• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Dani said:
Two feet? Wow, bet they'll look sweet when framed up.

BTW, who here has the most Assassinations? Just curious. I'm currently at 909 in multiplayer.

I have 9. My greatest accomplishment in Reach is getting my own showstopper. I doubt I'll ever top that.

Farooq

Banned
thezerofire said:
I just right click "quote" and open each one I want to quote in a new tab and copy/paste. If there is a better way I'd love to hear it.

And yes, it's optional technically, but a lot of the time you can just hit melee and get locked into an animation you didn't want to start

Another reason why they were a shitty addition to Halo.

The backsmack was embarrassing enough, it didn't need a long animation sequence. Slows gameplay down, and just takes me out of the game.

"Oh I got assassinated now I have to wait 3 seconds plus the re spawn time to spawn again."

Woorloog

Banned
Striker said:
The best two new weapons, the grenade launcher and plasma launcher, are two that should be kept and be introduced in Halo 4. The plasma launcher is pretty damn solid for a fight-for neutral weapon in BTB maps. And unlike Rockets and its large splash damage in Halo 3 and Reach, would work better in 4v4 map variants.
And those. Grenade Launcher, Falcon, Assassinations... I don't really like the retail Reach Plasma Launcher but with some tweaking it'd be good. I agree, keep this stuff for Halo 4.

Gui_PT said:
I swear to god, HaloGAF is getting worse with the complaining as time goes by. Maybe it's the new members or maybe the senior members are getting old, but this is depressing.
If anything I'd argue Assassinations should be integrated more in subsequent games.

Add more animations and tie them to ranks and such so you can unlock more and add more 'personality' to your killings. Even things like being able to choose an animation that goes on for a bit longer but looks so much more awesome would be pretty sweet.

Hey You

Sikamikanico said:
God, I wish 343 would reduce shit like Infection (which has consistently the highest population in Reach) to DEXP Weekend playlists.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. What I do know is that I hate seeing Infection with the highest population. I get it, its sometimes fun, but it's just damaging the overall population.
We should remove Team/Squad Slayer because its taking away from Objective and hurting the overall population.

Striker

Woorloog said:
And those. Grenade Launcher, Falcon, Assassinations... I don't really like the retail Reach Plasma Launcher but with some tweaking it'd be good. I agree, keep this stuff for Halo 4.
Falcon would be passable if they allowed it to carry a passenger, or two. Warthog of the sky, amirite?

cory021

Neo Member
I've got 217 assassinations, though I'm sure a decent percentage is against AFK players. I usually try and stay away from melee combat.

Woorloog

Banned
Dani said:

BTW, who here has the most Assassinations? Just curious. I'm currently at 909 in multiplayer.
Competitive+Invasion: 360 Assassinations and 467 beat downs. Damn... need to assassinate more people.
I don't like beat down, i'd rather that you can melee them or assassinate them, no instant melee at all.

Also 74 yoinks and 21 showstoppers.

Ramirez

Dani said:

That's a rough estimate, it's a good size though, it dwarfs the other one.

Farooq

Banned
Gui_PT said:
But there's no animation for that!

And why are people complaining about assassinations? They're super short and they're optional.

Why complain about something you don't have to do?

I swear to god, HaloGAF is getting worse with the complaining as time goes by. Maybe it's the new members or maybe the senior members are getting old, but this is depressing.

I just think they were an unnecessary addition.

Among the reasons I stated, I have one more. I makes the game feel sloppy, less refined.

I guess I am just a Halo purist and rather forgo all the bullshit that does not really add anything substantial to gameplay.

IMO assassination animations were an attempt to cater to the CoD/Gears crowd. Halo didn't need it.

Gui_PT said:
Maybe then you'll learn not to leave your back unchecked?

If you play Halo, you are bound to get assassinated. I rather it be a quick backspack, than a 3 second animation.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
You lost me, sir. I can count the number of good, non-remake, non-Forge World maps on the bad hand of a high school shop teacher. I certainly respect your opinion, but I feel that Bungie's concept just plain didn't work out. The repetition/quality ratio is too skewed in the wrong direction for me to ever want to see it again.

edit: those are all awesome, Devo. Guests Don't Get Me Down would be a tough one, lol

A stinker is a map that sucks at all gametypes and earns a veto instantly from me no matter the gametype.

