• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Woorloog

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Lol? Nope. When I sprint to cover I always get killed the most times. Evade is the problem, because you can evade(lol) grenades or roll into cover better.
Well, say you have a bit shield left. Without damage bleedthrough, that's enough to protect you from headshots. Turn and sprint and you're safe. It'd call that too easy. Damage bleedthrough will solve this, partially. Easy to run from non-headshot weapons still.
I admit running is more rare in Reach than armor locking or evading...

neoism

orznge said:
Can you describe for us specifically which facets of the game you think would be harmed if the physics were changed to give the player more freedom of movement and raise the skill ceiling significantly?
Well seeing how I'm not wanting the game to always be more and more skill based. To me reading all of the complaining for the past year in the these threads, most gaffers are just gooood players. I'm solid but average at best REACH is the easiest game in the series for me MM wise. 3 had a higher skill requirement from the player. For me the inertia system works because I was never a strafer in 3 or 2. I didn't hate the walking speed because I hadn't played REACH yet. I think it works but only if you use sprint to go through out the maps. I wish sprint was default and there were no AAs. I'm pretty sure 4 will play really similar to 3... I just hope the some of the wonderful things from REACH are in,
sprint
but the good news is 4 is a new trilogy with new people making it so I honestly hope it plays different with having the options to play like the old games in customs or MM. For me I have the most freedom of movement...
I'm just glad Frankie is da boss... so all us noobs can still play 4, even though it will more than likely cater to skilled based players. :p <3

Dax01 said:
That was pretty quick. Especially part about him wanting to build a "fundamentally different Halo."

Something about him not having the clout to do so? I would be quite happy with him leaving and not fundamentally changing Halo DEPENDING on what he's trying to achieve. I suppose he would have been better suited to a side project where he could have had more creative freedom without changing the core of Halo?

EDIT: its plywoods Bday? Happy bday dude, I wish I had access to your gif collection to put something worthwhile up.

Eh even I can see problems with sprint being up so damn much. I'll be the first to admit I've used it so many times to escape deaths I deserved by playing stupid to begin with. Most of the AAs are crutches that don't make people any better at the game. Instead of learning to play better and figuring out what got them killed, they just utilize an AA to make up for it.

neoism

Woorloog said:
That's one issue in Reach. Fighting should be THE choice, not running away. Retreating should be difficult, though if one manages to do that, they should be ready for a next fight.
And this is the biggest reason i hate sprint (and evade). Easy running should not be an option.
that was more of a joke I do sometimes but most of the time if I'm near someone attacking... I try to kill them with all I got... I'm a try HARD.

Devolution said:
Eh even I can see problems with sprint being up so damn much. I'll be the first to admit I've used it so many times to escape deaths I deserved by playing stupid to begin with. Most of the AAs are crutches that don't make people any better at the game. Instead of learning to play better and figuring out what got them killed, they just utilize an AA to make up for it.
Bungie tried to incorporate AAs to Reach's core gameplay. Calling them a crutch is sad really. If Bungie has designed them to be used when possible/needed, then why is it that when I use it, I am suddenly a bad player?

If I am in the open and a ghost tries to splatter me, so I armour lock, am I a bad player?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
God I love Sennheiser. Headset broke. I was covered by warranty and they gave me a brand new headset rather than fixing it. No questions asked. All I paid for was shipping. So awesome. I'll also be hooking up voice in my stream again tonight. That should make it more interesting for sure.

Striker

The best thing about the beta was the Pistol being stronger, and the AR being an utility weapon, rather than a, I guess you could say, primary weapon. The Plasma Repeater was also useful, rather than rarely picked up now. Just an odd choice of decisions.

Tashi0106 said:
God I love Sennheiser. Headset broke. I was covered by warranty and they gave me a brand new headset rather than fixing it. No questions asked. All I paid for was shipping. So awesome. I'll also be hooking up voice in my stream again tonight. That should make it more interesting for sure.

