• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff

Homeboyd said:
Because... there arent any? 1000 GS accounted for.

ismrt

Dem DLC achievements. Am I the only one waiting for Reach to hit 1750 so I can guarantee "Monument to All Your Sins" as the last earned achievement? I want it to show up when people look at my gamercard while playing Reach :^)

Slightly Live said:
My jaw hit the floor. Hard to believe the old 360 can do that.

Cars are really easy to render compared to other objects/people.. they're either boxy or have highly optimizable bezier curves.

Still impressive though, especially the lighting.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
Cars are really easy to render compared to other objects/people.. they're either boxy or have highly optimizable bezier curves.

Still impressive though, especially the lighting.
The models weren't really the problem. The environments are so low poly (they still use cardboard people and flat scenery compared to Halo's low poly 3D set pieces) they can do whatever they want with the cars. It's all in the shaders, lighting, and shadows. It looks great in autovista and in most in-game stills, but it can look damn ugly at times.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
The models weren't really the problem. The environments are so low poly (they still use cardboard people and flat scenery compared to Halo's low poly 3D set pieces) they can do whatever they want with the cars. It's all in the shaders, lighting, and shadows. It looks great in autovista and in most in-game stills, but it can look damn ugly at times.

There's only so far you can take that engine. Car games are usually your go-to for showing off a system's power early in the span, usually not later. Plus the usual trick of a higher detail model for menus and the in-game model being much lower.

What's glaring for me at this point is internal cockpit detail. The bodies are about as good as you're going to get without raytracing or more VRAM, but man some of those insides..

feel

I was really excited reading that achievement list until I remembered they are all probably doable and cheesable in coop since it none says "Solo". I know I can just do them by myself anyways, but it doesn't feel as great. :(

No "Monument to all your Sins" either, c'mon 343i...

Homeboyd said:
I'm 13% positive I mentioned something along these lines on the last page...
...and was shot the hell down.
Nothing personal, I was just making the achievement list happen by indirectly making grampa David insecure about his age. You're welcome rest of gaf/halo-community.

FyreWulff

xxjuicesxx said:
All I say is 60 FPS.

Halo doesn't do that.

Yeah, but when they ran Halo 3 at 640p they got shat on, whilst nobody cared about CoD being 600p (and 58something on PS3). So Reach went up to 720p and we lost HDR range.

Rage pulls it off by dynamically changing the vertical resolution while you play the game. I thought that was a neat little trick.

Lazslo

Yes! It's Friday, I can not wait to read Bungie's Weekly Updaattttooohhh shit. I forgot Bungie is so incredibly busy that there is simply not enough time to drop a line and update their fans. Well Maybe there isn't anything to talk about? There is always something to talk about at Bungie. Okay maybe, seriously there is nothing to update us on- least in the old days we got one of these once a week:

Sorry to be a dick, but step it up

A27_StarWolf said:
it does not need to run on 60 fps.

Yea it does. 30 FPS might have worked well when we were playing Mario 3 and Watching TV but were getting to a point where more information has to be transferred visually these days. Especially at high levels of play that competitive gamers play at.

Think of watching a video of a wall, 1 FPS would suffice. Because theres no movement, no detail. Now think of Halo and all the detail and movement, and ask yourself how many frames you need?

It will be a much, much better game to play, lower controller latencies. Smoother gameplay. It would be like CoD, except A HALO GAME.

Let me back it up with this site: http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html and ask yourself which one you'd like to play a game with. Players and weapons move a lot faster than that block is moving.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea it does. 30 FPS might have worked well when we were playing Mario 3 and Watching TV but were getting to a point where more information has to be transferred visually these days. Especially at high levels of play that competitive gamers play at.

Think of watching a video of a wall, 1 FPS would suffice. Because theres no movement, no detail. Now think of Halo and all the detail and movement, and ask yourself how many frames you need?

It will be a much, much better game to play, lower controller latencies. Smoother gameplay. It would be like CoD, except A HALO GAME.
Next November is supposedly the cut off for MS publishing their games to 360. Halo 5 may appease this.

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea it does. 30 FPS might have worked well when we were playing Mario 3 and Watching TV
Lock it and stop messing around with items or visuals that may hinder its problem. Halo 2 online MP was smooth and fast, nobody was bitching then about it.

kylej

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Yeah, but when they ran Halo 3 at 640p they got shat on, whilst nobody cared about CoD being 600p (and 58something on PS3). So Reach went up to 720p and we lost HDR range.

They got shat on because the game still ran like a bloated asshole in sub-HD.

The "all new engine" for Reach blows too. No more grey blocks running at 10fps. Locked 60fps or bust.

