• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok said:
But that flipping causes aim assist to freak out, making it even harder to hit with anything except the sniper. Going even further down the rabbit hole, balancing bad design (Banshee behavior) with bad design (anti-vehicle sniper and DMR spam) does not somehow equal out to become good design.
bad design balancing bad design is basically Reach.

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:
For the record, the Halo 3 thread was (mercifully) locked at about 106,000 posts. We bitched at each other for probably about 20,000 more in various other Halo threads until the Reach beta landed. But in terms of purely OT stuff, just 6,000 posts will clear it. And that thread was locked in August 2009 - nearly two years after Halo 3 came out. We'll clear that in less than one year from Reach's release.

0_o
there are a lot more people who make up HaloGAF now

ElRenoRaven

vhfive said:

Yup. I know I lurked for years before I ever posted at all here. I probably wasn't alone. 2005 join and first post was near end of Halo 3 gaf. so that was almost 4 years of lurking.

Blinding

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. I know I lurked for years before I ever posted at all here. I probably wasn't alone.

I waited a couple years to get activated. >>;;

And now I have to go back and look at EazyB's posts about the chopper.

-Yeti said:
Man, I give up on Devin's map. I can't even get past the stepping stone part. :( lol

I had the hardest time with the start, but once I got that down the rest was pretty easy, except for the mongoose driving after the stepping stone.

Devolution said:
WoW nerd talk. The Banshee is what's commonly referred to as a glass cannon. The damage dealt is way too strong but the banshee itself is way too delicate. Take off the lock on, tone down the bomb itself (or make it only anti-vehicles which would be nice), turn down the amount of flips and moves it can do in a given time frame, and buff up the banshee's health. Problem solved.

Yeah this would solve it...which is frustrating because that's the way it was in Halo 3. The opposite of evolution. Sigh. I miss balanced and fun vehicle combat.

Havok said:
Going even further down the rabbit hole, balancing bad design (Banshee behavior) with bad design (anti-vehicle sniper and DMR spam) does not somehow equal out to become good design.
That's why I use to call Reach a bastardized CoD :p

Devolution said:
WoW nerd talk. The Banshee is what's commonly referred to as a glass cannon. The damage dealt is way too strong but the banshee itself is way too delicate. Take off the lock on, tone down the bomb itself (or make it only anti-vehicles which would be nice), turn down the amount of flips and moves it can do in a given time frame, and buff up the banshee's health. Problem solved.

The main problem is how the flip works, imo.
In halo2/3 the banshee had a very slow and downward moving flip, exposing the driver to the risk of being hijacked.
In Reach the banshee flips upwards lol. I don't know who worked on the thing, but he never played Halo me thinks :p
edit. oh and it flips so fast that that one time you actually have the chance of hijacking it, you end up being killed by the impact XD

Tunavi said:
Okay so no fix for banshee in the TU confirmed.

Just take it out of the game, just like drop shield. Please.

DO NOT PUT IT ON HEADLONG
When I saw that leaked vid with the Banshee in it's old spot, there was a lot of shrinkage on my part, not gonna lie. :-(

GhaleonEB said:
I was on tambourine in the original CC group. This time around I'm rocking the cowbell. Six of them.
If you get tired of holding one, I've got hands to spare. :-b

edit: lol @Gui

Letters said:
I'm in a clinic meeting my awesome baby nephew who was born a few hours ago.

Room number?

"117"

Like a boss...

PAX memory #117:

HBO and GAF got priority seating for the Halo 4 panel. We all go up to the bottom edge of the balcony (best seats in the house IMO) and hang out there before the panel starts.

I notice my seat number is 115 and look at the seat two spots over. It reset after 116, and is seat 1.

So the respected HBO Community Veteran Miguel Chavez starts searching for seat 117 on the row behind us, his head at knee level. The number plate he is looking for is blocked by a pair of legs - Leviathan's girlfriend is sitting there. (The Leviathan that does Fistful of Arrows.)

