• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Sai-kun

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
Get on halo? i aint played with you yet!.

This goes to any other halogaf who i may or may not of played with. GT=StalkerUKCG Get on me bro's (femiBro's)

I'm getting online now :)

heckfu said:
hey you guys know i read this, right?

oh i didn't see you there

Sai-kun said:
what else is new?

Also I just checked, I have 1092 Assassinations, counting Competitive, Arena, and Invasion. ~gold rear admiral~

Sai likes to give it from behind? <3 you Sai. I am browsing this thread in class, sorry peeps.

Farooq

Banned
Woorloog said:
Considering how slow Reach is, even slower than Halo 3, i think adding a few superfluos things is not trying to get COD/GOW crowd to play Halo. Well, i don't know about GOW though... Actually, i wonder to whom Reach is aimed. Slow for players of previous Halos, slow for COD crowd, too small scale for BF players...
Which reminds me, i need to buy them (used/cheap). I never finished the first one. All right but nothing memorable but considering it's one of 360's flagship titles, i need to play it.

I would say Halo getting slower was just Bungie trying to implement their overall philosophy for Halo. The trend was to get slower, and it happened.

But you can see influences from other games in Reach. CoD experience-reward system is something Bungie was looking at. They incorporated a version of their own reward system into their game.

I remember reading an article, where Bungie says they look at several games when developing their own. They look at what works for those games, and what doesn't work. I cannot explicitly prove that a certain addition to the game was to attract certain gamers.

But from reading that article and what I see in Reach, it is just a conclusion I have come to. Halo Reach was trying to be something it was not, and that is why it is disappointment to many members of the community, myself included.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gui_PT said:
In my opinion, they just thought Assassinations were fun and decided to put them in.

Many of you don't know this, but Halo is mostly about having fun.
GTFO.

JK, I always appreciate your humor.

Woorloog said:
Yours was pretty good. That's what makes Halo so great, no other game has such occurences. Battlefield comes close (BF moments anyone?) but it is very different.

As for the machinima.com vid... Am i only one who doesn't find Reach fails or funny moments that are not Fails of the Weak funny? Geoff's laughter enchances fails so much...
The clips on Fails of the Weak are pretty funny sometimes, but Geoff's laughter is what makes it. I can't help but laugh.

also Tunavi's picture is pretty funny

Woorloog

Banned
Farooq said:
I would say Halo getting slower was just Bungie trying to implement their overall philosophy for Halo. The trend was to get slower, and it happened.

But You can see influences from other games in Reach. CoD experience-reward system is something Bungie was looking at. They incorporated a version of their own reward system into their game.

I remember reading an article, where Bungie says they look at several games when developing their own. They look at what works for those games, and what doesn't work. I cannot explicitly prove that a certain addition of were to attract said gamers of a crowd.

But from reading that article and what I see in Reach, it is just a conclusion I have come to. Halo Reach was trying to be something it was not, and that is why it is disappointment to many members of the community, myself included.
*nods*
I do wonder why Bungie felt Halo should be slower... bad decision IMO. It feels like they based the slowness on that Spartans in Mjolnir Mark V aren't as fast as in Mjolnir Mark VI. Stupid reasoning really, canon should never dictate gameplay that much.

Farooq said:

But You can see influences from other games in Reach. CoD experience-reward system is something Bungie was looking at. They incorporated a version of their own reward system into their game.

I remember reading an article, where Bungie says they look at several games when developing their own. They look at what works for those games, and what doesn't work. I cannot explicitly prove that a certain addition of were to attract said gamers of a crowd.

I kind of agree, there are a couple elements in Reach that seem unnecessary, at least to me. I was talking to some people about how I'm feeling more and more that I should get into old FPSes on PC more since they're parsed down (and I used to play them much more frequently). I don't really need bells and whistles, I just want to shoot at people and watch them die without much complication.

Woorloog

Banned
Butane123 said:
Spartan IIIs compared to Spartan IIs, which the MC was.
Oh right... i forgot we play as Spartan III in Reach. Lol. I usually know fictional, uh, facts rather well. Here you can see how much i care about Reach, i don't bother to remember its fiction.

Also after a good discussion with my class, I'm going to be redesigning Fry's. For people who don't know, it's basically a huge electronic store mostly hubbed in CA/TX.

Ramirez said:
Balancing a game based on fiction is a pretty terrible thought process for multiplayer...

True enough. As far as I'm concerned multiplayer and single player could be as far removed from each other as possible as well and I wouldn't complain as long as both are fun and make sense.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hey You said:
I wonder if Bungie's Halofest Panel will ever be uploaded onto Waypoint (360)?

All of the Halo Fest panel videos should be on Waypoint by the end of the week.

JB1981

Wait Reach is slower than Halo 3? In what way, exactly? I can't sprint in 3. I can't DMR the crap out of someone from across the map. I don't float around in the air when I jump in reach. I can cover more ground due to sprint and evade AAs. How is Halo 3 faster?

