• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

Letters said:
Are you joking or are they really restricted for now?

Happened when I tried it just now. I'll try again in 15.

edit: now it just says "Upload Failed".

Also we can't get the infection achievements to pop.

PooBone

Been gone for a week, can't possibly catch up on all this. Been trying to avoid videos of skulls and terminal locations with success so far. One more day!

FyreWulff

Squad: 171
BTB: 36
FFA: 36
Firefight: 35
Classic: 43

We also just found out if someone just has the Anniversary disc maps in your party, the rest of the Reach matchmaking playlists are hidden until they leave.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

We also just found out if someone just has the Anniversary disc maps in your party, the rest of the Reach matchmaking playlists are hidden until they leave.

Hmmmmm.

FyreWulff said:

Thanks Fyrewulf!

feel

thanks hired.

I just noticed the new maps already show up on the games' map list next to the others, and if you select them a marketplace popup lets you buy them. They cost like 4 trillion microsoft points right now lol.

Man it sucks seeing the maps' descriptions and beautiful thumbnails and not being able to jump right into them and shoot some walls.

PsychoRaven said:
What? That sounds like a pretty nasty bug. Hopefully that gets fixed quick.
No, it's clearly intentional. You want people to search in Reach lists without Reach maps? Although that would make Anniversary maps show up more...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hitmonchan107 said:
I love being able to heal myself and beat the s*** out of bandits at the same time.
:-O

I'm five hours into the game, and I had no idea this was possible. This may be a literal game changer for me, haha.

feel

wow

This pistol is insane, no way this will be fun in matchmaking once everyone gets decent. Might as well call it swat.

Please 343i, a classic flavoured 5sk zerobloom/verylowbloom DMR playlist!! You can't just disregard Halo2/3 gameplay and fans like this!!! (unless you're planning an epic comeback of it for halo 4 ans are trying to make Reach look as bad as possible)

PooBone

FyreWulff said:

Good. No worries about me accidentally winding up in a vanilla Reach playlist ever again!

PooBone

kylej said:
Isn't TTL one of those Bungie-stroking, feel good websites? I feel like GAF has cleansed them many a time. Oh well.

Juices for 343.
Don't say a bad word about Bungie over there.... like "man, I wish Bungie wasn't working with Activision based on....." They will crucify you. Some true dickheads on that site's forums.

FyreWulff

PooBone said:
Don't say a bad word about Bungie over there.... like "man, I wish Bungie wasn't working with Activision based on....." They will crucify you. Some true dickheads on that site's forums.

They spent PAX 2007 BXRing everyone to death then complained when the flag was floorcapped on Terminal in the Halo 2 LAN :lol

Risen

FyreWulff said:
They spent PAX 2007 BXRing everyone to death then complained when the flag was floorcapped on Terminal in the Halo 2 LAN :lol

I assume you're laughing because one is a glitch that allows skill to shine and provides more dynamic game play while another is a glitch that removes skill from the equation entirely. /sarcasm

On a serious note... can't wait to play some CEA!

Hey You

PooBone said:
Nope,We're just tired of people thinking that Activision bought Bungie and will shut them down etc etc :p

PooBone

FyreWulff said:
Also note: good day to turn on your Halo PC nameplate if you have it.

I haven't seen it on anyone else yet ;_;
I use the nameplate that requires all the other Halo nameplates to be unlocked. I think it says "HALO?"

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
Never heard anyone say they thought that was the case.

Hell I've seen that spewed here at Neogaf even. Several always come into a new Bungie thread and are like Activision's just going to do them like they did other developers they've bought and run them into the ground and then close them. So I can only imagine how many go over there and pull that shit.

Letters said:
wow

This pistol is insane, no way this will be fun in matchmaking once everyone gets decent. Might as well call it swat.

Please 343i, a classic flavoured 5sk zerobloom/verylowbloom DMR playlist!! You can't just disregard Halo2/3 gameplay and fans like this!!! (unless you're planning an epic comeback of it for halo 4 ans are trying to make Reach look as bad as possible)
Just out of curiosity, load up the Classic gametype on a map variant that has DMRs (or switch starting weapon to DMR). I assume they will use zero bloom...

Really excited for CEA tomorrow. IThis weekend I've got a Halo LAN with my old high school/college friends that we've been planning for months. They're all too cheap to buy CEA since they just got Skyrim, but with the excellent news of Day 1 DLC I think I'll convince a few to drop at least $15 this weekend once they see the new maps.