It was an unintentionally hilarious picture: Miguel making a spreading gesture with his hands, silently asking Levi's gf to move her legs so he can see the 117 number plate on the seat edge. It looked... inappropriate. Especially with his head at that elevation.

Thankfully she quickly figured out what we were looking for, and we all congratulated her on sitting in seat 117. (She likes Halo, but I don't think she was as awed by the magical seat number as we were.)

----
Bregmann Roche said:
All of urk's posts since OT4 have been an ARG for Destiny. BELIurk.
WHAT? *adds to Destiny speculation wall*

flx07a.jpg

Bregmann Roche said:
Yeah this would solve it...which is frustrating because that's the way it was in Halo 3. The opposite of evolution. Sigh. I miss balanced and fun vehicle combat.

The banshee before couldn't nose dive as much either so it was harder to basically kill individuals with it (and was easier to board in this way too), which in turn forced it to be more of an anti-vehicle vehicle. I think in future games vehicles should be more anti-vehicle than all out killing machines of everything, at least in MM. It would make it much easier to run around in big teams on foot or maybe even spawn.

In halo2/3 the banshee had a very slow and downward moving flip, exposing the driver to the risk of being hijacked.
In Reach the banshee flips upwards lol. I don't know who worked on the thing, but he never played Halo me thinks :p

Hivemind! See above.

vhfive

Devin Olsen said:
Sorry, I didn't want to discourage anyone.

Thanks for trying though
I can consistently get to the last mongoose part but I can't past it :/

I decided to take a break and try again later.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
PAX memory #117:

HBO and GAF got priority seating for the Halo 4 panel. We all go up to the bottom edge of the balcony (best seats in the house IMO) and hang out there before the panel starts.

I notice my seat number is 115 and look at the seat two spots over. It reset after 116, and is seat 1.

So the respected HBO Community Veteran Miguel Chavez starts searching for seat 117 on the row behind us, his head at knee level. The number plate he is looking for is blocked by a pair of legs - Leviathan's girlfriend is sitting there. (The Leviathan that does Fistful of Arrows.)

It was an unintentionally hilarious picture: Miguel making a spreading gesture with his hands, silently asking Levi's gf to move her legs so he can see the 117 number plate on the seat edge. It looked... inappropriate. Especially with his head at that elevation.

Thankfully she quickly figured out what we were looking for, and we all congratulated her on sitting in seat 117. (She likes Halo, but I don't think she was as awed by the magical seat number as we were.)

----

WHAT? *adds to Destiny speculation wall*

http://i54.tinypic.com/flx07a.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO. OMG see I love stories like that. They just crack me up. I can so picture the look on her face during all this and hell the look on Leviathan's face when Miguel was making the gesture to her.

stephen08

So I'm of a split mind with this TU. On the one hand I really like that they are making some of the more controversial changes mad in Reach adjustable. But I think that a lot of thought is going to need to be made with other weapons in the sandbox now. I played a game of 4v4 Anniversary Slayer at PAX and that Pistol is just ridiculous. I ended up going 29 - 4 or something just using that pistol. At one point I picked up a shotgun and shot a guy fairly close range and it didn't even drop his shield. Basically, the only weapons I'd ever use are Magnum, Rocket Launcher, and Sniper. Nothing else is worth it.

I should also note that strangely the movement properties didn't feel adjusted from default. I suppose that it's an easy enough fix as that functionality already exists. Just a curious omission. Grenades seemed like they took quite a nerf though. Couple that with no sword block, and Armor Lock getting nerfed and I eagerly anticipate this TU.

I was having a hard time telling when I was playing but how does bloom work with the DMR in bloomless gametypes? Because a couple times it felt like the shot would fall in the outer circle and not the innermost one. Or was I just imagining that?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
For the record, the Halo 3 thread was (mercifully) locked at about 106,000 posts. We bitched at each other for probably about 20,000 more in various other Halo threads until the Reach beta landed. But in terms of purely OT stuff, just 6,000 posts will clear it. And that thread was locked in August 2009 - nearly two years after Halo 3 came out. We'll clear that in less than one year from Reach's release.

