• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
Also maybe have a choice of whether you want to be put into games halfway through.
Yes that too again that join in session option should ONLY exist in player matches, nowhere else.

Also here is one thing I would love that hasnt been in a game since shadowrun

MAP PREFERENCES!
so pissed this isnt in more games.

Sai-kun said:
I...I want one of these. Do they really exist?
Yes they where handing them out to anyone that played it at PAX, sadly I think our Halo GAF friends here where a bit too busy with Halo Fest lol

wwm0nkey said:
Yes they where handing them out to anyone that played it at PAX, sadly I think our Halo GAF friends here where a bit too busy with Halo Fest lol
I don't see a gaming side CS:GO Beta Key Begging thread though

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
Yes that too again that join in session option should ONLY exist in player matches, nowhere else.

Also here is one thing I would love that hasnt been in a game since shadowrun

MAP PREFERENCES!
so pissed this isnt in more games.

The lines on the show floor were ridiculously long, 3 hours to play Rage? Hold on...LOL.

Booshka

If EazyB is lurking, on the Whiskey Media Big Live Live Show Live there is some dude painting a Brute Spiker prop. Seeing how it is your favorite Tool of Destruction, thought you would be interested.

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
No judgments. I'm sure it's money better spent. ;-)

I wish. The ones I can spend my money on have to be interviewed by my parents and they never pick any of the good ones =(

wwm0nkey said:
well Steam support added an Xbox Support option which apparently wasn't there before, its been flying over the internet this morning.

Not completely sure if it was there before or not.

Steam on XBL....soooo good.

Sorry I haven't been online in a while, I've been super busy!

Don't play Reach for 5 days. Hop into squad slayer. Get 2 guests who don't play.

Awesome.

Games I'm going to get are:
Halo Anniversery
Gears 3
BF 3

and if the money alows it:
Skyrim

335 games of BTB and 179 of Invasion.

Games played on Highlands or Breakpoint:...

... wait for it ...

...NOT A SINGLE ONE!

All DLC required playlists are a must.

wwm0nkey

Gabotron ES said:

... wait for it ...

...NOT A SINGLE ONE!

that or actively try to match you with users that have the DLC. Like Call of Duty does and I will admit Call of Duty does it VERY well.

I Reach it feels like a luck of the draw type deal to get users with DLC.

TheOddOne

Awesome Barlow said:
Steam on XBL....soooo good.

Sorry I haven't been online in a while, I've been super busy!
Dear Microsoft,

Listen to Valve and make XBL less restrictive. Also, let Valve do whatever they want on XBL. Trust me, it will improve your image by ten fold.

Yours sincerly,

TheOddOne

kylej

Banned
Highlands is abysmal. Be thankful. Was that 343 or Certain Affinity? Either way that map alone makes me worried about Halo 4. It fell into the Bungie trap of making things way too complex and huge for the sake of aesthetics.

Highlands is absolutely miserable to play on with Halo's player count. 16v16 with +75% movement speed would be a little better. 6v6? Reach style? Barf.

wwm0nkey

TheOddOne said:
Dear Microsoft,

Listen to Valve and make XBL less restrictive. Also, let Valve do whatever they want on XBL. Trust me, it will improve your image by ten fold.

Yours sincerly,

TheOddOne
Its nice to want things.

Booshka

kylej said:
Highlands is abysmal. Be thankful. Was that 343 or Certain Affinity? Either way that map alone makes me worried about Halo 4. It fell into the Bungie trap of making things way too complex and huge for the sake of aesthetics.

Highlands is absolutely miserable to play on with Halo's player count. 16v16 with +75% movement speed would be a little better. 6v6? Reach style? Barf.
Both of the MP maps in Defiant looked like they were designed more for pretty screenshots in magazines rather than to actually play Halo on. Both are a convoluted mess that play like ass.

kylej

Banned
Booshka said:
Both of the MP maps in Defiant looked like they were designed more for pretty screenshots in magazines rather than to actually play Halo on. Both are a convoluted mess that play like ass.

I really have no idea how the numerous turds in Reach ever made it past the mock-up stage. Doesn't somebody at some point actually play a game or two on them? Does anyone involved with the game know what makes a Halo map great? Every HaloGAF kid knows in 5 minutes whether a map is going to be fun to play on so why do teams full of people keep pumping out such garbage? I mean, Spire? Seriously?

Randomizing gimmicks over defined variables, aesthetics over gameplay, and size over scale. Welcome to modern Halo.

wwm0nkey said:
kd78lw.gif
Game of forever?

wwm0nkey said:
that or actively try to match you with users that have the DLC. Like Call of Duty does and I will admit Call of Duty does it VERY well.

