• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

daedalius

So I've almost read the entirety of Cryptum in 2 days.

Wild stuff, will have to go back to the pages where there were a bunch of Cryptum spoilers and read them once I actually finish.

Falagard

A27 Tawpgun said:
It's no classic but goddamn.

Out of the entire series?

Maybe when space was still viable.... but now its one of the best in reach for 4 v 4.

I don't have as much of a problem with Zealout as some others do. It's a decent map.

Kuroyume

Banned
The only terrible thing about Zealot are the grav lifts in the middle. Moronic design right there. I always seem to mess up getting a lift when I need it.

Ramirez

Ivory Tower was so much better than Reflection, I hate the raised ceiling, makes it so hard to get nades up there to flush people out. AA's ruined it too...

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
daedalius said:
Master Chief weighs about ~1000lbs in Spartan armor. (that's even more than a 40k Space Marine surprisingly)

You wouldn't think Spartans would flop around so much when they die, lol.
Gel layer bro.

Tha Robbertster said:
data drop 5 is online

Some pretty interesting stuff in there.
Are they trying to find a solution for the invasion strike force at Reach? You know, I'm starting to believe that ONI let them on Reach without the Civilians to know. Just to get the big ships for Red Flag. Especially how Parangosky were presented in the Glasslands excerpt.

Hypertrooper said:
Are they trying to find a solution for the invasion strike force at Reach? You know, I'm starting to believe that ONI let them on Reach without the Civilians to know. Just to get the big ships for Red Flag. Especially how Parangosky were presented in the Glasslands excerpt.

I do think so, yes. And if it is true, they failed significantly.

Tha Robbertster said:
data drop 5 is online

Some pretty interisting stuff in there.
All of this is definitely leading into Glasslands, but it's to be serving a dual purpose of trying to reconcile Halo: Reach and Fall of Reach.

Awesome Barlow said:
That is your first problem.
I watched the first couple of episodes of RvB season 9, but I stopped watching it because they were focusing on too much crap I didn't care about.

If it's not about Sarge and the gang, I don't want to see it.

daedalius

Dax01 said:
All of this is definitely leading into Glasslands, but it's to be serving a dual purpose of trying to reconcile Halo: Reach and Fall of Reach.

I watched the first couple of episodes of RvB season 9, but I stopped watching it because they were focusing on too much crap I didn't care about.

I haven't read FoR for forever, what are the main contentions of it not fitting correctly with Reach?

Dax01 said:

I used to feel the same way but by the end of season 8 I had really grown attached to Washington.

TheOddOne said:
I did not know that Bungie retconned much of The Reach story. Was the change that bad?

The last part of the book which described the battle of Reach was pretty much changed entirely. In the book, the battle space battle starts on august 31th and ends that same day. Small skirmishes are still on the planet but Reach has fallen. In the game, first covenant contact is discovered around a month before august 31th and battle continue till the 31th of august. The pillar of autumn never was on Reach but only in the system. And it wasn't rated for atmosphere.

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

TheOddOne said:
I did not know that Bungie retconned much of The Reach story. Was the change that bad?

Yes, the book doesn't mention Skirmishers or Armor Lock AT ALL.

(It's been years since I've read TFoR, I'll leave the serious answer to someone with a fresher memory. The biggest one I know of though is that the Pillar of Autumn was not rated for atmosphere and shouldn't have been sitting on the planet surface.)

TheOddOne

Tha Robbertster said:
The last battle was pretty much changed entirely. In the book, the battle space battle starts on agust 30th or 31th and ends that same day. Small skirmishes are still on the planet but Reach has fallen. In the game, first covenant contact is discovered around a month before august 30th/31th. The pillar of autumn never was on Reach but only in the system. And it wasn't rated for atmosphere.

Those are all I can think of at the moment.
Time for me to finally pick up Fall of Reach then.

No more spoiler please :)

daedalius

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes, the book doesn't mention Skirmishers or Armor Lock AT ALL.

(It's been years since I've read TFoR, I'll leave the serious answer to someone with a fresher memory. The biggest one I know of though is that the Pillar of Autumn was not rated for atmosphere and shouldn't have been sitting on the planet surface.)

I think they went for 'rule of cool' in the game then, seeing a giant ship in the distance that you were heading WAS pretty cool. These data drops are pretty interesting.

Did they actually change the text in the book concerning the ending? I still have an old version, from like, when it was released. Maybe I'll give the end a bit of a read after finishing Cryptum.

daedalius said:
I think they went for 'rule of cool' in the game then, seeing a giant ship in the distance that you were heading WAS pretty cool. These data drops are pretty interesting.

Did they actually change the text in the book concerning the ending? I still have an old version, from like, when it was released. Maybe I'll give the end a bit of a read after finishing Cryptum.
Did they change anything in the Reissue? Don't think so. They just added some new stuff after the Main Story. :^)

daedalius said:

I don't believe they changed anything big in the re-release. Some aditional stuff but that's it.

Hypertrooper said:
I love what they're doing: it makes the story make a bit more sense. Still, keeping one side of the planet in the dark while people are getting raped in every orifice by the Covenant on the other is a bit far-fetched. :p

Oh well, at least they're doing something about it. Hat's off to you, 343.

FyreWulff said:
That's actually coming in part 3 of my writeup, ha (Battle/Beaver Creek vs Isolation vs Sandbox Default). Isolation takes a lot of elements from Battle/Beaver Creek. Think of BC but with a big hill over the middle and ending about halfway across the base's roofs.

Issue with the map was that holding the hill was too overpowered and too hard to get a team off of once they established.

Alright I look forward to it haha, because even with that brief description, I'm still not seeing it. I did enjoy the Hang em' High and Longshore comparison, which I had previously known about.

Blue Ninja said:
I love what they're doing: it makes the story make a bit more sense. Still, keeping one side of the planet in the dark while people are getting raped in every orifice by the Covenant on the other is a bit far-fetched. :p

Oh well, at least they're doing something about it. Hat's off to you, 343.
It even stresses out Parangosky's and ONI's character as a merciless "we do everything to get our goals" fraction/person.

vhfive

PooBone said:
I quite liked Orbital myself.
0dReG.gif

Halo: CEA achievements? lol. Fake? but hey, I could tell ya this achievements already in June. Found the pic at the german Halo fansite Halobase.

PsychoRaven said:
I would hope the names of the achievements aren't so plain. Course those are just some single player levels that of course you'd get points for completing probably.

Overall my Psychosense is tingling but I'm calling fake. Maybe they should post some others that aren't just level names.
I don't know the real source. Take the coffee and wait. Maybe tomorrow?

ElRenoRaven

I just recently finished The Wire (what an incredible show), and I'm just now aware of the fact that the actor who played Marlo Stanfield was also the voice of Emile. All I can say is, what a colossal waste of talent on one of the worst characters in the game. :-\

squidhands said:
I just recently finished The Wire (what an incredible show), and I'm just now aware of the fact that the actor who played Marlo Stanfield was also the voice of Emile. All I can say is, what a colossal waste of talent on one of the worst characters in the game. :-\

Emile is well acted; too bad the character himself sucks.

squidhands said:

I can look past that, what I can't look past is the shitty voice acting when it is announced that 'the covenant are on reach'. Just terrible.

wwm0nkey

ElzarTheBam said:
I can look past that, what I can't look past is the shitty voice acting when it is announced that 'the covenant are on reach'. Just terrible.
yeah THAT was god awful.

Also only character I even cared about was Jorge, the rest of Noble team kind of sucked and didn't give a shit if they died or not.

Top Bottom