Woorloog

Banned
Ramirez said:
Balancing a game based on fiction is a pretty terrible thought process for multiplayer...
Indeed. Unless you balance the game for multiplayer, make that canon and base stuff on that...
And add single new thing and ruin everything.

BTW; I read that BF3 balance is actually based on real world stuff. Based, not the same.

JB1981 said:
Wait Reach is slower than Halo 3? In what way, exactly? I can't sprint in 3. I can't DMR the crap out of someone from across the map. I don't float around in the air when I jump in reach. I can cover more ground due to sprint and evade AAs. How is Halo 3 faster?
Kill times are slower, movement is slower. Sprint does speed up contact making but it also cuts contact short, it is easy to run away with it. AAs in general slow the game. Bloom forces pacing which slows the game.
BR could kill across a map if it wasn't a big one.

Ramirez

JB1981 said:

Each game has gotten progressively slower, with things like AL and bloom, Reach definitely plays slower than any of the others.

A lot of it has to do with map design too. As crappy as Select is, it's one of the quickest playing maps in the game due to the side spawns, which is an awesome change of pace compared to the snails pace most maps play at.

JB1981 said:
The base speed is faster in Halo 3, the kill times are faster. Hence a faster game.

also increased speed and jump height made map movement more fluid, which helps too

Striker

JB1981 said:
Base speeds are pretty comparable. Only difference is Halo 3 does not have the stiff inertia and has the floaty moon jumps which traverses a player quicker. But at the same stance, Reach has sprint and jetpack which helps rapids the pace. Either way, both games have dawned progressively worse in game speed and in my view makes the games less fun.

JB1981

Hmm interesting. I will defer to your experience with the games. I have always played Halo but have never been as devout as (or as skilled) as you guys. Isn't weapon switching in Reach faster than Halo 3 as well?

JB1981 said:
Hmm interesting. I will defer to your experience with the games. I have always played Halo but have never been as devout as (or as skilled) as you guys. Isn't weapon switching in Reach faster than Halo 3 as well?
no, that is also slower I believe. As is the melee animation

Woorloog

Banned
JB1981 said:
I swear that is slower as well. Actually, no idea. What i do know is that Plasma pistol Charge up is very slow in Reach.

thezerofire said:
Wha? Melee is slower as well? I swear it's faster. In the beta it was ridiculously fast, now it's still too fast.

omg.kittens said:
Go to the Community forum, and click on the number in the replies column for the Reach thread.
Thanks

EDIT top 20.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
*looks at post count of members in here*

Oh jeez. =/. *blush*
Damn, I'm #21 (#20 with this post!), and I feel like I post all the time. But you've posted more than four times as much as I have, haha. It's cool, though -- you're cool and mostly nice, so it doesn't come off as annoying. Unlike AlienShogun back in the day...

Woorloog said:
How do you see that?
Go to the Community forum, and click on the number in the replies column for the Reach thread.

Woorloog said:
I swear that is slower as well. Actually, no idea. What i do know is that Plasma pistol Charge up is very slow in Reach.

Wha? Melee is slower as well? I swear it's faster. In the beta it was ridiculously fast, now it's still too fast.
When I went back to Halo 3 a week or two ago the melee seemed so fast, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Woorloog

Banned
thezerofire said:
When I went back to Halo 3 a week or two ago the melee seemed so fast, but maybe I'm imagining things.
Hmm, i did play ODST yesterday but didn't take note on how fast the melee was. Of course weapon does have a slight effect on this, no? ODST and Halo 3 melee speed however is the same though.
EDIT ODST soundtrack for the win!

stephen08 said:
That's a pretty colored viewpoint considering there exist options to remove friendly fire within the games UI. It's a design choice to allow it to happen. How you can justify holding the objective as being okay but betrayals as not shows how deluded you are. There's no point in trying to reason with someone like you.

I was staying out of this, and I know im late to the whole conversation but I just wanted to point out just how damn illogical your thought processes are.

Friendly fire is in the game in my opinion to make players behave in a tactical manner, for example if you have rockets your going to have to be careful when you rocket a enemy. If a teammate is next to a enemy the better option would be to hold fire. In many ways friendly fire adds to the gameplay, it isnt designed for betraying.

So no, yoinks and betraying are not on a equal footing in terms of both exisiting within the game rules.

I freely admit that it's unsportsmanlike conduct on my part but I am doing it to people who I perceive to be big enough jerks to deserve it. Not to just grief people/pad my stats like you and you ilk with holding the objective. I have the morally superior ground here, maybe my methods are less scrupulous but it's not like I am griefing people who are undeserving like some of you.

The problem is, you may be griefing for different reasons, but you are still griefing. You dont have any moral highground lol. For all you know the 'jerks' you are griefing only yoinked your kill because you were being a jerk in the first place.

