• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok

Striker said:
No, but you are able to see the bright blue grenades coming toward you. Plus nearby if the enemies has one there's a charge-up you'll often hear.
I'm late to this, but the plasma launcher has it's own loud audio cues that can be heard from almost anywhere within its effective range. In addition, the projectiles have their own separate audio cues, with the added benefit of both the charge and shots being extremely visible. When I get killed by the plasma launcher while driving around on Hemorrhage, I don't say "what the fuck was that?" like I would with the laser, but rather I know that we didn't drive behind cover quickly enough or we were engaging the infantry too closely rangewise.

And the plasma launcher is fine for infantry when you consider that they are not the intended targets, and beyond that, there's no reason it should be an infantry-killer. Blueberry > Missile Pod.

Tawpgun

Gabotron ES said:
3qz6vl4
So good.

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
Because of the new anti-vehicle weaponry and gadgets added to the sandbox, give the rockets a lock on warning and we have BTB back.

I just don't understand the hate on the laser... it's a power weapon, it's supposed to be powerful. Just place one on a map in the middle a la Valhalla, and limit the number of uses.

Lock on rockets won't fix BTB lol... it would take having good maps with vehicles that work as they should.

Tashi0106 said:
Campus Safety vs Ogre 2 and Lunchbox

I accidentally plugged in the wrong cable for my mic and that's why I don't have voice. Good thing though, my trash talking would definitely offend some people :p

Also, I know I start like shit and don't get a kill for a few minutes but I promise it gets better.

GOOD SHIT...

wwm0nkey

Risen[B said:
]I just don't understand the hate on the laser... it's a power weapon[/B], it's supposed to be powerful. Just place one on a map in the middle a la Valhalla, and limit the number of uses.

Lock on rockets won't fix BTB lol... it would take having good maps with vehicles that work as they should.
Its way to fucking powerful thats why.

-you can hardly ever hear the warning sound
-sometimes you can't even see the warning line too
-no chance to dodge what so ever unless the guy using it is blind

it just gives you no chance against it, that is not exactly a good thing, at least with the Lock-on Rockets, missile pod and plasma launcher you can hit the vehicle if you are good enough and if you are a good enough driver you can also at least doge those too.

wwm0nkey said:

it just gives you no chance against it, that is not exactly a good thing, at least with the Lock-on Rockets, missile pod and plasma launcher you can hit the vehicle if you are good enough and if you are a good enough driver you can also at least doge those too.

I can see why the laser is powerful, but its a power weapon to control just like any other power weapon.

If your team doesn't have laser, you shouldn't be in a vehicle.

If the other team has laser you should be calling out where he is and killing him as a team (or snipe him)

If he is shooting infantry with the laser, that's a good thing. He only has 5 shots (4 in Reach).

Set up for control of the next laser.

Risen

wwm0nkey said:

But place one on the map... in the middle, with limited ammo... and it's gold! It worked GREAT in H3 on Valhalla.

When people say you have "no chance" against it... neither do you have a "chance" if you are a foot soldier and there's a Scorpion tank looking at you, or Banshee... or a "chance" if you are a foot soldier running into another foot soldier with rockets in close range. (all making certain assumptions on skill)

I have never ever ever ever been dominated by the laser in BTB - but a team with a Tank, Banshee, Ghost, and Hog/Gunner with only the weapons you listed above to counter - and I can emphatically say the vehicles will dominate. But maybe that's what you want in BTB.

It seems to me that folks who don't like the laser are folks who just want to hop in a vehicle and dominate without having to worry over-much about a power weapon.

Powerful game items (vehicles) need to be balanced by judicious placement of equally powerful game items (laser) - then it becomes about team play rather than any one specific item. Place too many powerful items, or not have powerful enough vehicles/weapons... and it's a cluster-fuck.

wwm0nkey

Risen said:
But place one on the map... in the middle, with limited ammo... and it's gold! It worked GREAT in H3 on Valhalla.

When people say you have "no chance" against it... neither do you have a "chance" if you are a foot soldier and there's a Scorpion tank looking at you, or Banshee... or a "chance" if you are a foot soldier running into another foot soldier with rockets in close range. (all making certain assumptions on skill)

It seems to me that folks who don't like the laser are folks who just want to hop in a vehicle and dominate without having to worry over-much about a power weapon.

