• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

My wrap up post was better than what came before, at least.

Also, the basic player movement - acceleration, momentum - feels sluggish. This can be addressed without impacting player speed - see ODST as a reference. That game felt distinctly Halo, despite similar jump height and movement speed to Reach. Frankly, Reach's basic gameplay just isn't very fun; just running around and jumping used to be a joy in Halo. It's not in Reach.

This is still true. And it affects the gameplay significantly.

Devolution said:
I'll be cynical as hell and honest, Reach felt to me like a grab at CoD's gamers and suffered for it. The community got worse, quitters are everywhere and instead of everyone starting out on the same foot which is what makes Halo great, we have loadouts.

Fail all around in that regard.
They turned the Golden Triangle into a box, then tried to cram it back in the triangle hole.

GhaleonEB said:
My wrap up post was better than what came before, at least.

This is still true. And it affects the gameplay significantly.
Do you still play with the Recon setup?

Gui_PT

Sai, I found a new Gaga image for you to use:
enhanced-buzz-3506-1306469581-12.jpg

I can't seem to find any posts where I had an impression of Reach. Odd. I guess I let everyone else do the talking for me. Kudos if anyone can find some impressions I posted, because google was not my friend.

Letters said:
Wow, reading that beta thread is so hilarious and cringe worthy.
We should all quote our first impressions post:

squidhands said:
Wow, this thread is moving insanely fast. Gonna have to leave feedback and then backtrack to catch up. Thank god all the "I need a code" talk is done.

I certainly do. DMR seems kind of underpowered at the moment, but it takes me a lot longer to get into a stride with weapons than it does with most folks.

But I do have to say, that as a former Bumper Jumper junkie, the new default layout works much better for me that the Reach BJ equivalent.

A lot of the games we played last night had people on the other team quit out. Jesus, already with the quitting?

First game of 1 Flag on Sword base was ridiculously easy. Offense goes Sprint or Jetpack and we scored pretty quickly. Defense was most of us using Armor Lock and hung out next to the flag. It was waay to easy and I was really surprised at how islolated the flag was.

I will from now on be calling [the Focus Rifle] the Face Melter. :D
lol, in-depth, as always.

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
Sai, I found a new Gaga image for you to use:
http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2011/5/27/0/enhanced-buzz-3506-1306469581-12.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Good god I thought she couldn't get any scarier. She looks like she's about to eat Cartman.

Karl2177

Things seemed different in the beta than they did in the final game. Personally, I loved the beta, and couldn't get enough Covie Slayer, Invasion, and CTF. Now I can't stand the way Covie Slayer plays, Invasion feels borked, and CTF has awkward flag spawns.

I also think it's great how we all have what we think makes Halo, Halo. It's really different for all of us, but there's an inherent fun that is the same for everyone. That's pretty cool in my book.

wwm0nkey

Karl2177 said:
Things seemed different in the beta than they did in the final game. Personally, I loved the beta, and couldn't get enough Covie Slayer, Invasion, and CTF. Now I can't stand the way Covie Slayer plays, Invasion feels borked, and CTF has awkward flag spawns.

I also think it's great how we all have what we think makes Halo, Halo. It's really different for all of us, but there's an inherent fun that is the same for everyone. That's pretty cool in my book.
it was more of they hype of things as to why we loved it.

I remember thinking Halo: Reach was the best thing ever for a good month.

Karl2177 said:

Actually there are some things we all have been agreeing on more than ever lately, like better movement, being able to strafe, no bloom (except for some special individuals), and AAs either being pickups or stripped completely from certain gametypes.

Like I said play enough of something and the cracks start to show. Plus we were playing before certain combinations of weps + AAs and general exploitive fuckery didn't rear its ugly head yet.

vhfive

Devolution said:
Actually there are some things we all have been agreeing on more than ever lately, like better movement, being able to strafe, no bloom (except for some special individuals), and AAs either being pickups or stripped completely from certain gametypes.

Like I said play enough of something and the cracks start to show. Plus we were playing before certain combinations of weps + AAs and general exploitive fuckery didn't rear its ugly head yet.
not true
I distinctly remember destrroying people over and over with sprint + hammer.

vhfive said:
not true
I distinctly remember destrroying people over and over with sprint + hammer.