0_o
Yeah, even with the "new thread for new news" policy, the Reach OT is massive.

I wonder why. Is it something unique to Reach, or just unique to the current composition of HaloGAF, or...?

I personally post here a lot more than I ever did in the past Halo threads. I think it's cause I like the people better, and that I've realized I don't have to be amazing at Halo to play with HaloGAF (this should have been evident to me a long time ago, haha).

Devolution said:
Oh god last day of guilt free Halo =O.
Starting school?

i nerini del buio said:
edit. oh and it flips so fast that that one time you actually have the chance of hijacking it, you end up being killed by the impact XD

The flip is only part of the problem. They made players slower and weaker but they didn't scale back the Banshee bomb at all. They made it stronger. WHY WAS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

The most fun I had in a Banshee was going on a crazy splatter spree with it (usually ended in getting stuck) but why even attempt that in Reach? Armor Lock makes splatters stupid and why would you try to splatter a group of spartans when you could just kill them all with a bomb? Awful. Not fun. Not strategic. Not balanced. Garbage. Cue youknowwhat.gif.

Zeouterlimits said:
My mind is currently blank. Was the Halo 3 banshee a problem?
I don't remember it being so. Attractive even with the SL.

Nope, it was very well balanced like every other vehicle in the game. Ok Maybe the hog needed a overheating turret.

stephen08 said:
So I'm of a split mind with this TU. On the one hand I really like that they are making some of the more controversial changes mad in Reach adjustable. But I think that a lot of thought is going to need to be made with other weapons in the sandbox now. I played a game of 4v4 Anniversary Slayer at PAX and that Pistol is just ridiculous. I ended up going 29 - 4 or something just using that pistol. At one point I picked up a shotgun and shot a guy fairly close range and it didn't even drop his shield. Basically, the only weapons I'd ever use are Magnum, Rocket Launcher, and Sniper. Nothing else is worth it.

I should also note that strangely the movement properties didn't feel adjusted from default. I suppose that it's an easy enough fix as that functionality already exists. Just a curious omission. Grenades seemed like they took quite a nerf though. Couple that with no sword block, and Armor Lock getting nerfed and I eagerly anticipate this TU.

I was having a hard time telling when I was playing but how does bloom work with the DMR in bloomless gametypes? Because a couple times it felt like the shot would fall in the outer circle and not the innermost one. Or was I just imagining that?
I didn't play it, but it makes sense to me that the outer ring is what matters

Bregmann Roche said:
All of urk's posts since OT4 have been an ARG for Destiny. BELIurk.

This made me laugh too much, Belly Urk.

Im in a photoshop mood, going to make a late halofest halo celebration wallpaper ill post it if it turns out good.

Do we have confirmation that the classic++ gametypes have altered run speed jump hight?

Edit: can i get a link to devin's map?

FyreWulff said:
Also for the record, Urk responded to my email and said they're decoupling the Reach API from Bungie Pro.

so will everyone now have access to it? :D

Also 5 pages already wtf, you guys fill up threads quick!

|OT| 6... Whoa, people till play Halo?
Has anyone posted that yet :p
And less than two hours old we're on page three. Damn you folks post a lot!
Regarding Headlong: Leave in the Gauss hog and the banshee might not be too bad. Nah, it'd probably be better to just nix it all together.

senador

Banned
stephen08 said:

Interesting.

I am hoping for something like these game types or playlists initially:

Anniversary Slayer
-Classic movement
-Classic weapons and placement
-CE Pistol (3 shot)
-No AAs

Limited No Bloom Slayer
-DMR Start
-DMR and Reach Pistol still 5 shot but no bloom
-No AAs
-Reach weapons set
-Quicker movement but maybe not as fast as Anniversary Slayer

Then later on, maybe roll more changes out across the board. If the AAs are being tweaked they could be fun to play with.

