• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Striker

Farooq said:
He could have done so much more with the playlists.

Everything was bland and when there was popular support for certain playlists/gametypes, it took them forever to get it out. By the time they were out, the demand was gone, and the population moved onto another game.

Honestly, anyone who played a ton of Halo could see the mistakes made in certain hoppers.
I wouldn't deny the issues in the playlists were a huge sour taste at the game for me. The boring gunplay, equipment, poor maps, and the way Bungie took a huge dump on the games like Assault, Flag, 3 Plots, and attempted to jam gametypes like Territories and VIP down our throats was something else. Those reasons were icing on the cake for the game getting tedious, and simply not fun anymore. Playlists sucked, yeah, little to no changes to things like Team Objective, and Team Snipers sat in Ranked Team Slayer for over a year - it just didn't go over well period.

Lazslo

Nice new thread bros, I like the title name Ghal. Just getting around to watching all the panels- Dani big shout out to you for the FUD summary page of Halo Fest- Thanks. I'm currently on day 6 of no power at my house. At first it sucked, now I'm just enjoying the simplicty of life without electric. Anyway, I'm watching all the youtube videos on my Iphone then driving around for a half hour to charge my phone back up so I can wake up for work with the Iphone Alarm. Lots of people lost their entire life here at the Jersey Shore so I can't complain much for not having power, I'v been told I'm getting electric back next Wednesday so good times ahead. T Minus 7 Days.

Anyway I'm watching the Multiplayer discussion right now and It's great. Really Psyched that we have Franky and David Ellis as community guys for the next 10 years- they really come off as down to earth, overall great dudes. I just really wish Terminal made the final cut but fuck it, we got Headlong(Shhhh)- the Best BTB/One Flag/One Bomb Multiplayer Map ever :) Can't wait to get back online in November.

Woorloog said:
Hmm... immersive most likely. Maybe too immersive... I'd probably get dizzyness and headache. And somehow i doubt it's kind to eyes either, though maybe that's been accounted for.

Think Mirror's Edge with those.
That would be the best thing ever.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
Well not as bad as I thought. If they really do what it's said they do that would probably be a cheaper alternative to a giant assed HDTV that does 3D.
I have to admit I am tempted to get them but I wouldnt be able to use a headset with them and if my friends come over its a giant FU to them lol

wwm0nkey said:
I have to admit I am tempted to get them but I wouldnt be able to use a headset with them and if my friends come over its a giant FU to them lol

netsuit-02.jpg

Hey guys i've been gone recently.

I've pretty much finished moving into my new appartment, and by that I mean the xbox and tv is hooked up :p.

I'll be back on soon.

However today at the local Borders I got Halo Cryptum for only 9 Dollars!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27_StarWolf said:
Hey guys i've been gone recently.

I've pretty much finished moving into my new appartment, and by that I mean the xbox and tv is hooked up :p.

I'll be back on soon.

However today at the local Borders I got Halo Cryptum for only 9 Dollars!

You should have bought it full price and in hardback. Frankie's gold-plated Xbox Live standby foot peddles don't come cheap.

Risen said:
As it is now... you can have perfect aim with a rather large chance of randomness making you miss the final head shot that would provide a kill. Combine this with the internet and there is a huge imbalance in those that can spam shots at range and kill while others cannot.

A reduced cone (bloom) means a LESS likely chance of a random MISS relative to perfect aim.

The net effect is that aim becomes more important than the random shot placement within the bloom.

Yes - reduced bloom does tighten the cone where random shots are placed, but it slides the scale to the side of aim being the determining factor more and more.

The less the bloom, the more important the aim becomes at all points in time relative to shot placement.
There's no such thing as a random miss, if you miss it's because you took the risk of firing in a reticle that was too large for your target. The amount of risk you take in this regard is completely under your control. What I am talking about is the random headshot scenario, where one player fires 5 shots at the max rate, and hits the headshot with the highest bloom of the encounter. Reducing bloom increases the possibility of this scenario.

HiredN00bs said:
There's no such thing as a random miss, if you miss it's because you took the risk of firing in a reticle that was too large for your target. The amount of risk you take in this regard is completely under your control. What I am talking about is the random headshot scenario, where one player fires 5 shots at the max rate, and hits the headshot with the highest bloom of the encounter. Reducing bloom increases the possibility of this scenario.
No it doesn't, because you have to be aiming at the head more precisely.

Farooq

Banned
Mojo said:
no, no i would not

I know it's hard to believe but I can give you an example of one VIP variant.

It would be a mixture of VIP and team slayer. You kill the VIP you get 3 points, you kill a regular joe you get 1 point (score goes up to 50 like a regular slayer game). The VIP has overshield but he also gives overshield to everyone within his vicinity.

It was incredibly fun, marked with a lot of teamwork of trying to stay with your VIP to get the benefit of the OV, but trying to kill the opposing team and their VIP. Add in all the other components of a competitive game like controlling power weapons/power ups and map control and you have a great gametype.

There were other gametypes made by the same person. I remember one being a variant of slayer. Everyone had 5 lives, if you die you cannot spawn until a member on your team kills an opposing team member. So you would have situations where there is one surviving member of your team left, vs 4 members of the other team. The remaining player would get a kill, and he would spawn in his entire team so the tide would turn, and now it's 4 vs 3. It would keep going until you ran out of lives.

