• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok

TheOddOne said:
Is BTB that bad nowadays? Been playing Team Slayer exclusively but wanted to jump back to that playlist.
It's atrocious without 5+ people in a party to swing the votes away from Big Team Slayer on Utopie and its ilk.

Gui_PT said:
I still don't understand why people complain about Spire.

Srsly, try 1 Bomb on Spire and then tell me how much it sucks.
Absolute garbage, dominated by jerks camping the 'base' with the Fuel Rod Gun, a weapon that should never be near multiplayer session. Combine that with the stupidly huge layout, something that could be easily fixed with the shield doors that you see in Invasion plus soft kill zones, jetpack jerks hiding on top of the big rocks with sniper, and a stupidly-quick-respawn Banshee and you have a recipe for one of the worst multiplayer experiences to date.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
I've never had a game on Spire that even bordered on fun. I don't ever recall playing 1-Bomb on it, though. Just Invasion, BTB snipers, 1-Flag, Slayer.

Good for you. I'll honestly say it's the worst thing I've ever played in any of the Halos.

Havok said:
Absolute garbage, dominated by jerks camping the 'base' with the Fuel Rod Gun, a weapon that should never be near multiplayer session. Combine that with the stupidly huge layout, something that could be easily fixed with the shield doors that you see in Invasion plus soft kill zones, jetpack jerks hiding on top of the big rocks with sniper, and a stupidly-quick-respawn Banshee and you have a recipe for one of the worst multiplayer experiences to date.

This. You were too kind with your words though.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
Thing is, the default maps are not really better. Paradiso, Spire, Boneyard and Hemhorrage? Wayont has a lot of problems, but I'll take it over Spire and Paradiso.

I really hope the lesson of matching game type scope to map development budget is one 343 takes. Including Invasion and then having it cannibalize BTB was really unfortunate.
Take what I said earlier and make Invasion more Firefight-like. FF is currently really defensive, give it micro objectives that the Covenant have to defend. I think it could be cool for future titles.

I like Abridged(at times), and I think that's it. I don't even remember the rest of them because they are pretty shitty.

Woorloog

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
I read somewhere (somewhere unreliable) that all the new HCE maps have a full forge palette like Tempest.

Did you guys read or hear that anywhere?
Tempest has fun palette? It's ForgeWorld copy... though arguably way better than other palettes.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
I read somewhere (somewhere unreliable) that all the new HCE maps have a full forge palette like Tempest.

I'd expect Timberlands to have the Forgeworld pieces. Not so sure about the other maps, but as long as we can block off doorways and such to change flow and omit rooms, I'll be happy.

Just no more developer-only objects like Condemned, please.

Woorloog said:
Tempest has fun palette? It's ForgeWorld copy... though arguably way better than other palettes.

I wish it was possible to backport Rock Spire 3 to Forge World. It's a lot more useful than Rock Seastack.

Havok

The Real Napsta said:

During the multiplayer panel, Max said something along the lines that Forge would be better supported on the CEA maps than the Defiant pack. Given the palette for Defiant, that doesn't mean a full palette. That's about all I've heard.

vhfive

The Real Napsta said:

Might get me interested in forging again if it isn't just the forgeworld palette

Ramirez said:
I'm holding out hope that Invasion goes to the chopping block for Halo 4.
+1

JB1981

Ramirez said:

anyone else really surprised by its popularity? the playlist always has a pretty good amount of people playing. not sure i have ever had fun playing it, though.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
I kind of hope the concept - phases with different objectives - gets pushed into the core game type options, and Invasion removed as a stand-alone. That or flesh it out so phases can be build to be more dynamic, not just 1-Bomb, Territories and 1-Flag. But if it's not fleshed out in some way, or the map budget boosted so it doesn't cannibalize other maps, I'd like to see it go. I just get sort of sad knowing that Invasion is part of the reason BTB is so poor in Reach.

Striker

TheOddOne said:
Is BTB that bad nowadays? Been playing Team Slayer exclusively but wanted to jump back to that playlist.
I much rather play BTB than most playlists nowdays. If I have 2-3 people on and there isn't Arena to play, or a seldom Classic or Premium playlist, I always opt to BTB. The saving grace I get from there is getting Hemorrhage to come up because it's oft voted for in the highest percentage.

Breakpoint and Spire are the lone 1-flag and 1-bomb maps, which hurt its variety, like it did for Halo 3. Seems like 1-flag Hemorrhage is showing up more often lately, and those are frequently 0-0 because you need a couple players at least in the red base to take out the Shotgun in the base, plus players outside shooting in. But you'll find those guys smacking each other at their own base for a weapon or standing on the mountain side.