Same thing happened with me about 6 months ago. Great company, great products.
No hard sell there lol

Striker said:
The best thing about the beta was the Pistol being stronger, and the AR being an utility weapon, rather than a, I guess you could say, primary weapon. The Plasma Repeater was also useful, rather than rarely picked up now. Just an odd choice of decisions.

Don't forget the Microwave. It was actually a highly sought-out weapon in the Beta. Now it's rarely even used.

Hydranockz said:
Bungie tried to incorporate AAs to Reach's core gameplay. Calling them a crutch is sad really. If Bungie has designed them to be used when possible/needed, then why is it that when I use it, I am suddenly a bad player?

If I am in the open and a ghost tries to splatter me, so I armour lock, am I a bad player?

The problem is most of the AAs are used as gimmick to escape a death a player deserved by playing stupid. Did they learn anything utilizing an AA in such a manner? Why do you think there are people actually upset at the armorlock nerf?

I'm just being honest about how I see the AAs used most of the time, and it's basically a counter measure to them playing stupid in the first place. Hell I've been there, I think sprint has caused me to play worse, not better. When I go into classic I still play well, but I want to sprint out of certain situations and it's not available. That's when I'm like "hmm just how is this affecting how I play?" (Yes it's a great way to dodge stuff because of Reach's lack of movement but let's set that aside for a second.)

The answer is, instead of playing smarter and better, I know with sprint up I can play a certain way, and if it doesn't go in my favor, just pop sprint, try again. I don't think being able to do that makes most players better, and is probably the reason so many people just aren't good at this game. They've relied on these AA gimmicks and when the AAs get parsed down more and more, they suffer, because the AAs made up for a lot of their own ineptitude.

I'll always think AAs should have been specialized pick ups for specific tasks, not loadouts like CoD.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
I'll always think AAs should have been specialized pick ups for specific tasks, not loadouts like CoD.
Equipment from Halo 3.
How i'd love to get those back, properly balanced and fixed and more options.
Sprint would've worked well as one, you pick it up and using it gives speed boost but prevents using weapons, same with Jetpack.

Woorloog said:
Equipment from Halo 3.
How i'd love to get those back, properly balanced and fixed and more options.
Sprint would've worked well as one, you pick it up and using it gives speed boost but prevents using weapons, same with Jetpack.

It would be like previous Halos too where you actually fight and earn the right to use an advantageous ability.

Striker

Devolution said:
It would be like previous Halos too where you actually fight and earn the right to use an advantageous ability too.
That's fine dandy if: they're properly balanced, i.e. not getting used to escape a death, which is and has been total garbage in Halo 3 and Reach. What also was fine for the overshield and camo were only two items on the map, at most. With equipment you just multiplied everything and it really wasn't a "fight for x item" or earning them.

Devolution said:
I'll respectfully disagree with just about everything you said there.

I think you play the CoD card too easily. You don't give it a chance. AAs are and can be used for specific tasks. At the start of a match you see people rocking the movement AAs like sprint, evade and jetpack to get to advantageous positions. Alternatively, you have the players who anticipate such movement and set upon those positions with Hologram or Camo.

I love utilizing AAs. I see a player sprinting away from me on the Spillway on Powerhouse up towards hammer for cover, I can jetpack up and eliminate the dreaded long encounters you so despise. I think knowing when to run away has always been super important in Halo games. Strafing was really important in 3 but it also was a rash tactic if you thought you could outstrafe your opponent instead of simply running away and saving their team from going +1.

AAs as opposed to Equipment has been really good for matches. I just wish I could identify which AAs player's had easier... maybe not. Jetpackers are nice and obvious.

I really enjoy how Reach plays currently. Of course I can't wait for the TU but those are minor tweaks that will only better affect the game. I like this game to the core. I don't feel cheated by bloom. I don't lament a loss of inertia because I think AAs are meant to be used in situations where you want to dodge grenades and the such. I think players that pick Camo and Hologram are already seriously disadvantaged because of that. I think connections in games are far better than any Halo game. Lag is virtually non existant in 90% of games.

