• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Just want to let everyone know that I'm looking into the "daily" challenge.

Just checked in with the team back in Seattle. Not quite sure what the time difference is off the top of my head as I'm typing this via my phone in France. :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
Pro vote went in favor of no-bloom, and Killa KC has stated that he prefers no-bloom over bloom, so it's incredibly likely that we'll see no-bloom at Providence.
Whatever, I'm sure I'll be fine with it. I honestly don't like the bullets bleeding through and spamming the trigger all the time. Those are my main issues with how MLG will be. It's especially not a big deal because I don't think I'm going to providence. I either need a miracle sponsor or need to drive there and sleep in my car lol.

What did the votes end up being between the pros. Landslide or close?

lybertyboy said:

Just checked in with the team back in Seattle. Not quite sure what the time difference is off the top of my head as I'm typing this via my phone in France. :)
They SHOULD be at work right now :p

lybertyboy said:

It's 9:21am in Seattle. Paris time - 9hours. We Europeans love math.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
What did the votes end up being between the pros. Landslide or close?

Last number that I heard was 28 to 18 in favor of no-bloom, haven't seen or heard anyone toss out the final numbers though, just that no-bloom won.

Hypertrooper said:
I'm faster than Elzar! Data Drop 6

vader.jpg

Oh yea I said awhile ago there was no way MLG wouldn't pick up no bloom.

I hope they do something with the bleedthrough headshots though and limit the pistol. Probably altering the damage/health wouldn't be bad either.

Yeah, nice data drop. The whole "One part of Reach at war while the other part doesn't know jack" is still kinda far-fetched, but hey, they're trying to fix this mess. I like it.

PooBone

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, nice data drop. The whole "One part of Reach at war while the other part doesn't know jack" is still kinda far-fetched, but hey, they're trying to fix this mess. I like it.
Yeah, whenever I read some of the cleanup they're doing for the Reach canon I kinda wanna roll my eyes, but that is at least better than nothing.

Most developers would just tell us to "deal with it". They're trying to make it a bit easier to accept, which is something I applaud immensely.

stephen08

Karl2177 said:
You two are on extreme ends of the spectrum. There's an understandable limit on each end, but you guys have crossed the respectable lines. You can't be a golden person all the time, but you can't be a shithead all of the time. There's time for smack talk and there's time for general respect. I don't see what's so hard about moving from your position into one of common sense.

I wasn't discussing the matter with Juices. I know that is just a fruitless labor. Bringing up someone's skill as some kind of rebuttal is just a shitty thing to do. It has no bearing on the conversation at hand.

Also, I think you misinterpret my position. Sportsmanship doesn't mean no competition. Competition is the whole reason we play adversarial multiplayer in the first place. That's fine. When you start going out of your way to be a dick to the competition that's when there gets to be a problem.

Anyway, I really don't want to debate this further. I'm just clarifying some things.

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh yea I said awhile ago there was no way MLG wouldn't pick up no bloom.

I hope they do something with the bleedthrough headshots though and limit the pistol. Probably altering the damage/health wouldn't be bad either.

What is wrong with bleedthrough headshots? Halo CE/2/3 had them and it was fine.

The Real Napsta said:
What is wrong with bleedthrough headshots? Halo CE/2/3 had them and it was fine.
Did CE/2/3 really have bleedthrough headshots? I know there was melee bleedthrough but I thought shields always had to be down for a headshot (except for snipers).

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

ncsuDuncan said:
Did CE/2/3 really have bleedthrough headshots? I know there was melee bleedthrough but I thought shields always had to be down for a headshot (except for snipers).

Yep. CE pistol did not remove all shields with 2 shots. 3rd shot pierced shields and killed you if it was a headshot.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:

3 was 3 shots to the body to drop shields and then pull up for a headshot.

You could also shoot 3 times in the head to drop shields, but that was silly as your spread cluster could go past their head.

In Reach it's 4 to drop shields in body then fifth in the head, or 4 in the head.

That's what we call an "inconsistency", and why bleedthrough should only be in Classic to emulate the previous titles for classic game modes.

ncsuDuncan said:

3 didn't, 3 shots took shields off completely. The only time bleedthrough really came into play was melees, but it wasn't possible to headshot someone if they still had shields under normal settings. Unless you had an extreme edgecase where the amount of shield they had left was equal to the damage dealt by exactly two BR bullets, in which case the third one would hit the head and headshot them.

FyreWulff said:

You could also shoot 3 times in the head to drop shields, but that was silly as your spread cluster could go past their head.

In Reach it's 4 to drop shields in body then fifth in the head, or 4 in the head.

That's what we call an "inconsistency"

3 didn't, 3 shots took shields off completely. The only time bleedthrough really came into play was melees, but it wasn't possible to headshot someone if they still had shields under normal settings.
Well that's not true. Even with bleedthrough it takes 4 shots to get rid of shields without killing them, but if the player has taken some damage from something else then you will see that 4th shot bleedthrough for the kill.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Well that's not true. Even with bleedthrough it takes 4 shots to get rid of shields without killing them, but if the player has taken some damage from something else then you will see that 4th shot bleedthrough for the kill.

Pistol dot jaypeg. There's a reason why it's silly to use the DMR in Zero Bloom Slayer. Because the pistol fires faster and kills in less shots and is headshot-capable.

FyreWulff said:
Pistol dot jaypeg. There's a reason why it's silly to use the DMR in Zero Bloom Slayer. Because the pistol fires faster and kills in less shots and is headshot-capable.
Well yeah the pistol is different than the DMR with bleedthrough enabled.

