• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

I'm personally not really a fan of bleedthrough on headshots. Reach does some things splendidly, specifically the audio-visual feedback you receive when taking fire and bleedthrough headshots just kind of throws some of that out the window.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Barrow Roll said:
I'm personally not really a fan of bleedthrough on headshots. Reach does some things splendidly, specifically the audio-visual feedback you receive when taking fire and bleedthrough headshots just kind of throws some of that out the window.
Yup, thats exactly why I don't like the bleed through shots. It takes the science away.

Barrow Roll said:

Yeah I agree, once I got used to it, I actually like not having bleed through on headshot weapons.

Melee on the other hand...

senador

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I came to write a post about this and you nailed how I feel.

Ramirez

Bleed through is great, Reach just wasn't designed around it to begin with, so it feels sloppy. I still say Halo 3's shield flare was a much better visual feedback system.

y217H.png

And the last minute of the game.

I get shot with the pistol once, and a single grenade kills me despite having near-full shields and full health. That is so...ugh. 343, please nerf the grenades.

Bleedthrough would be fantastic if Reach's feedback loop was designed with it in mind. Despite all the things Reach did wrong, the feedback is great.

feel

Ramirez said:
Bleed through is great, Reach just wasn't designed around it to begin with, so it feels sloppy. I still say Halo 3's shield flare was a much better visual feedback system.
This.

Reach is just too broken and beyond saving and 343i's halfhearted efforts (so far) really show that. I want the Halo 4 beta now.

thezerofire said:
Bleedthrough would be fantastic if Reach's feedback loop was designed with it in mind. Despite all the things Reach did wrong, the feedback is great.

It doesn't feel sloppy to me at all, you have both rumble and a shield bar telling you are being shot/your shields are low. It should be enough.

Tashi0106 said:
No way, Reachs is much better. And the shields popping and making that sound is huge.

It's great but totally un-needed.

squidhands said:
I see what you did there

Haha that wasn't even intentional.

Ace 8095 said:
Are the reach map packs worth buying? Do they ever appear in non dlc playlists?

They don't show up in non-dlc playlists. It's very rare occasion to get one to show up.

Dax01 said:
y217H.png

I get shot with the pistol once, and a single grenade kills me despite having near-full shields and full health. That is so...ugh. 343, please nerf the grenades.

Wow, anytime someone posts their game in which they played well, but still lost I'm just going to post the picture of this game.

+29 in a slayer game to 50 and losing is pretty hard to do.

Tashi

Ramirez said:
No way, Reachs is much better. And the shields popping and making that sound is huge.

Plywood said:
For those who can't access the data drop atm:

qJT6H.jpg

This was neat, but I still just can't buy that they wouldn't know what was going on on the other side of the planet unless the Covenant knocked out literally every form of communications and rapid transit besides friggin' Pony Express. Imagine if, say, London got nuked three hours ago and nobody heard about it until 3 weeks from now. Completely asinine. That shit wouldn't fly in 1940, let alone 540 years from now

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
Yup, thats exactly why I don't like the bleed through shots. It takes the science away.

I think it just shifts the "science".

It means you have to be more aware of what's happening in a shorter amount of time and react to it more quickly; all the while rewarding better aim in that environment.

No bleed through is certainly easier... definitely slower... and it doesn't punish poor positioning or challenging as severely as there is more time to deal with everything going on...

(all said with the caveat that bleed through damage is consistent and not buggy as it is in the beta)

Ken

Thagomizer said:
This was neat, but I still just can't buy that they wouldn't know what was going on on the other side of the planet unless the Covenant knocked out literally every form of communications and rapid transit besides friggin' Pony Express. Imagine if, say, London got nuked three hours ago and nobody heard about it until 3 weeks from now. Completely asinine. That shit wouldn't fly in 1940, let alone 540 years from now
It takes a long time to get the "It's the Covenant" guy to the other side of Reach by pony.

Havok

Tashi0106 said:
Absolutely. Reach gives damage feedback a hundred times better than any other game in the series. The pop clang, the brightening of shields as they reach the popping point, all of that gives more information than any Halo game has. Bleedthrough doesn't give the player a good sense that his shields are getting low - I've always disliked the dual-sided shield bar for this reason. It's difficult to exactly tell how many shots you've got left in you at a glance.

For some wacky reason, I thought melee bleedthrough would decrease the instances of double melee kills, but all it's really done is brought the Halo 3 AR rush back into the game (to great detriment to game quality, if I may editorialize). Three ridiculously fast pistol shots or a half second burst AR and a melee are all that's needed to bring an end to any close quarters encounter with melee bleedthrough, with zero warning to the other player.