Louis Wu

We just posted these:

Reach Radio Transmissions

Transcripts are out there elsewhere - but as far as I know, nobody's got good audio recordings of this stuff (certainly not this cleaned-up), and nobody's got text this accurate. :)

Recording was done by Urban Reflex, audio cleanup by MacGyver10, transcripts by Urban Reflex/me/urk/Robt McLees.

Check 'em out!

Louis Wu said:
We just posted these:

Transcripts are out there elsewhere - but as far as I know, nobody's got good audio recordings of this stuff (certainly not this cleaned-up), and nobody's got text this accurate. :)

Recording was done by Urban Reflex, audio cleanup by MacGyver10, transcripts by Urban Reflex/me/urk/Robt McLees.

Check 'em out!
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/reach_radio_transmissions/trans/highlands/ :^(

Otherwise there are some radios on the new maps. (I found one on Timberland) I hope it is understandable this time.

Going to listen and read through it on the weekend
Still awesome work!

Woorloog

Banned
Striker said:
That's fine dandy if: they're properly balanced, i.e. not getting used to escape a death, which is and has been total garbage in Halo 3 and Reach. What also was fine for the overshield and camo were only two items on the map, at most. With equipment you just multiplied everything and it really wasn't a "fight for x item" or earning them.
Halo 3 overused equipment and power ups IMO. Put power ups on maps that are small and fast, equipment in bigger ones (or however they work best). And stick those in the middle of the map anyway, something to be controlled, just like power weapons.
The concept of equipment is great, fits Halo very well. Just make 'em work...
I wonder why equipment weren't kept for Reach and fleshed out rather than replaced with similar but worse and unbalanced system.

Woorloog said:
I wonder why equipment weren't kept for Reach and fleshed out rather than replaced with similar but worse and unbalanced system.
Because people would just hold onto them and never use them apparently.

Hydranockz said:
I'll respectfully disagree with just about everything you said there.

I think you play the CoD card too easily. You don't give it a chance. AAs are and can be used for specific tasks. At the start of a match you see people rocking the movement AAs like sprint, evade and jetpack to get to advantageous positions. Alternatively, you have the players who anticipate such movement and set upon those positions with Hologram or Camo.

I love utilizing AAs. I see a player sprinting away from me on the Spillway on Powerhouse up towards hammer for cover, I can jetpack up and eliminate the dreaded long encounters you so despise. I think knowing when to run away has always been super important in Halo games. Strafing was really important in 3 but it also was a rash tactic if you thought you could outstrafe your opponent instead of simply running away and saving their team from going +1.

AAs as opposed to Equipment has been really good for matches. I just wish I could identify which AAs player's had easier... maybe not. Jetpackers are nice and obvious.

I really enjoy how Reach plays currently. Of course I can't wait for the TU but those are minor tweaks that will only better affect the game. I like this game to the core. I don't feel cheated by bloom. I don't lament a loss of inertia because I think AAs are meant to be used in situations where you want to dodge grenades and the such. I think players that pick Camo and Hologram are already seriously disadvantaged because of that. I think connections in games are far better than any Halo game. Lag is virtually non existant in 90% of games.

Of course they can be used for specific tasks, however I am talking about how they play out in most games. As in they're up often enough to just spam them when an encounter isn't going your way. Or in the case of the jetpack just go up to heights people can't reach or give ridiculously line of sight advantage. Not to mention the y-axis isn't exactly fast. In the case of evade, get CQC. Have invis, pick up sniper.

There's really no need for most of them in competitive slayer/objective matches. I don't mind them in big team or used to take out vehicles as AL does. The issue for me is when scores of encounters involve fighting the AA not the person in the competitive playlists.

Also strafing a rash tactic, what?

Rickenslacker said:

I used the regen on valhalla, and saw it used quite a bit. I think it was one of the few good placements. The placements of most of 'em rendered the equipment useless a lot of the time.

