• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

TheOddOne

Havok said:
It's atrocious without 5+ people in a party to swing the votes away from Big Team Slayer on Utopie and its ilk.
Damn. Gonna see how much of a trainwreck BTB is tomorrow, just to see if its as bad as people claim.

MrBig said:
I think it could actually work for invasion. It wouldn't detract from the map since its a remake and they'd be following the philosophy behind all the other remakes of including it exactly as it was.

Agreed, I'm secretly hoping for an Invasion variant of Headlong.

Steelyuhas said:
Agreed, I'm secretly hoping for an Invasion variant of Headlong.

Yeah this could work. Headlong does have a bunch of bridges that could be used to connect the phases. I think I would work perfectly for invasion.

Striker

It would have to be built as a regular map first, which is what we're getting, thankfully. I'm sure Spire, Boneyard, and Breakpoint (the most glaring one) would be better maps if they were at least created as BTB maps rather than strictly Invasion from the get-go. For example, if Breakpoint was built as an asymmetric map with a defensive base and ground work, and after that has been completed they opt to create an Invasion variant.

Willeth

Just went through the weekly again. LASOEB, three hours, top scorer due to the MAC cannon, total credits: less than 400.

Any chance of removing the non-matchmaking Campaign credit reduction in the TU, 343? Or maybe making a matchmaking lobby for weeklies like this that we can use as a party?

FyreWulff

Willeth said:
Just went through the weekly again. LASOEB, three hours, top scorer due to the MAC cannon, total credits: less than 400.

Any chance of removing the non-matchmaking Campaign credit reduction in the TU, 343? Or maybe making a matchmaking lobby for weeklies like this that we can use as a party?

I don't think it's ever been revealed if campaign matchmaking even supports skulls.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
I don't think it's ever been revealed if campaign matchmaking even supports skulls.
I'm sure it can. Each voting option is essentially a game type, and they would have to be updated via the same methods as other playlists. Meaning daily or weekly updates to provide an option or hopper for each Challenge. Probably not feasable from that standpoint rather than due to limitations on skulls being enabled.

Hopefully this is another area 343 can improve on, an easier to update matchmaking interface, and a better relationship between the playlists and Challenges, should Halo 4 feaure them (and I hope it does).

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sure it can. Each voting option is essentially a game type, and they would have to be updated via the same methods as other playlists. Meaning daily or weekly updates to provide an option or hopper for each Challenge. Probably not feasable from that standpoint rather than due to limitations on skulls being enabled.

Hopefully this is another area 343 can improve on, an easier to update matchmaking interface, and a better relationship between the playlists and Challenges, should Halo 4 feaure them (and I hope it does).

It'd be cool if it does, would like to see a Flagstravaganza style playlist for a week in campaign with a non-vanilla makeup of skulls and difficulties.

Heroic and Legendary only, Most skulls on (subtract Iron because griefing), put in a Super Jackpot, BAM

They have improved their backend ability to update the playlists considerably though. From what I overheard, updating Halo 2 playlists were an.. interesting operation.

Oh that'd be fun start up two weeklies instead of one. One could be a campaign one that a playlist would be made for.

The other one would be the MP grind for either MM or FF.

I feel so left out on campaign weeklies, because, really? Terrible terrible stuff.

oddworld18 said:
I haven't been keeping up with news - is Anniversary going to be there? Might be worth fighting my way downtown...
I don't know but there will be a limited Play-Arts Kai Halo figure(limited to 400pieces).

vhfive

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh that'd be fun start up two weeklies instead of one. One could be a campaign one that a playlist would be made for.

The other one would be the MP grind for either MM or FF.

I feel so left out on campaign weeklies, because, really? Terrible terrible stuff.
I like this idea.
I think 343 should do something with the challenges. They're getting stale, I don't even check them these days.

cory021

Neo Member
vhfive said:
I like this idea.
I think 343 should do something with the challenges. They're getting stale, I don't even check them these days.
There is going to be the friend challenges, which hopefully will be fun.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
I like this idea.
I'm curious about the Social Challenges announced at HaloFest. I managed to miss the only segment of the panel in which they were discussed, so I only know that they are coming. I don't recall reading anything about them elsewhere, but I might have missed them since I was offline most of HaloFest.

Havok

cory021 said:
There is going to be the friend challenges, which hopefully will be fun.
I think that, while a neat feature, those are only really going to be compelling for the general population if you can attach cR awards to them.