I don't really mind sprint as much with CQC weps anymore now that I've felt the pain that is evade plus those things.

neoism

Also, the basic player movement - acceleration, momentum - feels sluggish. This can be addressed without impacting player speed - see ODST as a reference. That game felt distinctly Halo, despite similar jump height and movement speed to Reach. Frankly, Reach's basic gameplay just isn't very fun; just running around and jumping used to be a joy in Halo. It's not in Reach.
sucks most people like to be on skates.. the inertia system in REACH is wonderful I think I'm the only one the loves it.I could use a little boost in jump height but still. I really hope its in 4 in some from.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hated the beta at first. AAs were fun, but clearly broken in some aspects (lol, some). And the new default button layout caused me to rage hard during my first 10+ games. The pistol reticle was damn near invisible, too, which pissed me off cause it was supposed to be the glorious return of a useful pistol.

On a related note, I have a buddy who to this day is pissed that Overlook isn't in Competitive multiplayer. :lol

neoism said:
sucks most people like to be on skates.
Halo on Ice. Who needs novels for the extended fiction. Frankie, make it happen.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
sucks most people like to be on skates.. the inertia system in REACH is wonderful I think I'm the only one the loves it.I could use a little boost in jump height but still. I really hope its in 4 in some from.
I loved feeling agile, being able to strafe and have it matter, being able to rapidly change directions to avoid grenades. Reach feels like I have a ball and chain around my ankle.

vhfive

neoism said:
n1wcbq.gif

neoism said:

Ice skates? No. Being able to actually move out of the way of shit without an AA? Yes. You don't have to use hyperbole.

GhaleonEB said:
I loved feeling agile, being able to strafe and have it matter, being able to rapidly change directions to avoid grenades. Reach feels like I have a ball and chain around my ankle.

Being unable to strafe plus the amount of auto aim in Reach honestly kills its competitive vibe. I don't even get why certain people thought bloom was a skill threshold. The real skill differential was being able to strafe and fire headshots, and they shat all over that in Reach.

senador

Banned
One thing I like about Reach's movement is the gravity. If super high floaty jumps return, I'd love for the gravity to be increased so I come down faster. That said, I would like Halo 4's movement/jump to be in between 2 and Reach. Faster than Reach but not as fast and high jumping as 2.

I really wish we could strafe. Less or no inertia next time around please. :(

orznge

Banned
neoism said:

Can you describe for us specifically which facets of the game you think would be harmed if the physics were changed to give the player more freedom of movement and raise the skill ceiling significantly?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheOddOne said:
Really bummed to see Ryan go, best of luck with your new studio though :)

On another note: Happy birthday Plywood, start reading more books.
I try to, got any recommendations?

Thanks for the b-day wishes everyone. Don't forget to have a good day yourself.

Woorloog

Banned
orznge said:
Can you describe for us specifically which facets of the game you think would be harmed if the physics were changed to give the player more freedom of movement and raise the skill ceiling significantly?
I have a feeling you've answered your own question...
EDIT i mean a lot of people probably think this is harmful.
CODs have low skill ceiling and look at how popular they're.

senador said:
One thing I like about Reach's movement is the gravity. If super high floaty jumps return, I'd love for the gravity to be increased so I come down faster. That said, I would like Halo 4's movement/jump to be in between 2 and Reach. Faster than Reach but not as fast and high jumping as 2.

This.

I actually want to feel like I'm a 2 ton space marine falling down. There needs to be a loud thud whenever a Spartan lands on the ground from a high place.

Woorloog said:
I have a feeling you've answered your own question...
EDIT i mean a lot of people probably think this is harmful.
CODs have low skill ceiling and look at how popular they're.

Thing is Halo was damn popular before Reach. It will remain popular regardless, but why make something that's at its core so different than the tried and true previous games. I would think anything new to the franchise should work within the confines of its original core, not alter it to a point where I'm playing a different game. I get that they don't want a stale game, but that's easily remedied with good maps and some added features, not scrapping what made the game great.

/soapbox

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
It's awful when people run into you. So damn random every time. They really blew it when it came to those physics.

senador said:

I've love to be able to strafe, and I'd love for aim acceleration to take a fucking hike (its not as bad in Reach as it is in H3, but it still should get out), but I also don't like the floaty jump at all. I'd like the jump to be a bit higher, but you should come down fast and hard from that jump.

Also, in relation, I'm a bit concerned that stuff like the CE Magnum in the TU is not going to be as awesome as is could be because of the combination of weak strafe in this game, along with auto aim, bullet magnetism, etc. all being too high.