GhaleonEB said:
I hope more than anything 343 is looking at a new mission structure. ~10 mostly linear missions in sequence has grown a bit stale. More open missions are very difficult to design and more expensive from an art/design standpoint, but I hope they look more to the hub in ODST, or even the second mission in the first game (or New Alexadria, writ large) for inspiration. The concept art they showed makes me want to go exploring.
I hope they go the hub world route too. It was what I was hoping Bungie would do for Reach, but alas. Missions centered around a hub world has a lot of potential; ODST scratched the surface.

Woorloog

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
I was just going to edit my post with this one, i don't think it's a good reason. Many players picked them up and used them, though rarely well but then it seemed that every other player did something stupid constantly. I don't see people not using their power weapons.
And many of them weren't very suitable for killing others. Bubble prevents you from shooting, throwing power drain in a wrong place prevents you from chasing the enemy... i think one issue is that people didn't know how to properly use them.

Adding charges to power ups could've worked. What if one Bubble could've been deployed multiple times (with cooldown of course and assume it's more like the beta one and destroyable like Reach Bubble). Of course this could've lead to bunch of other issues...

An alternative equipment system: Make them work like weapons. IE one takes a weapon slot. Mines anyone? Might've mixed up the system nicely.

Woorloog said:
I was just going to edit my post with this one, i don't think it's a good reason. Many players picked them up and used them, though rarely well but then it seemed that every other player did something stupid constantly. I don't see people not using their power weapons.
And many of them weren't very suitable for killing others. Bubble prevents you from shooting, throwing power drain in a wrong place prevents you from chasing the enemy... i think one issue is that people didn't know how to properly use them.

Adding charges to power ups could've worked. What if one Bubble could've been deployed multiple times (with cooldown of course and assume it's more like the beta one and destroyable like Reach Bubble).

I used drain on vehicles constantly, it was one of the few pieces of equipment I'd seek out if a particular vehicle was exceptionally obnoxious.

Devolution said:
The issue for me is when scores of encounters involve fighting the AA not the person in the competitive playlists.
As opposed to fighting the regen you use on Valhalla? Once again I think we just have to agree our opinions are quite different.

I like that it isn't like CoD where loadouts would have been tied to rank or something. People are on equal footing. If you don't choose sprint and someone sprints away from you, I'd argue the player beat you, not the AA. That might just be me though.

Hypertrooper said:
Otherwise there are some radios on the new maps. (I found one on Timberland) I hope it is understandable this time.
I found a radio on Installation 04. (Well, "find" is misleading because it's out in the open.)

I tried listening to the chatter, but couldn't make anything out. I'm pretty sure the person running the Firefight demo area thought I was insane, crouching next to a crate for a minute or so.

As for all the discussion on armor abilities... I'll sit this one out. I feel like I've beaten that dead horse enough already.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
I used drain on vehicles constantly, it was one of the few pieces of equipment I'd seek out if a particular vehicle was exceptionally obnoxious.
Yup, that one is great. But i know from experience throwing it in a wrong place may cost me a lot, even help the enemy.

Hydranockz said:
As opposed to fighting the regen you use on Valhalla? Once again I think we just have to agree our opinions are quite different.

I like that it isn't like CoD where loadouts would have been tied to rank or something. People are on equal footing. If you don't choose sprint and someone sprints away from you, I'd argue the player beat you, not the AA. That might just be me though.

Should I even bother to discuss this with you if you're going to compare AA loadouts in Reach to a once in a while equipment pick up in h3?

Devolution said:
Ever play Standoff where they are rolling in a hog but they also have your power drain/laser.

Speaking of which, I only wish the vehicles weren't gimped as much as they were. Standoff with Sprint and AL would have been a dream from all that spawn camping and hog rolling :p

Hydranockz said:
Ever play Standoff where they are rolling in a hog but they also have your power drain/laser.

Speaking of which, I only wish the vehicles weren't gimped as much as they were. Standoff with Sprint and AL would have been a dream from all that spawn camping and hog rolling :p

All of the time. I'd get stickies. Thankfully they were in the base. Balancing out terrible maps/gametypes with armor abilities just makes for a worse time. What would people do after the terrible warthog is gone with AL? Troll the opposing base probably or their own. Good luck nading people out of either base now.

