• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Farooq

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I think that would add a cool interactive element to Assault. Every bomb explosion the base changes.

Another cool thing ( I think its possible now...) is to have multiple bomb points. It would be like Search and Destroy without the limited lives.

But if you can mess around with Megalo and allow someone to have a bomb and use their weapon.... we can actually make Search and Destroy.

It was possible in Halo 3. Not sure about Reach though.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
I think that would add a cool interactive element to Assault. Every bomb explosion the base changes.

Another cool thing ( I think its possible now...) is to have multiple bomb points. It would be like Search and Destroy without the limited lives.

But if you can mess around with Megalo and allow someone to have a bomb and use their weapon.... we can actually make Search and Destroy.
Semi-related post-work stupor thought, but I always thought it would be neat to have a hybrid CTF/Assault game type. You still score by capping flags, but detonating bombs at certain points outside the base blows them open and makes them more permeable.

Surely some other game has a mode like this?

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Semi-related post-work stupor thought, but I always thought it would be neat to have a hybrid CTF/Assault game type. You still score by capping flags, but detonating bombs at certain points outside the base blows them open and makes them more permeable.

Any game with dynamic destruction can do this. e.g. battlefield. It's cool for those kind of games, but halo is an arena shooter with consistent playing fields. They may taste great separately, but not together.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Any game with dynamic destruction can do this. e.g. battlefield. It's cool for those kind of games, but halo is an arena shooter with consistent playing fields. They may taste great separately, but not together.
I figured as much, I don't play those games.

Don't agree about consistent playing fields, though. Opening up Zanzibar/Last Resort gates and wheel bridge, Relic teleporter, High Ground gate, etc. Interactive elements on Halo maps have often been great features, and while I wouldn't want a Halo game focused around them, I would like to see interactive elements return after Reach's entirely static crop. Using a bomb to open a path into a base vs. hitting a switch to open a gate into the base isn't that big of a shift, IMO.

VVV

I wasn't talking about destructibility. I was talking about having an arming zone in two places ala Invasion, with the flag already available. Successful arms make getting into the base easier, as hitting the switch on High Ground did.

Really, I just want interactive elements back. I loved sub-objectives like opening up the base on High Ground or Last Resort, and how they changed the way the rest of the game played.

Booshka

Let's just worry about getting good maps on the Disc for Halo games before we think about how to blow them up.

I prefer the consistency and Arena style of Halo maps. With destructibility, it would turn Halo into a different type of MP shooter.

Farooq

Banned
FyreWulff said:
The latest matchmaking Assault variant fully supports multiple arm points.

3 did it but it was kind of broken

Thanks for the clarification.

How was it broken in 3? Worked fine in the customs I played.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:

If I had access to Megalo, I think this would be possible, since Invasion technically does this if you make a bomb round (unfortunately you cannot make it two-sided)

Spawn each team a flag and a bomb.

The bombs are taken to BOMB_PLANT with an assigned team and Spawn Sequence.

Anything you want to disappear when the bomb is planted is labeled BOMB_TARGET. BOMB_TARGETS that have the same spawn sequence as the BOMB_PLANT will be deleted upon arming.

Farooq said:
Thanks for the clarification.

How was it broken in 3? Worked fine in the customs I played.

3 didn't tell you someone was arming in non-instant arm mode and sometimes it decided that only one spawn point was valid. You could also only define up to 3 arm spots (probably left over from the dropped 4-way objective support), I believe Reach supports an unlimited amount for each team with the latest Assault variant, but I haven't tried to go past two arm spots yet..

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
If I had access to Megalo, I think this would be possible, since Invasion technically does this if you make a bomb round (unfortunately you cannot make it two-sided)

Spawn each team a flag and a bomb.

The bombs are taken to BOMB_PLANT with an assigned team and Spawn Sequence.

Anything you want to disappear when the bomb is planted is labeled BOMB_TARGET. BOMB_TARGETS that have the same spawn sequence as the BOMB_PLANT will be deleted upon arming.
Right, that's basically what I was trying to describe, not fully (or even partially) destructible environments.

FyreWulff said:
3 didn't tell you someone was arming in non-instant arm mode and sometimes it decided that only one spawn point was valid. You could also only define up to 3 arm spots (probably left over from the dropped 4-way objective support), I believe Reach supports an unlimited amount for each team with the latest Assault variant.
Were I still Forging, I'd totally build a map around this. I designed two maps with multiple arming zones in mind, only to learn of the limitation.