Trasher said:
It's awful when people run into you. So damn random every time. They really blew it when it came to those physics.

Yeah it's funny how there is inertia on your sole movements but run into a team mate and you go several feet in a second.

Devolution said:
Yeah it's funny how there is inertia on your sole movements but run into a team mate and you go several feet in a second.
Happened to me on asylum last night, someone ran into me and pushed me around ring 2 into some nades, never been so happy/sarcasm

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Trasher said:
I got shoved off of Uncaged twice in one game a few days ago. I was jumping, and someone on my team sprinted into me (on accident), and launched me off, haha.

I was playing on Asylum and intentionally shoved this AFK guy off the ledge behind the shotgun tunnel. Except he wasn't totally AFK... Just kind of looking around without moving. He took one shot off on me before plummeting to his death. And, believe it or not, he was a guest! SMH.

orznge

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
I've love to be able to strafe, and I'd love for aim acceleration to take a fucking hike (its not as bad in Reach as it is in H3, but it still should get out), but I also don't like the floaty jump at all. I'd like the jump to be a bit higher, but you should come down fast and hard from that jump.

Also, in relation, I'm a bit concerned that stuff like the CE Magnum in the TU is not going to be as awesome as is could be because of the combination of weak strafe in this game, along with auto aim, bullet magnetism, etc. all being too high.

I swear I asked about this some pages ago but has 343 said anything about why the "CE pistol" in CEA has bloom, is hitscan, etc?

orznge said:
I swear I asked about this some pages ago but has 343 said anything about why the "CE pistol" in CEA has bloom, is hitscan, etc?

I believe I asked about the bloom and didn't receive and answer.

As for hitscan, the weapon is built off Reach's Magnum, so I don't know if its even possible to not make it hitscan. To be honest, the hitscan is not really a concern of mine for the weapon because in an online environment, hitscan (or almost instant bullet travel time) is usually much better.

I would really like to hear about that bloom in Anniversary gametypes though.

FyreWulff

orznge said:

Because it appears they opted to go for the intended functionality which was bloom for faster firing speed over the glitch that nullified bloom when you pulsed the trigger.

Secondly, they're just repurposing the Reach magnum so they're stuck with the near-instant bullet travel of the magnum in Reach, no separate bullet speed for CE:A mode that we've seen.

Also still has the Reach Magnum's clip size

FyreWulff said:
Because it appears they opted to go for the intended functionality which was bloom for faster firing speed over the glitch that nullified bloom when you pulsed the trigger.

Secondly, they're just repurposing the Reach magnum so they're stuck with the near-instant bullet travel of the magnum in Reach, no separate bullet speed for CE:A mode that we've seen.

Also still has the Reach Magnum's clip size

They said that they put the full accuracy with individual trigger pulls and spread when you hold it down in the "new CE Magnum".

I'm thinking that maybe when was seen and played with at PAX was not the final "CE Magnum" for the TU.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
They said that they put the full accuracy with individual trigger pulls and spread when you hold it down in the "new CE Magnum".

I'm thinking that maybe when was seen and played with at PAX was not the final "CE Magnum" for the TU.

Also, it automatically shoots when you hold down the trigger. Or is supposed to. I didn't play much H1P modes at Halofest.

FyreWulff said:
Also, it automatically shoots when you hold down the trigger. Or is supposed to. I didn't play much H1P modes at Halofest.

Yeah, and when you go automatic, you lose accuracy. When you don't, the weapon is perfectly accurate.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Woorloog

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
I believe I asked about the bloom and didn't receive and answer.

As for hitscan, the weapon is built off Reach's Magnum, so I don't know if its even possible to not make it hitscan. To be honest, the hitscan is not really a concern of mine for the weapon because in an online environment, hitscan (or almost instant bullet travel time) is usually much better.

I would really like to hear about that bloom in Anniversary gametypes though.
Swap the projectile, if Reach is any similar to previous Halos. Of course that would have some side effects... IIRC, damage is tied to the projectile. And only headshot capable projectile that is not hitscan in Reach is Nerfle's needle. Which is purple and bounces.
Nerfle pistol... that'd be cool actually...
Creation of a new projectile is NOT possible right? Just like they couldn't modify the magazine size.