Woorloog

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
As for all the discussion on armor abilities... I'll sit this one out. I feel like I've beaten that dead horse enough already.
Interesting read (well, skimming).
Good ideas and suggestions though i don't agree with everything. Sprint being a default equipment, i'd rather simply fix strafing, up the standard movement speed and throw sprint away, not really needed in Halo, considering how small the maps usually are. And BTB maps are vehicle maps with infantry routes (should be at least), again no need for sprint.

Devolution said:
All of the time. I'd get stickies. Thankfully they were in the base.
Stickies did fuck all to Warthogs in Halo 3 and Reach for that matter. Couple that with a bad host and have a good time trying to even connect :p

Hydranockz said:
Stickies did fuck all to Warthogs in Halo 3 and Reach for that matter. Couple that with a bad host and have a good time trying to even connect :p

The problem with your thinking is you want to balance out awful stuff with an AA and don't want to recognize how said AA will be used other than your intended purpose. That's the biggest problem with AAs in general, you can list how it's supposed to be used or how useful it is in X situation, then there is the reality of how it plays out in any given game based on the majority of the playerbase.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
We just posted these:

Check 'em out!

Awesome work on those by all of you. I really can't wait to see the new additions from the Anniversary content added when it's out.

PsychoRaven said:
Awesome work on those by all of you. I really can't wait to see the new additions from the Anniversary content added when it's out.

I never really heard these till I got my new headset, just chillin' on Anchor 9 then I'm all "who's talking? oh this thing actually is a radio."

senador

Banned
Hydranockz said:

Ha! You have just stated the basic concept of why the people who hate AAs hate them. That is rock-paper-scissors gameplay, which is random and not skill based really other than trying to read the other person...which is impossible to do over live. In what you described, I'd say the player beat you, but the AA was the reason why, not skill.

Its also been stated before that having to choose X AA to counter Y is not fun and the player shouldn't be forced to do that. Its also something only possible to do on death, so after spawn you can't change that.

Woorloog said:
Interesting read (well, skimming).
Good ideas and suggestions though i don't agree with everything. Sprint being a default equipment, i'd rather simply fix strafing, up the standard movement speed and throw sprint away, not really needed in Halo, considering how small the maps usually are. And BTB maps are vehicle maps with infantry routes (should be at least), again no need for sprint.

For the record, I'd much prefer a faster standard movement speed (without inertia) over giving everyone Sprint.

I was just trying to find a compromise for Reach. Not to mention I think picking up a new Armor Ability should carry with it some sort of downside. Losing the ability to sprint seemed like a reasonable tradeoff. One thing I dislike about Halo 3's equipment is that there is no penalty for walking around with an unused Power Drainer in your pocket.

TheOddOne

Louis Wu said:
We just posted these:

Check 'em out!
This is awesome work guys!

Strange that there are even transmissions on the new maps.

Devolution said:
The problem with your thinking is you want to balance out awful stuff with an AA and don't want to recognize how said AA will be used other than your intended purpose. That's the biggest problem with AAs in general, you can list how it's supposed to be used or how useful it is in X situation, then there is the reality of how it plays out in any given game based on the majority of the playerbase.
Must you be so condescending when addressing my opinions?

