• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Louis Wu

Tashi0106 said:
Well we just don't want 8 OT7's going up at once. Let Dax do it, he's called it for a while now. It's better, so there's no confusion
This.

PsychoRaven said:
I agree. It don't matter who does it. It's simply going to be a copy of this one with a new title. It's not important all said and done since the hard work was long done by Ghal.
And this.

Havok

Territory capture progress icons on the bottom of the screen, bomb/flag return time bars, descriptive territory locations (You lost the lift).

Where did all of the awesome functional UI designers go after this game?

Edit: Proper objective item contesting. Sogood.gif

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
Territory capture progress icons on the bottom of the screen, bomb/flag return time bars, descriptive territory locations (You lost the lift).

Edit: Proper objective item contesting. Sogood.gif
Halo 2 was very very good with objectives and the contesting system.

Sucks that we wont have hour long Assault and 1-Flag battles on the new version of Head Long :(

MrBig

Havok said:

They spent all their time on the menu UIs and forgot about the in-game UI.

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 was very very good with objectives and the contesting system.

Sucks that we wont have hour long Assault and 1-Flag battles on the new version of Head Long :(

Not really, Halo 2's sudden death was really lame. Not saying 3/Reach is the answer, but 2 is no example to go off of either.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Not really, Halo 2's sudden death was really lame. Not saying 3/Reach is the answer, but 2 is no example to go off of either.
You couldn't flag contest or bomb contest the objectives in H3/Reach, nor is Sudden Death any good.

Foot away from the flag to score with the objective in your hands? Too bad, time ran out! #bungietroll

Ramirez

Striker said:
You couldn't flag contest or bomb contest the objectives in H3/Reach, nor is Sudden Death any good.

Foot away from the flag to score with the objective in your hands? Too bad, time ran out! #bungietroll

Well, like I said, 3/Reach are not the right way either, but the trolling you could do with sudden death in Halo 2 was lame. People will always find a way to abuse that type of system, there has to be some type of time limit to a match. Getting flashbacks of people throwing the bomb up top on Midship where you couldn't grab it, ugh.

wwm0nkey

I mostly just miss the contesting. I REALLY hate when I am about to pick up a flag but it just vanishes.

Hell they should have gave us the option to turn contesting on/off and edit the contesting radius of objectives in Forge.

Havok

wwm0nkey said:
Ramirez said:
Yeah, infinite sudden death was not a good idea. Proximity contesting was awesome, if it had a hard sudden death cap, that'd be awesomer-er.
MrBig said:
They spent all their time on the menu UIs and forgot about the in-game UI.
Even the menu UI isn't as functional as it should be - Reach's Active Roster can't even display a party of 8 people in a match. It shows seven gamertags and then (MORE). Did anybody even think that Big Team was in the game?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
Well, like I said, 3/Reach are not the right way either, but the trolling you could do with sudden death in Halo 2 was lame. People will always find a way to abuse that type of system, there has to be some type of time limit to a match. Getting flashbacks of people throwing the bomb up top on Midship where you couldn't grab it, ugh.
You didn't like searching for that one dude outside your base on Headlong who was jumping up in the air extending the sudden death? lol

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
Yeah, infinite sudden death was not a good idea. Proximity contesting was awesome, if it had a hard sudden death cap, that'd be awesomer-er.

Even the menu UI isn't as functional as it should be - Reach's Active Roster can't even display a party of 8 people in a match. It shows seven gamertags and then (MORE). Did anybody even think that Big Team was in the game?
Proximity contesting and a Sudden Death cap would be perfect.

Ramirez

Cocopjojo said:
You didn't like searching for that one dude outside your base on Headlong who was jumping up in the air extending the sudden death? lol

Such a blast!

Proximity contesting was pretty broken on smaller maps, Lockout 1 Flag was near impossible to return to the base unless they threw it off by accident.

FyreWulff

Cocopjojo said:

Real pros hid on the outside cliffhanger ledge up top

I wonder if that ledge is still there, only like 2 people ever found me on it.

wwm0nkey said:
Hell they should have gave us the option to turn contesting on/off and edit the contesting radius of objectives in Forge.

