• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
Would anyone be up for doing halo 3 customs at some point in the future?
Make sure you are all from the same general region. I had a 12 player H3 custom game recently, and holy hell was it awful.

Pretty much learning a bunch of the shit maps in reach are beyond saving.

Duncan/Gabo when we had flag blue still spawned on bottom. When we didn't have it then we spawned on top. When you guys had it I spawned in that computer room both times. No way to save flag then.

Next customs can we just play fun stupid close quarter shit on the decent maps?

Ken

Tunavi said:
Ghaleon kept talking about he would never stop playing Deus Ex for weeks.
Yeah well my twitter is blowing up with him hating on the game LOL

I've heard a few people who disliked the first hour or so, but it gets a lot better after the tutorial stuff.

Gui_PT said:
I try not to complain because we have a lot of that already, but..

I was spawn camped, teleporter camped, shotgun camped, shotgun+evade camped, rocket camped...

Why would... Why?

Customs are for fun. They're not for winning or having a positive k/d (actually, this applies to MM too, but that's a different case)

Just play the game! I literally have a headache from not being able to do anything in the matches because of the camping :lol

I remember Halo 3 customs. Man, those were fun. People joined in and played just because it was fun.
I even remember a few games on Valhalla with Dax where we'd enter the enemy's base and ask for permission to pick up their flag before taking it :lol

Sorry for the mini rant.

The issue is trying to balance the people who just want to have silly fun with the people who want a more competitive game I guess? But you can't fix broken maps and I don't know what's up with the community big team maps but they're just too damn big in my opinion. The big maps just bore me I hope I'm not alone in this.

Striker

Devolution said:
The issue is trying to balance the people who just want to have silly fun with the people who want a more competitive game I guess? But you can't fix broken maps and I don't know what's up with the community big team maps but they're just too damn big in my opinion. The big maps just bore me I hope I'm not alone in this.
Problem is partly the maps and its design choices, it's also the DMR being such a long ranged rifle and killing any movement a player may do in an open area. Coag had movement everywhere.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
Someone said over had invis and sniper. Was that true? If so, SON I AM DISAPPOINT.

The man was using Armor Abilities provided to him in the award winning AAA video game Halo: Reach. Give him a break, he just got a little excited playing One of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time. Son, I am proud.

kylej said:
The man was using Armor Abilities provided to him in the award winning AAA video game Halo: Reach. Give him a break, he just got a little excited playing One of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time. Son, I am proud.

What are you up to brah.

Striker said:
Problem is partly the maps and its design choices, it's also the DMR being such a long ranged rifle and killing any movement a player may do in an open area. Coag had movement everywhere.

True. Being 5 shot on spawn from an incredible distance away is just a mood killer regardless of how lighthearted and fun it's supposed to be.

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
What about Needle Rifle starts? They don't rip vehicles to shreds, right?
Then people whine because they don't like a pink gun. The complaining about Classic's use of the NR because "nothing about the Needle Rifle is classic," despite it behaving closer to the Battle Rifle and CE Pistol was laughable.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
What are you up to brah.

My teeth on the right side of my mouth hurt when I put pressure on them. Drinking tea and blowing off this essay I have to write. If anyone wants to do a quick 4 pages on Socrates response to Thrasymachus' view of justice in Book 1 of The Republic please let me know I'll trade lessons for it. I've read The Republic 10 times for other classes I can't take it any more.

Havok said:
Then people whine because they don't like a pink gun. The complaining about Classic's use of the NR because "nothing about the Needle Rifle is classic," despite it behaving closer to the Battle Rifle and CE Pistol was laughable.

Maybe we should just have more crazy slayers on close quarter maps. I mean I can play some competitive shit with a bunch of you against randoms, but I rarely play fun stupid ass shit with you guys.

kylej said:
My teeth on the right side of my mouth hurt when I put pressure on them. Drinking tea and blowing off this essay I have to write. If anyone wants to do a quick 4 pages on Socrates response to Thrasymachus' view of justice in Book 1 of The Republic please let me know I'll trade lessons for it. I've read The Republic 10 times for other classes I can't take it any more.

I'm blowing off a whole marketing plan about how to rebrand Frys. Look at that ugliness.

Devolution said:
Maybe we should just have more crazy slayers on close quarter maps. I mean I can play some competitive shit with a bunch of you against randoms, but I rarely play fun stupid ass shit with you guys.
There is MLG and then there is NASCAR. There is no middle ground.

