• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Devolution said:
Obviously I can't know or use something well and recognize its faults. Oh wait I can, sup AR.
Again with the condescending tone? Sweet!

This game is fun for me. Hate me all you want guys. I'll just mute you when you blow off complaining about [insert any game mechanic here here] in-game :p

Hydranockz said:
Again with the condescending tone? Sweet!

This game is fun for me. Hate me all you want guys. I'll just mute you when you blow off complaining about [insert any game mechanic here here] in-game :p
So you are going to mute me the whole time? You won't hear "facking grenadez" anymore. :^/

Gui_PT

vhfive said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2mpaadg.gif

21548_o.gif

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Was I defending it in the the beta thread? I think I was like cautiously optimistic.

Not as fanatically as you do now. ;)

I remember towards the end of the beta I'd log on and absolutely no one would be on it, lmao.

They should bring more armor abilities in, and bring back equipment and power ups.

And a mode where each team has 20 lives and if you kill someone your team gets a life. So it can swing back and forth but to win you need a long streak of domination.

xxjuicesxx said:
They should bring more armor abilities in, and bring back equipment and power ups.

And a mode where each team has 20 lives and if you kill someone your team gets a life. So it can swing back and forth but to win you need a long streak of domination.

Keep off the drugs dude.

Also for the record I think AAs are hilarious but should mostly stay away from competitive stuff.

Standby grenade - Grenade that effects an area after landing that causes a Spartan's armor to malfunction and causes complete cessation of movement for a short duration.

Chain that with a sticky grenade for a combo nade kill.

Crucio

Louis Wu said:
We just posted these:

Reach Radio Transmissions

Transcripts are out there elsewhere - but as far as I know, nobody's got good audio recordings of this stuff (certainly not this cleaned-up), and nobody's got text this accurate. :)

Recording was done by Urban Reflex, audio cleanup by MacGyver10, transcripts by Urban Reflex/me/urk/Robt McLees.

Check 'em out!
Really great stuff. Thanks to all who help organize this!
I love those extra tidbits of story they cooked up with these transmissions.

Ramirez

I told Blood my idea at PAX, but I thought a Forerunner flash bang grenade would be pretty sweet as a pickup weapon. Treat it like a grenade, but only have two on the map at a time and put them on timers like power weapons. I thought the flare in 3 was a cool idea, but the fact that it blinded you as well made it pretty worthless...

/terrible idea for the day

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:

I remember towards the end of the beta I'd log on and absolutely no one would be on it, lmao.

That's understandable, the MLG gametypes weren't out yet lol

Ramirez said:
I told Blood my idea at PAX, but I thought a Forerunner flash bang grenade would be pretty sweet as a pickup weapon. Treat it like a grenade, but only have two on the map at a time and put them on timers like power weapons. I thought the flare in 3 was a cool idea, but the fact that it blinded you as well made it pretty worthless...

/terrible idea for the day

Am I the only one that misses spike nades? I loved sticking them in the top of door jams or parts of entrances where they couldn't be seen by someone entering.

Ramirez said:

I remember squeezing every game that I could out of the Halo 3 beta but I don't think I played more than a handful of games after the first week or two of the Reach beta.
Edit:
Could have been because it was my last semester before graduating college too though.

Stratovarius when playing Halo? Discuss :p

I miss spike nades too. I can only ever remember throwing one below the hatch on High Ground as one dude dropped down. It was glorious.

Hydranockz said:
Stratovarius when playing Halo? Discuss :p

I miss spike nades too. I can only ever remember throwing one below the hatch on High Ground as one dude dropped down. It was glorious.

Anyone know why they weren't included in Reach? I thought it was kind of cool to use a nade that could stick to surfaces.

Devolution said:
Am I the only one that misses spike nades? I loved sticking them in the top of door jams or parts of entrances where they couldn't be seen by someone entering.

They would have come in handy now I think about it but I haven't really thought in certain situations ''wow, I'd really need a spike nade right now''.

Farooq

Banned
I don't know if this has been discussed (probably has), but another problem I have with AA's and to some extent equipment in Halo 3 is that you can't really tell what ability/equipment that person has until they use it.

The difference between knowing and not knowing what ability your opponent is using can dramatically change the course of a fight.

For example, If I have rockets, and I see my opponent. If I know he has the ability to armour lock, I am going to be a little more patient with rockets and play that situation differently. A lot more differently than I would if I had not known he had the ability to armour lock.

I don't know if Reach was trying to be a class based shooter, but if it was it failed in this regard. I think one of the classic traits of successful class based shooters is the ability to know the class of your opponent. It sounds basic, and it is, but it helps the players tremendously and avoids situations that can lead to frustration.

