• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
Is it just me, or did Ogre 2 teleport out of nowhere to Ring 3 at the start of that game?
Lol he jumped from red landing but we don't see it because of the grenade smoke. Looked cool.

StalkerUKCG said:
I gather its all but confirmed no Limited Edition for Halo CE:A ? Correct if so ill drop my preorder now if now ill wait.
I don't know if it has been confirmed, but it'd be kind of late to announce one now, especially since they haven't been hinting at one.
Personally I'd be interested in a Steelbook Edition with the soundtrack, but nothing more. Think they're trying to sell people with this $40 love, and then do the big marketing campaign & super editions with H4 next year.

Zeouterlimits said:
I don't know if it has been confirmed, but it'd be kind of late to announce one now, especially since they haven't been hinting at one.
Personally I'd be interested in a Steelbook Edition with the soundtrack, but nothing more. Think they're trying to sell people with this $40 love, and then do the big marketing campaign & super editions with H4 next year.
The US version is coming with a paper sleeve that has some foil effects.(The visor and the logo) But I really would love to see a steelbook cover. And 343i has the perfect opportunity to release a Game/Soundtrack package, because this time the soundtrack will be available on Nov. 15, too.

Striker

stephen08 said:
Spartan Laser was a great addition. I miss the Missile Pod from 3 though. That thing was great for vehicle combat.
Joke post?

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 2 Rockets > Spartan Laser
Rockets in Halo 2 were definitely a better anti-vehicle weapon, and weren't acted as snipers. But I also like the Plasma Launcher in Reach for BTB play.

Not sure how somebody can refer to the missile pod than a plasma launcher. For one you're not a turtle, you can track your shots instead of relying on slow tracking, and you can also take on infantry pending your timing and aim.

As per my post on HBO, I post shall here aswell, OXM article.

Most of the stuff in the article is stupid but two interesting things (i hope there not wrong!)

13. New Easter Eggs in every map
Some of the original Bungie Easter eggs have been taken out due to respect for the creators, but 343 have added plenty of new goodies to find in the updated multiplayer maps. There's at least one to find in every map - keep your eyes peeled.

19. It'll unlock achievements in Reach
The original game didn't even have achievements - this time around it'll even unlock a few in an entirely different game. Use the code in the box to unlock all the maps in Halo Reach, alongside a brand new set of cheevos to grab in that game. That's more than 1000g in one box, basically.

Also this laser debate, I hope 343 acknowledge the fact that certain weapons don't need to be in MP at all, sometimes there is no need for them, like the laser. By all means keep that in SP and customs or niche game modes like splocket's but not in maps with vehicles, it make's them redundant.

ElzarTheBam said:
As per my post on HBO, I shall here aswell, OXM article.

Most of the stuff in the article is stupid but two interesting things (i hope there not wrong!)

13. New Easter Eggs in every map
Some of the original Bungie Easter eggs have been taken out due to respect for the creators, but 343 have added plenty of new goodies to find in the updated multiplayer maps. There's at least one to find in every map - keep your eyes peeled.

19. It'll unlock achievements in Reach
The original game didn't even have achievements - this time around it'll even unlock a few in an entirely different game. Use the code in the box to unlock all the maps in Halo Reach, alongside a brand new set of cheevos to grab in that game. That's more than 1000g in one box, basically.

Maps in box confirmed?

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Rockets in Halo 2 were definitely a better anti-vehicle weapon, and weren't acted as snipers. But I also like the Plasma Launcher in Reach for BTB play.

Not sure how somebody can refer to the missile pod than a plasma launcher. For one you're not a turtle, you can track your shots instead of relying on slow tracking, and you can also take on infantry pending your timing and aim.
My favorite detail on the missile pod was the alarm that alerted vehicles they were being targeted. I used to use up all but the last shot, then just aim at vehicles as they came near (on both Valhalla and Sandtrap) and watch them freak out. I wish I'd saved the clip of a game where I kept a Banshee on Sandtrap freaking out for over a minute straight before we shot it down. Just boosting all over the place thinking it had a missile on its ass.

But yeah, I'll take the plasma launcher over the laser on a map any day. Especially in Reach's BTB, the laser really has no reason to be in the game at all. Vehicles get demolished readily enough without an across the map insta-kill gun.