Powerful game items (vehicles) need to be balanced by judicious placement of equally powerful game items (laser) - then it becomes about team play rather than any one specific item. Place too many powerful items, or not have powerful enough vehicles/weapons... and it's a cluster-fuck.
When the hell do you ever even see a tank in MP? lol

Banshee wise that thing is easy as hell to take out if your team actually aims at it (pretty sure playing GAF MM we took out a banshee in less than a minute with just DMRs)

Also I just think there are better and much more fair options to balance out vehicles from dominating the map than the laser.

Striker said:
Not sure how somebody can refer to the missile pod than a plasma launcher. For one you're not a turtle, you can track your shots instead of relying on slow tracking, and you can also take on infantry pending your timing and aim.
You can do all of that with the missile pod. if you need to move around, drop it, then pick it back up when you want to use it.

reggie said:
I honestly think the only reason Valhalla gets any credit is the simple fact that most maps in Halo 3 were garbage. To come from the near perfect Halo 2 maps to stuff like Isolation and Sand Trap, Valhalla obviously stands out. It has problems, like having a hill in the middle of the map that gives you a complete view of the battlefield which means whoever takes over the hill first wins.
That's not it for me, and that isn't the reason for a lot of people. People have good reasons for preferring Valhalla over its predecessors. Personally, it's my favorite Halo map of all time. And Halo 3 had some very good maps later in its lifetime with a few gems earlier like Guardian and The Pit. Personally, I think The Pit and Citadel can roll with the best mid-sized maps in any other Halo games; I think Citadel is the best mid-sized Halo map ever. Then you have other maps like Avalanche, Ghost Town, Longshore, Assembly, Rat's Nest, Cold Storage, and Heretic. Sandtrap made for some very interesting objective gametypes because of the Elephants.

And you're wrong about whoever takes the hill first wins. That's never how it played out in objective games (see here). Maybe it did matter a little more in Slayer, but it was hardly a determining factor. If anything, it was the laser, not the hill itself.

Risen said:
I just don't understand the hate on the laser... it's a power weapon, it's supposed to be powerful. Just place one on a map in the middle a la Valhalla, and limit the number of uses.
Labeling something as a Power Weapon doesn't give it a free pass to create bad gameplay.

The problem with the laser is that it lets you instantly destroy a vehicle from long distance with little to no warning. There's no real defense against the laser, players often find themselves driving around with no sign of the enemy when all of a sudden their vehicle explodes, killing all of the passengers. That isn't fun, hearing a rocket lock on to you and trying to dodge it is fun.

Still, I can understand the role the Laser is trying to fill - the slow travel time of Rockets can sometimes make it too difficult to take out fast vehicles like the Banshee or Ghost. Those vehicles are sometimes too good at dodging rockets, creating a need for an anti-vehicle weapon with an instant travel time. A sniper for vehicles. (As opposed to making the normal sniper wreak vehicles, I still don't like that decision.)

So the new role for this hypothetical Laser we're discussing is as follows:
- Instant travel time for the projectile. (Doesn't necessarily mean instant firing time, it can still require a charge.)
- Non-instant kill time against vehicles. (i.e. make it more fun to be shot at)
- Don't make it too powerful against infantry. (Leave that to the sniper rifle.)

My proposal? Merge the Spartan Laser and the Focus Rifle.
- Keep the Spartan Laser's ~2-second charge and targeting laser, only change the targeting laser to be brighter and more constant to make it easier for targets to see.
- Replace the concentrated laser burst with the Focus Rifle's steady beam. Naturally it should do much much more damage than the Focus Rifle, but it should still take about 2 seconds of contact to destroy a healthy vehicle.

The scope should be 2x at best (which I think it is in Reach) but I wonder if it should even have a scope at all - I don't think it's necessary since vehicle have such a large profile and removing it would help decrease its effectiveness against infantry.

Anyways, that's my idea. What do you guys think?

GhaleonEB

reggie said:
I honestly think the only reason Valhalla gets any credit is the simple fact that most maps in Halo 3 were garbage. To come from the near perfect Halo 2 maps to stuff like Isolation and Sand Trap, Valhalla obviously stands out. It has problems, like having a hill in the middle of the map that gives you a complete view of the battlefield which means whoever takes over the hill first wins.
Valhalla is one of the best maps Bungie has ever made, period. Personally, it's my favorite BTB map in the series (which makes it my favorite map overall). Most BTB maps could learn a lesson or 12 from it.

GhaleonEB said:
Valhalla is one of the best maps Bungie has ever made, period. Personally, it's my favorite BTB map in the series (which makes it my favorite map overall). Most BTB maps could learn a lesson or 12 from it.
This. One hundred percent this.