Thanks for putting up with my maps everyone. I still have some forging to do it seems.

Recarpo

I'm getting on to take on some college football saturday frustration on poor mm souls. Invite/message recarpo if you want in on the slaughter.

ncsuDuncan said:
There is MLG and then there is NASCAR. There is no middle ground.

Thanks for putting up with my maps everyone. I still have some forging to do it seems.

Right the nascar stuff is just too much, I too get tired of it. It might be an inherent problem with Reach as well though, that it's hard to make something semi-competitive without a bunch of people not diggin' it.

kylej

Banned
Devolution said:
I'm blowing off a whole marketing plan about how to rebrand Frys. Look at that ugliness.

frys.png

Re-design complete. Enjoy your A.

Havok

Devolution said:
I agree. Stuff like that and even minigames would be more fun than trying to balance teams and having a kind of mediocre experience all around. Trying out Forge maps can be great, but its so rare to get a good balanced game going. If we really feel like doing competitive stuff, BTB has a max party size of 16. Hell, since everyone has DLC, we might even get a Highlands game.

feel

dat truskill

15oea3c.jpg

Tashi0106 said:
Real men have German Shepards Pitbulls
jslv89.jpg

If there isn't a chance that after it grows he decides to kill all your loved ones while you sleep, you don't have a real man's pet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The twitter rage is palpable, please stream your Deus Ex playthrough for me. I need to see what's going on.

Lol who choked on blue team three times? Close to perfect game.

Syracuse022 said:
That dong-da-dong-dong-dong.

Also, Dax called.He says he wants his AR back.[/url]

Watchu talking about? Did I use the AR? I've started doing that occasionally, I've reached 100% Adaption in Reach recently.

xxjuicesxx said:
Lol who choked on blue team three times? Close to perfect game.

Watchu talking about? Did I use the AR? I've started doing that occasionally, I've reached 100% Adaption in Reach recently.

What are you up to as well brah?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Devolution said:
Thanks. Yesterday after class (which is 8:30 am - 3:00 pm) I went to my bf's pal's house and lanned reach till 11:30 pm (everyone there were either noobs or bks). Ate some sushi and burgers, drank some mimosas, and <insert female equivalent of donging too hard>. I came home exhausted, fell asleep then woke up with a headache and nausea.

Had like 2 vomiting episodes, the second of which was literally water. Awful. I managed to eat some chicken noodle soup earlier that I hope I can just digest since I haven't been able to eat anything all day otherwise.

Mamming on bros.

Or wailing on them with thy rod and distaff.

senador

Banned
I thought customs were fun. Do people take them to seriously or something?

The few problems I had were: Blue Team never left base on Highlands CTF (probably Highlands fault), Forge maps (not much choice really) and getting used to never before played maps, the DMR. I love the hitscan single shot DMR, but it sucks on wide open maps. Better designed maps would help, but what else? Having the DMRs range drop off?

senador said:
I thought customs were fun. Do people take them to seriously or something?

The few problems I had were: Blue Team never left base on Highlands CTF (probably Highlands fault), Forge maps (not much choice really) and getting used to never before played maps, the DMR. I love the hitscan single shot DMR, but it sucks on wide open maps. Better designed maps would help, but what else? Having the DMRs range drop off?

I got annoyed with the huge maps because I was bored to tears by them. It was like "dong, get donged", rinse, repeat. There was nothing dynamic or engaging about them to me.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Mamming on bros.

Or wailing on them with thy rod and distaff.

Homeboyd said:
Let me introduce you to the Taco Squat.

lol.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I got annoyed with the huge maps because I was bored to tears by them. It was like "dong, get donged", rinse, repeat. There was nothing dynamic or engaging about them to me.

I didn't care for those maps really, but I never really had a problem being in the action. I died a lot. :/

I liked the map with the 2 Falcons though, that one seemed alright. Still pretty huge though.

PNut

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Would anyone be up for doing halo 3 customs at some point in the future?

Yeah, Halo 3 customs were a lot of fun. Crazy gametypes though. Like Halo on Halo, Ice Cream Man, Battle Lazers, Dunk Hunt, Jenga, etc....

senador said:
I didn't care for those maps really, but I never really had a problem being in the action. I died a lot. :/

I liked the map with the 2 Falcons though, that one seemed alright. Still pretty huge though.

