• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
I wonder if they could use megalo to make Halo CE assault. It used flags instead of bombs. It was backwards ctf.

We could do this ourselves if the flag cap and flag spawns were separate objects instead of a single one. Should be doable in theory.

re: playlists. It must be remembered that Bungie had statistics showing that even objective coming up as an option drops population.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
I wouldn't go with the HD pack, but I would like to see separate MP/SP discs to avoid texture compression; more audio, and more content over all. I'd also like to see better use of streaming technology used to make better and bigger areas.
Well if they can make the game look better by streaming textures from the HDD I would like a HD texture pack, obviously i am not sure if BLAM! supports that like Frostbite2 does.

FyreWulff said:
We could do this ourselves if the flag cap and flag spawns were separate objects instead of a single one. Should be doable in theory.

re: playlists. It must be remembered that Bungie had statistics showing that even objective coming up as an option drops population.
Exactly, it's not my fault if no one likes objective, it was Bungie's bad implementation of the cR system which actually rewards players who don't go for the objective.

I think I will bring this back:

doing_it_wrong.jpg

This what most players have in mind each time a CTF/Assault variant on Hemmorhage shows up, pretty sad eh?

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Well if they can make the game look better by streaming textures from the HDD I would like a HD texture pack, obviously i am not sure if BLAM! supports that like Frostbite2 does.
I meant that as in a separate texture pack. There would have to be a shared cache on the HDD no matter what because of the way the engine calls assets.

FyreWulff

Objective has been historically unpopular since Halo 2 - no amount of cR is going to fix that.

The vast majority of the playerbase just wants to shoot things that make their reticule go red, and not think about anything else.

FyreWulff said:
Objective has been historically unpopular since Halo 2 - no amount of cR is going to fix that.

The vast majority of the playerbase just wants to shoot things that make their reticule go red, and not think about anything else.

For those of us that are actually sane, and like both (not sure how someone could just like slayer, but that's just me), something like an Anniversary playlist needs to have both. I shouldn't have to go playlist hopping in order to play a few different gametypes.

At a certain point, there has to be a playlist or two for people like this. It may drop the population of that playlist, but you have a portion of the population (probably smaller than I'd like to admit) that actually wants to play a variety of good* gametypes.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
For those of us that are actually sane, and like both (not sure how someone could just like slayer, but that's just me), something like an Anniversary playlist needs to have both. I shouldn't have to go playlist hopping in order to play a few different gametypes.

At a certain point, there has to be a playlist or two for people like this. It may drop the population of that playlist, but you have a portion of the population (probably smaller than I'd like to admit) that actually wants to play a variety of good* gametypes.

Judging by Team Classic's population before, I'm assuming it's going to start off as a Slayer/Objective mix playlist. It was started as a Slayer only playlist to get maximum population. There'd be no point to trying that experiment again.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Judging by Team Classic's population before, I'm assuming it's going to start off as a Slayer/Objective mix playlist. It was started as a Slayer only playlist to get maximum population. There'd be no point to trying that experiment again.

If it does it's a failure from the start. I loved the old Team classic when it was team slayer then they put objectives in and I left. I wasn't alone.

PsychoRaven said:
If it does it's a failure from the start. I loved the old Team classic when it was team slayer then they put objectives in and I left. I wasn't alone.

Wat?

Those were the best objective settings in Reach matchmaking.

Hey You

Kuroyume said:
How long does it take for a new game to show up on Microsoft's game downloading thing on Xbox live?
I know its not (or won't be) right at launch but I'm guessing when the Publisher and MS want to put it up?

