• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
DMR's in Anniversary gametypes? Wut?

Is this from matchmaking experience? On the classic variants of the maps?

Looks like even in Anniversary game-type they are on the map as pickups. Guess I'll have to run around a bit in them if I can tear myself away from campaign later.

At least they are 85%. I remember shishka saying something about not even having DMRs when there are 3sk Pistols present, I guess that didn't go through.

ElRenoRaven

daedalius said:
Looks like even in Anniversary game-type they are on the map as pickups. Guess I'll have to run around a bit in them if I can tear myself away from campaign later.

At least they are 85%. I remember shishka saying something about not even having DMRs when there are 3sk Pistols present, I guess that didn't go through.

That's just beyond fucking stupid. Anniversary playlists should only have weapons that were in Halo. The one exception is Headlong since that did have the BR and since reach don't have that DMR could fill in for it.

daedalius said:

Yeah I feel that's how it should be. There was no DMR/BR in Halo CE, and the weapon doesn't really serve much of a purpose.

Kibbles said:
9/13/2010?

All Bungie/dev authored gametypes have a date stamp of 9/13/2010.

daedalius

PsychoRaven said:
That's just beyond fucking stupid. Anniversary playlists should only have weapons that were in Halo. The one exception is Headlong since that did have the BR and since reach don't have that DMR could fill in for it.

I guess its because the maps can be used in multiple game-types? Can weapon placement be affected by a specific gametype? or is that just tied to the map itself?

They are probably just there so they will work with the TU type games as well.

Even the BR was 2x :p

I like how they actually bothered to ROF cap the CE-mode pistol but seem to not want to do it for the zero bloom DMR.

Wow I really wish they would do thise with the DMR :( ZB/ROFcap would be amazing.

FyreWulff

All I know is that we were playing classic Beaver Creek and there was a DMR in the bottom tunnel of the bases. and it had 85% bloom.

Oddball is 85% bloom + bleedthru with the normal pistol.

The pistol blooms whether you hold the trigger (autofire) or you pulse the trigger. Crouching seems to have little to no effect.

I like how they actually bothered to ROF cap the CE-mode pistol but seem to not want to do it for the zero bloom DMR.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
All I know is that we were playing classic Beaver Creek and there was a DMR in the bottom tunnel of the bases. and it had 85% bloom.

The pistol blooms whether you hold the trigger (autofire) or you pulse the trigger. Crouching seems to have little to no effect.

Yea. That is one complaints from the beginning with the DMR. Whoever thought 3X zoom and that an uncapped rate of fire was a good idea should be forced to listen to the song Friday for 6 months straight day and night. It at most should have been 2x with a cap.

PooBone

FyreWulff said:

Thanks for all the updates and answering of questions, Fyrewulff, even if they aren't the answers I want.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:

It wasn't a matter of not wanting to do it, but rather it was outside the scope and scale for the TU.

daedalius

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. That is one complaints from the beginning with the DMR. Whoever thought 3X zoom and that an uncapped rate of fire was a good idea should be forced to listen to the song Friday for 6 months straight day and night. It at most should have been 2x with a cap.

<3 Sage

/sarcasm

It wasn't a matter of not wanting to do it, but rather it was outside the scope and scale for the TU.

I imagine its probably more involved than we think.

PsychoRaven said:
The DMR has a firing rate cap.

GhaleonEB

daedalius said:
I imagine its probably more involved than we think.
I'm sure it is.

Without understanding how hard that would be to pull off, it's still worth mentioning how good it would have been to have. ROF and bloom toggles are complimentary of one another. An appropriately ROF adjusted DMR would be lovely in BTB, for example. But that's the challenge with such an intergrated set of factors: adjust one, and to keep it in balance you need to ajust many more. It really never was reasonable to expect every tweak go alongside a suite of complimentary counter-tweaks. But within the scope of weapon balancing, ROF on the DMR would have been a great option for 343 to have.

HiredN00bs said:
The DMR has a firing rate cap.
I think he meant such a rapid ROF.

FyreWulff

U2MgPl.jpg

2pq37l.jpg

Maybe someone just missed it? (bungie.net is still classifying Anniversary screenshots)

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sure it is.

Without understanding how hard that would be to pull off, it's still worth mentioning how good it would have been to have. ROF and bloom toggles are complimentary of one another. An appropriately ROF adjusted DMR would be lovely in BTB, for example. But that's the challenge with such an intergrated set of factors: adjust one, and to keep it in balance you need to ajust many more. It really never was reasonable to expect every tweak go alongside a suite of complimentary counter-tweaks. But within the scope of weapon balancing, ROF on the DMR would have been a great option for 343 to have.

Well if it was known to be outside the scope and scale of the TU, maybe they shouldn't have told me that I was wrong for thinking that they just removed the bloom and did nothing else. Hmm.

Ken said:
Why not Dark Souls while the North American online population is still high?
This thread convinced me that Demon's Souls is still worth checking out. And while Dark is more of a spiritual successor than a true sequel, I like playing previous games in a series before later entries so I can get a greater sense of appreciation for changes and improvements. Or so I can lament them.