I think it's mostly a problem with Reach. There really is no getting around big maps without being taken out from ridiculous distances with the DMR.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I think it's mostly a problem with Reach. There really is no getting around big maps without being taken out from ridiculous distances with the DMR.

How can this be changed for future games while keeping hitscan?

Devolution said:
What are you up to as well brah?

Having some drinks with the girlfriend, looks like you had a rough day which sucks because the amount of cleansing was astronomical. Might get on later though.

I always drink a glass of water and take 3 ibuprofen before bed after a night of eating/drinking/donging though. Makes the morning not suck.

Retro

Devolution said:

I think the problem with Big Maps is that they often feel made for vehicles, but with the way Reach's vehicles are set up, nobody ever wants to play with them on.

I can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle on a map and said "Hey, that would be useful right now". On the few maps that actually do support vehicles, they feel like a really good way to draw attention to yourself and give the opposing team a chance at a nice fat multi-kill.

Not like Halo 2 or 3 where you'd hop into a warthog and have a blast tearing things up (my favorite; warthog jousting) until somebody eventually took you out. A bit overpowered, but that was always counterbalanced by being highly visible, loud, and the loss of control (gunner cannot drive, driver cannot gun).

I feel like Reach really screwed the pooch on vehicles, which were almost a fourth tier in Halo (not quite on the level of the Grenades/Melee/Guns, but still essential to the Halo experience).

xxjuicesxx said:
Having some drinks with the girlfriend, looks like you had a rough day which sucks because the amount of cleansing was astronomical. Might get on later though.

I always drink a glass of water and take 3 ibuprofen before bed after a night of eating/drinking/donging though. Makes the morning not suck.

I usually never have a problem. I think it was the long day + not enough water that got to me.

Senador said:
How can this be changed for future games while keeping hitscan?

Make the bullet drop off at a certain range. Or weaken the bullets when they pass a certain distance. The open maps without more routes to the bases especially suffer.

I think the problem with Big Maps is that they often feel made for vehicles, but with the way Reach's vehicles are set up, nobody ever wants to play with them on.

I can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle on a map and said "Hey, that would be useful right now". On the few maps that actually do support vehicles, they feel like a really good way to draw attention to yourself and give the opposing team a chance at a nice fat multi-kill.

Not like Halo 2 or 3 where you'd hop into a warthog and have a blast tearing things up (my favorite; warthog jousting) until somebody eventually took you out. A bit overpowered, but that was always counterbalanced by being highly visible, loud, and the loss of control (gunner cannot drive, driver cannot gun).

I feel like Reach really screwed the pooch on vehicles, which were almost a fourth tier in Halo (not quite on the level of the Grenades/Melee/Guns, but still essential to the Halo experience).

Another DMR induced problem actually. Most of the time when I get in vehicles, they just get ripped to shreds by the DMR.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
What about Needle Rifle starts? They don't rip vehicles to shreds, right?

I'll just say right now the Nerfle just doesn't feel right. I don't like that it takes 7 shots, I don't like that it feels so weak...

Its superficial stuff, but it makes a difference. The DMR feels right when you're shooting it, despite bloom and all that.

Retro

Devolution said:
Another DMR induced problem actually. Most of the time when I get in vehicles, they just get ripped to shreds by the DMR.

Exactly; it feels like it just moved Halo's optimal combat range too far out, everyone just seems to want to hang back and pick each other off rather than close in with a mid-range and then finish with a close-range or melee. Even BRs in Halo 3 didn't have this effect.

People used to fight each other for the Shotgun and the Sword, but in Reach they're more like... "If I see one, meh, why not, I need something in my second slot".

The few times I venture into BTB, nobody touches the hogs or somebody just tosses a grenade to stop people from climbing into it and getting killed. Mongeese feel like a way to quickly get across the map and that's about it. I had a game on Wayont and people actually used the Warthog... and were quickly destroyed by DMR fire from every angle at once.

Sniper Rifles also seem way too strong in this case, I remember the best way to take out a Warthog was to try and snipe the driver, then pick off the passengers before they can get to cover. Now it's like ding-ding-ding-Triple Kill.

Dunno. Reach is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm really hoping Halo 4 has Halo 2-quality MP, minus Dual Wield and plus Reach's netcode. And the Pit from H3... god I miss the Pit. Even after playing it a ton of times it still managed to be fun.