There are so many possibilities. I wonder how its going to work out. I hope 343 has a good plan.

stephen08

I think reducing bonus time for Camo, and the adjustments made to Armor Lock are enough to balance those back in to the fold. Everything else seems like it is well suited already (though maybe evade should be 1 jump with a shorter cooldown).

stephen08 said:
I think reducing bonus time for Camo, and the adjustments made to Armor Lock are enough to balance those back in to the fold. Everything else seems like it is well suited already (though maybe evade should be 1 jump with a shorter cooldown).
After listening to the PAX panel and hearing some of the comments made here from Frankie and David Ellis, I'd be surprised if there were any more 'big' changes to the TU that we don't already know about (I'd love to be wrong). For things like the Banshee and Evade, I hope for now there can be a heavier hand in playlist management in terms of loadouts being more complimentary to their gametype and map. The Banshee is a separate problem, though. Maybe no respawn?

senador said:
Evade should just be flat removed from all Spartan load outs.
for all competitive gametypes besides MLG, absolutely.

senador

Banned
stephen08 said:

Sprint probably needs a tweak like a shorter burst and weapon use delay on exit, and Jet Pack does for sure. Jet Packs can fly way too high too often. Hopefully they have something planned, and if not just don't fix the bug others spoke of. :p

senador said:
Sprint probably needs a tweak like a shorter burst and weapon use delay on exit, and Jet Pack does for sure. Jet Packs can fly way too high too often. Hopefully they have something planned, and if not just don't fix the bug others spoke of. :p

It seems like there is already weapon delay, what it needs is melee delay

i nerini del buio said:
nope, it just doesn't come up
thing is, in MW2 (and BLOPS too) you actually get to play on the maps you bought (and quite often too!), either because they have a better implementation or because the game has like 4x the halo population

thezerofire said:
And they all buy the DLC.

I would be rather curious as to what percentage of players of each franchise buy the DLC.

Or whether the COD matchmaking implementation is just plain better at matching up people with the maps. Granted, drop in/out helps significantly.

thezerofire said:
It seems like there is already weapon delay, what it needs is melee delay
That 3-hit melee sounds pretty sweet to me. Maybe that can quickly become a across-the-board change after the TU hits.

stephen08

We will just have to agree to disagree then. I pretty much never use Jetpack and I certainly don't feel it's overpowered to the same degree Camo and Evade were.

Gonna throw a party the day bloom is officially gone in certain parts of Reach. Nothing like a mechanic that makes shitty hosts shittier to play on.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
True, NeoGAF has grown and HaloGAF keeps growing with it. This post got me curious, so I checked. I copied the lists of who posted from Halo 3's thread and the combined list of all the posters in the five previous Reach OTs. I tossed them in Excel and did some crunching (I do this sort of thing for pretty much anything that can be tossed in a spreadsheet). The results surprised me.

Code:
             Reach       Halo 3

Posters      1,614 	 1,880 
<11 Posts    1,042 	 1,252 
11+ Posts    572 	 628 
Over 100     172 	 165 
Top 20       34%	 36%

Posts	   100,187 	 106,172 
Top 20	   33,912 	 37,980

We had more total posters in the Halo 3 thread than in the 1-5 Reach OT's combined. However, Reach's posters are a bit more active; Halo 3 had ~200 more that posted 10 or less times, and Reach's OT's have been marginally less top-heavy (2% fewer posts from the top 20 posters). But we only have 7 more posters that topped 100 posts across all OT's.

We're a lot more active, but not much bigger than before. (I wonder if that's true for Reach's player base as well.)