FyreWulff said:

That's what we call an "inconsistency"

Umm I'm talking about the DMR bro, it's always 5 shots. That's "consistency"

FyreWulff said:
3 didn't, 3 shots took shields off completely. The only time bleedthrough really came into play was melees, but it wasn't possible to headshot someone if they still had shields under normal settings.

That doesn't mean headshots could not bleed though. Try it with the carbine, get really low shields get hit with a carbine round. You will die.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
That's the final art, but the US version at least has a cool wrapper with embossed silver all up on its. And metallic silver/gold foil.
Just curious, was a special edition for this even considered at some point?

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
That doesn't mean headshots could not bleed though. Try it with the carbine, get really low shields get hit with a carbine round. You will die.

It did? Cool. Too bad you couldn't start with it and it was not on all maps :(

Beta Carbine Never Forget

OuterWorldVoice said:
And as far as I can tell, Yerp too. Just not APAC. As far as I know. Watch this space.
I'm observing this post the whole night day. The whole day. Other question: Does the first batch only have the paper sleeve, or does every version have it? If so and the European version don't get it, I'll buy the Anniversary version with my Amazon.com gift card.(When Halo CEA will be part of some sales.)

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
That's the final art, but the US version at least has a cool wrapper with embossed silver all up on its. And metallic silver/gold foil.
So we can melt the wrapper and foil to help pay for Halo 4?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dax01 said:
I'd take a steelbook of Halo anytime.
Come to Canada! We've had a Steelbook for most big releases this year (movies too). I guess one of our national chains has a partnership.

The Real Napsta said:
Yep. CE pistol did not remove all shields with 2 shots. 3rd shot pierced shields and killed you if it was a headshot.
Ah. I forgot that the second pistol shot still left shields.

Halo 2 and 3 didn't feel like they had bleedthrough headshots. I'll take your word for it though. Maybe I'll try testing it in 3 later.

-------
I wish they could make it melee-only bleedthrough for Vanilla Reach. Until then I'd prefer:

Vanilla Playlists
- Sword blocking OFF
- AA tweaks ON (Active Camo, Armor Lock)
- 85% bloom
- Bleedthrough OFF (so the pistol isn't buffed)

Classic
- Normal tweaks for Classic movement, etc.
- Sword blocking OFF
- Bleedthrough ON
- No Reach Pistols at all. (No Needle Rifles either.)
- Three Flavors:
Slayer - AR/PP start, DMRs on map (with 85% Bloom)
Slayer DMRs - DMR/AR start, DMRs on map (with 85% Bloom)
Slayer CE Pistols - CE Pistol/AR start, CE Pistols on map (with CE pistol bloom traits)

So the 85% bloom DMR acts as the BR while the CE Pistol acts like the death cannon it once was.
0% bloom isn't needed in Classic because it would only affect the DMR and would push it into the role that the CE pistol fills.

Then create a separate Zero Bloom Slayer playlist (or include it in SWAT).

-------
Random idea for TU2:
- Using the jetpack sends you to maximum reticule bloom.
There's no way they'll remove jetpack entirely, or even just disable weapon use while flying. Making it increase your bloom drastically would be nice though. I hope something like that is feasible for a TU.

- Hell, what if being cloaked sent you to maximum reticule bloom? That would stop camo snipers, right?

Random idea for Halo 4:
- During the matchmaking wait screen you can use Kinect to video chat with your friends. (It always defaults to OFF and you turn it on the same way you mute specific people in Reach's lobby.)

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
t you to maximum reticule bloom? That would stop camo snipers, right?

Random idea for Halo 4:
- During the matchmaking wait screen you can use Kinect to video chat with your friends. (It always defaults to OFF and you turn it on the same way you mute specific people in Reach's lobby.)

In Halo 4, when you accept a party invite it should show you and your party flying through the internet to the other party.

Does anyone know where can I buy a blank steelbook?
I'm planning to use my old warhammer skills to create a custom packaging for Anniversary.

I'm also accepting ideas of differents designs.

ncsuDuncan said:
Ah. I forgot that the second pistol shot still left shields.

Halo 2 and 3 didn't feel like they had bleedthrough headshots. I'll take your word for it though. Maybe I'll try testing it in 3 later.

-------
I wish they could make it melee-only bleedthrough for Vanilla Reach. Until then I'd prefer:

Vanilla Playlists
- Sword blocking OFF
- AA tweaks ON (Active Camo, Armor Lock)
- 85% bloom
- Bleedthrough OFF (so the pistol isn't buffed)

Classic
- Normal tweaks for Classic movement, etc.
- Sword blocking OFF
- Bleedthrough ON
- No Reach Pistols at all. (No Needle Rifles either.)
- Three Flavors:
Slayer - AR/PP start, DMRs on map (with 85% Bloom)
Slayer DMRs - DMR/AR start, DMRs on map (with 85% Bloom)
Slayer CE Pistols - CE Pistol/AR start, CE Pistols on map (with CE pistol bloom traits)

So the 85% bloom DMR acts as the BR while the CE Pistol acts like the death cannon it once was.
0% bloom isn't needed in Classic because it would only affect the DMR and would push it into the role that the CE pistol fills.

Then create a separate Zero Bloom Slayer playlist (or include it in SWAT).

-------
Random idea for TU2:
- Using the jetpack sends you to maximum reticule bloom.
There's no way they'll remove jetpack entirely, or even just disable weapon use while flying. Making it increase your bloom drastically would be nice though. I hope something like that is feasible for a TU.

- Hell, what if being cloaked sent you to maximum reticule bloom? That would stop camo snipers, right?

Random idea for Halo 4:

As long as Anniversary gametypes have their own 4v4 slayer and objective playlist without the rest of that junk I'll be happy.

Agreed with your vanilla Reach changes.

Top Bottom