Striker said:
Lock it and stop messing around with items or visuals that may hinder its problem. Halo 2 online MP was smooth and fast, nobody was bitching then about it.

Again though, Halo 2 runs so much better on my computer at ~100fps. Halo 2 had a lot less visual detail though that was being transferred. Your eyes and brain have to process everything. The actual video though should be helping us humans as much as possible. I won't go into the breakdown of how we process images in our eyes and what happens after but its friggen crazy.

Sure 500grand is nice, but we want a million. Lets push ourselves to do better ya know?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy about the level specific + times achievements. I want them to be hard. If I get sick of trying, I'll just stop for a few weeks and give it another go.

Edit: With the exception of
doing the Maw's warthog run with a minute left on the clock.
That's gonna suck.

Lazslo said:
Yes! It's Friday, I can not wait to read Bungie's Weekly Updaattttooohhh shit.
Hahaha.

Lazslo said:
Yes! It's Friday, I can not wait to read Bungie's Weekly Updaattttooohhh shit. I forgot Bungie is so incredibly busy that there is simply not enough time to drop a line and update their fans. Well Maybe there isn't anything to talk about? There is always something to talk about at Bungie. Okay maybe, seriously there is nothing to update us on- least in the old days we got one of these once a week:

http://i.imgur.com/ZJEtO.jpg

Sorry to be a dick, but step it up

What would a Bungie Weekly Update talk about right now?

- Halo support? That's up to 343 Industries now.

- Destiny? It hasn't even been formally announced yet.

- Crimson: Steam Pirates? It's a Harebrained Schemes game and appeals to just a subset of the normal BWU audience (being iPad only).

I'm sure there are enough Bungie internal events and studio culture/jokes to write about, but there's a certain point after which the surlier fans will start complaining about the lack of concrete news on the next project.

If you want I could make you a MS Paint drawing once a week, but it loses something when there isn't vague game development news behind it.

This too shall pass. Be brave.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would like to see 343 mention the H4 engine and how it will run. Bungie did well with the visuals of Reach but the framerate in multiplayer is pathetic. 343 has proven so far that they're willing to listen to fans... Although, I still don't know why the fuck Evade is still around and went unchanged. Anyway, maybe we can AT THE VERY LEAST get it locked at 30 at all times if we keep complaining about the framerate. I don't know why it doesn't come up often. I'm guessing it's because Halo Reach has so many things that people can complain about.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
omg.kittens said:
This one should be hard, too:

After activating the map in the level “The Silent Cartographer,” complete the rest of your mission without firing a shot on Heroic difficulty or above.
Gotta use that grenade jump in the active camo room :D

ncsuDuncan said:
What would a Bungie Weekly Update talk about right now?

- Halo support? That's up to 343 Industries now.

- Destiny? It hasn't even been formally announced yet.

- Crimson: Steam Pirates? It's a Harebrained Schemes game and appeals to just a subset of the normal BWU audience (being iPad only).

I'm sure there are enough Bungie internal events and studio culture/jokes to write about, but there's a certain point after which the surlier fans will start complaining about the lack of concrete news on the next project.

If you want I could make you a MS Paint drawing once a week, but it loses something when there isn't vague game development news behind it.

This too shall pass. Be brave.

Possible updates:

- Bungie Aerospace developments (an inside look at how Bungie is handling the publishing aspect; hints are future titles/partners; meet the publishing team/partners)

- Aerospace contests (The team with the coolest blueprint/concept/prototype will get the monetary backing of BA to make the game a reality.)

- Bungie community game nights/tournaments

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
Possible updates:

- Bungie Aerospace developments (an inside look at how Bungie is handling the publishing aspect; hints are future titles/partners; meet the publishing team/partners)

- Aerospace contests (The team with the coolest blueprint/concept/prototype will get the monetary backing of BA to make the game a reality.)

This is a fraction of the ways Bungie could keep the community stimulated.

Bungie's silence is deafening. They don't need to keep fans "going" until their next big announcement. A soon as they are ready, the world and every fan will be paying attention.

wwm0nkey

Slightly Live said:
Bungie's silence is deafening. They don't need to keep fans "going" until their next big announcement. A soon as they are ready, the world and every fan will be paying attention.
VGAs

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
The "all new engine" for Reach blows too. No more grey blocks running at 10fps. Locked 60fps or bust.
Nah bro, sub 30fps, P2P lego land 4lyfe. After all I find it makes the game more cinematic.

Slightly Live said:
Here's my issue:

I think game studios shouldn't rely on their games to keep the fans coming back, especially with the hyper-connectivity of social media.