I always wanted to build a game type called Three Bomb, where each base had two (far apart) arming zones, and each team spawns with one bomb assigned to their team. But there's also a neutral bomb on the map in the center, to fight over.

Karl2177 said:
Marty's music can be applied anywhere and have it be awesome. I was playing this as I went through the Appalachians. So good.
You beat me to it. Marty is capable of wonders. The "Pursuit of Truth" portion of the soundtrack puts me in awe every time I hear it.

Retro

Karl2177 said:
Marty's music can be applied anywhere and have it be awesome. I was playing this as I went through the Appalachians. So good.

I was 9 hours into a 13 hour drive, in the middle of Ohio (flat, straight and wide for almost the entire state), at night, trying to keep ahead of an ice storm that was swooping in right behind me. I started to feel road fatigue, so I did what any self-respecting gamer would do.

I flipped on my radar detector, set my iPod to repeat the Halo theme, cranked it up loud and drove my Warthog truck at a much higher rate of speed than one would expect such a vehicle to be capable of.

Ohio? More like O-bye-O.

Hey You

Yay! Now my Gamertag is attached to the right WLID on the Waypoint forums (atleast just on the Gamma forums).

When they said popular forum software, I was hoping Vbulletin.

Lazslo

Oh wow it's awesome they put that Giant billboard of the SuperIntendent in Headlong, I guess it's set in New Mombasaa. My IPhone ringtone is still the phone ringing tone in ODST from two years ago. Loved that game, good to see that dumb A.I's face again.

Striker said:
Valhalla, another example, is similar. Just not a very good base design for 8v8. Too small, cramped, and leads to things like that (Shotgunning, lots of melee and grenade spam).

Loved Coag and Waterwork's base work.
Aha. The bases on Coagulation were just as cramped, if not more so, than the bases on Valhalla. What made it even worse was the placement of the shotguns right outside the bases.

I enjoyed reading about Installation 04. Really looking forward to the map.

As for teleporters vs. mancannons, mancannon wins hands down. Much more exciting to use, and adds an element of danger.

Lazslo said:
Oh wow it's awesome they put that Giant billboard of the SuperIntendent in Headlong, I guess it's set in New Mombasaa. My IPhone ringtone is still the phone ringing tone in ODST from two years ago. Loved that game, good to see that dumb A.I's face again.
Where did you get the ring tone? That's an awesome idea.

I always wanted to change my text received and text outgoing to the SuperIntendent sounds as well but that requires jailbreaking my phone apparently and that's just too much work for different bleeps and bloops.

PNut

Banned
Haven't read the Bulletin yet but was there any info about playlist updates? Race needs its on playlist by now. Everyone knows customs are dead in Reach because it doesn't payout the precious cR's. How hard can it be to put a dozen or so Race maps in a playlist and be done with it. It seems like the easiest playlist in the world to make. Am I missing something?

In the meantime add PNut d kidnaper for Race customs.

reggie said:
The Coagulation bases were perfect. The extra level makes a massive difference.
Eh. Nothing really happened in the bottom half from what I remember (at least compared to the top half). All the action happened where the flag was.

Havok

Dax01 said:
Eh. Nothing really happened in the bottom half from what I remember (at least compared to the top half). All the action happened where the flag was.
The bottom was the primary stealth route - you grab their shotgun when it spawns and head up the lift, or grab the Magnum (I think) that was down there for a deadly DW combo. There were so many ways into and out of that base. Hemo bases allow for very little stealth, which I think Valhalla did moderately well (but not as well as Coag). That element of stealth worked wonderfully with the cave that had camo in the pool - those powerups on the sides encouraged people to periodically gravitate towards them, leaving the middle for great vehicle combat with the occasional rocket rush.

Hey You

Lazslo said:
Glad that Bungie let them use the Superintendent.

Ramirez

Havok said:

tumblr_lf08rlevNy1qfaqx0o1_400.gif

Ramirez said:

lol

Anyone hazard a guess at the names of the Headlong and Hang 'Em High remakes?

Unforgiven.

heckfu said:
Sai and I are on if anyone is down for a little dongblaining.
I think Sai is mad at me for booting him yesterday (even though the only reason he remembered is because I brought it up to apologize for doing it).

