• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB said:
I'm at the second encounter (having snuck by the first), trying to take down three guys inside a room using stealth. The game does not give me prompts for take downs. I get up behind them, and stand there for 5-10 seconds alternately pressing and holding the B button, wondering why the hell I can't take anyone down. Then they turn around, my screen floods with red, and it's to the 'do you want to reload?' screen. I've done this 15 times now. How do I take guys down?
Do you have at least one bar of energy, you need a bar per takedown.

Kuroyume said:
Wow, this whining about the DMR is too much. Why not just remove scoped weapons from Halo 4 and make more variants of the sword, hammer, and shotgun? Sword and shotgun starts for Halo 4. They finally include a decent non sniper weapon that can hit people further than 5 feet and now it's the cause of everything wrong with the game. My warthog driving sucks. DMR's fault. Stuck myself with a grenade. DMR's fault. I got "pooped on" by better players. DMR's fault.

Tired of it. How about you stop blaming the DMR and start blaming the fact that you move like a handicapped old woman in this game? Want to know why you're so vulnerable in BTB? It's because you're slow as shit.

What is with this failed ass troll.

I dong on kids hard in BTB. Kill them on spawn or while they're moving across map from hilarious distances with the DMR. I'm sure they love that and it doesn't cause them to ragequit. I can see where it causes a stand still in BTB. It's more detrimental to BTB play than beneficial. And the maps don't help because they offer little way in moving across map without the issue of being pinged from an opponent from a vast distance. So what happens? You either get a really one sided game or a game that ends in a tie/no one scoring. I don't think I've seen a game on hemorrhage (or its FW edits) yet that was competitive with both teams scoring. I've seen some last minute scoring of one bomb arm for instance but I've yet to see any push and pull, it's usually just one team with their face in the mud.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I'm at the second encounter (having snuck by the first), trying to take down three guys inside a room using stealth. The game does not give me prompts for take downs. I get up behind them, and stand there for 5-10 seconds alternately pressing and holding the B button, wondering why the hell I can't take anyone down. Then they turn around, my screen floods with red, and it's to the 'do you want to reload?' screen. I've done this 15 times now. How do I take guys down? I'm reading the manual and scouring the menu options and all they say is hold or press B. But nothing happens when I try it. :\

Have you got your robot arms yet? You need to get augmented before you can do takedowns. Yeah you're in the training phase.

GhaleonEB said:
A what of what? My screen has nothing on it other than cross hairs.
Oh man, I just remembered, you don't get Takedowns till a certain point in the story, don't want to fill up this thread with DX stuff, but that could be it, totally forgot that after 40hrs where it was doable.

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
You're still in the tutorial phase then.
I'm really confused. I'm not allowed to play a stealth style yet? I thought that was the point of the game. The gun play is horrific and I'm trying to avoid it.
Dani said:
Have you got your robot arms yet? You need to get augmented before you can do takedowns. Yeah you're in the training phase.
None of any kind, even non-lethal?

Last question, I didn't want to go get shit on in the Deus Ex thread. Sorry for the de-rail.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm really confused. I'm not allowed to play a stealth style yet? I thought that was the point of the game. The gun play is horrific and I'm trying to avoid it.
No, you can totally play stealthy, just sneak past everyone when they aren't looking to new cover.

Also I didn't get an answer earlier, is zerofire the closest person in distance to me now? (I'm in the Bay Area north of SF) Because I want to experiment with sending some stuff out.

Booshka

Devolution said:
Also I didn't get an answer earlier, is zerofire the closest person in distance to me now? (I'm in the Bay Area north of SF) Because I want to experiment with sending some stuff out.
I live in SoCal if that helps

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

None of any kind, even non-lethal?

Last question, I didn't want to go get shit on in the Deus Ex thread. Sorry for the de-rail.

The game doesn't start properly until after the Lab section. You will get your first takedown tutorial after it's finished and no, you can't do any takedowns until you get augmented.

You can play stealthy during the intro, but that means sneaking past everyone.

After the intro, you'll never have to fire a gun again if you choose (bosses excluded).

Best advice is get past that intro section and into the real game ASAP.

feel

Guys, guys, guys relax! You should all know by now that Ghal's trustworthiness when it comes to opinions on all things Halo doesn't translate well at all to good opinions when talking about other games. xD

Just ask him for his personal opinion on your favorite games ever, go ahead, prepare to be heartbroken. :p

edit- and I'm bailing out for the night, still haven't gotten around to playing Deux Ex and don't want to know details

btw about Firefly (maybe spoilers)
Out of Gas episode was a great change of pace!! so good!! fuck you FOX!!!

The gunplay is actually pretty good for a game thats not really a "shooter"

I'd suggest sitting in that training and figuring it out.

I'm doing good quickscoping enemies with the sniper.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the answers. Just gave up for the night. Clunky game is clunky. The UI is clunky, the controls are clunky, the game mechanics are clunky. I'm just frustrated and exasperated by an exceptionally inelegant game system.

Be back on Halo tomorrow.

Kuroyume

Banned
Devolution said:
What is with this failed ass troll.