I believe these are Megalo options, and I asked Jeremiah about being able to change contest return radius. I agreed with his answer on it - it's possible for him to do, but he'd rather add new options to CTF that add more possible uses for the gametype than losing that to defining the return radius which doesn't really do much for more functionality.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did customs happen? I need to add more HaloGAFers to my friends list. I'm gonna start mass adding yall from that HaloGAF gamertag spreadsheet. BE MY FRIEND. I'M NICE.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I fuckin say MLG is better all the time but really for Sudden Death, MLG's version is much better. I sound like a broken record for sure lol

edit: Add me kittens. My gt is SV Ramby

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
RIP Storm Ventures

I actually matched with Ramby in H3 and was like, yo, I used to love Storm Ventures. Hes like, bro really, you remember Storm Ventures? Im like, hell yea bro! It was cool

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
RIP Storm Ventures

I actually matched with Ramby in H3 and was like, yo, I used to love Storm Ventures. Hes like, bro really, you remember Storm Ventures? Im like, hell yea bro! It was cool

quit posting... come play

MrBig

Havok said:
Well it does show all 16 players while in the pre-game MM lobby, its just the customs lobby that doesn't because of the extra tab at the top.
Reach has one of the damn best functional UIs I have ever layed eyes on, and I have seen many technical articles trying to dissect its success and display of information.

Havok

MrBig said:
Well it does show all 16 players while in the pre-game MM lobby, its just the customs lobby that doesn't because of the extra tab at the top.
Reach has one of the damn best functional UIs I have ever layed eyes on, and I have seen many technical articles trying to dissect its success and display of information.
It shows all 16, but if you tab over to see who is in a party with who, parties of eight will cut off the last member. It's just a weird oversight that is glaring in an otherwise awesome UI. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay all the stuff that it does right.

wwm0nkey

Hmmm just saw a commercial for it but it appears Robot Chicken (which is somehow still going) is making another Halo skit for their new season.

wwm0nkey said:
Hmmm just saw a commercial for it but it appears Robot Chicken (which is somehow still going) is making another Halo skit for their new season.
I don't religiously watch the show and just catch it when I come across it on cable but it consistently cracks me up. Their Third Star Wars episode was hilarious.

heckfu

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I don't religiously watch the show and just catch it when I come across it on cable but it consistently cracks me up. Their Third Star Wars episode was hilarious.

as far as star wars parodies go, RC does an awesome job, but I think the first two family guy ones were incredible. Not so much the third one, though...

reggie said:
In the cases where people purposefully contested the game for infinity, yeah that was shit, but in every other situation Halo 2's system was the best, still is the best, and is still the only way to do sudden death.

It's a shame a few assholes had the ruin it.
I definitely liked Halo 2's system the best. There were only a couple of ways to really abuse the system, and only a fraction of teams that would actually do it. Other than that, it was awesome. Sadly, I'm sure there were several people on gaf that would toss the bomb on midship. "Oh we were just doing it for the lulz and because the game lets you do it... WHAT??? It's not my fault the game let's me be a complete douchebag." pfffffftttt

Kuroyume

Banned
For every game where people exploited the system in some way I probably had like a hundred where it worked well and made the game fun as hell. Halo objective will never be as good as it was unless 343 models the next game after the settings in Halo 2.

- Flag throwing/juggling
- Arming mechanic (no instant arm bullshit)
- Sudden death

Yeah, more games should use an UI like Reach. Absolutely amazing. I started playing Crysis 2 afterwards, and the menu looks clunky, uninspired and incomplete by comparison.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, more games should use an UI like Reach. Absolutely amazing. I started playing Crysis 2 afterwards, and the menu looks clunky, uninspired and incomplete by comparison.

Yeah, everything works really fluently, no loading times to go from the main menu to matchmaking etc. Gears of War 3 also has a prety nice UI.

TheOddOne

Blue Ninja said:
I like it because it's independent of the XBL interface, no hassling around between them.