AAs, I find, are really good. That's me. I like each of them. With the tweaks in the TU I will be even happier with them. Jetpack beats sprint/evade+hammer. As does AL. Heck, even if you had sprint, if you reacted you could just turn around and run in the same direction they were. Evade backwards and the distance between ye is the same as if he hadn't used it at all. Camo will make it difficult for the hammer dude. Hologram can buy you time. I took how you find an AA to be used outside of it's intended purpose and reinforced it with pretty much every other AA as it was intended. No problem there in my thinking :p

Just like Equipment, people don't know how to use them properly.

senador

Banned
Hydranockz said:

AAs, I find, are really good. That's me. I like each of them. With the tweaks in the TU I will be even happier with them. Jetpack beats sprint/evade+hammer. As does AL. Heck, even if you had sprint, if you reacted you could just turn around and run in the same direction they were. Evade backwards and the distance between ye is the same as if he hadn't used it at all. Camo will make it difficult for the hammer dude. Hologram can buy you time. I took how you find an AA to be used outside of it's intended purpose and reinforced it with pretty much every other AA as it was intended. No problem there in my thinking :p

Are you really insinuating that those of us that don't like AAs don't know how to use them?

Hydranockz said:

It is a problem when you're conveniently ignoring the fact that many people who strive for competitiveness in Halo were in love with the fact that everyone starts out on equal footing. If AAs are loadouts, this renders that core concept effectively false. If AAs are instead earned pick ups, then there is the fact that said pickup/equipment is like a power weapon in that regard. They fought for it, they earned the advantage.

How is the advantage "earned" when you can simply pick and choose whatever AA needs to utilized at that time? To me that makes more sense in a crazy big team in which you need to perform multiple tasks based on what has just occurred. In a competitive smaller environment it just makes for a game in which the AAs come out on top more so than an individual's skill.

senador said:
Are you really insinuating that those of us that don't like AAs don't know how to use them?
Stress: Properly.

Yes :p So this is what it feels like to be Tashi on the backfoot. I must relent. I must be strong.
That's why I start every day with 3 and a half bowls of Tashi's MLG endorsed morning breakfast cereal!

I think people are especially quick to complain here. I'm not gonna go with the flow if it means complaining over and over and over and over. That ain't me. I can't wait to play this game again. Pre and post TU. I empathise with Fyrewulff and others in this thread. You guys don't gang up at all :p

Devo: Everyone starts on equal footing. You have access to everything the other team has access to at the start. Not like CoD at all. Competitive players play MLG/Swat/Classic/Sniper playlists with much limited AA choices. Heck, Slayer Pro is always fun and always an option. AAs are fine in the few playlists they are in :p

Ramirez

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21300462&postcount=21047

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21292570&postcount=20825

I came back to my senses towards the end of the beta. :p

What's super funny to me is that anyone who was defending Reach in that thread hasn't posted in these threads a single time, and probably put the game down a month after launch, lol.

edit: Well as I type that, I see Hydra telling people they don't know how to use AAs, which is exactly what I was reading in the beta thread, lulz.

Obviously I can't know or use something well and recognize its faults. Oh wait I can, sup AR.

Devo: Everyone starts on equal footing. You have access to everything the other team has access to at the start. Not like CoD at all. Competitive players play MLG/Swat/Classic/Sniper playlists with much limited AA choices. Heck, Slayer Pro is always fun and always an option. AAs are fine in the few playlists they are in :p

I love this argument, as in I see it propagated too much in so many games. Obviously I lost already in the loadout choice screen right? Because I had access to the same shit? Yeah that went over well when the only counter to AL was AL.

vhfive

Hydranockz said:
Stress: Properly.

Yes :p So this is what it feels like to be Tashi on the backfoot. I must relent. I must be strong.
That's why I start every day with 3 and a half bowls of Tashi's MLG endorsed morning breakfast cereal!

I think people are especially quick to complain here. I'm not gonna go with the flow if it means complaining over and over and over and over. That ain't me. I can't wait to play this game again. Pre and post TU. I empathise with Fyrewulff and others in this thread. You guys don't gang up at all :p

2mpaadg.gif

JB1981

i hope halo 4 includes sprint. i don't want to play halo without sprint. REACH is honestly my favorite Halo, gameplay wise. I am better at this than any of the others games. Although, I think it's because I finally started to understand the mechanics and have memorized the power weapon placements on the maps. I do well in Reach and I feel like I usually win if I play well and die if I play like shit. Sure there are cheap moments but overall I feel like the game is pretty fair and that is why I come back to it so often.

Top Bottom