• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Risen

kylej said:
Don't forget, this is an All New Engine™ from the developers at Bungie! COD runs at 60fps steady with 100x the amount of shit going on at once. It must be the power of the grey basic geometric shapes. Those things are brutal. I understand Bungie was probably busy using the same Resources™ for campaign and matchmaking, but really the framerate should've been worked on before release.

Reach may have its issues... but there is no comparing the feature set offered in Reach with the last couple CoD titles. You can't compare the frame rate of a game with solid matchmaking, solid campaign, theater, forge, and firefight with a game with a much smaller feature set.

Having said that... I want 60fps in Halo... get rid of the fluff and give me incredible matchmaking, incredible campaign, and a theater where my team of 4 can watch the film at the same time and I'm a happy happy man.

kylej

Banned
Risen said:
Reach may have its issues... but there is no comparing the feature set offered in Reach with the last couple CoD titles. You can't compare the frame rate of a game with solid matchmaking, solid campaign, theater, forge, and firefight with a game with a much smaller feature set.

Having said that... I want 60fps in Halo... get rid of the fluff and give me incredible matchmaking, incredible campaign, and a theater where my team of 4 can watch the film at the same time and I'm a happy happy man.

Half-assed features like Forge and Firefight do nothing for me. Hell I don't even need a campaign. I would be more than happy to pay $40 for digital download multiplayer only Halo 4 + Theater with Youtube rendering + locked 60fps.

Homeboyd

The first time I noticed the stash of Banshees on the top of the FF map "Corvette" sadly wasn't too long ago..

Not sure why this is relevant to anything being discussed. I just saw them again and it made me think of the first time I noticed them.

Who hasn't seen them!? Come on! I know somebody has missed em!

kylej said:
Half-assed features like Forge and Firefight do nothing for me. Hell I don't even need a campaign. I would be more than happy to pay $40 for digital download multiplayer only Halo 4 + Theater with Youtube rendering + locked 60fps.

I really really really want this, b.net is nice and all but silverlight sucks!.

Homeboyd said:
The first time I noticed the stash of Banshees on the top of the FF map "Corvette" sadly wasn't too long ago..

Not sure why this is relevant to anything being discussed. I just saw them again and it made me think of the first time I noticed them.

Myself, explain please

Yes lets hope 343 didn't toss 60fps as the first thing out of that plane like Bungie does.

FyreWulff said:
Call of Duty also runs at 600p, while Reach runs at 720p.

Technically it runs at 480,720 or 1080p. Its native resolution would be 600p. Its like how you can choose resolutions on a PC game and the higher you go the more taxing it is on the system. Regardless of if you change the textures or not.

With that said, Reach ran better than H3 so hopefully they can work some magic and make this one even better.

60fps is important. Its just so damn smooth. I fucking love everytime I switch over to CoD, I love it and then I get sad because its not Halo. Halo is a great fucking game, and it deserves to be 60fps.

FyreWulff said:
Call of Duty also runs at 600p, while Reach runs at 720p.

Not to mention that the textures in COD all look like they're from the year 2000.

As long as Halo actually ran at a consistent 30 frames per second, I would have no issues.

I feel that requiring DLC (thats not free) in core playlists is wrong, and thats coming from someone that rages about how pathetic the implementation of DLC maps is in Halo. People shouldn't be required to pay more than 60 bucks just to play the game.

What would really help would be if instead of the Premium Slayer and Premium Battle there was Premium 4v4 grab bag and premium BTB playlists.

Risen said:

The more I play Reach the more I agree with the sentiment that Reach is not Bungie's "best effort". The game shipped with maps that were just plain terrible (Original Zealot, The Cage), in the wrong playlists (Countdown in BTB???), or were literally broken (frame-rate on Asylum when scoping). Auto-sniping from passenger seats and/or randomly getting flung off the map while driving is not a feature I remember from Halo 3. Ignoring the game-play design choices (Armor Lock, grenades, movement), the game as shipped was not as polished as Halo 3.

Heading into Reach's release and even for weeks after I was really excited. Then I kept finding flaws upon flaws. Eventually I got that less than feeling. Now I play it because friends play and because it's just the current entry in the franchise that I used to love but now just sort of like. Save us Frankie.

It is better than entries in other franchises, but not what I expected post Halo 3. Or even post ODST which was a more polished game put out by a smaller dev team with a smaller budget in a smaller time frame.

Homeboyd said:

Aren't they seraphs?

Homeboyd

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea those Banshee cells are the part you bounce Fuel Rod Shots off of to get amazing leet pro FF kills with.

None of you here would know anything about that though. Cause you are bad kids.
:(

biosnake20 said:
Very cool summary. Definitely gives you a lot to think about. Humans almost immediately at the beginning of the game? Interesting.