There are things that Reach did wrong, but damage feedback is not even close to joining that list.
Ace 8095 said:
Are the reach map packs worth buying? Do they ever appear in non dlc playlists?
If you roll with a full team, go for it. Otherwise, I can't recommend them. As a random your chances getting 7 other people with them in matchmaking is really low outside the DLC playlists. The quality of the weapon placement on the maps is also pretty sketchy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thagomizer said:
They took out the internets, no one could tweet a thing!

Havok said:
Absolutely. Reach gives damage feedback a hundred times better than any other game in the series. The pop clang, the brightening of shields as they reach the popping point, all of that gives more information than any Halo game has. Bleedthrough doesn't give the player a good sense that his shields are getting low - I've always disliked the dual-sided shield bar for this reason. It's difficult to exactly tell how many shots you've got left in you at a glance.

For some wacky reason, I thought melee bleedthrough would decrease the instances of double melee kills, but all it's really done is brought the Halo 3 AR rush back into the game (to great detriment, if I may editorialize). Three ridiculously fast pistol shots and a melee are all that's needed to bring an end to any close quarters encounter with melee bleedthrough, with zero warning to the other player.

There are things that Reach did wrong, but damage feedback is not even close to joining that list.

With the exception of the screen washout from fuel rod and the concussion rifle. Can't see shit

Plywood said:

Havok

Thagomizer said:
With the exception of the screen washout from fuel rod and the concussion rifle. Can't see shit

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/7/16/brains-with-urgent-appointments/
Those are two specific weapons that just work very strangely (there was discussion on the disconnect with the conc rifle specifically probably six months ago). Their visual feedback doesn't match up to the damage they deal in multiplayer. The fuel rod gun has a visual splash as large or larger than rockets, but doesn't have nearly as big of a damage radius, and the concussion rifle is just weird. It'll knock players and enemy AI around like pinballs, but doesn't do the damage that you would expect from that kind of behavior. It's like they tried to make a Brute Shot look more powerful while being still kind of shitty.

Those two weapons don't really belong in multiplayer to begin with (or really single player either, in the case of the Concussion Rifle), and it just seems like an in-between where they couldn't decide if they wanted a normal weapon or a power weapon in place - or in the case of the Fuel Rod, they weren't thinking at all, because that weapon is ridiculous in MP. How it's still in all the Spire variants is beyond me.

On another topic, spent a little while in BTB and Objective last night, which just reminded me how much better 85% bloom feels than 100. I don't particularly like ZB, because it brings a lot of range problems to the forefront, but man, 85 feels great. Please make it default, duders in charge.

Yea the bleedthrough just doesn't work well with Halo Reach's feedback system which is pretty damn good, I love the idea of knowing someone is one shot and they must escape. H2 and H3 didn't do too bad a job of this either and you usually knew if the person you were shooting at was no shields or not. So yea bleedthrough existed but you still had to four/shot them.

I dunno, personal preference maybe.

People that are good get on Halo. People that are bad, stay on GAF please.

Timan

Developer
Question,

The current reach map dlc thats out. Are "all" of those included with Halo Anniversary? I'm wondering if I should buy em now or wait a month.

Havok

Timan said:
Question,

The current reach map dlc thats out. Are "all" of those included with Halo Anniversary? I'm wondering if I should buy em now or wait a month.
No, just the 6 MP +1 FF Anniversary maps are included with CEA.

In a perfect world, it'd be an ODST situation, but alas. Money.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thagomizer said:
Started Shogun yet?

I will keep pestering you until you do
Soon. I might just start right now... or I should get back to finishing Clash of Kings, then read Shogun, or I could go side by side. How should I go about this?

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Looks like bloom is in for Providence. Fan/Pro voting means nothing lol.
Isn't this middle of the season? (or whatever it's called)

Changing it midseason with points already assigned for bloom gameplay would be kinda laughable, not that anyone respects that manbaby organization, but they still try to get you to.

It will be gone in the beginning of next season probably.

Plywood said:
I almost got sucked into the eternal warp of TVtropes thanks to you. I'll try and power through Clash of Kings over the next couple of days.