BTW people, it's magazine, or mag for short. Not clip.
Sorry, calling a mag "clip" always bugs me. A lot.

neoism

I understand people miss and want strafing... but I use Sprint all the time, 99% of the time. Making the spartan have weight in Reach is just wonderful. I haven't played 3 in over a year but I have no trouble running away lol :p sucks most you guys don't like it.

Woorloog

Banned
neoism said:
I understand people miss and want strafing... but I use Sprint all the time, 99% of the time. Making the spartan have weight in Reach is just wonderful. I haven't played 3 in over a year but I have no trouble running away lol :p sucks most you guys don't like it.
That's one issue in Reach. Fighting should be THE choice, not running away. Retreating should be difficult, though if one manages to do that, they should be ready for a next fight.
And this is the biggest reason i hate sprint (and evade). Easy running should not be an option.

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, that's how it was working at PAX.

Good to know, but it also had a blooming reticle from the PAX footage I saw, which is what I am confused about.

Brain wave: Is it possible that 343 made it so when you go automatic, the bloom expands, but if you don't it doesn't expand at all? That actually makes sense when you think about it, I just hadn't thought of that before.

Ellis or Frankie, save us from this confusion please!

Woorloog said:
Swap the projectile, if Reach is any similar to previous Halos. Of course that would have some side effects... IIRC, damage is tied to the projectile. And only headshot capable projectile that is not hitscan in Reach is Nerfle's needle. Which is purple and bounces.
Nerfle pistol... that'd be cool actually...
Creation of a new projectile is NOT possible right? Just like they couldn't modify the magazine size.

BTW people, it's magazine, or mag for short. Not clip.
Sorry, calling a mag "clip" always bugs me. A lot.

I am assuming that the magazine size not changing has to do with UI changes being "out of the scope of this TU", because if you changed the magazine (I WANT TO CALL IT CLIP! LOL), that would imply a UI change to represent that new magazine size in the HUD.

Woorloog said:
That's one issue in Reach. Fighting should be THE choice, not running away. Retreating should be difficult, though if one manages to do that, they should be ready for a next fight.
And this is the biggest reason i hate sprint (and evade). Easy running should not be an option.
Really? I'm always running into some cover when my shields are down since Halo 2. I guess I lost my Halo honour now?

Woorloog

Banned
One question... why not-DAMMIT!
I was going to ask why not make AR like Halo CE AR in the TU but then i remembered mag size is not modifiable. Naturally AR would've needed other stat changes as well, high ROF, low damage, low accuracy but without the 60 round mag it wouldn't work :/

Hypertrooper said:
Really? I'm always running into some cover when my shields are down since Halo 2. I guess I lost my Halo honour now?
Running without shields if you're in bad position is risky, as it should be. The point is that Sprinting makes that rather easy. Too easy.

Working strafing would be nice.

Steelyuhas said:
I am assuming that the magazine size not changing has to do with UI changes being "out of the scope of this TU", because if you changed the magazine (I WANT TO CALL IT CLIP! LOL), that would imply a UI change to represent that new magazine size in the HUD.
Good point. Having large mag without UI noting it would be awkard.

neoism said:

Why does it have to be one or the other. You can have your sprint, just give me better footwork. Not everyone wants to sprint away from danger. Having only flight as an option makes for shitty encounters. Just the other night I was basically running away from several instances in which I could have taken someone on had I been able to strafe and avoid shots.

Hypertrooper said:

The point is some people who are confident in their abilities to out strafe opponents don't have really have that option in Reach. I ducked and covered in previous games as well. I also would go toe to toe with people I knew I could outstrafe and headshot.

Woorloog said:
One question... why not-DAMMIT!
I was going to ask why not make AR like Halo CE AR in the TU but then i remembered mag size is not modifiable. Naturally AR would've needed other stat changes as well, high ROF, low damage, low accuracy but without the 60 round mag it wouldn't work :/

Running without shields if you're in bad position is risky, as it should be. The point is that Sprinting makes that rather easy. Too easy.

Working strafing would be nice.
Lol? Nope. When I sprint to cover I always get killed the most times. Evade is the problem, because you can evade(lol) grenades or roll into cover better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
neoism said:
It's not that you're unable to run away. It's the loss in maneuverability and finesse that comes with Reach's inertia system. It's just not as fun.

Running away is an issue in Reach, just a separate issue. It's way too easy for folks to Sprint / Evade / Armor Lock out of danger. Shit ain't fun.

Top Bottom