Though I do disagree with some of their assessments. Right at around the part when one of them says, "This is when it gets exciting," they conclude that in that concept art, and the one following it – the Primordium cover – the ships are Covenant. I strongly disagree with them. They don't look Covenant at all. Who would have ships like that? The Brutes? I doubt it.

Striker

kylej said:
Randomizing gimmicks over defined variables, aesthetics over gameplay, and size over scale. Welcome to modern Halo.
Halo games circa 2007-present day

I still can't fathom what made them think Isolation would be exciting to play on.

Crucio

Homeboyd said:

Funny enough I just recently realized the same thing. I've been bouncing shots off of those shields for a long time and just recently someone pointed out that they were banshee docks. Awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
You can bounce rockets off them too.
It also bounces plasma of most types. Fun stuff!

They should remake Standoff but have it just be the bases and middle, cut off all that dish shit around the edges and backs. Itd be a solid 4v4 DMR map with some great standoffs at the rocks. Objective gametypes would work too like MultiFlag and Neutral Bomb.

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
They should remake Standoff but have it just be the bases and middle, cut off all that dish shit around the edges and backs. Itd be a solid 4v4 DMR map with some great standoffs at the rocks. Objective gametypes would work too like MultiFlag and Neutral Bomb.
Rather see Colossus.

GhaleonEB

Risen said:
FLUFF

Give me great maps from the developer any day.
I share the sentiment, but the ability to customize maps is essential for custom games. I can't imagine going back to not being able to replace weapons, move spawns, objectives, etc. Even if the ability to edit maps isn't made more robust (and it should be), that kind of stuff is core to Halo now.

Homeboyd

Ok Gaf I need to request a render. This is pretty funny...

So Im playing some Premium Battle... start a game off on Breakpoint, One Bomb Assault. Teammate of mine decides right off spawn to hop in our falcon and immediately start trying to smash into everyone (other teammates) and run them down. Finally gets killed by the enemy and spends most of the remainder of the round shooting at us.. meh.. whatever..

We go through 3 rounds of this.

Fourth round starts and I get to the Falcon first. Jump in the cockpit and he and a buddy (for some reason) jump in the gunner seats...

So... this had to happen. (needs a render.. its only 15 sec)

lol no betrayals either

Willeth

Homeboyd said:

So Im playing some Premium Battle... start a game off on Breakpoint, One Bomb Assault. Teammate of mine decides right off spawn to hop in our falcon and immediately start trying to smash into everyone (other teammates) and run them down. Finally gets killed by the enemy and spends most of the remainder of the round shooting at us.. meh.. whatever..

Fourth round starts and I get to the Falcon first. Jump in the cockpit and he and a buddy (for some reason) jump in the gunner seats...

lol no betrayals either
Cooking.

stephen08

Homeboyd said:

lol no betrayals either

Rendering.

EDIT: So apparently it's rendering for both me and Willeth. That sucks :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
Pretty well done, as most of their rewind theaters for Halo stuff has been. Some observations could be made based on other imagery - the teaser trailer, Cryptum's cover - but they did a pretty good job noting what is worth nothing.

After seeing the concept art trailer at the Halo 4 panel, it dawned on me that we got concept art for Halo 4 via Cryptum 5 months before Halo 4's announcement and we never even knew it.

Frank even mentioned Halo 4 on GAF a month or so before Reach released saying to someone who was skeptical about how big of a Halo game Reach would be that it would be 'Halo 4 in terms of scale'.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
After seeing the concept art trailer at the Halo 4 panel, it dawned on me that we got concept art for Halo 4 via Cryptum 5 months before Halo 4's announcement and we never even knew it.

Frank even mentioned Halo 4 on GAF a month or so before Reach released saying to someone who was skeptical about how big of a Halo game Reach would be that it would be 'Halo 4 in terms of scale'.

Should Cryptum's cover art also be considered Halo 4 concept art also?

MrBig

Dani said:
Should Cryptum's cover art also be considered Halo 4 concept art also?
They talked about that in the panel. The cover art was developed with the concept art team and is part of that series.

(I actually am not sure about which book is Cryptum, I might be thinking of something else. I'm referring to the piece with the brown color palette and some ships in the comp.

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
Don't forget, this is an All New Engine™ from the developers at Bungie! COD runs at 60fps steady with 100x the amount of shit going on at once. It must be the power of the grey basic geometric shapes. Those things are brutal. I understand Bungie was probably busy using the same Resources™ for campaign and matchmaking, but really the framerate should've been worked on before release.

Call of Duty runs at 60fps steady?

Lol, since when?