Striker

Is the Classic 4v4 playlist using the CE Pistol and 85% bloom DMR? I'm just wanting some objective games in Beaver Creek, Hang 'em High, and others. Curious how the DMR will be in the BTB one as well (85% will work well for it, despite the hindrance of the 3x zoom).

PooBone

FyreWulff said:
Anniversary Slayer in the playlist is the 3SK pistol and 85% DMR if you pick it up off the map.
The DMR is in Anniversary Slayer?

WTF?

Does the pistol also have bloom?

EDIT: Next you're gonna tell me the classic games have armor abilities. *shudders*

KevinRo

Tha Robbertster said:
They 'll actually be available tomorow, on HCEA's release :)

crap lol all this talk about playlists I thought it was released today >.<

It's weird. This is one of the most un-hyped Halo releases ever... All my friends wont even bother picking it up, they're all caught up in MW3 and BF3. :( It's a shame because the original Halo is amazing.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:

WTF?

EDIT: Next you're gonna tell me the classic games have armor abilities. *shudders*

Gotta love that classic don't you. After all nothing says classic like the DMR. smh

daedalius

PooBone said:

WTF?

The Pistol supposedly has the same bloom as it did in CE if you hold the trigger down. If you fire it semi-auto it has no bloom.

But yea, DMRs... dunno why they are in there at all. Even on the BTB maps, 2x would be fine.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
Gotta love that classic don't you. After all nothing says classic like the DMR. smh
Classic isn't deploying equipment and jumping like you're on the moon, either.

It's a wait and see process. I'm hopeful they are accepting any changes for the playlists if they do deem appropriate. I'm not exactly sure why there's both the CE Pistol and 85% bloom DMR (which is great, I think) as starting weapons in Anniversary BTB. I would have figured it's one or the other, and for instance, the Pistol is a weapon on the map. Still would have loved the DMR going to 2x zoom, but that isn't going to happen unfortunately.

PooBone

daedalius said:
The Pistol supposedly has the same bloom as it did in CE if you hold the trigger down. If you fire it semi-auto it has no bloom.

But yea, DMRs... dunno why they are in there at all. Even on the BTB maps, 2x would be fine.
Yeah but who ever held the trigger down on the pistol? Single shot it didn't have bloom. I keep hearing that and it's BS.

I anticipate after a few weeks of playing Anniversary's multiplayer, everyone will be bitching about the pistol being too powerful, and 343 will feel vindicated in their decision to not remake an unbalanced MP game with online, and they'll patch Reach to nerf the pistol again.

Not really sure how I feel on the matter personally, but if they're gonna make a classic fuckin playlist, get rid of the goddamn bloom and the DMR. Shit!

feel

The state of Reach matchmaking is very frustrating. Every time I get together with non-forum friends I realize that people who don't follow forums have no clue what's up with the hundreds of gametype variations and the game feeling so awkwardly different from match to match, and why the best Classic gametypes don't get playlists, or just wtf is going on with the unsatisfying and bizarre decisions all the time. No wonder population numbers are embarassing.

343i, can you please disclose the name of the person in charge of playlist decision making??

daedalius

PooBone said:
Yeah but who ever held the trigger down on the pistol? Single shot it didn't have bloom. I keep hearing that and it's BS.

Was just quoting what I think David said :p

I never played H1 enough to really comment on how the pistol works in practice.

3sk pistol, with hitscan, and its current level of aim-assist, is going to be pretty sick. 5sk ZB, no AAs, might be a more truer experience. Of course, that is just broken on bigger maps. I think 85% is a happy medium, I guess. Better than what we have currently, that's for sure.

KevinRo

PooBone said:

I anticipate after a few weeks of playing Anniversary's multiplayer, everyone will be bitching about the pistol being too powerful, and 343 will feel vindicated in their decision to not remake an unbalanced MP game with online, and they'll patch Reach to nerf the pistol again.

Not really sure how I feel on the matter personally, but if they're gonna make a classic fuckin playlist, get rid of the goddamn bloom and the DMR. Shit!

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

First off, the greatest thing about the Pistol that is missing is the ability to lead your shots long distance. That was great. Incredible, actually. I miss it.

You have to understand that they're taking the Reach engine and trying to recreate the original Pistol experience in this engine by tweaking some of the damage variables. You can't do that.

Original Halo multiplayer had different mechanics. Your pistol was THE weapon. If you wanted a power up you timed it or grenade launched a weapon to yourself. Totally different play mechanics.

