• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Next time we have enough people for BTB customs, can we try out my new Highlands variant?

Uplands (Current version: 1.2)

- Removed midfield teleporters.
- Added mancannons and central structure.

- Splaser and Plasma Launcher replaced with Grenade Launchers (which spawn at the old teleporter booths).
- New central splaser on the middle structure.
- Sniper at base replace with shotgun.
- Sniper moved to new location (sorta near the old shotgun spawn)
- Rocket spawn dropped a level to the gate area.

Here is a walkthrough video I rendered showing off the new weapon spawns and (more importantly) the new mancannon system.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
Next time we have enough people for BTB customs, can we try out my new Highlands variant?

Uplands (Current version: 1.2)

- Removed midfield teleporters.
- Added mancannons and central structure.

- Splaser and Plasma Launcher replaced with Grenade Launchers (which spawn at the old teleporter booths).
- New central splaser on the middle structure.
- Sniper at base replace with shotgun.
- Sniper moved to new location (sorta near the old shotgun spawn)
- Rocket spawn dropped a level to the gate area.

Here is a walkthrough video I rendered showing off the new weapon spawns and (more importantly) the new mancannon system.
I'd love to test it out.

One problem I have with it... rockets and shotties in the bases.

Yeah I feel like there needs to be more incentive to leave the bases on Highlands. I'd even throw in line of sight blockage so you can't look down at one base from the other. That just irks me. Whenever I'm red, I'm just chillin' by the cave since it looks right on the blue base and it's surroundings.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:
You removed the teleporters? Sounds like an abomination. If anything, Highlands needs more teleporters.

Teleporters > *

Teleporters are so.. cheap for player movement.

Was so happy when I saw Headlong now has a mancannon where the porter was in the leak video.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:

Was so happy when I saw Headlong now has a mancannon where the porter was in the leak video.

There's two versions of Headlong floating about in video form?

Mancannons are the better choice but sometimes they just don't work for what you want to do. Just make sure it balances the gameplay still.

Tawpgun

Dani said:
There's two versions of Headlong floating about in video form?
There's only the leak, and it had a mancannon in it. Maybe thats the Reach version of it. We might get a tele version for classic.

But put me in the camp that finds the mancannon there awesome.

Headlong's tele isn't bad because you can see both sides. I don't really like teleporters where you don't know if someone is coming out.

Also, I wonder if this can be added in a TU/Halo 4.... Telefragging.

And although this might be met with some controversy, I wouldn't be opposed to parking a vehicle on a teleporter to block it. Did it all the time in CE to limit enemies mobility. When it was done to us it became a mini objective to get it off.

Striker

FyreWulff said:

Depends on the map. Teleporters worked tremendously in Waterworks, Relic, and Coagulation. Didn't deter any player movement or strategy.

Devolution said:
Rehashing the big team discussion, all of the Reach btb maps suck.

Headlong we need you.
CEA Headlong won't be 8v8 in MM unless BTB becomes DLC required. My guess is it'll be like Highlands and just limited in playlists.

The Real Napsta said:
The mancannon seemed out of place on that map. I hope it plays well.

If there are two snipes like before, I'm not sure how I feel about a mancannon instead of a warp.

CEA Headlong won't be 8v8 in MM unless BTB becomes DLC required. My guess is it'll be like Highlands and just limited in playlists.

You sure? They could just have it to where it doesn't come up to vote unless people have it. What are they going to do with it otherwise? Stick it in premium battle?

FyreWulff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6fZtmEhGc

S8lOY.jpg

Striker said:
Depends on the map. Teleporters worked tremendously in Waterworks, Relic, and Coagulation. Didn't deter any player movement or strategy.

Oh don't get me wrong, they're not horrible.. but mancannons let you have an actual cost for expedited player movement. Not like I can talk, the map I submitted to CC has a teleporter on it.

If Halo 4 has any sort of Forge, it'd be nice if we could somehow get the 'scripted' mancannons like Bungie could do in Halo 3 where it could throw you lolhuge distances without having to worry about aiming it correctly.

So is there any word on gaf customs this saturday? We could test out the highlands map and I have a map that I would really like to test out.

Havok

Devolution said:
You sure? They could just have it to where it doesn't come up to vote unless people have it. What are they going to do with it otherwise? Stick it in premium battle?
That's tantamount to not putting it in at all, given the average BTB random. I think Highlands is technically in BTB, but it hasn't showed up once in three hundred games.

Retro

AlmostMilk said:
So is there any word on gaf customs this saturday? We could test out the highlands map and I have a map that I would really like to test out.

I too have a map I'd like some feedback on (5v5 max though): Beach 1.5 A few people said they'd give it a try but I never heard back so it must be terrible =).

Havok said:
That's tantamount to not putting it in at all, given the average BTB random. I think Highlands is technically in BTB, but it hasn't showed up once in three hundred games.

Oh lawd, is it possible to just make Headlong free.

Kuroyume

Banned
Teleporters are Halo and Halo 4 should have teleporters on every map that's not a remake of Lockout, Midship, Turf, Terminal, or the Pit.

Mancannons belong in Quake and have no place in Halo.