Isolation was an attempt at a Beaver Creek-style map with more verticality, and it just didn't work for any gametype, not even Infection, due 60% of the map being the high ground and not enough safe spaces to spawn other people and no reason to leave the top middle once it had been gained, since BRs and shotty would respawn 2 feet from you and you had complete coverage over Sniper spawn. In Oddball and Infection, the bases with one entire entrance were the perfect camping spot.

I would have made Isolation like this, with a few more tweaks:

eNtKs.jpg

The sniper bridge connects the two hills of the map, the base windows become open doors, BAM.

I don't veto any shipping map in Reach just for the map, I veto when they try to put gametypes on maps that don't really work well for that map.

Farooq said:
I just think they were an unnecessary addition.

Among the reasons I stated, I have one more. I makes the game feel sloppy, less refined.

I guess I am just a Halo purist and rather forgo all the bullshit that that does not really add anything substantial to gameplay.

IMO assassination animations were an attempt to cater to the CoD/Gears crowd. Halo didn't need it.

I know that feel bro.

Woorloog

Banned
Farooq said:
I could not imagine assassinations in COD. They fit Halo very well, though i do wonder how even a Spartan can slip a knife through that armor.

Farooq

Banned
Woorloog said:
I could not imagine assassinations in COD. They fit Halo very well, though i do wonder how even a Spartan can slip a knife through that armor.

Just because they were not in CoD, does not mean it would not attract the same people who like CoD.

I feel like I am treading dangerous ground by stereotyping an entire community.

Woorloog

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I don't veto any shipping map in Reach just for the map, I veto when they try to put gametypes on maps that don't really work well for that map.
And what combinations do work?
Can't think a single objective mode in any Reach map that's actually fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
A stinker is a map that sucks at all gametypes and earns a veto instantly from me no matter the gametype.

Isolation was an attempt at a Beaver Creek-style map with more verticality, and it just didn't work for any gametype, not even Infection, due 60% of the map being the high ground and not enough safe spaces to spawn other people and no reason to leave the top middle once it had been gained, since BRs and shotty would respawn 2 feet from you and you had complete coverage over Sniper spawn. In Oddball and Infection, the bases with one entire entrance were the perfect camping spot.

I would have made Isolation like this, with a few more tweaks:

ssssss.jpg

The sniper bridge connects the two hills of the map, the base windows become open doors, BAM.

Fixed.

Yoink betrayal arguments are hilarious and stephen08 has a warped sense of ethics but i dislike the tension in gaf, so as a hilarious distraction i present to you Myself!.
QPwiV.jpg

Any other gaffers wanna join me in posting pics ?

also, if anyone is playing reach, inv!

Woorloog

Banned
Farooq said:
Just because they were not in CoD, does not mean it would not attract the same people who like CoD.

I feel like I am treading dangerous ground by stereotyping an entire community.
I don't get this... How would assassination, ie melee thing attrack people from COD that's run'n'gun game and very fast one to a slower shooter?
As someone who hates knife running in MW2, i'd say assassinations would probably repulse me if i were only-COD player.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn near everyone posted pics in the last OT. Did you miss that? More are welcome, tho!

I was kinda hoping we'd get a string of HaloGAF beard pics a few pages back, but I guess that'll have to wait for OT7.

Now that's a stinker, Dani.

omg.kittens said:
Damn near everyone posted picks in the last OT. Did you miss that? More are welcome, tho!

I was kinda hoping we'd get a string of HaloGAF beard pics a few pages back, but I guess that'll have to wait for OT7.

Sorry to disappoint maybe when i hit puberty
Beard why you no grow :(

omg.kittens said:
Damn near everyone posted pics in the last OT. Did you miss that? More are welcome, tho!

I keep picking hairs outta my beard and it's been pretty thin ever since. Damn you habits! (anyone else victim of such habits). I'll post a pic later after I go out in Mexico City! Whoop!

I may not be the first to think of or post this, but even moderately destructible environments in Halo 4 means a fully dynamic lighting system. You can't do destructible environments with lightmaps :)

Woorloog

Banned
Im_So_Pringles said:
I may not be the first to think of or post this, but even moderately destructible environments in Halo 4 means a fully dynamic lighting system. You can't do destructible environments with lightmaps :)
Correction: you can but the press and public reaction will be interesting. Sort of...