Blue Ninja said:
The whole game is shitty. And the soundtrack... god dammit, which idiots are thinking that Hans Zimmer is a good composer? He just copy and paste the whole stuff over and over again. I'm happy that I haven't paid the full price for Crysis 2. Unfortunately I bought Crysis 1 without clue. Shouldn't do that...

Hypertrooper said:
The whole game is shitty. And the soundtrack... god dammit, which idiots are thinking that Hans Zimmer is a good composer? He just copy and paste the whole stuff over and over again. I'm happy that I haven't paid the full price for Crysis 2. Unfortunately I bought Crysis 1 without clue. Shouldn't do that...
To each his own. I think the game is great, even though the story is shitty. Hans Zimmer only composed the game's main theme, the rest was composed by other people. I paid full price for it, and I'm glad I did.

I bought Crysis 1 for both PC and 360. It's awesome.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
For every game where people exploited the system in some way I probably had like a hundred where it worked well and made the game fun as hell. Halo objective will never be as good as it was unless 343 models the next game after the settings in Halo 2.

- Flag throwing/juggling
- Arming mechanic (no instant arm bullshit)
- Sudden death
Yeah, for all the things mentioned earlier, re: sudden death and objective contesting being all but forgotten in Halo 3 and Reach, it's those details in game modes that made things like 1-flag on Turf, or 1-bomb on Ivory Tower work so well.

In Halo 3, they had no variations for a One Flag or One Bomb game (until WAY late; even after Ranked Objective and BTB were gone, lolwat). It was the same for One Flag on High Ground as it was on Sandtrap. Multi-CTF had the same settings in Valhalla as it did in a small map like Narrows. Where did One Flag Fast go, same question for One Bomb Fast? Those settings in H2 were finely detailed for the quicker return times. CTF Classic was all but absent. The objective gametypes were absurd in H3, terrible.

In Reach, they tried remedying this by using the Pro variants, and they turn into grenade and melee fests. Yeah, the quicker returns are nice, but it also enables different weapon setups, thus making it play completely different. Better than nothing, but still not quite the same.

Oh, and instant arm assault has to be one of the five worst additions to the series. Awful. H2's assault was the most intense stuff I've played without a doubt. Sticky arming and the map setups - it's a glorious thing.

Why don't they make ZB DMR and AR starts, Magnum is such a joke?

I really hope 343 is listening to all the helpful feedback regarding the TU changes, they really need to cap Magnum's rof, decrease the ammount of damage received to knock you out of AL and fix the bleedthrought bug.

Striker said:
H2's assault was the most intense stuff I've played without a doubt. Sticky arming and the map setups - it's a glorious thing.
What's sticky arming?

How to fix Spire step by step:

-Remove both Falcons.
-Replace neutral Banshee with a Falcon.
-Add moongooses to both bases and around the river zone.
-Replace FRG with a Plasma Launcher.
Add soft kill zone to the upper zone of the Spire (only for non invasion gametypes).
-Increase sniper spawn time to 150.

Regarding objective placement they obviously need to be fixed but I can't think of anything right now, any suggestion GAF?

As for Zealot and Countdown, replace both versions with MLG's actual weapon layout.

Edit: sorry for DP.

Hmm, you know, I never really got "into" the datapads. I've found 4 of them I think, but not because I sought them out, just came across them when exploring.

Are they particularly interesting? Is FUD the best place to break them to down? Or should I just read the text because FUD hasn't finished Part 3 yet?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Zeouterlimits said:
Hmm, you know, I never really got "into" the datapads. I've found 4 of them I think, but not because I sought them out, just came across them when exploring.

Are they particularly interesting? Is FUD the best place to break them to down? Or should I just read the text because FUD hasn't finished Part 3 yet?

Part 3 should be hitting in the next week or so. I'm actually working on Part 3 right now.

I'd say you should read a few of them then decide if you want a condensed summary, ala Halopedia, a detail run through of each on FUD or just read them individually yourself.

They are best read in order though. Bear that in Mind.

Also, they rival Halo 3's Terminals in terms of scope - it's funny because they introduce so much and some it is contradictory to established canon.

Top Bottom