• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElzarTheBam said:
I can look past that, what I can't look past is the shitty voice acting when it is announced that 'the covenant are on reach'. Just terrible.

I STRONGLY suspect that that is a placeholder line that they forgot to replace. I mean, Bungie's not exactly known for good performances in their games (and they tend fire or marginalize those that are, coughTruthArbiterMirandacough,) but that line is just so astonishingly bad that I can't believe it got an OK. It' supposed to be one of the most important lines in the game, and it's said with the same emotion as announcing to the office you are going on a coffee run.

FyreWulff said:
There's actual fans of Julie Benz's voice acting in Halo 2?

It didn't set the world on fire, but it was functional and fit the character. Miranda in Halo 3 was so wooden it sucked me out of the game.

daedalius

Thagomizer said:
I STRONGLY suspect that that is a placeholder line that they forgot to replace. I mean, Bungie's not exactly known for good performances in their games (and they tend fire or marginalize those that are, coughTruthArbiterMirandacough,) but that line is just so astonishingly bad that I can't believe it got an OK. It' supposed to be one of the most important lines in the game, and it's said with the same emotion as announcing to the office you are going on a coffee run.

Apparently I need to go back and re-listen to that line, I didn't really think it was that bad. Wasn't he just stating it slowly and clearly so they could hear him over the muffled comms?

wwm0nkey

Thagomizer said:
Actually you are correct, it is a place holder. I think it was in the launch trailer or something that was in our old GameStop 360 but the voice was completely different/improved.

Karl2177 said:
That's fake as shit. I could do a better job shopping that.
Anyone care to explain how he got the Halo CE anniversary to look like it was taken off a tv?

I mean yeah sure he could of shopped that overlay and taken it off his monitor but behind the menu is halo reach multiplayer. My best guess is he opened up someones cheevo list screen grabbed it, edit it then took the picture from his monitor.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
It didn't set the world on fire, but it was functional and fit the character. Miranda in Halo 3 was so wooden it sucked me out of the game.
I didn't mind her voice so much as the dialog she had to utter.
ElzarTheBam said:
I can look past that, what I can't look past is the shitty voice acting when it is announced that 'the covenant are on reach'. Just terrible.
Weird part is, there's a trailer released post-launch that has a different take on the same line, and it sounds as urgent and panicked as you'd expect. The in-game version really does sound like placeholder voice work left in place.

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't mind her voice so much as the dialog she had to utter.

Yeah, that was bad too, but I still hated the performance.

And Gemini was redeemed by being one of the best "outside the playspace" maps ever.

feel

ElzarTheBam said:
That line delivery is so embarrassing, and it really sets the tone for how boring and uneventful the rest of the campaign is.

ElzarTheBam said:

That was aweful but not only because of his line reading. The whole moment was extremely anti climatic. He must have known about those data drops lol.

Nutter said:
Isnt that the same map that Ram is complaining about?

In other news I directly influenced 8 people to buy Dark Souls at work.
I thought Colonnade was the Stonehenge one. Or was that one just called Stonehenge?

thee henery said:
Top five worst Halo maps

1. Pinnacle
2. Hemorrhage
3. High Ground
4. Sandtrap
5. Paranoia

Irredeemable swirls of feces.

You didn't like High Ground? I thougt it was a decent 1-flag map. Certainly not as great as Zanzibar, but I had fun on it. I wouldn't mind a remake, or even a spirtual successor.

I liked Sandtrap for BTB Slayer, if only because it was perfect for the Chopper. Terrible objective map though. Putting the flags on Elephants was a neat experiment, but it didn't turn out very well.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
That was aweful but not only because of his line reading. The whole moment was extremely anti climatic. He must have known about those data drops lol.
My favorite line in Reach is actually soon after, when we rescue the troopers. We engage in this fight with three drop ships worth of Covenant troops, and after the trooper says, "It's the Covenant," as if he's filling us in.
ncsuDuncan said:
You didn't like High Ground? I thougt it was a decent 1-flag map. Certainly not as great as Zanzibar, but I had fun on it. I wouldn't mind a remake, or even a spirtual successor.

I liked Sandtrap for BTB Slayer, if only because it was perfect for the Chopper. Terrible objective map though. Putting the flags on Elephants was a neat experiment, but it didn't turn out very well.
Yeah, Sandtrap was a great BTB Slayer map. Some of the best vehicular brawls in the series, cruising around on a Chopper or Warthog was wonderful.

PNut

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:

Yeah, I thought High Ground was a good flag/bomb map and Multi-Team map. Not so much for regular Slayer games though. For obvious reasons.

And Sandtrap is easily a better BTB than any in Reach.

StalkerUKCG said:
Anyone care to explain how he got the Halo CE anniversary to look like it was taken off a tv?

Quite easily:

1. Load faked picture on the 360 (media sharing or shove it on a USB drive)
2. Take picture of it on the TV
3. Profit

Pennybags

The initial cutscene on Long Night of Solace is a proper demonstration of how to do a "we are fucked" tone.

Characterized Noble better than any other single part of the game, too. Wished other cutscenes took a time out to breath and expand similarly.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
My favorite line in Reach is actually soon after, when we rescue the troopers. We engage in this fight with three drop ships worth of Covenant troops, and after the trooper says, "It's the Covenant," as if he's filling us in.