Ken

Hypertrooper said:
I don't know but there will be a limited Play-Arts Kai Halo figure(limited to 400pieces).

Do people actually like the Play-Arts Kai figures? I've found that most of them look too cheaply made for their asking price, and don't reflect the characters too accurately.

Quick edit. Get rid of invasion. I'm of the mindset that we need to just let failed gametypes die. The problem involves map size and the fact that even 8v8 games still feel sparsely populated. let it go bro. let it go. Let's focus on BTB maps and stop trying to make something bad work. Invasion is the perfect example of trying to do too much. There's just not enough maps, no point in trying to make maps, and the gametype itself isn't exciting enough to warrant all the effort.
bobs99 ... said:
In terms of campaign I agree.

In terms of multiplayer... lolwut!?? For me Reach doesnt even register as a Halo multiplayer game its so far down the scale.
It can only get better from here! I had some awful games today, mostly involving quitters... Or I'd have that one teammate that is just so bad that he might as well be AFK.

Then I had a game against some guests where I had a lame death at the beginning of the match and ended up going 20 and 1. I never get perfections. Silly rabbit. Perfections are for kids and deputy moonman is trash.

Also had multiple games today where everyone and their mom was using armor lock. It was some of the most painful games I've played yet. I can deal with 1 or 2 people on a team, but sometimes it feels as if it's all 4. I just want to vomit in a cup and dump it on someone's face.

Ken said:
Do people actually like the Play-Arts Kai figures? I've found that most of them look too cheaply made for their asking price, and don't reflect the characters too accurately.
I have 3 of them and they look badass. I like them. Much better than the McFarlane stuff...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I'm curious about the Social Challenges announced at HaloFest. I managed to miss the only segment of the panel in which they were discussed, so I only know that they are coming. I don't recall reading anything about them elsewhere, but I might have missed them since I was offline most of HaloFest.

Thanks to the new stats pipeline, you’ll be able to soon create custom challenges similar to the current daily and weekly challenges. With an online editor, you’ll be able to craft, challenge your friends, track and exchange them among your fellow battle bros. and enjoy challenges like never before.

Sounds like a web only feature. Sounds like you'd have to check into the Waypoint site to create, issue and track them. They weren't sure if there would be a cR payout, as it's still being looked at.

Ramirez said:
I'm holding out hope that Invasion goes to the chopping block for Halo 4.

It's so bad I think the few who really like the gametype should be the one's hoping. It's passable on Breakpoint but appalling in the playlist. Quitting occurs so frequently, which kills objective games, shotguns on spawn, Banshees, drop shields, an additional three seconds to spawn once you've selected a point, maps that are so poor they over arc and smear their mess all over a once great playlist in btb... it has to go. I really like Reach but Invasion was a grave error and as Ghaleon said, ruined btb just for good measure.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Thanks to the new stats pipeline, you’ll be able to soon create custom challenges similar to the current daily and weekly challenges. With an online editor, you’ll be able to craft, challenge your friends, track and exchange them among your fellow battle bros. and enjoy challenges like never before.

Sounds like a web only feature. Sounds like you'd have to check into the Waypoint site to create, issue and track them. They weren't sure if there would be a cR payout, as it's still being looked at.
I imagine if they were to award cR, they would have to link into the player service record in-game, which would mean it has to be part of the TU. Since that wasn't part of the TU, and we've had the definitive list, I'm guessing not.

Still, it's a step in the right direction and hopefully an indication of where Halo 4's system is going.

Also, what's the trick for getting into Waypoint forums when you're getting a Live ID error?

Retro

GhaleonEB said:

Did I not just post a couple days ago that I would love to see a Firefight map based on the "Halo" level from CE with all the dropships and marines?

It was the only map out of the seven choices that didn’t create even the slightest amount of contention. Both groups immediately agreed the aptly named level “Halo” was perfect because its encounter design is quintessential Firefight. There’s a defendable base, and the fictional premise is trying to survive several waves of Covenant attack. The only decision left to make was which specific encounter should be built into the Firefight map. The Cliffside tower was the clear winner for several different reasons: the size of the space, the room you have to maneuver, and the flexibility of the area in regard to where the AI can enter. It’s also the most malleable of the spaces.

A27_StarWolf said:
What if Reach kills headlong for you?

Then I would stay away from BTB like I normally do unless the party is huge.

Also I don't know if this just happens in games I'm in but I notice the host switch far more often when everyone is green and I've been in games where it's yellow and stays that way the entire game. I don't get it.

Top Bottom