I always thought the movement on Valhalla was great. There are lots of ways to get around, there's lots of cover, and vehicles and infantry play well together. The only problem is the laser, so put rockets there instead

Crucio

Tashi0106 said:
Anniversary
Skyward Sword

That's it for new games for me.
Now you're talking. These are the only games I'll be playing until Halo 4. Excluding Reach.

"My proposal? Merge the Spartan Laser and the Focus Rifle.".
I really like your idea ncsuDuncan.
It even seems like something Halo 4's forerunner tech could produce. Its a good idea and a plausible one for the next games.

I also think Valhalla is one of the most beautiful MP maps ever. Atmosphere definitely helps me like a map even if it may have design flaws. I like Snowbound despite the above-average camping because of the snowy environment.

Edit: New games for me:
1. Anniversary
2. Skyrim
3. Arkham City
4. Deus Ex
5. Gears 3
6. (maybe) Uncharted 3

I'll be getting most of those for Christmas.

Dax01 said:
I also think Valhalla is one of the most beautiful MP maps ever. Atmosphere definitely helps me like a map even if it may have design flaws. I like Snowbound despite the above-average camping because of the snowy environment.
Snowbound would have been better if the snow didn't make grenades stick, if the open side had a bit more cover, and the ledges in the middle were level instead of making cliff-side have a height advantage.

are we doing games then?

gears 3
anniversary
bf3
mw3 (I know I know)

feel

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Halo CE Anniversary
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD Collection
Uncharted 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
Journey (psn)
Minecraft (xbla)
Crysis (xbla)
Gears of War 3
Rage
Arkham City
Battlefield 3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Dark Souls

:lol

I've decided to take a different approach this year, and instead of one or two, I'll be buying all the AAA games that seem appealing to me and judge them myself instead of relying on GAF/critics, I can then get rid of whatever doesn't hook me. I barely have time to play, and when I do it takes me forever to play through singleplayer games because I get distracted by Halo or PES, so I'll be done with all of these by like summer of 2012.

lmao check out the guy above me, he's getting the new call of duty... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

and I'm extremely pissed that LG won't be releasing a 47' version of their top of the line NANOLED lcd (lw9800) in the North American market.... grrrrrrrrrrrr I'll have to get one from Mexico or some other place that will have me jumping through lots of hoops, because there isn't any other tv that will compare to me, judging by the predecessor that I currently have

Letters said:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Halo CE Anniversary
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD Collection
Uncharted 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
Journey (psn)
Minecraft (xbla)
Crysis (xbla)
Gears of War 3
Rage
Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Dark Souls
Call of duty Modern warfare 3

:lol

I've decided to take a different approach this year, and instead of one or two, I'll be buying all the AAA games that seem appealing to me and judge them myself instead of relying on GAF/critics, I can then get rid of whatever doesn't hook me. I barely have time to play, and when I do it takes me forever to play through singleplayer games because I get distracted by Halo or PES, so I'll be done with all of these by like summer of 2012.

lmao check out the guy above me, he's getting the new call of duty... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Now so are you! Embrace the fear

GhaleonEB

Deus Ex Human Revolution (currently in shipping)
Halo Anniversary
Radiant Silvergun (XBLA)
Guardian Heroes (XBLA)

Might be another XBLA game or two in the mix. But the above will probably do me for the next six months to a year. Were Skyrim not on my list, the list might be longer. That game alone will get me through the spring and summer.

Risen

GhaleonEB said:

I'm loving you more and more Ghaleon... it wasn't perfect for me, but easily the best in H3 as an overall BTB map.

ncsuDuncan said:
Labeling something as a Power Weapon doesn't give it a free pass to create bad gameplay.

The problem with the laser is that it lets you instantly destroy a vehicle from long distance with little to no warning. There's no real defense against the laser, players often find themselves driving around with no sign of the enemy when all of a sudden their vehicle explodes, killing all of the passengers. That isn't fun, hearing a rocket lock on to you and trying to dodge it is fun.

This isn't bad game play due to the laser... this is bad game play due to a player being in a vehicle without his team controlling the laser. The sniper lets you instantly destroy a foot soldier from long distance with little to no warning - fun has nothing to do with balanced game play.

It still seems the folks who don't like the laser are those that simply want to run nearly unchecked in vehicles. While fun - it certainly isn't balanced game play, unless perhaps there are ONLY vehicles on either side.

Again, judicious placement of the weapon with limited ammo and it's perfectly balanced.

Place it all over the map on both sides with lots of ammo and it renders vehicles useless.

ncsuDuncan said:
Anyways, that's my idea. What do you guys think?