I Reach it feels like a luck of the draw type deal to get users with DLC.

Yep, COD DLC implementation is excellent. Halo's makes me not able to honestly recommend DLC packs to people regardless of the quality of the maps.

kylej said:
I really have no idea how the numerous turds in Reach ever made it past the mock-up stage. Doesn't somebody at some point actually play a game or two on them? Does anyone involved with the game know what makes a Halo map great? Every HaloGAF kid knows in 5 minutes whether a map is going to be fun to play on so why do teams full of people keep pumping out such garbage? I mean, Spire? Seriously?

Randomizing gimmicks over defined variables, aesthetics over gameplay, and size over scale. Welcome to modern Halo.

One thing that was apparent to me is that no one really play-tested Zealot. It only took people a few days to figure out they could go up a few kills, and then camp the outer space portion all day long. There was no way to break that setup, and it took several weeks to get fixed in matchmaking by adding a 10 second kill zone.

If you have to add a giant kill-zone to fix a map, you didn't play test it enough!

senador

Banned
Booshka said:

Maybe true, but Condemned has some pretty fun objective in my opinion since the hallways and more areas get used. When its slayer it just devolves to running to the Zero G room.

I don't have a problem with Highlands itself, just the way its implemented. Weapon placement and timers need to be adjusted IMO and it'd play better 8v8, but that is something I've never done on it and don't expect to..

Edit: While I am at it....

I think Tempest is a good map, but it needs some love too. I'd like it better with lots more spawns and to have the backside tunnels open. Also, I hate dudes sitting on the large rock. I'd put a soft kill up there as well as above rocket spawns.

I like Unanchored, and have no problem with it other than someone sitting on the Sabre up top (which was by design, lol). It plays so much better now that rocket spawn timer is increased.

I dislike Breakpoint. Terrible spawns. Too large. Stupid hill in the middle for camping.

Crucio

Gabotron ES said:
Man sweet stuff. I think this is contributing to Glasslands release. IF they do 1 of these per week it will bring us into mid October which is the time for Glasslands release date.

Hypertrooper said:
Sweet, Got mine payed up. Thanks Louis Wu, so generous.
(If you get in the first 75 orders you get a VIP Halo Fest card with it I think.)

Tashi0106 said:
Definitely getting the special edition Skyward Sword. I don't have the motion plus and that gold controller is sexy.
Yeah, same here. I hope the canadian version comes with the Orchestra Recording. So awesome. Nintendo knows their customers needs so well, this bundle is perfect for me.

Steelyuhas said:
Obviously game of forever is a joke, but BF3 is going to be an incredible game.
Eh. Personally, it's hardly worth mentioning. The campaign seems like your typical military shooter (I got bored watching the first campaign video for the first time and turned it off not even half way through). At least Bad Company did it an amusing manner, though the first campaign was better than the second ("Truckasaurus Rex").

But Battlefield isn't about the campaign, it's about the multiplayer. And judging from the Bad Company series, I'm not going to like it that much. The only thing I really liked about the BC series was the destructible environments; everything else was pretty much par for the course. Destructible environments can only get you so far. Vehicles weren't fun to drive, indeed, they could best best described as clumsy. I always had trouble telling where I was getting shot from, killing people was never that satisfying, and the melee system was pretty clumsy too. In both games.

In fact, going between Halo and Battlefield, and I could sum it up as follows: fluid and clumsy.

senador

Banned
Yeah let's not get into Nintendo "knowing their customers so well" in here. Nintendo has fucked up so much lately IMO.

To keep it Halo:

My friends and I did Reach LAN last night. 5 of us. 2 of us play a lot, 3 never do. They sucked bad. I thought bloom would be better on LAN. It is in a way; it doesn't expand as fast and resets quick, but this only lead to the 3 non-players spamming and somehow still getting kills. It was ridiculous. They didn't win by any means but it still left me baffled.

We have done 3 Reach LANs now. Always plan to play CE for nostalgia, but they opt for Reach. It always turns into Hemorrhage all night. Not very fun.

LOL at the split screen draw distance and detail.

Kuroyume

Banned
I like the maps.

Major problem with Highlands is the AR starts. You have people on here complaining about the DMR's range. Just imagine how much more dull that map would be with something like that? It slows down the gameplay too much. The faster people die the better. I think the complaints about the fast spawning power weapons also hurt it. Games had a quicker pace to them with all those weapons. Now matches seem to drag on.