Yeah, Sandtrap was a great BTB Slayer map. Best vehicular brawls in the series.
That mission was just filled with terrible dialogue.

"I can't see a thing. Noble 6 turn on your night vision." - Carter

So by me turning on my night vision, you are going to see better? Right.

GhaleonEB said:

Bungie can do hilariously funny dialogue but the other stuff... yeah...

"This cave is not a natural formation."
"NO SHIT!"

ElRenoRaven

Karl2177 said:
That mission was just filled with terrible dialogue.

"I can't see a thing. Noble 6 turn on your night vision." - Carter

So by me turning on my night vision, you are going to see better? Right.

Um you know that he's making a comment on how he can't see a thing. At that time he's turning his night vision on and telling you to do the same.

thezerofire said:
I thought Colonnade was the Stonehenge one. Or was that one just called Stonehenge?
That map was a joke, still have nightmares with all those randomly placed shield doors. WTF Bungie?

This thread needs some Anniversary news, if Hang 'em High is confirmed to be a new Forge World I will do nasty things with my Frankie Erotica Folder.

feel

Photolysis said:

"NO SHIT!"
That's one of my fav Cortana dialogues. Jen's delivery is lovely as always and it's one of the few moments where Cortana's smart AI programed behavior fails for a bit and let us briefly get a glympse at the tought process that is supposed to only be behind the scenes. They change that entrance too much to please the hordes, and I'm gonna rage.

PooBone

Photolysis said:

"NO SHIT!"
When that was originally recorded the cave was a natural looking cave. Then they changed it and you have the hilarity that exists today.

I am anxious to see if the entrance of the cave is the same in Anniversary.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
When that was originally recorded the cave was a natural looking cave. Then they changed it and you have the hilarity that exists today.

I am anxious to see if the entrance of the cave is the same in Anniversary.

Exactly. So in their defense the line made sense at the time recorded. I also figure that it will look the same as currently but fancier looking. I wouldn't expect a change that big.

FyreWulff

Photolysis said:

"NO SHIT!"

That line is a partly result of Halo 1's dialogue being written entirely by two outside writers who were brought in to re-write the dialogue for the entire game and never actually played the game, and I forget if they ever actually saw it.

PooBone

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. So in their defense the line made sense at the time recorded. I also figure that it will look the same as currently but fancier looking. I wouldn't expect a change that big.
Neither would I honestly.
FyreWulff said:
That line is a partly result of Halo 1's dialogue being written entirely by two outside writers who were brought in to re-write the dialogue for the entire game and never actually played the game, and I forget if they ever actually saw it.
Where'd you hear that?

The dialogue has been changed for CEA:

"TThhiiss ccaavvee iiss ssttiillll nnoott aa nnaattuurraall ffoorrmmaattiioonn.."

Of course, you have to have 3-D glasses on to hear it correctly.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

"TThhiiss ccaavvee iiss ssttiillll nnoott aa nnaattuurraall ffoorrmmaattiioonn.."

Odd. I heard it was changed to: "Bet you can't find a natural formation."

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:

speaking of 3D, totally going to play CEA on these things

Sony-HMZ-T1-580x290.jpg

FyreWulff

BAM.

http://earthsmightiest.com/comics/news/?a=4671

from HBO newspost in 2008:

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=21939

Working on the game itself, HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED, was a considerably less pleasant experience. The deadline pressure was enormous; my co-writer at the time, Brannon Boren, and I had just a couple days to bang out a massive amount of dialogue at the request of the game's designer, John Howard, and Bungie co-founder Jason Jones. Apparently, whoever had written the original in-mission dialogue had not done a job everyone was happy with, and they needed, essentially, a writer or writers who could work fast. We happened to be around and available, so we agreed to do it, but Bungie is VERY secretive, and, despite the fact that we operated under the same non-disclosure agreements THEY did, they can be quite mistrustful.

So, we had three days to bang out some ridiculous amount of dialogue, but they wouldn't actually let us LOOK at the game (which is why some of the dialogue doesn't make total sense; I conservatively estimate we got it about 80-90% right, which I think is an accomplishment given how blind we were flying).
THAT was no fun at all.

ncsuDuncan said:
You didn't like High Ground?

PooBone said:
I love High Ground.

Knew this would be slightly controversial. Always maintained it was my most hated map in Halo 3. When making that list I factored in the frequency they appeared and were not vetoed against in playlists completely unsuitable for them. I mostly played Team Snipers/Team Slayer/BTB/Social Slayer. Excluding BTB it appeared in those slayer exclusive playlists far too often and played like a pool of piss. Its spawning imbalances with regard to weapon locations are well documented in Halogaf threads. For snipes, everyone prayed for top spawns (on a map named High Ground! Who'da thunk it?). I don't dispute it was a good one-sided objective map but it should have stayed in objective playlists.

Just cast your mind back to playing slayer on that map with an assault rifle start. Yea.

As for Sandtrap, far too big for the BR's spread, a carnival of misery for Team Snipers, boring laserfest, horrific for Heavies.

Top Bottom