It was incredibly fun, and I wish the majority of the community got to play creative gametypes like that.

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
I really wanted to snag one but I told me: You have already one, you idiot. Other people deserve it more than you. I think some of these people sell it on ebay already. :/ My conscience sucks sometimes...

btw. it's this pic already posted? I didn't notice it in OT5. It is so sexy. (Maybe some CEA spoiler)

Don't know if it was in the OT but I know for sure it was on the halofest OT. Beautiful shot but the lack of blood where there should be is a bit disturbing. Course we do know it's a work in progress so hopefully blood will be added back in some of the spots there was some.

Where is the dang bulletin? I'm hanging out here. Help me.

On a side note, it's my first wedding anniversary today. Ideas? Probably just going to do flowers/dinner - she's not a big Halo fan so perhaps the wrong place to ask.

Lazslo

Hey You said:
The Halo Bulletin.
Ohhh okay cool- the waypoint update right? I'v been so out of the loop lately- If that's what the 'Bulletin' is then damn I use to look so forward to reading the Bungie Updates- To the point where I'd wait to read it before going out in College- Or literally reading them at house parties or bars on my phone (Back in the day when Luke would take forever to post that shit, like 9-10pm Eastern) Now, I might have read one of the 343 Updates, I need to get on the ball again. I read somewhere that either HBO or FUD is Archiving them so I'm gonna go read up on them.

Farooq said:

It would be a mixture of VIP and team slayer. You kill the VIP you get 3 points, you kill a regular joe you get 1 point (score goes up to 50 like a regular slayer game). The VIP has overshield but he also gives overshield to everyone within his vicinity.

It was incredibly fun, marked with a lot of teamwork of trying to stay with your VIP to get the benefit of the OV, but trying to kill the opposing team and their VIP. Add in all the other components of a competitive game like controlling power weapons/power ups and map controls and you have a great gametype.

There were other gametypes made by the same person. I remember one being a variant of slayer. Everyone had 5 lives, if you die you cannot spawn until a member on your team kills an opposing team member. So you would have situations where there is one surviving member of your team left, vs 4 members of the other team. The remaining player would get a kill, and he would spawn in his entire team so the tide would turn, and now it's 4 vs 3. It would keep going until you ran out of lives.

It was incredibly fun, and I wish the majority of the community got to play creative gametypes like that.
that actually sounds really interesting

darthbob

Lazslo said:
Ohhh okay cool- the waypoint update right? I'v been so out of the loop lately- If that's what the 'Bulletin' is then damn I use to look so forward to reading the Bungie Updates- To the point where I'd wait to read it before going out in College- Or literally reading them at house parties or bars on my phone (Back in the day when Luke would take forever to post that shit, like 9-10pm Eastern) Now, I might have read one of the 343 Updates, I need to get on the ball again. I read somewhere that either HBO or FUD is Archiving them so I'm gonna go read up on them.

I'd prefer to call them WUs.

ElRenoRaven

Blue Ninja said:
50 players on Chiron. Beli343.

*twitches uncontrollably*

WTTTTFFFFF have you done to me? *twitch twitch* The nightmares I'm going to have now because of you. *twitch twitch*

The only map I have ever hated in the franchise.

Risen

HiredN00bs said:

By that logic there is no random "hit" either. Regardless of your statement shot placement is random within a cone of probability within bloom... Thereby creating random hits and misses relative to the aim. (shots not going where aimed/intended)

You are right in the amount of risk is completely under your control... what is not is the imbalance created by the ability of some to assume MORE risk than others depending on connection, combined with the effects of said random placement.

Reducing or eliminating bloom lessens/removes the chance for the random hit/miss RELATIVE to aim (key words there)... it also reduces the imbalance in the ability of some to assume more risk by spamming over distance (while others cannot) which again lessens the connection gap created by bloom.

Off topic but Crimson is released today, the first Bungie Aerospace partnered app, looks like its free aswell. Cant wait to check it out. :p

cory021

Neo Member
Farooq said:

It was incredibly fun, marked with a lot of teamwork of trying to stay with your VIP to get the benefit of the OV, but trying to kill the opposing team and their VIP. Add in all the other components of a competitive game like controlling power weapons/power ups and map controls and you have a great gametype.

Here were a few games I used to play back in H3 that used VIP:

Agents was a 2 sided VIP game where the VIP was invisible and had a sniper, but was killed by like 3 bullets. Your teammates were stronger when you were within about 50 meters of your VIP. You only have 5 lives and the round ended when the VIP died. It was very tactical and fast-paced.

Asset was a one sided VIP game where the VIP was Vergil from ODST. He had Overshields and a Plasma Pistol (to EMP vehicles). His teammates were ODSTs and had to defend the Asset from the Covenant (other team) for 4 minutes. The Covenant used a spawn system that was actually really similar to Reach's Invasion loadouts.

So yeah, VIP custom games were really fun.

Oh, if you guys are interested, I suggest reading the threads; they're actually pretty nicely made.

Top Bottom