I like the feel of teleporters more.

Booshka

Kuroyume said:
Teleporters are Halo and Halo 4 should have teleporters on every map that's not a remake of Lockout, Midship, Turf, Terminal, or the Pit.

Mancannons belong in Quake and have no place in Halo.

I like the feel of teleporters more.
Only if you ask for Ladders back too.

Booshka said:
Only if you ask for Ladders back too.

I actually miss ladders only in the sense of Halo CE still having the best risk v reward, at least in my book. Not sure how well they'd play out in subsequent Halos.

Striker said:

Stop crushing my dreams about never seeing the CEA maps in MM. I'm attempting to forget that, so I can be excited about them.

Havok

Devolution said:
I wouldn't even vote for Hemo unless some things about that map change.
There are some pretty easy changes that could be made to make it more palatable - put down about a hundred more spawn points, place kill barriers in the jetpack exploit areas, make the Blue teleporter rocks into something even slightly resembling the Halo 2 rock catacombs, reposition Red teleporter exit to encourage more cave movement. It's a real shame. In short, make it more like Coagulation.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Stop crushing my dreams about never seeing the CEA maps in MM. I'm attempting to forget that, so I can be excited about them.
The Classic playlists are going to be dedicated to them...
There are almost as many maps there as Reach shipped with. Add in Reflection and better version of Hemo and you do get the same number of maps, not including forge maps.

Havok said:
There are some pretty easy changes that could be made to make it more palatable - put down about a hundred more spawn points, place kill barriers in the jetpack exploit areas, make the Blue teleporter rocks into something even slightly resembling the Halo 2 rock catacombs, reposition Red teleporter exit to encourage more cave movement. It's a real shame. In short, make it more like Coagulation.

Take invis out. Put more spawns inside of the damn base if no one is getting flag or arming. Nothing like being vehicle farmed on spawn over and over.

Striker

Not to mention, as mentioned, the bases in Coag are superior in every form to what Hemorrhage/Blood Gulch has. Really unfortunate they went that route.

Booshka

Striker said:
Not to mention, as mentioned, the bases in Coag are superior in every form to what Hemorrhage/Blood Gulch has. Really unfortunate they went that route.
Blood Gulch bases were fine when there weren't Banshees in the MP. It was pretty cool to park down there and pick up your flag carrier, but Hemorrhage has bigger problems than the design of the base.

MrBig said:
The Classic playlists are going to be dedicated to them...
There are almost as many maps there as Reach shipped with. Add in Reflection and better version of Hemo and you do get the same number of maps, not including forge maps.

I know, but it still pains me to realize that we probably won't ever see these amazing new maps outside of classic playlists.

Not that I'm ever going to play a playlist that isn't classic lol.

Striker

Booshka said:
Blood Gulch bases were fine when there weren't Banshees in the MP. It was pretty cool to park down there and pick up your flag carrier, but Hemorrhage has bigger problems than the design of the base.
They stink for 8v8 gameplay.

I know there's other issues, i.e rock formations, teleporter placements, and so on, but the bases are just another hurdle.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Not to mention its so CQC in there if they bring their shotgun in you're fucked. Not very good bases at all.
Valhalla, another example, is similar. Just not a very good base design for 8v8. Too small, cramped, and leads to things like that (Shotgunning, lots of melee and grenade spam).

Loved Coag and Waterwork's base work.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Not to mention its so CQC in there if they bring their shotgun in you're fucked. Not very good bases at all.

I just sit on top and nade it to hell. Also one thing I noticed in Reach that I don't remember in previous iterations of Hemo, is that you die on top of the base if the bomb goes off. I don't recall that?

Havok

Devolution said:
I just sit on top and nade it to hell. Also one thing I noticed in Reach that I don't remember in previous iterations of Hemo, is that you die on top of the base if the bomb goes off. I don't recall that?
That's just Forge being Forge.

Tawpgun

Yeah nades would work if the shotgun guy is an idiot and stays there. You only got 2 nades, and if he hides behind the wall... Super annoying.

Booshka

Devolution said:
Don't worry, in Halo 4 when you blow up on top of the base there will be environmental destruction to make it feel more realistic.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Yeah nades would work if the shotgun guy is an idiot and stays there. You only got 2 nades, and if he hides behind the wall... Super annoying.

I was talking about Halo CE, in which case you can have 4 frags and maybe some stickies. Plus 4 frags spawn on top of the base.

Tawpgun

Booshka said:
Don't worry, in Halo 4 when you blow up on top of the base there will be environmental destruction to make it feel more realistic.
I think that would add a cool interactive element to Assault. Every bomb explosion the base changes.

Another cool thing ( I think its possible now...) is to have multiple bomb points. It would be like Search and Destroy without the limited lives.

But if you can mess around with Megalo and allow someone to have a bomb and use their weapon.... we can actually make Search and Destroy.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Another cool thing ( I think its possible now...) is to have multiple bomb points. It would be like Search and Destroy without the limited lives..
So you want Ivory Tower, then?

Also, sorry to Tunavi for not replying, I'm just hanging out in Forge writing a paper.

Top Bottom