Havok said:
That's valid. I never felt that it was a huge issue in Coag just because vehicles weren't the monstrously powerful (in terms of kill times) things that they were in 3 and Reach, to a certain extent. Most of the time you'd only want to go into the open to grab rockets, and there was plenty of cover nearby to help you out. Highlands does a pretty similar thing to Coag, though, to pretty great effect. There's more vertical cover on Highlands, but most of the time it wasn't a huge issue unless you chose to go out in the open, like the areas directly in front of the base. That's what Hemo does wrong - it forces you out in the middle of nowhere by spawning you there. I guess I just don't feel that Valhalla is a great vehicle map. It's a nice hybrid, but it always felt cramped whenever we tried to do an offensive rush. Avalanche was much better in this regard, and it often played out the same way as Coag and Highlands - the vehicle tracks were fairly devoid of cover because there was no incentive for infantry to go out there, and I don't see that as a problem.
I can definitely see the comparisons you're making between Avalanche and Coagulation in that it tended to push players to the sides of the map, but I didn't mind it at all in Avalanche. I think it's because of Halo 3's many ways to attack vehicles (brute shot, plasma pistol), and any equipment you picked up on the way helped the players stand a chance. The layout of the map divided it, making it harder for vehicles to want to pick on infantry...if that makes any sense. And there wasn't really any "side" to fight on, just walking up against a wall until you get to the real infantry action: the middle and the apex of the horseshoe. Mancannons insured quick travel to where the main infantry action was.

Coagulation and Waterworks were bigger BTB maps than Halo 3's two best: Avalanche and Valhalla.

GhaleonEB said:
My favorite detail on the missile pod was the alarm that alerted vehicles they were being targeted. I used to use up all but the last shot, then just aim at vehicles as they came near (on both Valhalla and Sandtrap) and watch them freak out. I wish I'd saved the clip of a game where I kept a Banshee on Sandtrap freaking out for over a minute straight before we shot it down. Just boosting all over the place thinking it had a missile on its ass.

But yeah, I'll take the plasma launcher over the laser on a map any day. Especially in Reach's BTB, the laser really has no reason to be in the game at all. Vehicles get demolished readily enough without an across the map insta-kill gun.
Does the plasma launcher warn people its targeting? I haven't used it in awhile.

Hypertrooper said:
The US version is coming with a paper sleeve that has some foil effects.(The visor and the logo) But I really would love to see a steelbook cover. And 343i has the perfect opportunity to release a Game/Soundtrack package, because this time the soundtrack will be available on Nov. 15, too.

Sounds cool any pictures?

Off topic but between now and the end of november im spending £955 on games.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Does the plasma launcher warn people its targeting? I haven't used it in awhile.
No, but you are able to see the bright blue grenades coming toward you. Plus nearby if the enemies has one there's a charge-up you'll often hear.

StalkerUKCG said:
Sounds cool any pictures?

Off topic but between now and the end of november im spending £955 on games.

Wow, thats alot! I'm spending £65

30 for Halo anniversary
35 for battlefield 3

The rest are bieng lovefilmed!

ElzarTheBam said:
Wow, thats alot! I'm spending £65

30 for Halo anniversary
35 for battlefield 3

The rest are bieng lovefilmed!

Code:
Gears of war 3 Epic Edition                         September 20th - £100

Forza 4 Collectors Edition                          October 14th   - £60
Batman Arkham City Collectors Edition               October 21st   - £60	
Dragonball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi Collectors Edition  October 28th   - £70    
Battlefield 3                                       October 28th   - £40

Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition                   November 8th   - £90
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition       November 11th  - £130
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary                     November 11th    £40
Saints Row 3 Professor Genki Edition                November 15th  - £40
Assassins Creed Revelations Animus Edition          November 15th    £69
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection                      November 25th  - £40
Sonic Generations Collecters Edition                November 30th  - £86
Star Wars The Old Republic Collectors Edition       November       - £130
If anyone was interested "-" means preordered.

wwm0nkey

Not really Halo related but more Bungie related.

Since Steam appears to be heading to the 360 in the very very near future anyone else think Destiny should support Steam works? This would result in cross platform play between PS3, 360 and PC. Something of that magnitude could be massive.

StalkerUKCG said:
Maps in box confirmed?
Sounds great, which means I can avoid double-dipping (like I ended up doing with the Mythic II Map Pack). Getting all this stuff for $30 is a great value to me. Much thanks to 343 and Newegg.

I wonder if I'll even be able to fit Halo 3 + all DLC and Halo: Reach + all DLC in 16 GB after Anniversary hits.

Gui_PT

StalkerUKCG said:
Code:

U R Rich

StalkerUKCG said:
Code:

Wow, there are a lot of special editions in that list. There are also a lot of games being released within days of eachother. How are you going to make time to play them all lol?