Honestly, I dont consider someone who yoinks me a jerk (unless they literally kill me to do it), its annoying, but whatever.

There's nothing hypocritical about what I am doing. From the beginning it's an anti jerk policy, what would be hypocritical is if I denounced you guys for holding the objective and then went and did it myself. But to prove I am no hypocrite I absolutely welcome you to start griefing jerks using my methods.

Well its hypocritical to denounce on people who act like jerks and then go and act like a jerk in a different manner.

Dani said:
Of the shipping multiplayer maps that are worked into the campaign, these maps were the worst in terms of integration.

Countdown - whilst the Sabre blast-off was fantastic, you only spend a few seconds walking into the Countdown area. A few seconds. That's it.

Boardwalk - you walk from one end of the map to the other walk out a door. There's no action at all and it's right at the start of the level so you quickly forget about it.

Reflection - a shoehorned in mini quest. It's dark. You rush in and out fast as possible. The objective tries to force you spend the least amount of time in the area. Buggers, the least fun enemy type in game, are there to ensure your swiftness.

They at least tried to make the other multiplayer maps meaningful in the campaign as you spend some time in Sword Base, Powerhouse and even Boneyard and Spire.

I hope 343 never repeat this particular development scheme.

Agree, it just seemed pointless incorporating the maps. Was it ever fully explained why they insisted to include the MP maps in campaign?

Ramirez said:
lol, you all shouldn't let Stephen string you along like this. He's been exposed as a fraud Halo white knight, just leave it at that. At least Noobs has tried to get into the discussion, Stephen makes no attempt to become a part of the community, just ignore him...

On a lighter note...here's my prints I picked up, hopefully the picks don't come out huge.

smokingindoors.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

Wow, where did you get those? They are seriously amazing looking, Im jealous.

Dani said:
Two feet? Wow, bet they'll look sweet when framed up.

BTW, who here has the most Assassinations? Just curious. I'm currently at 909 in multiplayer.

1,149 Assassinations for me. Yikes. Guess its obvious I like em.

Farooq

Banned
thezerofire said:

This makes me mad. I remember Bungie saying the animation was longer in a podcast and I just kept asking my self.....Why? Why? Why?

There were things wrong with the the Halo 3 melee. The massive lunge, auto aim, trades. But the animation time was great.

Farooq said:
This makes me mad. I remember Bungie saying the animation was longer in a podcast and I just kept asking my self.....Why? Why? Why?

There were things wrong with the the Halo 3 melee. The massive lunge, auto aim, trades. But the animation time was great.
it was instantaneous, so good. If only it didn't have as much lunge and auto aim.

Woorloog

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:
1,149 Assassinations for me. Yikes. Guess its obvious I like em.
Thinking of Assassinations, i just remembered one thing. My friend likes Snipers. That's because how easy it is to assassinate people there. He usually has some 4-6 assassinations depening on map, and i think he has managed to get at least 3 in Hemorrhage Snipers. And once he had nothing but beat downs, pummels and assassinations and had team's best KD spread as well (at 1 though, we lost badly).

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Falcon would be passable if they allowed it to carry a passenger, or two. Warthog of the sky, amirite?
The frustrating part is, it can carry passangers in Campaign. I had a game the other night where my co-op partner hopped into the seat next to the gunner seat by accident. It's not needed in Campaign, but would be really handy in MP.

Woorloog

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The frustrating part is, it can carry passangers in Campaign. I had a game the other night where my co-op partner hopped into the seat next to the gunner seat by accident. It's not needed in Campaign, but would be really handy in MP.
Frankly, it might be too handy even. Two gunners, good pilot, bomb/flag being carried... True, a missile or two or a laser drops the whole thing but if your team manages to keep those in check... True, you could argue that then the team with Falcon deserves a plant but considering how pitiful team work often is and how ofter people waste rockets or laser on something non-essential...
Still, i'd like to have a passenger seated Falcon as well.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
It would work wonderfully for BTB and Invasion. Quite unfortunate, really. Otherwise I like the vehicle.

Have one pilot, of course, and if there's a passenger, only allow one gunner. Otherwise two machine guns can be used.

thezerofire said:
it was instantaneous, so good. If only it didn't have as much lunge and auto aim.
Its lunge was terribly long and also inconsistent. Sometimes I will attempt to melee a player, but it will either lunge completely or just swing.

Striker said:
Its lunge was terribly long and also inconsistent. Sometimes I will attempt to melee a player, but it will either lunge completely or just swing.
yeah, unfortunately. The animation was great though.

Woorloog

Banned
squidhands said:
Should have been allowed to upgrade from III's to II's once we hit a certain rank, lol.
Lol. But we should've startes as Marines/Army troopers, upgraded to ODSTs, then Spartan III and then Spartan II and finally Johnson.

Top Bottom