Maybe on PC. Never on consoles.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So sexy.

cryptum05.jpg

Primordium_cover_art.jpg

kylej

Banned
Merguson said:
Call of Duty runs at 60fps steady?

Lol, since when?

Maybe on PC. Never on consoles.

Better to dip to 40 with ridiculous shit going on than run at 25 with nothing but grey blocks in your level.

juices get online scrub

kylej said:
Better to dip to 40 with ridiculous shit going on than run at 25 with nothing but grey blocks in your level.

juices get online scrub

No You.

I'm drinking coffee with Double Espresso flavored Vodka and alcohol infused Cream. Fuck yes.

Retro

ncsuDuncan said:
My proposal? Merge the Spartan Laser and the Focus Rifle.

Good stuff. A few minor thoughts, though;

1. Instead of a zoom scope, perhaps have a 'vehicle tracker' that displays a reticule (but doesn't actually lock on) to vehicles? In that way, it's not very easy to pick off infantry with it from afar, but it can still nail vehicles easily because of the on-screen indicator.

2. Just tossing this out there, but maybe the weapon itself doesn't cause any real damage, to infantry or vehicles. Instead, it's more of an "EMP Beam". On vehicles, it causes the controls to get sloppy for the first couple of seconds (like the Focus Rifle, you have to keep the target in your beam's path) and then causes the vehicle to explode after the charge builds up.

On infantry, however, it would cause no damage (or very low damage) but could disable AAs temporarily. Like getting shot with it for a second or two drains the energy, but getting the full sustained charge locks them out for something like 4 or 5 seconds.

Because, you know, I can see using it to 'sweep' across a room to drop Active Camo or (my favorite) knock out a jetpacker's rockets in mid-air. Not terribly cheap because you'd have to have amazing accuracy to keep the beam on a quickly falling target.

Dani said:

Very sexy, but... I know it's concept art and that can mean lots of creative liberties and nothing is set in stone, but if Chief is alone on Sigma-7... who the hell is standing next to him?

TheOddOne

Retro said:
Very sexy, but... I know it's concept art and that can mean lots of creative liberties and nothing is set in stone, but if Chief is alone on Sigma-7... who the hell is standing next to him?
I think thats -- not going to spoil anything -- but its related to the story and characters in Cryptum.

Retro

TheOddOne said:
I think thats -- not going to spoil anything -- but its related to the story and characters in Cryptum.

Say no more. I may actually get around to reading some of the Halo books in the near future, I spent a good part of yesterday on the Halo Wiki and it kind of sparked my interest.

TheOddOne

Retro said:
Say no more. I may actually get around to reading some of the Halo books in the near future, I spent a good part of yesterday on the Halo Wiki and it kind of sparked my interest.
I'm doing the same too :)

Letters said:
Bungie kinda phoned Reach in, that's all Microsoft's fault for asking for 2 Halo games post breakup.
For all of Reach's faults, I don't think for a second that the game was phoned in. Overly ambitious, I can agree with that most definitely. Many things suffered because Bungie attempted to cram too much in the game. But saying it's not representative of a shitload of hard work is a total cheap shot to a company that I know you love.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
squidhands said:
For all of Reach's faults, I don't think for a second that the game was phoned in. Overly ambitious, I can agree with that most definitely. Many things suffered because Bungie attempted to cram too much in the game. But saying it's not representative of a shitload of hard work is a total cheap shot to a company that I know you love.

No doubt the folks that worked on Reach gave the project everything they could, but did Bungie devote the same resources to Reach as it did Halo 3? Some of the features in Reach aren't up to the standards of their previous Halo game (Theatre) and after playing the game for a long time you start to notice many small things about the game that should have had more polish applied, where you'd expect more polish to have been applied, like in past games but wasn't or weren't.

Reach is a great accomplishment for the Bungie folks that worked on it, but I have serious doubts Reach represents Bungie's full and entire focus as a development studio.

Lazslo

Barrow Roll said:
Where did you get the ring tone? That's an awesome idea.

I always wanted to change my text received and text outgoing to the SuperIntendent sounds as well but that requires jailbreaking my phone apparently and that's just too much work for different bleeps and bloops.
Not sure where I got it from actually. I think one day around the time the game shipped Bungie released the Ringtone. I'm sure with some hunting on the HBO Bungie Weekly Update Page you can absolutely find it, I'll try and find it. I tried also to make it my text tone but at the time my iPhone wouldn't let me, weird.

Edit- Whoa I can't find HBO's weekly update Archive!
Edit 2: I found it- But it's not on the homepage unless I missed it- they probably took it off because Bungie got lazy/doesn't like their fans and doesn't want to let us know what's going on :(jk but seriously they need to step it up and start the WWU again.
Edit 3; FOUND THE RINGTONE

Top Bottom