Look at 343's success with Twitter. David, Veronica, Frank, Jessica and Dan are constantly communicating with the fans on Twitter. The studio had a massive following long before it announced its major projects, and I'm willing to bet those fans would call themselves 343 fans as opposed to Halo fans.

For the past 10 years, Bungie cultivated a fan base around the motto, "We make Halo." That's not the case anymore. Now, Bungie has to ask itself: Are these people Halo fans, or are they Bungie fans? Bungie's silence has left fans skeptical and willing to attach themselves to something safe and vocal.

You could see it at PAX. I felt like people had already forgotten about Bungie. 343 has taken the leap into the next generation of community outreach, and I feel like Bungie hasn't taken that necessary leap yet.

Connecting the fans to the studio is the future of gaming community, and in this new social era, it's going to be crucial to the survival of studios.

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
Here's my issue:

I think game studios shouldn't rely on their games to keep the fans coming back, especially with the hyper-connectivity of social media.

Look at 343's success with Twitter. David, Veronica, Frank, Jessica and Dan are constantly communicating with the fans on Twitter. The studio had a massive following long before it announced its major projects, and I'm willing to bet those fans would call themselves 343 fans as opposed to Halo fans.

For the past 10 years, Bungie cultivated a fan base around the motto, "We make Halo." That's not the case anymore. Now, Bungie has to ask itself: Are these people Halo fans, or are they Bungie fans? Bungie's silence has left fans skeptical and willing to attach themselves to something safe and vocal.

You could see it at PAX. I felt like people had already forgotten about Bungie. 343 has taken the leap into the next generation of community outreach, and I feel like Bungie hasn't taken that necessary leap yet.

Connecting the fans to the studio is the future of gaming community, and in this new social era, it's going to be crucial to the survival of studios.
They made an active choice to disconnect themselves from the community for now. Even Urk doesn't post, though he lurks.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Possible updates:

- The Bungie Aerospace stuff is tricky - how long were they working with Harebrained before Crimson was even announced? I wouldn't be surprised if it's too early to start talking (or even hinting) about future titles/partners.

An article about the publishing aspect would be cool, but I could see that as filling up only one or two weeks of updates. It's probably better to save that for when the BWU formally returns and you need filler for a busy week.

- BA Contests are even trickier - I don't think Aerospace is big enough yet to do something like the Doritos contest or even the XNA Dream.Build.Play challenge. The impression I get is that they are content with finding one or two independent developers they want to work with at a time - a contest open to the general public wouldn't really be feasible and there would still be a long time gap before anything was worth showing off in a BWU.

- Bringing back community game nights wouldn't be a bad idea, but it looks like Bungie is content to let 343 entertain the Halo community. Maybe start up an old school Marathon humpday challenge?

Did we ever get a real tour of the Bellevue studio? I think there were some pics posted when they first moved in, but another redaction-filled walkthrough wouldn't be unwelcome.

I'm surprised we never saw mention of the PAX panel or their charity dinner on Bungie.net, it looks like that kind of news is being relegated to their Facebook page now.

Edit: Blarg, just saw your new post. Reading that now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
Here's my issue:

You are comparing a company with a new game just weeks away from release with another who are months if not years away from announcing anything. Not a fair comparison to make.

TheOddOne

How active was Bungie post release Reach? I know that during Halo 3 - ODST it was lively, but I got the feeling it dyed down come Reach release.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hah, got another achievement from Reach. Only 5 left.

What's with the one that you have to kill someone with a DMR in slayer across the map? I swear I've done that many times...

Slightly Live said:
You are comparing a company with a new game just weeks away from release with another who are months if not years away from announcing anything. Not a fair comparison to make.

True, but the company with a new game is also a company without a game to its name. Anniversary is 343's first game, yet the studio's fan base is rabid and loyal. How often do you see that?

I was trying to decipher why that would be the case, and I think social media has a large part in it -- the other parts being the fantastic Weekly Bulletins and the fact that it's now in charge of Halo (which, to be perfectly fair, is a major factor).

(And what happens if Bungie's game is too different from Halo? My main point is that Bungie has fostered loyalty through the games it makes and not the people who make them, whereas 343 has done the opposite to fantastic results.)

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hah, got another achievement from Reach. Only 5 left.

What's with the one that you have to kill someone with a DMR in slayer across the map? I swear I've done that many times...
You have to do it really far. Beyond aim assist range.

Risen

Not sure if anyone else updated... checked the last couple pages and didn't see, but Tashi's team lost in Winner's Round Three to some known kids, a couple semi-pro guys... was a super close series... went all three games and last game decided 50-48. Good chit!

So now they're on to the Loser's side of the bracket tomorrow...

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Here's my issue:

I don't quite follow. What is 343 doing that Bungie didn't?