It was not overpowered, it was the weapon of choice. The new pistols sound like beta scrawns compared to the original pistol. Just shoot the 2 and you can hear the difference. Ontop of that, Halo:CE had weapons that actually served a purpose, ala the Plasma Pistol/Rifle stunning your enemies movement.

> overpowered, unbalanced

Tawpgun

KevinRo said:

First off, the greatest thing about the Pistol that is missing is the ability to lead your shots long distance. That was great. Incredible, actually. I miss it.

You have to understand that they're taking the Reach engine and trying to recreate the original Pistol experience in this engine by tweaking some of the damage variables. You can't do that.

Original Halo multiplayer had different mechanics. Your pistol was THE weapon. If you wanted a power up you timed it or grenade launched a weapon to yourself. Totally different play mechanics.

It was not overpowered, it was the weapon of choice. The new pistols sound like beta scrawns compared to the original pistol. Just shoot the 2 and you can hear the difference. Ontop of that, Halo:CE had weapons that actually served a purpose, ala the Plasma Pistol/Rifle stunning your enemies movement.

I'd say this.

PooBone

KevinRo said:

I agree with this, it was kinda the point I was making. Reach is a different game and just having an overpowered pistol is going to make it unbalanced, and 343 will see it as proof that they made the right decision, and that they knew all along the pistol was overpowered. In that CE sandbox, though, it isn't.

Reach's multiplayer is kinda turning into a disaster. Maps aside, Firefight has been completely shelved and ignored, missed its full potential. There's too many playlists and too much confusion around what gametypes are where. The population is split between so many different game types and the average person has no idea what the different names in the voting boxes even means. The TU brought about some nice changes, but now it's so hard to know what the hell you're getting when you jump into a game. For instance, has move speed/jump height been adjusted at all in the anniversary playlists? Are there ZB gametypes in the anniversary playlists? Are any of the "Reach" variants on these old maps going to be in the Anniversary playlists? Will those variants show up in vanilla-Reach playlists? Will there be ANOTHER DLC-only playlist for vanilla-Reach players that buy the Anniversary pack, or will they just get access to these anniversary playlists? Are there armor abilities in the anniversary playlists? Why the hell is the DMR still in classic gametypes?

And I'm someone who DOES follow the forums and reads every weekly bulletin.

daedalius said:
Was just quoting what I think David said :p
Yeah I know, that's what I'm talking about, not taking shots at you. It is a BS excuse, but one that must be made because Anniversary had such a short dev cycle and some of the things that would be required to actually get a classic experience were apparently impossible to do via a TU.

I suspect I'll find my playlist I like, play 100 or so matches on the new maps, then move on from Reach.

daedalius

I wouldn't mind seeing leading shots come back in addition to no bloom, but I guess when networking gets sloppy, leading shots gets even sloppier. Maybe why most weapons are hitscan in reach?

PooBone said:
Reach's multiplayer is kinda turning into a disaster. Maps aside, Firefight has been completely shelved and ignored, missed its full potential. There's too many playlists and too much confusion around what gametypes are where. The population is split between so many different game types and the average person has no idea what the different names in the voting boxes even means. The TU brought about some nice changes, but now it's so hard to know what the hell you're getting when you jump into a game. For instance, has move speed/jump height been adjusted at all in the anniversary playlists? Are there ZB gametypes in the anniversary playlists? Are any of the "Reach" variants on these old maps going to be in the Anniversary playlists? Will those variants show up in vanilla-Reach playlists? Will there be ANOTHER DLC-only playlist for vanilla-Reach players that buy the Anniversary pack, or will they just get access to these anniversary playlists? Are there armor abilities in the anniversary playlists? Why the hell is the DMR still in classic gametypes?

I do know there is increased jump height, player speed, and gravity (to prevent ice-skating feel I guess, extra jump height offsets this though) in the Classic/Anniversary game-types.

I know CEA BTB has a mix of Classic and Reach types, but Reach types with the TU changes (85% bloom, AL nerf, etc)

Yea, it is a bit convoluted.

Magni

Retro said:
Oh god, it's like the literal meaning of the term "Dead Weight". I think one would have to be purposely running into the line of fire to get a spread that low.

I had that happen to me yesterday. People quitting at the start are a pain, but at least they aren't costing you deaths. People not playing are a bigger pain but at least the other team needs to go find them. But people actually going to the middle of the map to get themselves killed 25 times in one game? FUCK those people, fuck 'em!

Top Bottom