In the case of Halo 3, there was a fair amount of hate for equipment as well. I think some of that could have been quelled if there was some sort of visual clue that indicated what piece of equipment a person had.

Devolution said:
Anyone know why they weren't included in Reach? I thought it was kind of cool to use a nade that could stick to surfaces.

Brutes forgot to bring the crate marked "spike grenades" with them when they invaded the planet. Thanks Bungie.

Ramirez

Devolution said:

Yep, I liked them, I stuck many on the rock tunnel exit of High Ground, and got people on their way out.

Tha Robbertster said:
They would have come in handy now I think about it but I haven't really thought in certain situations ''wow, I'd really need a spike nade right now''.
Run around corner when being chased, stick wall, profit. I always looooved hearing that clunky stick sound.

Tawpgun

Farooq said:
I don't know if this has been discussed (probably has), but another problem I have with AA's and to some extent equipment in Halo 3 is that you can't really tell what ability/equipment that person has until they use it.

The difference between knowing and not knowing what ability your opponent is using can dramatically change the course of a fight.

For example, If I have rockets, and I see my opponent. If I know he has the ability to armour lock, I am going to be a little more patient with rockets and play that situation differently. A lot more differently than I would if I had not known he had the ability to armour lock.

I don't know if Reach was trying to be a class based shooter, but if it was it failed in this regard. I think one of the classic traits of successful class based shooters is the ability to know the class of your opponent. It sounds basic, and it is, but it helps the players tremendously and avoids situations that can lead to frustration.

In the case of Halo 3, there was a fair amount of hate for equipment as well. I think some of that could have been quelled if there was some sort of visual clue that indicated what piece of equipment a person had.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Doesn't excuse some of the AA's, but it would help.

Devolution said:
Sage couldn't figure out how to nerf them properly, so they were just cut.

I loved to stick them on the inside of doorways and get someone to follow me through it.

I would like the current setup of AA's a little more if an EMP blast could nullify them briefly. I would give more monies to be able to sizzle some asshat's jetpack and watch him fall to his death.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
I never really heard these till I got my new headset, just chillin' on Anchor 9 then I'm all "who's talking? oh this thing actually is a radio."

Yea. The first time i heard one was not long after launch and it was the one on Glacier. Needless to say it really screwed with my head at the time.

Farooq said:
I had very briefly wondered this but thought it would really kill things like Hologram/Camo usage. Jetpackers really stick out and I quite like being able to see a few guys and easily tell which one has jetpack.

xxjuicesxx said:
Standby grenade - Grenade that effects an area after landing that causes a Spartan's armor to malfunction and causes complete cessation of movement for a short duration.

Chain that with a sticky grenade for a combo nade kill.

Bandwidth Grenade - Explosion sound is a very loud voice yelling "FREE HD MOVIE DOWNLOAD - USE CODE AM4Z AT AMAZON-VIDEO.COM". This prompts anyone in the room your opponent is playing in to start a 7 GB movie download, killing his latency.

Battery Drainer - Equipment that is deployed just like the power drainer. Players caught in the radius of effect will experience maximum controller vibration. Which doesn't stop. Ever.

Ejection Hammer - A special Grav Hammer. Any opponent you strike will immediately see his Xbox 360's disc tray open. The effects can be mitigated by purchasing Halo: Reach - Games on Demand™ for only 3200 MSP!

Frame Blainer - A grenade launcher that shoots eternally-phased forge objects. They can only be seen by your opponents and have no physics clipping. Fire off a few rounds and watch as everyone else suffers from a single-digit framerate.

Guilt Spiker- Sticking an opponent with this grenade fills their screen with family photos pulled from their Facebook account, particularly those of any children they may have. A barely audible clip of Cat's in the Cradle can be heard.

ncsuDuncan said:
Bandwidth Grenade - Explosion sound is a very loud voice yelling "FREE HD MOVIE DOWNLOAD - USE CODE AM4Z AT AMAZON-VIDEO.COM". This prompts anyone in the room your opponent is playing in to start a 7 GB movie download, killing his latency.

Battery Drainer - Equipment that is deployed just like the power drainer. Players caught in the radius of effect will experience maximum controller vibration. Which doesn't stop. Ever.

Ejection Hammer - A special Grav Hammer. Any opponent you strike will immediately see his Xbox 360's disc tray open. The effects can be mitigated by purchasing Halo: Reach - Games on Demand™ for only 3200 MSP!

Frame Blainer - A grenade launcher that shoots eternally-phased forge objects. They can only be seen by your opponents and have no physics clipping. Fire off a few rounds and watch as everyone else suffers from a single-digit framerate.

Guilt Spiker- Sticking an opponent with this grenade fills their screen with family photos pulled from their Facebook account, particularly those of any children they may have. A barely audible clip of Cat's in the Cradle can be heard.

