of my most used weapons in competitive matchmaking:

1. DMR.............3,811 kills
2. Pistol.............3,470 kills
3. Melee.............2,143 kills
4. Needle Rifle.....1,858 kills
5. Frag Grenade...1,182 kills
6. Plasma Grenade..551 kills
This is what people should have topping out their kills in Reach

But now there is a huge offender in the mix with the hammer moving past the stickies with 1,079 kills. I'd wager that at least 90-95% of those kills, if not more, are all from Grifball...

Curse you weekly!

Deputy Moonman said:
This week's weekly challenge ruined my stats. I spent all my time in Grifball using the hammer... Before the weekly, I was proud of my most used weapons in competitive matchmaking:

But now there is a huge offender in the mix with the hammer moving past the stickies with 1,079 kills. I'd wager that at least 90-95% of those kills, if not more, are all from Grifball...

Curse you weekly!
SWAT is a pretty easy place to get doubles :p

Hydranockz said:
SWAT is a pretty easy place to get doubles :p
I tried a game of swat and ran into a wall of bloom. I couldn't handle it. Honestly, I'm not really that upset about my hammer kills. But I am really tired at work, so I'm trying to spread Deputy Moonman propaganda on neogaf to keep myself awake lol.

stephen08

Deputy Moonman said:

Curse you weekly!

If it really bothers you you can filter them out by playlist on Bungie.net. It would be nice if there was a more straightforward way to do so.

EDIT: I always hated Isolation. Every other map in 3 was fun enough that I didn't mind playing on it.

wwm0nkey said:
Also why was there a warthog on that map?

Didn't Bungie (and CA) add them to all kinds of DLC maps where it didn't really work?

Using it on Turf was not much faster than walking unless your driving was spectacular, and on Sanctuary it would get stuck on all the rocks.

As for Desolation, that was just weird.

wwm0nkey

I havent really been keeping up on RvB but the newest episode takes a pretty nice crack at the Fuel Rod gun lol

"Who the fuck makes a gun that bounces!?"

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
I only liked it for Predator custom gametypes. Those where fun as shit.

Also why was there a warthog on that map?

It wasn't there by default on the basic Slayer gametype, and I don't remember it being in matchmaking. If you used a gametype that had the vehicle slot set to "Warthog" instead of "Map Default", well..

Halo 2 allowed more vehicles on maps. It was a shame that we couldn't actually turn on the secondary Heavy slot ourselves. They could only be turned on via Jeremiah's stuff he had to build matchmaking or modding, and they weren't in matchmaking for very long.

Photolysis said:
Didn't Bungie (and CA) add them to all kinds of DLC maps where it didn't really work?

Using it on Turf was not much faster than walking unless your driving was spectacular, and on Sanctuary it would get stuck on all the rocks.

As for Desolation, that was just weird.

Desolation didn't have the vehicles in matchmaking, but Desolation also had the awesome vehicle cloning bug.

Photolysis said:
I liked Backwash when it wasn't giving me framerate issues :(

I liked Backwash when it was actually in matchmaking. Should have made separate gametypes for Backwash with the active camo turned off, as AC is what caused the framedrops for 360 players.

PooBone

Havok said:
Snowbound was not a good map, shield doors have always killed any modicum of fun that could be had on maps that have them. I didn't include Boardwalk because some people here bizarrely like that map. It's beyond my comprehension.

Prey vagina doors > Flood assholes

That didn't stop you from voting Pinnacle over Zealot, the best map on the disc, earlier. Jerk.

To your other point, I don't see why low-gravity sections continue to be put into these maps. They're really terrible, especially when you spawn on a ledge and are falling off the map practically instantly. Rocket placement on Anchor 9 is terrible because of that ledge/lowgrav combination.
My deepest apologies, I'm just getting over my PTSD over some of those Halo 3 Forge variants, a few from the Maption Sack playlist have scarred me for life.
Zealot is my least favorite Halo map of all time. Even over Chiron TL34. I fucking hate that map.

Tawpgun

PooBone said:
Zealot is my least favorite Halo map of all time. Even over Chiron TL34. I fucking hate that map.
It's no classic but goddamn.

Out of the entire series?

Maybe when space was still viable.... but now its one of the best in reach for 4 v 4.

PooBone

A27 Tawpgun said:
It's no classic but goddamn.

Out of the entire series?

Maybe when space was still viable.... but now its one of the best in reach for 4 v 4.
I hate it, every time it comes up and gets voted for in matchmaking I just cringe.

Top Bottom