I actually like the idea of the hybrid laser...

Edit:

Glad to see some folks picking up Gears 3... I'll be grabbing it, perhaps Rage, perhaps Battlefield 3, and definitely Halo CEA

GhaleonEB said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution (currently in shipping)
Halo Anniversary
Radiant Silvergun (XBLA)
Guardian Heroes (XBLA)

Might be another XBLA game or two in the mix. But the above will probably do me for the next six months to a year. Were Skyrim not on my list, the list might be longer. That game alone will get me through the spring and summer.
I'm surprised. Didn't you enjoy Arkham Asylum? Or are you waiting until it will go down in price? I know you said it got slightly repetitive towards the end, and that's true.

Merguson

Banned
I actually might just wait on Skyrim since they will release the version that includes all the DLC eventually after a year or so.

feel

Dax01 said:
I'm surprised. Didn't you enjoy Arkham Asylum? Or are you waiting until it will go down in price? I know you said it got slightly repetitive towards the end, and that's true.
He's got Anniversary (MP longevity) and Skyrim. Any normal person would be struggling to fit any more games into their playtime for the next 12 months.

edit-

Gui might be on his way to securing a job at Ryan Payton's new company just by asking for it after a compliment *popcorn.gif*

Ramirez

I see BG/Coag/Hemo as dated archaic map design, not so much BG since it was the first one and good at the time. But I know I groaned every time Coag came up in Halo 2, nothing like walking half way across the map only to die before even reaching the base and havin to start the trek all over again, ugh.

Man cannons really brought an awesome form of map movement to Valhalla, and really any map they were on in Halo 3. You guys rag on Halo 3's maps, but by the end of its cycle, it had a really solid set of maps. I can still count on one hand the maps I like in Reach after 2 sets of DLC. =\

Risen said:
This isn't bad game play due to the laser... this is bad game play due to a player being in a vehicle without his team controlling the laser. The sniper lets you instantly destroy a foot soldier from long distance with little to no warning - fun has nothing to do with balanced game play.
Okay, but the sniper awards you ONE kill for getting a HEADSHOT. It's both more difficult and less rewarding than using the laser, where you get a triple kill for aiming at the huge profile of a Warthog - you don't even have to hit a tiny weak spot to destroy it.

Risen said:
It still seems the folks who don't like the laser are those that simply want to run nearly unchecked in vehicles. While fun - it certainly isn't balanced game play, unless perhaps there are ONLY vehicles on either side.

Again, judicious placement of the weapon with limited ammo and it's perfectly balanced.

Place it all over the map on both sides with lots of ammo and it renders vehicles useless.

Vehicles are better than infantry. Any attempt to put them on even ground is ridiculous. I'm all for giving infantry the tools they need to take down a vehicle, but an insta-kill weapon like the Laser is just too much. Rockets at least take effort to use, they aren't just point and click. Granted, it's a delicate balance. I honestly like how most of the weapons in Reach are actually usable against vehicles (as opposed to previous games). The effectiveness of the DMR against Ghosts works well. Personally I'd keep that and make it a little less effective against the Banshee and Warthog (assuming the Banshee gets other tweaks to reduce its lethality).

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about completely removing an anti-vehicle power weapon - I'm just suggesting the current one could be modified to make it more interesting in gameplay. If anything my Splaser/Focus Rifle hybrid would have MORE ammo than the current Spartan Laser. Retain the current amount of anti-vehicle potential on the maps, just lengthen the average kill time for the Laser.
Risen said:
I actually like the idea of the hybrid laser...
Well at least we can agree on one thing. :p

Just picked up the $10 edition of Crimson Alliance and Madden 12 this last week.
Plan on getting Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Halo CEA and whole lot of renting for the rest ie GOW3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Rage, and so on and on and on....good lord this fall is going to be bananas.

Ramirez

Roddslayer said:
Just picked up the $10 edition of Crimson Alliance and Madden 12 this last week.
Plan on getting Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Halo CEA and whole lot of renting for the rest ie GOW3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Rage, and so on and on and on....good lord this fall is going to be bananas.

Son, I am disappoint.

Havok

Ramirez said:
Son, I am disappoint.
Renting is my plan for that game. I've been suckered twice into buying one game with terrible multiplayer framework (Server browsers only work on consoles if you can join with a party of people, saying "Quick, join that Raven Down match with 5 players now!" sucks.) and one with a completely broken multiplayer component. I'm still not convinced that they've fixed any of the balance issues from the beta. No thanks. Those are things that Halo has spoiled me on.

