• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow @ the achievement for beating the game using only Kinect controls.

Zeouterlimits said:
Huh, wow.

The Not Using A Warthog on Halo is not what I consider good Achievement Design. At the least it should set to secret on the disk to prevent people form doing it the first time through.
I don't get it. What's wrong with people
going through Halo on-foot the first time? Halo's sandbox can be played both ways.

A lot of the achievements seem really cool, but I do have some issues with some of them, like:
Complete The Library on Legendary in 31 minutes? How are you suppose to do that?! D:

Woorloog

Banned
Co-op is just two players in CEA, right? Anything above will certainly brake the game's difficulty...
And there's still split-screen co-op right?
Complete the level “The Library” on Legendary difficulty in 30 minutes or less.
Complete the level “Two Betrayals” on Legendary difficulty without picking up a new weapon.

These two are going to be tricky, The Library will most likely have to be co-operatively done, unless there are (tricky) shortcuts.

Complete the Warthog ride on the level “The Maw” without being forcibly ejected from your vehicle.
Complete the Warthog ride on the level “The Maw” on Legendary difficulty with at least a minute remaining on the countdown.

If you manage the former, you probably manage the latter as well. I think. Too bad i can't remember how fast i've managed the driving section on Legendary.

After activating the map in the level “The Silent Cartographer,” complete the rest of your mission without firing a shot on Heroic difficulty or above.
Since the name's "Grenadier" i assume melee and 'nades are allowed.

Complete any level with iron and two other skulls active at Heroic difficulty or higher.
Ugh, i hate Iron skull... oh well i can manage this. (In co-op it'll be easyish.)

And...
"Popcorn.gif"
LOL

lybertyboy said:
You'll notice that there are not mp achievements in the list we released today. There is a reason for this.

And yes, I love these achievements.

Thank you for the answer! Yes, I agree, these are some of the best achievements in term of variety I have seen since...reach.

Zeouterlimits said:
Huh, wow.

The Not Using A Warthog on Halo is not what I consider good Achievement Design. At the least it should set to secret on the disk to prevent people form doing it the first time through.
People are doing something wrong, if they play a game just for the achievements. :(

And damn at the Beachhead achievement. Not doing a Warthog Launch on TSC is hard for me. Because I'm doing it the whole time, and I need the nades. :(

<3 that Achievement List. But no Tower to Tower achievement? :p

-------
Slightly Live said:
That is pretty horrible advice. I couldn't ever recommend skipping any sentences whilst reading a book.

Ghaleon, try the Official Waypoint Cryptum Glossary for any terms you might be unfamilar with. I think you'll find it helpful.
Better that than getting frustrated and dropping the book entirely.

I'm not saying he should skip over entire sentences without reading them, just that if one sentence is too confusing to understand, skip trying to puzzle it out and just move on to the next sentence.

I was unaware of that Cryptum glossary, that's pretty useful.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
I keep hearing stuff like this, but I'm about 90 pages in and just pulling my hair out.

The
Didact work up, and boy is he cranky. I have no clue what is happening, what a Didact is, what the Librarian is, where they are, what they are doing, why it's important, what a Mantle is,
who these people are, what their motivations are, nothing has any context or emotion. It's just a series of events, devoid of context and reason. It's driving me nuts. I've literally fallen asleep five or six times reading it. I feel like the author is trying to impress me with how many unexplained words he can drop, which is what is sufficing for world building so far.

Yeah the first half of the book is a very slow burner. Once you get about 60% of the way through it, everything ramps up and gets explained. I was confused on who and/or what those things were as well, but they've been cleared up at the point I am now (less than 80 pages left).

Seriously though, chapter 34 is amazing. It describes (big spoiler)
the detailed origin of the Flood and why Forerunners decided on creating Halos and Shield Worlds.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
Yes. Definitely QFT.

Very freaking cool. Some damn hard looking ones but they all look doable. I can't wait to get 1000/1000 on the greatest game ever.