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
That was when Classic finally became decent. People are crazy.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think they ruined objective with the settings they have in place for Reach. Armor abilities let the opposing team catch up to the flag too easily. It also makes defending things a hassle when you have the gameplay slowing to a crawl while waiting for someone to come out of Armor Lock or facing guys that are rolling in all directions. Not being able to toss the flag also makes it more difficult to capture it on your own like in the previous games. Capturing and tossing a flag across a map on your own was one of the most intense things in the previous games and that's no longer the case. They got rid of one of Halo's strongest points because of the nuisance of hearing the announce repeat himself? Really? It's one of the most baffling and dumbest decisions they made with this game. Then you have thosr nuclear grenades which makes it feel like you spend more time in the spawn menu than playing the game. It's weird how much I have a problem with them now compared to the beta where they were stronger and yet I liked them there.

doing_it_wrong.jpg

This what most players have in mind each time a CTF/Assault variant on Hemmorhage shows up, pretty sad eh?

That happens like in nearly all the maps. Camping for sniper isn't something that's exclusive to Hemmorhage. Anyway, I can't blame them for doing that. I sometimes feel like not moving across the map because of the vehicles. The revenant (or whatever it's called) ruins that map. So annoying. Get rid of it and it would make movement a bit better than what it is.

senador

Banned
Dax01 said:
After playing 85% and ZB, going back to regular bloom is infuriating. Argh.

For me, its been fine. I'm able to jump around and play about the same. I actually do better with bloom. :/ I'm pretty sure I prefer 85%. I might be crazy, but I am starting to agree with Tashi. Bloom adds a certain rhythm to the game that I like. I think 85% just makes it smoother.

Zero bloom seems like it'll be best in the Anniversary playlist with the pistol primary and other weapons removed (in my opinion and for me of course).

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
Yes people are crazy because they have different tastes. I'll be sure to remember that in the future.
Oh, come on, you know that's not what I'm getting at. It's just a little bit over the top to say that adding objectives to a playlist that still featured very popular Slayer variants (that were voted for the majority of the time they showed up, which was often) was what ruined it.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
Oh, come on, you know that's not what I'm getting at. It's just a little bit over the top to say that adding objectives to a playlist that still featured very popular Slayer variants (that were voted for the majority of the time they showed up, which was often) was what ruined it.

For those that don't like Objective it did. Some people just want to play slayer. That's it. They don't want to play Swat, oddball, ctf, one bomb, etc. So why go into a list that has all of that when I can go into regular team slayer that has nothing but slayer, slayer pro, slayer dmrs, elite slayer? Same with the other side. There are those that want to play nothing but Objective gametypes. So why should they bother taking a chance getting stuck with slayer when they have playlists that are nothing but objective?

The facts back that up too. The population has gone down a good amount when objectives were added to slayer only playlists.

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
For those that don't like Objective it did. Some people just want to play slayer. That's it. They don't want to play Swat, oddball, ctf, one bomb, etc. So why go into a list that has all of that when I can go into regular team slayer that has nothing but slayer, slayer pro, slayer dmrs, elite slayer? Same with the other side. There are those that want to play nothing but Objective gametypes. So why should they bother taking a chance getting stuck with slayer when they have playlists that are nothing but objective?
I think the key difference for me is that (anectodally) Slayer is much more likely to be voted for when it shows up, which it did with a high degree of regularity. Team Rifles used to show up once every two games, and the other time there was usually the AR start variant. They had two camps to satisfy (yours undeniably the larger), and while it may have put a certain portion of the population off (which I totally understand), they couldn't have spun it off into something separate.

My original statement was hyperbolic, I'll admit that. Blame that on posting after birthday drinks.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
I think the key difference for me is that (anectodally) Slayer is much more likely to be voted for when it shows up, which it did with a high degree of regularity. Team Rifles used to show up once every two games, and the other time there was usually the AR start variant. They had two camps to satisfy (yours undeniably the larger), and while it may have put a certain portion of the population off (which I totally understand), they couldn't have spun it off into something separate.

My original statement was hyperbolic, I'll admit that. Blame that on posting after birthday drinks.

It's all good. I was just being a sarcastic ass. I tend to be at times. And see I had the opposite for me. I ended up with objective gametypes. That's why I went back to team slayer. I knew I was going to get slayer and nothing but slayer there were as in the revamped classic I kept getting objective gametypes probably 8 out of 10 times.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Havok said:
Pshhh, you're one of the more reasonable people here. Birthday drunkposts are allowed.