Hey You

GhaleonEB said:
As soon as I saw SI stuff in CEA, I wondered whether Bungie still owned the trademark to him. It used to show up on Bungie's trademarks page, but no longer does.
Interesting, I wonder if A)Microsoft bought it from them B)Bungie didn't actually own it C) They just didn't include it on that page for whatever reason.

Havok said:
The bottom was the primary stealth route - you grab their shotgun when it spawns and head up the lift, or grab the Magnum (I think) that was down there for a deadly DW combo. There were so many ways into and out of that base. Hemo bases allow for very little stealth, which I think Valhalla did moderately well (but not as well as Coag). That element of stealth worked wonderfully with the cave that had camo in the pool - those powerups on the sides encouraged people to periodically gravitate towards them, leaving the middle for great vehicle combat with the occasional rocket rush.
I remember hardly ever using the bottom area as a stealth approach because I was frequently killed trying to use the back of the base.

And what you seem to like about Coagulation is something I didn't: pushing infantry movement to the sides to the sides of the map, thereby limiting players. If you were without a vehicle, the middle was a death trap for you. It's the same situation for Hemorrhage. Valhalla did a good job of encouraging players to use every part of the map.

Havok

Dax01 said:
I remember hardly ever using the bottom area as a stealth approach because I was frequently killed trying to use the back of the base.

And what you seem to like about Coagulation is something I didn't: pushing infantry movement to the sides to the sides of the map, thereby limiting players. If you were without a vehicle, the middle was a death trap for you. It's the same situation for Hemorrhage. Valhalla did a good job of encouraging players to use every part of the map.
That's valid. I never felt that it was a huge issue in Coag just because vehicles weren't the monstrously powerful (in terms of kill times) things that they were in 3 and Reach, to a certain extent. Most of the time you'd only want to go into the open to grab rockets, and there was plenty of cover nearby to help you out. Highlands does a pretty similar thing to Coag, though, to pretty great effect. There's more vertical cover on Highlands, but most of the time it wasn't a huge issue unless you chose to go out in the open, like the areas directly in front of the base. That's what Hemo does wrong - it forces you out in the middle of nowhere by spawning you there. I guess I just don't feel that Valhalla is a great vehicle map. It's a nice hybrid, but it always felt cramped whenever we tried to do an offensive rush. Avalanche was much better in this regard, and it often played out the same way as Coag and Highlands - the vehicle tracks were fairly devoid of cover because there was no incentive for infantry to go out there, and I don't see that as a problem.
GhaleonEB said:
As soon as I saw SI stuff in CEA, I wondered whether Bungie still owned the trademark to him. It used to show up on Bungie's trademarks page, but no longer does.
That's very strange indeed. Bungie still owns Marathon and its related iconography, right? I wonder if they just don't have game-specific trademarks on there.

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think they have the trademark anymore, but they still have it copyrighted. I just assume they gave 343i permission.

Here's a question - will we ever see a Bungie-made map pack for Halo 4? I'd guess no (just from a schedule perspective), but it would be a pretty weird role reversal.

HiredN00bs said:
lol

Anyone hazard a guess at the names of the Headlong and Hang 'Em High remakes?

Unforgiven.

Hang 'em High - Rawhide (or Maverick)
Headlong - Abandoned (or Reckless)

Kuroyume

Banned
Valhalla's problem was that it did everything poorly.

Inferior bases compared to Coag. Mancannons stunk. I would put the blame on that on the asymmetrical map design. The hill in the middle sucked for the team facing towards the beach side because it would land you underneath a hill. Easy pickings for nades and DMRs. I can't remember what they did with the teleporters or bubble shield on that map but I recall either of them being surrounded by fusion cores which I thought was retarded. One in a long list of things that Reach did better than Halo 3. Halo 3 has freaking fusion cores on every inch of each map. Hanging on walls of Construct. WTF? lol Also, the laser... One of the worst weapons in Halo. Spawning was horrendous on it but that has been a problem with Halo since 3.

I really don't like that map. It's not Spire or Foundry bad but coming from Coag I was really annoyed with it. Had so much fun with Coag and not nearly as much fun with Valhalla. As many have pointed out that extra base is essential. As for Hemmorhage I hate it. Part of that mostly has to do with the Forgeworld. It's ugly. I'm also not too crazy about the dimensions. I wonder why they couldn't just do an actual remake.

Top Bottom