Ramirez

Two weeks in a row I see that customs were a grand success, keep up the good work! :p

"If Deus Ex were a demo, I'd have quit & deleted it by now, never to play it again. 10+ insta-deaths in the second encounter, UI is horrific"

Something tells me we'll see Ghaleon before the week is out.

Sanjuro

I need to get back into customs and find some people that play regularly.

No real life friends playing the game anymore. Less fun overall. I get a sick/guilty feeling when I've been without any spartan action for too long.

Retro said:
Exactly; it feels like it just moved Halo's optimal combat range too far out, everyone just seems to want to hang back and pick each other off rather than close in with a mid-range and then finish with a close-range or melee. Even BRs in Halo 3 didn't have this effect.

People used to fight each other for the Shotgun and the Sword, but in Reach they're more like... "If I see one, meh, why not, I need something in my second slot".

The few times I venture into BTB, nobody touches the hogs or somebody just tosses a grenade to stop people from climbing into it and getting killed. Mongeese feel like a way to quickly get across the map and that's about it. I had a game on Wayont and people actually used the Warthog... and were quickly destroyed by DMR fire from every angle at once.

Sniper Rifles also seem way too strong in this case, I remember the best way to take out a Warthog was to try and snipe the driver, then pick off the passengers before they can get to cover. Now it's like ding-ding-ding-Triple Kill.

Dunno. Reach is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm really hoping Halo 4 has Halo 2-quality MP, minus Dual Wield and plus Reach's netcode. And the Pit from H3... god I miss the Pit. Even after playing it a ton of times it still managed to be fun.

You pretty much summed it up there not much to add. The DMR did move combat too far out, hence all the turtling that happens in Reach. I just get really frustrated with Reach since it has such a skewed risk/reward system to me. Take a look at a map like Highlands, you risk nothing and you're given shotty, rockets and sniper on your side. You can see much of the other base from your own. What's the point in venturing out?

No I get the feeling hes trying to get through not caught. Pickup your pistol and just 3 shot those BK's. They barely fight back and the first two or three you can kill without being seen.

You wanna get the Dermal Armor too quickly. Theres not too many enemies in those games so its always easiest to have a dependable pistol/snipe and some good damage control (health pack, armor)

Like take the upgrades for instance that let you see through walls and let you track enemies. That shit isn't really important because after dieing and reloading two or three times you already know where they are and what they are going to do. So basically you're wasting upgrades to MAYBE save time reloading if you manage to survive the first time because of them.

Its like taking the free level perk in Fallout. Its a complete waste because eventually you'll gain levels anyways.

As for your deaths taking too long. That's why I'm on PC (High FPS). I die and I'm playing again in a couple seconds (My shit loads fast)

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Ghaleon kept talking about he would never stop playing Deus Ex for weeks.
Yeah well my twitter is blowing up with him hating on the game LOL
Firing it up again now, after a date with the wife.

I said before, that any game featuring iron sights is a huge red flag for me, because it implies a number of other things about the game design. And every one of my pre-existing assumptions has been spot on.

If I end up liking the game, it will be despite terrible UI and clunky game mechanics, not because it's fun to play.

Halo has really spoiled me in the UI department. Deus Ex features very quick deaths, and then you get a screen asking if you want to load from the last checkpoint. Um, yes? Why assume I'm done playing when I die once? Then, it has to load up again, cue 15 second loading screen. Halo's death to trying again in five seconds set the bar ten years ago and supposedly AAA games still haven't figured this shit out. [/rant]

Ken said:
I've heard a few people who disliked the first hour or so, but it gets a lot better after the tutorial stuff.
I'm hoping to be one of those people. Everything about the game so far makes me want to throw it back in the box and hit up Elite Slayer on Sword Base for something more fun and better designed.

Retro

Devolution said:
You pretty much summed it up there not much to add. The DMR did move combat too far out, hence all the turtling that happens in Reach. I just get really frustrated with Reach since it has such a skewed risk/reward system to me. Take a look at a map like Highlands, you risk nothing and you're given shotty, rockets and sniper on your side. You can see much of the other base from your own. What's the point in venturing out?

There isn't any. And maps like Boardwalk only feed into the problem with too many long hallways, elevation changes. I can't speak for everyone, but I miss maps like the aforementioned Pit, Lockout, Midship, Zanzibar, Turf...

I actually kind of tried to do a Turf-like map with "Beach"; rooftop areas to for long range and sniping, narrow streets below for the close-range fights, power weapons in high risk positions, etc.