Customs tonight?

Edit: did 343 removed Invasion on Breakpoint from Premium Battle, it was the only place I was able to enjoy it and now it never shows up :(

Gabotron ES said:
Customs tonight?

Edit: did 343 removed Invasion on Breakpoint from Premium Battle, it was the only place I was able to enjoy it and now it never shows up :(
I'm pretty sure it's still in, although it is pretty rare.

Dax01 said:
After playing 85% and ZB, going back to regular bloom is infuriating. Argh.

I wouldn't be opposed to 85% being made standard across all of the playlists with the caveat that no bleed through remains in. Bleed through feels messy to me in Reach (feedback loop as said by others here). Add the AA changes (minimal though they are) to vanilla as well. Keep sword blocking in if sprint coexists beside it.

CEA can't come soon enough - Reach could really do with the shakeup it will bring, the population boost more than anything, Gears 3 et al have hit Reach quite hard but I'm sure it'll perk back up (note - I'm referring mainly to the euro time zone population).

omg.kittens said:
I'm down.

Edit: Oops, I meant to reply to Gabo about customs. I'm down for that.
Sweet, I'll try to be online in about two or three hours.
If more people decide to get on earlier I'll join them so we can play Invasion on Highlands till our hands bleed. jk

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm pretty sure it's still in, although it is pretty rare.
That's sad, hope 343 gets the job done regarding DLC integration, they seem to be looking into it as right now it's a bad joke.

343, please remove normal Zealot from matchmaking or fix the the spawns on it. There apperently is a fault that the enemy team can stay in the bottem base and you keep spawning in bottem base too. Pretty map breaking IMO since that variant us still in objectives on Zealot.

I'll try to ad a clip after this game.

Tha Robbertster said:
343, please remove normal Zealot from matchmaking or fix the the spawns on it. There apperently is a fault that the enemy team can stay in the bottem base and you keep spawning in bottem base too. Pretty map breaking IMO since that variant us still in objectives on Zealot.

Okay. Spawn camping can happen on nearly every Reach's map. One of the biggest problem besides the GRENADEZ!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tha Robbertster said:

Just drop in MLG Zealot and forget the stock version ever existed.

Tha Robbertster said:

No need, I saw juices and co on his stream doing it live a few weeks ago :lol

It's beyond simple spawn camping Hyper, it's like there's only one spawn point on the map and the opponent is standing behind it.

thee henery said:

It's beyond simple spawn camping Hyper, it's like there's only one spawn point on the map and the opponent is standing behind it.
Yeah, this! Really strange that this can stay in for more then one year.

thee henery said:

Is it like that?

Not sure If I join customs, I want that weekly!

MrBig said:
http://www.abload.de/img/halogafcustomsduji.jpg[IMG]
[B]Tonight at 8pm (GMT -5; 2.5 hours from now)[/B]

I'd like to do some mini-game, non-serious stuff[/QUOTE]
That's one heck of an awesome banner, good sir.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Appreciate folks carrying the HaloGAF Customs banner (literally) in my absence these past few weeks. Sweetness.

Think I'll do something special for the first CEA HaloGAF Customs (and that should allow me to make a decent dent in my backlog between then and now).

StalkerUKCG said:
Halo 3 Starry night TV spot. Then some crappy song
No? Just a hommge of the Starry Night TV. And it isn't a crappy song, it is a crappy cover of it.

MrBig said:
http://www.abload.de/img/halogafcustomsduji.jpg[/MG]
[B]Tonight at 8pm (GMT -5; 2.5 hours from now)[/B]

I'd like to do some mini-game, non-serious stuff[/QUOTE]
Did you do the banner? It's nice. Unfortunately I won't have fun with Minigames. Maybe I'll join for two games, but I don't think I will stay any longer than that.

I hope 343i did a good job with the Anniversary Gametypes...

Top Bottom