Farooq

Banned
Woorloog said:
I don't get this... How would assassination, ie melee thing attrack people from COD that's run'n'gun game and very fast one to a slower shooter?
As someone who hates knife running in MW2, i'd say assassinations would probably repulse me if i were only-COD player.

Okay in my experience playing CoD. There are a whole lot of youths. Youths, who like superfluous things. Things like unnecessary assassination animations that make you feel like a badass, but you are really not.

I see the holes in my argument. I don't have any evidence to prove that Bungie decided to add animations to attract the CoD/Gears crowd. This just my feeling.

Feeling based on every other addition Bungie has added to Reach. I will not get into it, because I know for a fact it has already been discussed to death in the previous OT's, and a junior bringing it up again is probably not a good idea.

Woorloog

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
No one online, heckfu is being a slut.
Rumble Pit time, brace for impact gaf
I'd come online but i fear i'd get stuck playing... it's already almost midnight here.

(besides i think i claimed to suffer from Halo burnout a few pages back, i can't reverse that this fast now can i?)

Woorloog

Banned
Farooq said:
Okay in my experience playing CoD. There are a whole lot of youths. Youths, who like superfluous things. Things like unnecessary assassination animations that make you feel like a badass, but you are really not.

I see the holes in my argument. I don't have any evidence to prove that Bungie decided to add animations to attract the CoD/Gears. This just my feeling.

Feeling based on every other addition Bungie has added to Reach. I will not get into it, because I know for a fact it has already been discussed to death in the previous OT's, and a junior bringing it up again is probably not a good idea.
Considering how slow Reach is, even slower than Halo 3, i think adding a few superfluos things is not trying to get COD/GOW crowd to play Halo. Well, i don't know about GOW though... Actually, i wonder to whom Reach is aimed. Slow for players of previous Halos, slow for COD crowd, too small scale for BF players...
Which reminds me, i need to buy them (used/cheap). I never finished the first one. All right but nothing memorable but considering it's one of 360's flagship titles, i need to play it.

Gui_PT

In my opinion, they just thought Assassinations were fun and decided to put them in.

Many of you don't know this, but Halo is mostly about having fun.

Woorloog

Banned
Gui_PT said:
In my opinion, they just thought Assassinations were fun and decided to put them in.

*frowns* Are you high or something? What say you people, is Halo about having fun?
Last i checked it was forbidden.

EDIT bad joke and i can't think of turning it funny.
Reach does try to make the experience rather unfunny in many ways though.

PooBone

StalkerUKCG said:
Sorry to disappoint maybe when i hit puberty
Beard why you no grow :(
I have the opposite curse. I have a beard because if I didn't I'd literally have to shave every single day. My hair and beard grow so fast you'd think I bathe in Miracle Grow. If I shave in the morning, I look like a drunk bum the following morning and get told to go home and get some rest. LOL.

Gui_PT said:
I thought it was just meant to be an in-game teabag. So if someone wants to insult you and gets the drop on you, you have to wait an extra 2.5 seconds while they do it.

Sai-kun

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
No one online, heckfu is being a slut.
Rumble Pit time, brace for impact gaf

what else is new?

Also I just checked, I have 1092 Assassinations, counting Competitive, Arena, and Invasion. ~gold rear admiral~

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Somebody thought Hot Potato was fun.

Sai-kun said:
what else is new?

Also I just checked, I have 1092 Assassinations, counting Competitive, Arena, and Invasion. ~gold rear admiral~

There's an inappropriate joke for this moment but it escapes me.

TheOddOne said:
I can't believe I burst out laughing at these. Damn HaloGAF turning into comedy hour!

I almost burst out laughing to Dani's edit of Fyrewulff's map in class. HaloGAF has its moments, much of it is online too.

Sai-kun said:
what else is new?

Get on halo? i aint played with you yet!.

This goes to any other halogaf who i may or may not of played with. GT=StalkerUKCG Get on me bro's (femiBro's)

feel

lol dani!

StalkerUKCG said:
Any other gaffers wanna join me in posting pics ?
we did that recently

get to know the faces behind the bitching and the meltdowns
http://db.tt/a1hcavn

Gui_PT said:

I don't mind them, but I prefer the quick one so much more, the fast thud and faceplant just feels more satisfying to me than seeing a spartan just stop dead on his tracks waiting to get killed. Looks bad.

Woorloog

Banned
Top Bottom