As far as Condemned goes it should have never shipped the way it is. The framerate drops when sniping through the middle are atrocious. Maps should never ship with problems like that. I really do feel like they placed other things in importance above gameplay when you encounter stuff like that. It's like... Are you seriously telling me that you guys saw fit to ship a map with a problem like that? You don't understand how difficult it is to shoot when the framerate dies? The second they saw that they should made a major effort to either fix it or scrap the map. I see the same thing happen in KOTH games on Swordbase. Sometimes the hill will spawn in the middle of the map and the framerate just dies as explosions rapidly set off with all the grenades raining from above. Try sniping or shooting while scoped with the DMR when that happens.

Gabotron ES said:

... wait for it ...

...NOT A SINGLE ONE!

No.

I have the map packs so there's no reason why I should be against it but it just makes me think of Halo 3 and how I would be locked out of playlists that I'd want to play because I didn't have one of the required map packs. This mostly happend with BTB and later on after Heavies so by that time I already made up my mind that H3 sucked, but it was still unfair to be locked out of that playlist. It's wrong. I don't understand the complaints when there's a premium slayer list.

Required DLC is wrong. It just is.

Dax01 said:
In fact, going between Halo and Battlefield, and I could sum it up as follows: fluid and clumsy.

Clumsy is the best way to put it when describing Halo. 5 minutes to cross maps because you're slow as a turtle. Takes forever to switch your weapons. Nothing better than being vulnerable for a minute while you wait for the damn animation to finish. Enjoy dancing around while you're getting shot at. Throw grenades as if you're an old woman. Matchmaking... LOL.

kylej

Banned
Kuroyume said:
The framerate drops when sniping through the middle are atrocious. Maps should never ship with problems like that. I really do feel like they placed other things in importance above gameplay when you encounter stuff like that. It's like... Are you seriously telling me that you guys saw fit to ship a map with a problem like that? You don't understand how difficult it is to shoot when the framerate dies? The second they saw that they should made a major effort to either fix it or scrap the map.

Don't forget, this is an All New Engine™ from the developers at Bungie! COD runs at 60fps steady with 100x the amount of shit going on at once. It must be the power of the grey basic geometric shapes. Those things are brutal. I understand Bungie was probably busy using the same Resources™ for campaign and matchmaking, but really the framerate should've been worked on before release.

Kuroyume said:
No.

I have the map packs so there's no reason why I should be against it but it just makes me think of Halo 3 and how I would be locked out of playlists that I'd want to play because I didn't have one of the required map packs. This mostly happend with BTB and later on after Heavies so by that time I already made up my mind that H3 sucked, but it was still unfair to be locked out of that playlist. It's wrong. I don't understand the complaints when there's a premium slayer list.

So I should be locked to one or two playlists to play the maps I payed for? seems a bit unfair.

Kuroyume said:

No it's not, just make Squad Battle, Team Objective, Invasion and BTB All DLC required (included Anniversary) this would also increase the amount of non grey forge world maps we play on. Defiant and Noble were decreased to 400 mp not too long ago, right?

Havok

Kuroyume said:
No.

I don't think that required DLC is the right direction to go in, but I also don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to play the maps they bought with the amount of people and gametypes they were obviously designed for. I've never played (in matchmaking) 4v4 Condemned, I've never played 8v8 Highlands. That's not okay. They need to step up their matchmaking to facilitate more DLC-centric matches. Why there isn't a DLC-only search restriction is beyond me. That would solve all my issues with it.
senador said:
Maybe true, but Condemned has some pretty fun objective in my opinion since the hallways and more areas get used. When its slayer it just devolves to running to the Zero G room.
Condemned Objective has awful spawns. Take the bomb through maintenance bay? Guess what, the entire enemy team will spawn in there now. And the low grav sections in Reach really annoy me for some reason, especially on Anchor 9 (that spawn on the ledge out there is the worst thing ever). It just seems to slow everything down to a crawl, and jumps stop being predictable at a point, with the slightest bump screwing up your jump to rocket spawn.

feel

kylej said:
Don't forget, this is an All New Engine™ from the developers at Bungie! COD runs at 60fps steady with 100x the amount of shit going on at once. It must be the power of the grey basic geometric shapes. Those things are brutal. I understand Bungie was probably busy using the same Resources™ for campaign and matchmaking, but really the framerate should've been worked on before release.
Bungie kinda phoned Reach in, that's all Microsoft's fault for asking for 2 Halo games post breakup.

FyreWulff

kylej said:

Call of Duty also runs at 600p, while Reach runs at 720p.

Letters said:
Bungie kinda phoned Reach in, that's all Microsoft's fault for asking for 2 Halo games post breakup.
I did find it extremely telling that Chris Butcher said he's essentially been working on Destiny since Halo 2's release during the Bungie HaloFest panel. That's about the time that Jones went into his hidey hole, as well.

Top Bottom