This concludes this episode of Meta-HaloGAF. Check back near the start of OT7 for the next installment.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
senador said:

I just played MLG for the first time ever last night (lol), and I was pleasantly suprised to see that you couldn't use Sprint immediately on respawn. If 343 implemented that across all playlists it would improve the situation a little.

PS: I'm shocked and appalled at how many HaloGAFers I see in the MW3 thread. Heresy!

On Reach OT activity:

I think we post more because we play less. How many times has one of us stopped playing Reach due to some issue with the way the game was designed and then come on here to complain about it?

thezerofire said:
Jetpacks almost seem like the compromise for limiting jump height. I would rather be able to jump and not fly though.

And I would rather be able to strafe and not evade. Have my shield/health recharge and not armor lock. Have faster movement speed and not sprint. Have shadow puppets and not Hologram...ah crap it sort of breaks down at that point. But you get the idea: I agree with you completely.

GhaleonEB said:
True, NeoGAF has grown and HaloGAF keeps growing with it. This post got me curious, so I checked. I copied the lists of who posted from Halo 3's thread and the combined list of all the posters in the five previous Reach OTs. I tossed them in Excel and did some crunching (I do this sort of thing for pretty much anything that can be tossed in a spreadsheet). The results surprised me.

Code:
             Reach       Halo 3

Posters      1,614 	 1,880 
<11 Posts    1,042 	 1,252 
11+ Posts    572 	 628 
Over 100     172 	 165 
Top 20       34%	 36%

Posts	   100,187 	 106,172 
Top 20	   33,912 	 37,980

We had more total posters in the Halo 3 thread than in the 1-5 Reach OT's combined. However, Reach's posters are a bit more active; Halo 3 had ~200 more that posted 10 or less times, and Reach's OT's have been marginally less top-heavy (2% fewer posts from the top 20 posters). But we only have 7 more posters that topped 100 posts across all OT's.

We're a touch more active, but not much bigger than before. (I wonder if that's true for Reach's player base as well.)

This concludes this episode of Meta-HaloGAF. Check back near the start of OT7 for the next installment.

Is it fair to say that we are more active because we now complain more. :p

squidhands said:
That 3-hit melee sounds pretty sweet to me. Maybe that can quickly become a across-the-board change after the TU hits.
They have said that if elements from the TU are popular and work well they can be rolled out across the board. I think there is a very good chance this will happen with the three melee kill. It was a great feeling at halofest when a kid sprinted up to me and I didn't die after his second melee. He seemed pretty dumbfounded by the experience haha.

Kind of wish that the jetpack was more akin to UT's Jump Boots. The semi-hovering that the jetpack is capable of is aggravating as hell.

Bregmann Roche said:
On Reach OT activity:

I think we post more because we play less. How many times has one of us stopped playing Reach due to some issue with the way the game was designed and then come on here to complain about it?

And I would rather be able to strafe and not evade. Have my shield/health recharge and not armor lock. Have faster movement speed and not sprint. Have shadow puppets and not Hologram...ah crap it sort of breaks down at that point. But you get the idea: I agree with you completely.
Hey, leave Hologram out of this! I've suffered plenty of AL bullshit to have the awsomeness that is Hologram brought into this game. I do a mini-happy dance when I see someone fooled by it.

Captain Blood said:
They have said that if elements from the TU are popular and work well they can be rolled out across the board. I think there is a very good chance this will happen with the three melee kill. It was a great feeling at halofest when a kid sprinted up to me and I didn't die after his second melee. His seemed pretty dumbfounded by the experience haha.
Awesome, can't wait to experience that myself. Unfortunately the TU will hit right about the time I get to have surgery, so I'll be out of the loop for quite a while. :-(

GhaleonEB said:

We're a touch more active, but not much bigger than before. (I wonder if that's true for Reach's player base as well.)

Sweet number crunching. Moar!

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh god any time I see a number with more than 2 digits I get a headache ;p

~Hooray for OT6~! I think I'll try to be a little more active in discussion this time around!

Top Bottom