Here's the relevant bit (none of this is really a spoiler except in a background-info sense, but I'll black it out just in case you want to go in completely dark):
James Clavell's Shogun: Oh, where should we even begin? The five members of the Council of Regents are all scheming to displace one another and seize ultimate power as Shogun; Toranaga and Ishido are both trying to manipulate their fellow Councilors into doing the other in over a personal rivalry; the Regent Mother is trying to keep them all divided in order to ensure that her son Yaemon follows in the Taiko's footsteps; Kasigi Yabu is plotting against Toranaga in order to get his spot on the Council as a stepping-stone to his own road to the Shogunate; his nephew Kasigi Omi is, in turn, plotting to overthrow his uncle and take over leadership of the clan; the traditional daimyo are at odds with their Catholic counterparts who are backed by the Jesuits; and the Jesuits themselves are struggling to keep trade open between Japan and the Portuguese colonies and continue to permit their proselytizing while arming the Christian peasantry in preparation for an expected Catholic invasion from the Philippines. Enter John Blackthorne...
...And these are only the main players. There are a bunch of side-plots and minor characters running around at the same time.

Tashi

Letters said:
Isn't this middle of the season? (or whatever it's called)

Changing it midseason with points already assigned for bloom gameplay would be kinda laughable, not that anyone respects that manbaby organization, but they still try to get you to.

It will be gone in the beginning of next season probably.

This is actually the National Championship event now. 100,000$ on the line. That's the thinking I believe, it would be a joke to change it at this point in the season.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
This is actually the National Championship event now. 100,000$ on the line. That's the thinking I believe, it would be a joke to change it at this point in the season.

I disagree, no-bloom makes the game much more consistent and allows the teams with better communication, team work, strats, etc. win, which in turn makes the game more competitive. That alone shouldhave been reasoning enough to implement it for not just Nationals, but Orlando as well, then you add on top of the fact that a majority of the MLG community as well as the pros wanted it in AND that the stream viewership numbers were extremely low last event (lower then CoD's stream numbers,) and it just makes their decision look counter productive. Reach's first season has been anything but consistent, but they don't realize this and once again have pissed their community off.

Oh well.

Tashi

Blinding said:
I disagree, no-bloom makes the game much more consistent and allows the teams with better communication, team work, strats, etc. win, which in turn makes the game more competitive. That alone shouldhave been reasoning enough to implement it for not just Nationals, but Orlando as well, then you add on top of the fact that a majority of the MLG community as well as the pros wanted it in AND that the stream viewership numbers were extremely low last event (lower then CoD's stream numbers,) and it just makes their decision look counter productive. Reach's first season has been anything but consistent, but they don't realize this and once again have pissed their community off.

Oh well.

Regardless of what anyone's opinion on bloom is you can't change it in the championships, you just can't. It's like getting to the post season in Baseball and making everyone play Softball.

Tashi0106 said:
Regardless of what anyone's opinion on bloom is you can't change it in the championships, you just can't. It's like getting to the post season in Baseball and making everyone play Softball.
it would be extremely entertaining though

Dax01 said:
y217H.png

Nice propipe kills Dax. 95% of my deaths on cage are by grenades, tru fax.

steelyuhas said:
Wow, anytime someone posts their game in which they played well, but still lost I'm just going to post the picture of this game.

+29 in a slayer game to 50 and losing is pretty hard to do.

I can equal it.

Dem guests.

Can anybody better it though?

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
It's like getting to the post season in Baseball and making everyone play Softball.

:lol No, not really. Getting rid of bloom is on the same level of changing the map and gametypes, which has happened 6 times now. And even if the change was as dramatic as making baseball players play softball, the people that are going to be playing for the money made it very clear that they wanted the change, in fact there were so many no-bloom customs going on between the pros last night that it was ridiculous. I mean, the fact that they asked, found out the majority wanted it, and then went against that is just flat out stupid to me, all because of what, league consistency in regards to an inconsistent mechanic that a majority of the league's players, staff, and supporters don't want? It just doesn't make that much sense to me and seemingly a lot of people.

Tashi

Blinding said:
:lol No, not really. Getting rid of bloom is on the same level of changing the map and gametypes, which has happened 6 times now. And even if the change was as dramatic as making baseball players play softball, the people that are going to be playing for the money made it very clear that they wanted the change, in fact there were so many no-bloom customs going on between the pros last night that it was ridiculous. I mean, the fact that they asked, found out the majority wanted it, and then went against that is just flat out stupid to me, all because of what, league consistency in regards to an inconsistent mechanic that a majority of the league's players, staff, and supporters don't want? It just doesn't make that much sense to me and seemingly a lot of people.

Maps and gametype changes have been happening for years and years, it's something we're very used to. I can't remember a change this big coming to the pro circuit in the middle of the season. An actual game mechanic change. I guess it would be more like changing the baseball bat in the post season.

They may have gotten the majority of votes but it wasn't a landslide. If it was near unanimous then I would understand why they would want to change it.

Top Bottom