Ramirez said:
Reduce laser to a one time use weapon, problem solved.
squidhands said:
The laser should have been a still-experimental weapon that needed and external power supply to charge the short-term battery, say like the power it took to keep your armor's shields up. At least there would have been some risk in using such a ridiculously overpowered weapon.
I like the way you think.

Roddslayer said:
I was just going to ask about this. I just DL'd the free version to mess around with this weekend. I'll be getting Arkham (god I hope the mid-level boss battles are toned down), Gears, and Anniversary. More than enough to tide me over.

Merguson

Banned
Dax01 said:
My browser is just showing me a picture of a folder. Is that all?

There should be a link below OFFICE OF NAVAL INTELLIGENCE//SECTION 3 - DATA DROP ONE titled "1/6" which leads to a map...

or you could click on the link below

Risen

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, but the sniper awards you ONE kill for getting a HEADSHOT. It's both more difficult and less rewarding than using the laser, where you get a triple kill for aiming at the huge profile of a Warthog - you don't even have to hit a tiny weak spot to destroy it.

Bah... but that assumes three people in a vehicle lol you can't argue balancing based on people's game play decision making.

ncsuDuncan said:
Vehicles are better than infantry. Any attempt to put them on even ground is ridiculous. I'm all for giving infantry the tools they need to take down a vehicle, but an insta-kill weapon like the Laser is just too much. Rockets at least take effort to use, they aren't just point and click. Granted, it's a delicate balance. I honestly like how most of the weapons in Reach are actually usable against vehicles (as opposed to previous games). The effectiveness of the DMR against Ghosts works well. Personally I'd keep that and make it a little less effective against the Banshee and Warthog (assuming the Banshee gets other tweaks to reduce its lethality).

If by better you mean more powerful... then yes of course and they are supposed to be. I absolutely do not want them on "even ground" and that's not what I'm suggesting. The vehicles in Reach are waaaaay too easy to damage with regular weapons. They are definitely poorly balanced. They should require heavy power weapons to be destroyed.

The only thing I'm suggesting is that balance would be judicious placement with limited ammo - not a nerf...

Why is an "insta-kill" weapon too much against a vehicle if there is only one on the map and it has limited uses?

My over-riding point is that it's not the weapon, but it's implementation that's the problem.

senador

Banned
I am with Risen on the Laser. Perhaps I must not have encountered the Laser in 3 and Reach like some of you have. Since you have to charge it, and it has limited use per spawn, I never saw it as a huge problem. When my friends and I got in a vehicle we made sure to take it out or have it in use by our team. I have no problem with it killing infantry, as its just being used up quicker. You can't get that many kills with it against infantry anyway. I think its fun to use and a good tool for taking out dominant vehicles. If the 2 teams playing are decent, they will fight to control this weapon. You guys always talk about team work being so crucial in Halo games, how is this any different?

I'd like to see it stay in future games. I have no problem with it as is. If it has to be changed I'd make it spawn less often and possibly make it a 2-shot to kill vehicles. Maybe also make the sound more audible.

Edit: I agree that implementation is much of the problem. It probably shouldn't have spawned on the hill in Valhalla and it shouldn't be on the high platform just outside the teleport on Highlands. Still, I just haven't experienced that many problems with it.

Ramirez said:
I see BG/Coag/Hemo as dated archaic map design, not so much BG since it was the first one and good at the time. But I know I groaned every time Coag came up in Halo 2, nothing like walking half way across the map only to die before even reaching the base and havin to start the trek all over again, ugh.

Man cannons really brought an awesome form of map movement to Valhalla, and really any map they were on in Halo 3. You guys rag on Halo 3's maps, but by the end of its cycle, it had a really solid set of maps. I can still count on one hand the maps I like in Reach after 2 sets of DLC. =\

Reach's maps are flat out atrocious, so Halo 3's looks pretty good in comparison, but I still don't think that makes Halo 3's map set good (my opinion of course).

Halo 3's DLC did help, but some of it came far too late. Heretic and Citadel are possibly the two best 4v4 maps in H3, but they didn't come out until 2 years after the game dropped.

As for BG/Coag/Hemo, I think that BG is pretty outdated, but I really like Coag, and its a shame that Bungie didn't use the Coag bases and rock formations for Hemo. It would have been a much better map.

Hopefully CEA maps can save Reach's map selection, but god help us in any playlist that doesn't require them.

Tashi0106 said:
Man cannoms were great on Narrows. Very exciting gameplay.

The map was built around those being there I think. I can't see the map working at all without them.

Top Bottom