Hell, even Ascension was a blast when you didn't have to worry about DMRs bearing down on you from across the map. You'd have snipers, but plenty of ways to counter them. Same with Ivory Tower, the hallway of doom was still a meatgrinder, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Reflection with DMRs.

With Reach's DMRs, slower speed and AAs, I find the frantic "keep-moving-keep-shooting-clear the room and press on" style of H2 & 3 has been replaced with a much more cautious, careful style. If you start running around too much or don't check every damn corner you get plinked with DMR fire from multiple angles or somebody hovering in a corner with a jetpack appears and assassinates you.

But maybe that's just me.

Edit: Sometimes I get the feeling I'm just missing the point and should just learn to play better instead of analyzing the game to death and noting the flaws. Especially since I stopped playing it for a solid 6 months after spending most of my time in Forge anyways. So, it's nice to hear that I 'summed it up' from somebody who's put a hell of a lot more time in than I have... it means I'm not a complete moron.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow, this whining about the DMR is too much. Why not just remove scoped weapons from Halo 4 and make more variants of the sword, hammer, and shotgun? Sword and shotgun starts for Halo 4. They finally include a decent non sniper weapon that can hit people further than 5 feet and now it's the cause of everything wrong with the game. My warthog driving sucks. DMR's fault. Stuck myself with a grenade. DMR's fault. I got "pooped on" by better players. DMR's fault.

Tired of it. How about you stop blaming the DMR and start blaming the fact that you move like a handicapped old woman in this game? Want to know why you're so vulnerable in BTB? It's because you're slow as shit.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

I said before, that any game featuring iron sights is a huge red flag for me, because it implies a number of other things about the game design. And every one of my pre-existing assumptions has been spot on.

If I end up liking the game, it will be despite terrible UI and clunky game mechanics, not because it's fun to play.

Halo has really spoiled me in the UI department. Deus Ex features very quick deaths, and then you get a screen asking if you want to load from the last checkpoint. Um, yes? Why assume I'm done playing when I die once? Then, it has to load up again, cue 15 second loading screen. Halo's death to trying again in five seconds set the bar ten years ago and supposedly AAA games still haven't figured this shit out. [/rant]

I'm hoping to be one of those people. Everything about the game so far makes me want to throw it back in the box and hit up Elite Slayer on Sword Base for something more fun and better designed.

I'm shedding manly tears of sadness right now.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:

You get used to the UI after a little while. Some tips: Typhoon (put a point in ASAP, you'll thank me at the boss fights), laser sighted 10mm pistol. Stop trying to do things perfectly and just roll with it.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
You get used to the UI after a little while. Some tips: Typhoon (put a point in ASAP, you'll thank me at the boss fights), laser sighted 10mm pistol. Stop trying to do things perfectly and just roll with it.
I'm at the second encounter (having snuck by the first), trying to take down three guys inside a room using stealth. The game does not give me prompts for take downs. I get up behind them, and stand there for 5-10 seconds alternately pressing and holding the B button, wondering why the hell I can't take anyone down. Then they turn around, my screen floods with red, and it's to the 'do you want to reload?' screen. I've done this 15 times now. How do I take guys down? I'm reading the manual and scouring the menu options and all they say is hold or press B. But nothing happens when I try it. :\

Retro

Kuroyume said:
Wow, this whining about the DMR is too much.

It's not just the DMR, but it's certainly part of the problem. It's AAs, movement speed, vehicle damage (and to some degree, control; the Reach 'hog feels so much lighter to me). All of these things combine to make large maps, which were what made Halo stand out so much among the cramped corridor shooters, flaky in Reach.

Nobody is saying DMRs are to blame for everything, just that DMRs radically change the ebb and flow to a point that it starts to feel less like Halo than it honestly should. This effect is amplified on large maps where the greater kill distance of the DMR essentially turns every fight into Snipers Lite.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone really push the center on Hemorrhage to nab the Plasma Launcher like they did for Rockets on Coagulation. People stay out of the vehicles (fearing the constant DMR plinking) so there's no incentive to have anti-vehicle weaponry. People shuffle around the map slowly to avoid getting caught in the open by anyone with a DMR. Lots of things add to that, but the DMR nullifies the buffer people had from everything except Sniper Rifles and leads to much more cautious, dull gameplay.

Top Bottom