Im planning to get basically the same games, but im going to stagger them one at a time. It will probably be months before I get halfway through the list, but thats how long it would take to go through those games 1 by 1 anyway. No doubt by January a lot of those games will have literally halved in price.

wwm0nkey

My list

Battlefield 3 (PC&360)
Halo CEA
Skyrim (which I get free)
MGS HD

EDIT: Since Crysis Remastered is only 1600 points I am getting that too.

Steelyuhas said:
Well of course haha, but I feel that its especially bad on that map because the laser is always on top of the giant hill in the middle of the map allowing the laser to insta-destroy pretty much anything, anywhere.
The laser should have been a still-experimental weapon that needed and external power supply to charge the short-term battery, say like the power it took to keep your armor's shields up. At least there would have been some risk in using such a ridiculously overpowered weapon.

Tawpgun

People defending the laser?

People defending a weapon that gave little to no warning before you were hitscan'd from across the map in a 1 shot kill?

And I know about the beam and the sound, but they were so inconsistent it didn't even matter. Besides, anyone above grade school would know not to line the shot up until the thing was about to fire.

Lock On Rockets gave people the ability to swat vehicles off the battlefield, but you needed to shoot when the time was right so the rocket wouldn't hit anything.

Because of the new anti-vehicle weaponry and gadgets added to the sandbox, give the rockets a lock on warning and we have BTB back.

wwm0nkey

Laser needs to be removed and missile pods added back in, all problems solved.

Seriously though I really REALLY hate the laser.

Karl2177

The Real Napsta said:
I'm getting Mass Effect 3 too, but it doesn't come out till next year so I didn't list it.
I'm just listing confirmed games that I know I want and have the money for. I should probably throw Heart of the Swarm on there as well. Otherwise not many games look that appealing to me.

Striker

Why are missile pods needed? If there's rockets for non-lock and then a weapon like a plasma launcher, it's pointless to add. A plasma launcher is more efficient and a weapon that is more suitable for a fight-for anti-vehicle weapon for BTB.

reggie said:
I honestly think the only reason Valhalla gets any credit is the simple fact that most maps in Halo 3 were garbage. To come from the near perfect Halo 2 maps to stuff like Isolation and Sand Trap, Valhalla obviously stands out. It has problems, like having a hill in the middle of the map that gives you a complete view of the battlefield which means whoever takes over the hill first wins.

And what ever happened to having interesting ideas on maps? The gates on Zanzibar (Halo 2, not the useless one in Last Resort) and Containment, the Teleporter on Relic, the train on Terminal, the conveyor belts on Colossus and Elongation, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. They all added something fresh, and compared to the stale, lifeless maps in Reach, they're amazing.
Js3qr.gif

Tawpgun

Striker said:
Why are missile pods needed? If there's rockets for non-lock and then a weapon like a plasma launcher, it's pointless to add. A plasma launcher is more efficient and a weapon that is more suitable for a fight-for anti-vehicle weapon for BTB.

Js3qr.gif

Too slow. Rockets are better, and you can use them as anti infantry. Plauncher sucks against infantry.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
Too slow. Rockets are better, and you can use them as anti infantry. Plauncher sucks against infantry.
Allow lock-on for Banshees and whatever other flying vehicles. Assuming the Banshee doesn't have such quick and evasive maneuvers it does in Reach, of course. Halo 2's Banshee and the Rockets worked really nice together.

Tawpgun

Striker said:
Allow lock-on for Banshees and whatever other flying vehicles. Assuming the Banshee doesn't have such quick and evasive maneuvers it does in Reach, of course. Halo 2's Banshee and the Rockets worked really nice together.
The damn things lock on really well but they travel SO SLOW. You can outrun them too easily.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Striker said:

I agree with this gentleman and Reggies post about 10 or so above this. Make the next Halo play like Halo 2 and you will have a winner.

Gui_PT said:
But won't she suck me dry?
In terms of money, I mean.

Get in a relationship with someone who isnt a money grabbing hoe?

Thats not to say i dont get gifts for her dont get me wrong, but we buy gifts for each other semi-regularly.

wwm0nkey said:
Not really Halo related but more Bungie related.

Since Steam appears to be heading to the 360 in the very very near future anyone else think Destiny should support Steam works? This would result in cross platform play between PS3, 360 and PC. Something of that magnitude could be massive.
What? When? Where? How?

If so I am totally pumped!

wwm0nkey

Awesome Barlow said:
What? When? Where? How?

If so I am totally pumped!
well Steam support added an Xbox Support option which apparently wasn't there before, its been flying over the internet this morning.

Not completely sure if it was there before or not.

Top Bottom