I dong on kids hard in BTB. Kill them on spawn or while they're moving across map from hilarious distances with the DMR. I'm sure they love that and it doesn't cause them to ragequit. I can see where it causes a stand still in BTB. It's more detrimental to BTB play than beneficial. And the maps don't help because they offer little way in moving across map without the issue of being pinged from an opponent from a vast distance. So what happens? You either get a really one sided game or a game that ends in a tie/no one scoring. I don't think I've seen a game on hemorrhage (or its FW edits) yet that was competitive with both teams scoring. I've seen some last minute scoring of one bomb arm for instance but I've yet to see any push and pull, it's usually just one team with their face in the mud.

If they ragequit it's because they suck. There is nothing stopping them from picking up or switching to that weapon and dealing with you. Stop blaming the weapon.

xxjuicesxx said:
The gunplay is actually pretty good for a game thats not really a "shooter"

I'd suggest sitting in that training and figuring it out.

I'm doing good quickscoping enemies with the sniper.
It's far easier to get into than the gunplay in the original, from memory the reticule sway was ridiculous at the start.

Booshka

Letters said:
Guys, guys, guys relax! You should all know by now that Ghal's trustworthiness when it comes to opinions on all things Halo doesn't translate well at all to good opinions when talking about other games. xD

Just ask him for his personal opinion on your favorite games ever, go ahead, prepare to be heartbroken. :p
I'm cool with him, Ghaleon almost got banned for being a viral marketer of Shadowrun when he was praising the game before Brimstone took over the duties.

Kuroyume said:
If they ragequit it's because they suck. There is nothing stopping them from picking up or switching to that weapon and dealing with you. Stop blaming the weapon.

Given the spawns on hemorrhage there wasn't much they could do actually. The weapon slows down big team, why would you argue different?

Homeboyd

Anyone got any other decent footage of some of the new maps? Even a PAX off-screen would work...

Can't wait for those things to drop :(

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
Given the spawns on hemorrhage there wasn't much they could do actually. The weapon slows down big team, why would you argue different?

He's mother fucking Kuroyume. Its like, his job.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a new babysitting gig Saturday nights for these freaking AWESOME kids. We spent the evening climbing on street signs, playing the Game of Life (made up our own rules, so it was fun), listening to Queen, and hitting each other with foam Nerf maces. SO AWESOME.

But it means I'm going to be missing customs indefinitely. :-(

I'm getting on for a few games now if yall aren't too pooped
on
yet.

Booshka

xxjuicesxx said:
Haha Enable is playing FF on his stream and hes like " Oh these kids suck"
I was watching that, calling Elites BK's essentially. Ghaleon could give those guys some FF pointers though.

Merguson

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Sounds like Ghaleon has been spoiled by Bungie.

And now Bungie's in bed with the devil. Oh what to do?

Letters said:

He definitely brings some entertainment, that's for sure.

I know I absolutely hate one of his favorite game this generation. Opinions are opinions I guess. :p

Merguson

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Activision are only publishing Destiny, nothing more nothing less.

I was just making a quip (a terrible one I suppose?). However, in response to your statement...

There are additional terms in the Agreement between Bungie and Activision that were never disclosed.

As long as we are not aware of these additional terms, we don't know the full extent of the partnership. Two sentences do not mean anything.

Homeboyd

wwm0nkey said:
Activision are only publishing Destiny, nothing more nothing less.
Wonder how far we are still out from hearing beta details...

CEA will be wonderful to keep me busy. I almost always have to have something to look forward to regarding Halo. Some event, some reveal, a beta, TU, etc..

They got me hooked man, what can I say?

Tunavi said:
FUCKING RANDOMS

oh wait I don't need teammates because I just won a 6v1 game.

L to the fucking OL.

Whoa, I just won a 4v1 today!

W I N C E P T I O N

I have the film, if anyone's interested.

Though yeah, you have a huge advantage in Slayer because there's way more enemies to kill and way less teammates to die. It's pretty fun going 4/6/whatever v 1, actually. It feels like a sort of practice mode or something.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
What is going on, is there going to be a HaloGAF meet up or something? lol
Just setting up Firefight MM squads based on location. :trollface:

Devo has some mailing experiment she needs to try out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's two pairs of HaloGAFers who live in the same town, hah. Anyone here live in Portland, OR?

I just bought Trenched on XBLA. Holy shit. So fun. No bloom.

stephen08

I'm amazed that people are advocating a switch back to the previous main weapons. The DMR is an excellent weapon and I will be crushed if we are back to rate-capped spread laden BRs in Halo 4.

Although in a perfect world there is room for both weapons to coexist to offer both playing experiences.

Ramirez

DMR's range needs to be nerfed hard, it's annoying in BTB. Shouldn't affect small maps, but you shouldn't be able to ping people from across Hemo with a non power weapon, pretty dumb.

We had a hilarious game of 2 Flag Slayer on Zealot tonight where it kept spawning the guys right in front of us. 3 People in the basement and me in the top mid, and the game refused to spawn them any where but their basement, was hilariously broken.

Top Bottom