Weekly update on their site to inform and keep the community returning to the site? Bungie was doing that.

Podcast? Bungie was doing that.

Active in community forums (including NeoGAF)? Check.

Community forums on their site with interaction with Bungie? Yup.

Forum for playlist feedback, and monthly playlist updates? Yup.

Active on Twitter? Yes, though the 343 folks are chattier (which is great).

So in what way has Bungie "not taken that necessary leap"?

The real difference is one of timing, with Bungie being a studio that is deliberately turning inward for a gestational period, while 343 is actively building theirs as they ready their first real product. 343 has been working overtime to draw the Halo community - and that is much of Bungie's community - into their fold. Bungie has gone quiet to focus on their next thing. They cut the tether to Halo, and 343 is now working to corral and draw the attention of the Halo community. They've done a pretty great job, I think we agree. (Though, I wish they'd been more ready to take on active management of Reach - no one was at the wheel for three months.)

Bungie's silence is intentional and I don't think now is the time to be drawing conclusions about how effectively they are engaging their community through social networks. Once they start their community outreach again, we'll have a better sense and such conclusions can be drawn.

Which has me wondering: will that process start with a bang - an unveiling at a convention somewhere - or will they restart their community outreach and interaction beforehand? I'm hoping they warm back up leading up the announcement, myself. I do enjoy the teasing.

Homeboyd

Letters said:
Nothing personal, I was just making the achievement list happen by indirectly making grampa David insecure about his age. You're welcome rest of gaf/halo-community.
Just fuckin around. I'm a sarcastic shit most of the time...

Don't mind me.

Hitmonchan107 said:
True, but the company with a new game is also a company without a game to its name. Anniversary is 343's first game, yet the studio's fan base is rabid and loyal. How often do you see that?

I was trying to decipher why that would be the case, and I think social media has a large part in it -- the other parts being the fantastic Weekly Bulletins and the fact that it's now in charge of Halo (which, to be perfectly fair, is a major factor).

(And what happens if Bungie's game is too different from Halo? My main point is that Bungie has fostered loyalty through the games it makes and not the people who make them, whereas 343 has done the opposite to fantastic results.)

They have rabid and loyal fans because their game is Halo, which is probably the biggest franchise in gaming the last ten years. The overwhelming majority of people have no idea who 343 is or why they should care. They just know that Halo is a game that they like.

For the most part only the hardcore fans (us) know or care who the developer is and their interaction with the community, same reason that the overwhelming majority of people are not going to pay attention to the fact that Bungie has little to nothing to say. When Bungie actually announces a game, then a large number of people will start paying attention.

Ghal, I think you underestimate the influence of Twitter, but I realize I've underestimated both the mystique of Bungie and the power of the Halo juggernaut.

Foreverascrub.jpg

blamite

Okay, that
popcorn.gif
achievement is the best thing I've seen all day. :D

That said, I can tell there are a few achievements that'll want to make me rip my face off.

Quick question Ellis, Frankie, maybe one of you guys can answer, can the level specific achievements be done in co-op? They don't say they can't, but they don't say they can, either.
Also, does beating the campaign on co-op on a certain difficulty also unlock the single player versions? I'm guessing the answer is no, which means that Halo 1 and 2 both have Legendary achievements I'll never get. :p

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
blamite said:
Quick question Ellis, Frankie, maybe one of you guys can answer, can the level specific achievements be done in co-op? They don't say they can't, but they don't say they can, either.

Have you no Halo Honor™? Unless otherwise stated all level specific achievements should work in co-op.

I'll check and make sure this is the case though.

Ramirez

Most of those achievements look like actual achievements compared to stupid ones like beating a campaign level on any diff. like most games.

Hitmonchan, I typed out a big response but I think Ghaleon covered most of it. I do want to mention these points though:

Hitmonchan107 said:
@bungietweets is still pretty active, as are the accounts of many Bungie employees. They just can't really engage the Halo community right now like 343 employees can. (And yes, David, Veronica, Frank, Jessica, Dan, Alison, et al. are doing a fantastic job.)

Hitmonchan107 said:
This I disagree with. The cheers before and after the "Bungie: Hatching the Cosmic Halo Egg" panel at PAX were deafening.

Hitmonchan107 said:
The Marty Army begs to differ. Bungie had fans before Halo, the studio has a unique culture that fosters loyalty. They'll be fine.

Question regarding "Leave It Where It Lay" achievement, if someone would be so kind.

Complete the level “Two Betrayals” on Legendary difficulty without picking up a new weapon.

Does that mean you're not allowed to pick up a new plasma pistol to replenish the one you start the level with? Or simply that you're not allowed to change weapons from the Shotgun/PP combo?

Top Bottom