Woorloog

Banned
How many achieveables you're going to get on your first playthrough?
If i play on Legendary, i can get around 28 achievements (+- a couple), if co-op (on Legendary ofc) then over 30.
But i do not know if i play on Legendary at first. And co-op is unlikely due the launch day being 15th... My brother won't be home and i doubt my friend will bother with the game day one. Or with co-op even if he gets the game.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
I personally loved Cryptum, but I think Ghaleon has trouble with this:

69468h.png

My only suggestion is to power though it - if something is confusing just skip that sentence. Things start making more sense eventually and it would be a shame to miss out on the amazing content of the last few chapters.
Incorrect. I recently read Dune, which is drowning in terms (there's a dictionary in end, which is nice). And my favorite book of all time is The Lord of the Rings. The words are not the problem.

The problem is, they are not contextualized (yet) in Cryptum. The difference in how world building in Dune and Cryptum is enormous, yet they both did similar levels of lifting (in terms of language).

(The graph kind of ticked me off honestly.)

daedalius

Domino Theory said:
Yeah the first half of the book is a very slow burner. Once you get about 60% of the way through it, everything ramps up and gets explained. I was confused on who and/or what those things were as well, but they've been cleared up at the point I am now (less than 80 pages left).

Seriously though, chapter 34 is amazing. It describes (big spoiler)
the detailed origin of the Flood and why Forerunners decided on creating Halos and Shield Worlds.

Very insidious (ch 34 spoiler)
the way the flood virus initially took hold of the Human and San'Shyuum pets to spread itself, then slowly began to infiltrate the population by, what sounds like, brainwashing them to only want to spread it even more. The forcible eating of glutenous flood infected humans was particularly atrocious, I had to re-read that line a couple of times before it sunk in. I'm still not really sure how the Outsider/last Precursor fits in with the flood, is it like the proto-gravemind? or is that something else entirely?

GhaleonEB

I'm digging most of the Achievements, but I can already spot the ones that will be a pain. Still, they're the sort of stuff I've wanted Campaign Achievements in general to bend toward. I'm happy.

No damage taken on Heroic is going to be rough. I can't think of a single level where that is something I've ever come close to.

Perhaps "Halo" by staying far away from the encounters....

How Pedestrian
Complete the level “Halo” on any difficulty without entering a vehicle.​

I wish there was one for Assault on the Control Room as well. So good....

Slightly Live said:
Not liking the level specific achievements. Time-based challenges are a pain in the arse.
I'm liking them. Aren't that easy like the Halo: Reach ones. :) Otherwise the achievements give me a lot of hope for an amazing Halo 4 achievement list. :)

daedalius said:
Very insidious (ch 34 spoiler)
the way the flood virus initially took hold of the Human and San'Shyuum pets to spread itself, then slowly began to infiltrate the population by, what sounds like, brainwashing them to only want to spread it even more. The forcible eating of glutenous flood infected humans was particularly atrocious, I had to re-read that line a couple of times before it sunk in. I'm still not really sure how the Outsider/last Precursor fits in with the flood, is it like the proto-gravemind? or is that something else entirely?
Heavy Cryptum spoiler:
One of the fan-theories is that the Flood is the revenge of the Precursor. And some people believe he is the Gravemind. I think Tha Robbster posted a post entry about this theory a hundred pages ago(lol). I hope we won't find out, what the Precursor is until the Reclaimer Trilogy. Otherwise only the Didact/Bonesteller met the Precursor, right? Chakka wasn't present I think.

Slightly Live said:
Not liking the level specific achievements. Time-based challenges are a pain in the arse.
Yeah. I have never, EVER liked anything time-based in a videogame. All it does is make me nervous, which leads me to screw up, which then frustrates me...
GhaleonEB said:
No damage taken on Heroic is going to be rough. I can't think of a single level where that is something I've ever come close to.
I was thinking The Pillar of Autumn.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Yeah. I have never, EVER liked anything time-based in a videogame. All it does is make me nervous, which leads me to screw up, which then frustrates me...

I was thinking The Pillar of Autumn.

I don't mind timed ones as long as they aren't just total bullshit. These seem doable. Also if the one for taking damage is only limited to the one player and achievable in co-op then send one player ahead of you at all times while one sits back. Easy breezy. That's assuming it is. If not then just keep long range weapons and take it very slow in solo play and the first level is pretty easy to not take damage on.