I would love for DLC to be required, but it won't. Unfortunate because Highlands will never get used for 8v8 under regular rules and I'm not optimistic Headlong from the CEA map pack will, either.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GhaleonEB said:
I've never had a game on Spire that even bordered on fun. I don't ever recall playing 1-Bomb on it, though. Just Invasion, BTB snipers, 1-Flag, Slayer.

Wow. I absolutely love Spire slayer. Going up to the top, then jetpacking down when someone goes to chase you is great.

feel

lol Tashi

Kuroyume said:
I'll take Spire in Halo 4 over Valhalla.
2mqnjtj.jpg

FyreWulff

Striker said:
I much rather play BTB than most playlists nowdays. If I have 2-3 people on and there isn't Arena to play, or a seldom Classic or Premium playlist, I always opt to BTB. The saving grace I get from there is getting Hemorrhage to come up because it's oft voted for in the highest percentage.

Breakpoint and Spire are the lone 1-flag and 1-bomb maps, which hurt its variety, like it did for Halo 3. Seems like 1-flag Hemorrhage is showing up more often lately, and those are frequently 0-0 because you need a couple players at least in the red base to take out the Shotgun in the base, plus players outside shooting in. But you'll find those guys smacking each other at their own base for a weapon or standing on the mountain side.

I would love for DLC to be required, but it won't. Unfortunate because Highlands will never get used for 8v8 under regular rules and I'm not optimistic Headlong from the CEA map pack will, either.

It's possible for BTB to become DLC required, because there's no BTB achievements.

Invasion is forever stuck with being unable to require DLC due to "Skunked!", "Be My Wingman, Anytime", and "Knife To A Gunfight" being disc achievements. Hence Premium Battle being your best bet to get Breakpoint Invasion, because the best they can do is make two Invasion playlists, once that requires DLC and one that doesn't.

If Headlong has a special variant for Invasion, perhaps we can get a special week-long playlist with Headlong and Breakpoint ONLY in Invasion (and no Invasion Slayer). Someone could make an Invasion map out of Highlands with some effort, too.

FyreWulff said:
It's possible for BTB to become DLC required, because there's no BTB achievements.

Invasion is forever stuck with being unable to require DLC due to "Skunked!", "Be My Wingman, Anytime", and "Knife To A Gunfight" being disc achievements. Hence Premium Battle being your best bet to get Breakpoint Invasion, because the best they can do is make two Invasion playlists, once that requires DLC and one that doesn't.

So...

No MP achievements in Halo 4 anyone? or at least save it for DLC.

The Real Napsta said:

I remember a few of us speculating that the Hang 'em High remake could be another FW-type blank slate for forging, but it's all hearsay.

But Max Hoberman did say that there would be unique forge pieces for the new maps. He didn't go into how many pieces/where we could forge.

Tempest did us a real disservice by not allowing us to forge over the water. Framerate is much better on the map than FW, but it's way more restrictive as to where we can forge.

Ash55's Lockout remake is insanely good, and the Tempest colors/lighting are very dramatic.

Havok

The Real Napsta said:
So...

This please. The asinine multiplayer achievements in Halo 3 that have since been replaced with asinine challenges (we won't influence players to change their behavior this time, promise!) are awful.

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:

If Headlong has a special variant for Invasion, perhaps we can get a special week-long playlist with Headlong and Breakpoint ONLY in Invasion (and no Invasion Slayer). Someone could make an Invasion map out of Highlands with some effort, too.

wat

Kuroyume

Banned
Just kidding about Spire... Valhalla sucks though.

Spire is such a strange map when you think about it. Huge in terms of not only horizontal space but you also have the giant base. Hell, there's another base on there that's hardly used except when people spawn on it every once in a while It's clunky. It's just a total mess in terms of having spaces that are rarely used. I kind of like the idea of the core area being so high. Looking down from there is kind of amusing sometimes. It's shame it just isn't fun though.

Invasion is just stupid. I don't know if they've changed the settings or not, but I like how they arm the defenders with the most powerful CQC weapons when it gets to the stage where people have to pull the core out. That makes a lot of sense.

MrBig

Ramirez said:
I think it could actually work for invasion. It wouldn't detract from the map since its a remake and they'd be following the philosophy behind all the other remakes of including it exactly as it was.

Hypertrooper said:
No, I didn't mean that. There is another one. Ehm.. OXM advertised it in the Halo CEA version with a Halo CE and Halo CEA graphic on a page for the Sep. 6.
The one with the gold cover right? Pretty sure I have it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
This.

Gears 3 is doing it now, in this vid mad world starts playing in the start of the 2nd round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbphZkgiFuA#t=108s

Really wish Halo did that in MP. I very much enjoyed it in ODST's firefight (it's probably there in Reach's too, don't really remember)

edit- Gears 3 looks so amazing. This console gen looked like it was peaking right at launch, but it has come so far.

