• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Louis Wu said:
You were perfectly understandable. Your English is WAAAAAY better than my German - so keep it up. :)
lol. Should I take that as a compliment?

Btw. I would do that soundbox stuff if you guys buy me a mic.

Gui_PT said:
It's COARSE!

Clearly none of you knows Germanian.
Schnitzel in den POPO!

GhaleonEB said:
I'm of the quality over quantity mindset. Reach shipped with eight Firefight maps, but I only wanted to play on three of them after the first month or so (Corvette, Courtyard, Beachhead). So if we get five unique, versatile and fun Firefight maps, yay.

I just hope the game engine is reworked so things like crates and ammo boxes can be moved around, and the netcode gets an overhaul.
I hope we get different types of enemy groupings, depending on the species. Some come in squads, some break apart to flank, some swarm. Reach kind of tried to do that, but it all ends up being just clumps of foes to vanquish fairly easily. The only true difficulty comes from the skulls in the game, which to me is kind of cheating. I'm very interested to see how Gears' Horde 2.0 works, and if any of if could be translated into the next Firefight iteration.

Ken

squidhands said:
...it all ends up being just clumps of foes to vanquish fairly easily. I'm very interested to see how Gears' Horde 2.0 works, and if any of if could be translated into the next Firefight iteration.

Doesn't Horde mode play a lot differently from Reach's Firefight because the majority of the enemies in Gears are bullet sponges, except for the Wretch and Tickers. There's also no DMR, at least not a default precision weapon with the same range as the DMR. In Reach, the majority of enemy types are easily killed with headshots using precision weapons which makes it somewhat difficult for the AI to successfully pull off any real strategy even with different groupings of enemies.

Unless you meant hoping for different enemy groupings of non-Covenant enemies in Halo 4, then it would be cool to see some tougher enemies unable to be taken out with simple weapon combos like Plasma Pistol+DMR or a Needle Rifle explosion.

Also, GUNGNIR prototype.

tvhat.jpg

Ken said:
Doesn't Horde mode play a lot differently from Reach's Firefight because the majority of the enemies in Gears are bullet sponges, except for the Wretch and Tickers. There's also no DMR, at least not a default precision weapon with the same range as the DMR. In Reach, the majority of enemy types are easily killed with headshots using precision weapons which makes it somewhat difficult for the AI to successfully pull off any real strategy even with different groupings of enemies.
Right. It's a very different animal, but there might be concepts that might translate over to Reach. I haven't played Horde in so long that I don't really even remember how the enemy behavior works, apart from a rush to a semi-fortified position. And to be fair, once the Mythic skull is activated, Brutes, Elites and Hunters are similar sponges until you can knock their hats off.

I'm mainly interested in the AI behavior for Gears 3 and how it could possibly work in Halo's Firefight, and I'm betting/hoping that 343 is too.

Ken said:

Unless you meant hoping for different enemy groupings of non-Covenant enemies in Halo 4, then it would be cool to see some tougher enemies unable to be taken out with simple weapon combos like Plasma Pistol+DMR or a Needle Rifle explosion.

Also, GUNGNIR prototype.

tvhat.jpg
I'm not a Gears-expert, but from my limited experience the hammerburst is more or less a DMR with a shitload of recoil. Most enemies are sponges yes, but headshots make quick work (or at least do considerably more damage). There is also the revolver weapon, which I believe is a headshot weapon.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken

Stripper13 said:
I'm not a Gears-expert, but from my limited experience the hammerburst is more or less a DMR with a shitload of recoil.

I never thought it was very DMR-like in Gears 2, but I think the Gears 3 Hammerburst is, especially with iron-sights.

Ken said:
I never thought it was very DMR-like in Gears 2, but I think the Gears 3 Hammerburst is, especially with iron-sights.

Jep; in the beta, the hammerburst really had a decent range. Not sniper range but more then enough to keep a healty distance between you and the sawed of shotgun guyes

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm down for customs when they start! Someone send me an invite please. <3

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thought I'd post this here.

A quick look at the concepts and ideas behind Halo 4.

Also, we're just opened up the Forward Unto Dawn Article and Concept Art Gallery. We're hoping to make it the definitive collection of officially released Halo concept art (and FUD article gallery) and we're just starting the project so there's more to come.

heckfu

Banned
Would love to play with yall but Tennessee just started their game. Very little football talk here...might have to keep the southerner in me at bay for a while.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Going to get online as soon as I can install this fucking heatsink fan on the side. What the fuck is this beast.

orochi_cooler_16.jpg

heckfu said:
Would love to play with yall but Tennessee just started their game. Very little football talk here...might have to keep the southerner in me at bay for a while.
I have to keep track of the UF game through ESPN phone updates. We're skraight murking fools, by the way.

Trasher

Oh cool a map I've never played. Wonder if it's any good.

*goes off a mancannon and dies*

Please at least pick slayer if you are gonna pick random broken maps. Assault gametypes on maps you've never played are no fun when you have to figure out spawns and plant sites. =/

Trasher said:
Oh cool a map I've never played. Wonder if it's any good.

*goes off a mancannon and dies*

Please at least pick slayer if you are gonna pick random broken maps. Assault gametypes on maps you've never played are no fun when you have to figure out spawns and plant sites. =/

It was neutral and we couldn't even pick it up. Not to mention the map is pretty much made for red to turtle.

Top Bottom