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
You'll notice that there are not mp achievements in the list we released today. There is a reason for this.

And yes, I love these achievements.
Because... there arent any? 1000 GS accounted for.

ismrt

stephen08

GhaleonEB said:
I'm digging most of the Achievements, but I can already spot the ones that will be a pain. Still, they're the sort of stuff I've wanted Campaign Achievements in general to bend toward. I'm happy.

Perhaps "Halo" by staying far away from the encounters....

How Pedestrian
Complete the level “Halo” on any difficulty without entering a vehicle.​

I wish there was one for Assault on the Control Room as well. So good....

It's health damage, not any damage at all.

Nori Chan

scarjo_popcorn.gif

Well this will be my first time playing the first halo (I expect to be hung in the next posts) so I'm going in at the library with my head first. ROCK OUT WITH MY COCK OUT

Excellent achievements for the most part. Some of those look very challenging (TB without picking up new weapons?).

EDIT: Though I do wonder why all Halo games stick to that boring Roman numeral format for level completion achievements. The names in this case are pretty lame as well. Should have thrown some quotes in there!

ElRenoRaven

Homeboyd said:
What's the limit on GS for a new game? What they released here = 1000 GS....

1000. As said there are no MP ones. I could see some mp one's coming to Reach though when they release the HCEA mappack. Course if there aren't then it don't bother me.

GhaleonEB said:
Incorrect. I recently read Dune, which is drowning in terms (there's a dictionary in end, which is nice). And my favorite book of all time is The Lord of the Rings. The words are not the problem.

The problem is, they are not contextualized (yet) in Cryptum. The difference in how world building in Dune and Cryptum is enormous, yet they both did similar levels of lifting (in terms of language).

(The graph kind of ticked me off honestly.)
I should have included the alt-text for the graph:
"Except for anything by Lewis Carroll or Tolkien, you get five made-up words per story. I'm looking at you, Anathem."

Sorry, I just assumed you were familiar enough with xkcd comics to know the creator was joking.

Hmmm, it's been a while since I've read Dune. I think I'll pick up one of the unread sequels I have on my shelf.

xxjuicesxx said:
I cant believe this game comes out so soon.
A month from tomorrow! HYPE.

Homeboyd

PsychoRaven said:
1000. As said there are no MP ones. I could see some mp one's coming to Reach though when they release the HCEA mappack. Course if there aren't then it don't bother me.
Ahh yes, I guess they would be tagged to Reach wouldn't they.

wwm0nkey

Homeboyd said:
Reach and CEA are separate games and since CEA uses Reach's MP those achievements go for Reach.

Also the limit with DLC is 1750.

Homeboyd said:
1000GS via DLC till 1750GS. They will add the MP achievement to Reach. =) It would be awesome 343 patch some new achievements later, but I don't think that this is possible. :^(

Homeboyd

Yeah I wasn't thinking... Sorry.

Cartographer: Build a super sweet map in the new Hang em High Forge Universe and get it accepted into Reach's Community Matchmaking Playlist - 50 GS

ElRenoRaven

Homeboyd said:
Ahh yes, I guess they would be tagged to Reach wouldn't they.

Yup. I'm ok with that even though I hate the change to allow DLC achievements. I worked so hard for my 1000/1000 on Halo 3 and ODST and what happens? Bam it's not 1000 anymore you dumb bastard. Kind of loses the accomplishment factor to me. Namely because first I have to buy said DLC. Second said DLC is always Multiplayer focused, and third it's a crap shoot with matchmaking if you'll ever get the proper map, gametype, etc.

Sai-kun said:
UNGH ACHIEVEMENTS

fap

Awesome list. Looks like Heroic for my first playthrough, co-op of course, and then solo legendary :D

Can't wait!

http://i.imgur.com/bPgHh.gif[img][/QUOTE]
I'll probably do it the other way around. Solo heroic first, and then Legendary co-op. I'm assuming the co-op achievements stack, so I'll have those knocked out of the park immediately.

Top Bottom