Oh man, too much sex in one video for me to handle. Hoping to hit lvl 100 this weekend in Gears 2.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
Oh man, too much sex in one video for me to handle. Hoping to hit lvl 100 this weekend in Gears 2.

Give it up! Game is a turd, you should be proud to not have wasted enough time on such a horrible game to hit 100.

Sai-kun

Banned
Letters said:
This.

Gears 3 is doing it now, in this vid mad world starts playing in the start of the 2nd round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbphZkgiFuA#t=108s

Really wish Halo did that in MP. I very much enjoyed it in ODST's firefight (it's probably there in Reach's too, don't really remember)

edit- Gears 3 looks so amazing. This console gen looked like it was peaking right at launch, but it has come so far.

God that music is fucking terrible. It does not fit into the game at all. I like the idea of it, but Mad World was just such an awful choice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone else pick up Space Marine? Just got home with it, and felt like possibly going into multiplayer before anything else.

neoism

Farooq said:
I just think they were an unnecessary addition.

Among the reasons I stated, I have one more. I makes the game feel sloppy, less refined.

I guess I am just a Halo purist and rather forgo all the bullshit that does not really add anything substantial to gameplay.

IMO assassination animations were an attempt to cater to the CoD/Gears crowd. Halo didn't need it.

If you play Halo, you are bound to get assassinated. I rather it be a quick backspack, than a 3 second animation.
lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Lyphen said:
Anyone else pick up Space Marine? Just got home with it, and felt like possibly going into multiplayer before anything else.

Excuse me nobody here plays games that aren't Halo.

get out.gif

Recarpo

The Real Napsta said:
So...

Yes, please. I didn't mind some of the more general ones from reach, buy armor after reaching a certain level or just reach a certain level, but ones that are tied to individual gametypes are obnoxious. Although those 2 achievements weren't exclusively multiplayer, I guess.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Farooq said:
Reach isn't Halo.

I went there. lol.

Some of the worst gaming down-time is happening right now. We're stuck waiting for God tier Reach, there's no BF3 Beta date, and Gears 3 isn't out yet. Strongest 'darkest before the dawn' yet.

Watch them all happen at once, haha.

Domino Theory said:
Some of the worst gaming down-time is happening right now. We're stuck waiting for God tier Reach, there's no BF3 Beta date, and Gears 3 isn't out yet. Strongest 'darkest before the dawn' yet.

Watch them all happen at once, haha.
I will not touch Reach after Gears hits until the beta playlists are out. Even now I play more Just Cause 2 than Reach

Ken

Domino Theory said:
Some of the worst gaming down-time is happening right
Not really, unless you dislike Deus Ex: HR, Dead Island, Space Marine, and Driver: SF. Should be enough to tide most people over until 9/20.

Ken said:
Not really, unless you dislike Deus Ex: HR, Dead Island, Space Marine, and Driver: SF. Should be enough to tide most people over until 9/20.
that involves spending money, of which little I have is going to games coming out after that

ElRenoRaven

The Real Napsta said:
So...

Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with no MP achievements in Halo 4. Honestly I hate the MP acievements in games. More so some of the Halo game's achievements. There are some that require real cooperation and let's be honest unless you have a full group on maybe both sides some of these are almost impossible.

Reminds me. I still need to get Halo 2 multiplayer ones and that one for legendary. GRRRRRRRRRR Just the thought of Halo 2 Legendary makes me want to stab people.

Ken said:
And there is even Resistance 3...
Now I'll get stoned because I posted a PS3 title
Otherwise too much games and too less money. :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ken said:

Multiplayer was my focus. I love Deus Ex, but I can't sit there and play it for 6 hours at a time. The only SP-focused game I've played at long lengths are Assassin's Creed II/Brothehood and Oblivion.

Ken

Domino Theory said:
Multiplayer was my focus. I love Deus Ex, but I can't sit there and play it for 6 hours at a time. The only SP-focused game I've played at long lengths are Assassin's Creed II/Brothehood and Oblivion.
The Space Marine OT seems to love the multiplayer. Might still be something to look into I guess.

thezerofire said:
that involves spending money, of which little I have is going to games coming out after that

cR4Gold

Recarpo

PsychoRaven said:
Reminds me. I still need to get Halo 2 multiplayer ones and that one for legendary. GRRRRRRRRRR Just the thought of Halo 2 Legendary makes me want to stab people.

I actually just reinstalled and started going through the campaign on legendary a couple weeks ago. Slowly progressing through but I'm only on the 4th level or so at this point. If you, or any of you halogaffers, want to play halo 2 shoot me a message and I'll gladly hop on.

Top Bottom