I seriously want to make symbols for these now, so hilariously good.

feel

I hate crap that balances other crap. I hate unfair deaths. I hate crutches that allow people's mistakes to go unpunished. I hate restricting movement. I hate walking grey lego environments created by clueless basement dwellers instead of colorful and organic environments design by professionals that leave me in awe and wonder. I hate diceroll gunplay. I hate uneven capabilities on spawn. I hate how long term fans' opinions don't matter or are easily dismissed with some worthless excuse. I hate Reach. I hate the fact that I will definitely be leaving Halo behind if the Halo 4 beta feels closer to Reach than to the decade old franchise I've considered a home one power button press away from home.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:

ROFLMAO. Those would be so goddamn annoying but yet so fucking hilarious. Also on the subject of Spike Grenades I can take them or leave them. I'd rather not have them if it means I can have back 4 frag and 4 sticky grenades again.

ncsuDuncan said:
Oh gawd :lol

There needs to be a Montage AA that play's that "When the bodies hit the floor" song on maximum volume :p

You had a post like this before and it nearly killed me! Please start a website for further additions to this game.

Hydranockz said:

There needs to be a Montage AA that play's that "When the bodies hit the floor" song on maximum volume :p

You had a post like this before and it nearly killed me! Please start a website for further additions to this game.

Heh, I've actually been toying with the idea of adding a Halo webcomic (and collection of fake patch notes) to my Misriah site. I'm not artistically talented in the least - my PAX friend Leviathan would openly weep at my Halo drawings. Of course, drawing ability (or lack thereof) never stopped Stuntmutt.

cory021

Neo Member
The secret to surviving 6-7 minutes in a Banshee: flip around the entire map.

Slayer on Spire. This guy in a Banshee does nothing but shoot a Fuel Rod, then barrel roll 5-6 times around the map, then does it again.

I remember Ghaleon saying something a few pages back about how one of the things that are lacking from Reach BTB is the 'chess' sort of gameplay. I agree completely. In the span of about 6-7 minutes I tried using a Rocket Launcher, a Grenade Launcher, and a LAAV Warthog (that's anti-air). Of course, the thing that ends up bringing it down is the accumulation of DMR fire that me and my mostly incompetent team was able to land on it between 'Banshee Twitches'.

I'm sad the TU isn't doing anything about the Banshee.

Devolution said:

Sage wanted to scale back the sandbox to core items, i loved spike nades

Hydranockz said:

Im very tempted to make a halo reach total bastarge. :p

Retro said:
I loved spike grenades too, actually... I wonder if they could be re-integrated as a proximity-based grenade. You'd toss one and it would remain there until someone walks by and trips it. Until it detonates, though, you wouldn't be able to pick up a replacement (i.e. if you throw two spike grenades, you can't pick any more up until those are triggered).

Of course, that would completely screw up the pace and flow of the game, so... I'm just full of bad ideas, aren't I?

Eww that sounds like claymores from CoD and those things seriously suck. Spikers which stick too walls for a second and then explode are fine as like you need to be smart with how you use them.

Retro

I loved spike grenades too, actually... I wonder if they could be re-integrated as a proximity-based grenade. You'd toss one and it would remain there until someone walks by and trips it. Until it detonates, though, you wouldn't be able to pick up a replacement (i.e. if you throw two spike grenades, you can't pick any more up until those are triggered).

Of course, that would completely screw up the pace and flow of the game, so... I'm just full of bad ideas, aren't I?

Retro said:

I think they were fine as is, I just didn't know why they were excluded.

Tiered armor abilities that get better and better based on unlocking challenges and grinding things.

lol. So awful.

xxjuicesxx said:
Love it. Keep em coming.

--

Tiered armor abilities that get better and better based on unlocking challenges and grinding things.

Equipment pick up packs, hear me out. Located around the map once picked up allows rapid deployment of any equipment for a adjustable time period default is 3mins.

Scenario time. You pick jetpack loadout and are getting bodied 42-12, grab the trip mine pick up and fly around the map dropping trip mines everywhere. Net 38 kills and win the game. GAME CHANGER!.

Original and new Perk system, 5 perks can be selected at any time, purchasable from armoury 2.0 examples of perks include, Stealth(hidden on radar), Scope(adds 20x scope to all guns) Overshields, Camo, No EMP damage and Faster reload.

Also included in armoury 2.0 individual coloured armour parts and armour bonuses such as +2 shield or +5 headshot reduction.

Weapon attachments and adjustable stats for different encounters.

New power weapon, airstrikes the current K/d leader.

Hitboxes are now based on what armour your wearing.

And please can we give female spartans adjustable bosom's the lack of any discernibly chest area really break immersion for me and im sure many others

Top Bottom