Anyone without the new maps want to try out the Anniversary gametype with me?

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
Not really. Did you see Fyrewulff"s post?
Yes, but I was responding to you, not him. I said:

GhaleonEB said:

And then you said:

HiredNOOBs said:
I wouldn't describe the ROF on the DMR as "rapid".

Then the AR question, which was...odd. To clarify my post, I think the DMR has a rapid firing cadence for a weapon of its power, range and precision, and that if that precision is increased, a ROF reduction would be ideal.

I thought that was implied, but hey.

daedalius

OuterWorldVoice said:
Halo 4 will be on Xbox 360 and use a modified core of the Halo engine(s). Not really a singular engine since it goes through fairly radical evolutions all the time.

Frank confirms H4 for both 360 and Xbox Next!

Also confirms H4 will be a radical evolution of the Halo engine!

/sarcasm

Tawpgun

daedalius said:
Frank confirms H4 for both 360 and Xbox Next!

Also confirms H4 will be a radical evolution of the Halo engine!

Umm. Halo 4 was only confirmed for the 360, which we already knew from E3. It's not going to be an Xbox Next game. But I'm sure it will be backwards compatible...

As for H4 being a radical evolution of the Halo engine, that depends on your definition of radical. A bunch of "radical" changes in the back end could translate to nothing more than a refinement of the engine to have it do more things and whatnot. H3 to Reach was pretty "radical" but I wouldn't call the performance changes from H3 to Reach radical.

GhaleonEB said:
I thought that was implied, but hey.
I'm just being difficult. I agree that the DMR as-is w/o bloom injures the balance of the sandbox, but I'd like people to remember that there are many qualities that make the DMR the weapon it is. Aim deceleration, bullet magnetism, damage per shot, rate of fire, static margin-of-error, progressive, cadence-based margin-of-error (bloom), clip size, maximum ammo, reload speed, along with other outside variables like player health, movement speed, player momentum, weapon swap speed, and weapon availability all contribute to how that weapon plays.

Condemning a designer for not implementing a specific rate-of-fire seems a bit simplistic, n'est pas?

daedalius

A27 Tawpgun said:
Umm. Halo 4 was only confirmed for the 360, which we already knew from E3. It's not going to be an Xbox Next game. But I'm sure it will be backwards compatible...

As for H4 being a radical evolution of the Halo engine, that depends on your definition of radical. A bunch of "radical" changes in the back end could translate to nothing more than a refinement of the engine to have it do more things and whatnot. H3 to Reach was pretty "radical" but I wouldn't call the performance changes from H3 to Reach radical.

I was just poking fun at what Frank said in the Xbox Next speculation thread really :p

Basically just because he didn't say ONLY 360... so who knows. I'm not really going to get worked up about it one way or the other. I added a handy /sarcasm tag to my post though.

FyreWulff said:
It'd be silly to make a separate Xbox Next version. 343 would never split the playerbase of a Halo game.

Could be cross-platform multiplayer compatible. If H4 had servers I guess it wouldn't really matter who connected to it; I see the next console cycle as basically the same in terms of software (dashboard is never going away on the 360) but improved hardware. We'll find out soon enough I imagine.

FyreWulff

daedalius said:
I was just poking fun at what Frank said in the Xbox Next speculation thread really :p

Basically just because he didn't say ONLY 360... so who knows. I'm not really going to get worked up about it one way or the other. I added a handy /sarcasm tag to my post though.

It'd be silly to make a separate Xbox Next version. 343 would never split the playerbase of a Halo game.

FyreWulff said:

Unless of course they played together and only the xbox next version was slightly better looking.

Still, I doubt it.

feel

Demoncarnotaur said:
Unless of course they played together and only the xbox next version was slightly better looking.

Still, I doubt it.
I want this. Wouldn't mind if it just looked a little better than the xbox 360 game but with super clean IQ.

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
I'm just being difficult.
*shakes fist*

HiredNOObs said:
I agree that the DMR as-is w/o bloom injures the balance of the sandbox, but I'd like people to remember that there are many qualities that make the DMR the weapon it is. Aim deceleration, bullet magnetism, damage per shot, rate of fire, static margin-of-error, progressive, cadence-based margin-of-error (bloom), clip size, maximum ammo, reload speed, along with other outside variables like player health, movement speed, player momentum, weapon swap speed, and weapon availability all contribute to how that weapon plays.

Condemning a designer for not implementing a specific rate-of-fire seems a bit simplistic, n'est pas?
I agree on that front. I'm guessing you are directing this as Fyre, since I'd said as much in my post.

The reality is adjusting any one toggle for something such as a weapon is generally never going to be ideal because of how many integrated factors go into defining the weapon. 343 picked the one that players most objected to, but that process inherently limits the range they can operate in and limits the contexts the changes can be deployed into.

We can't really second guess their decision making process because we weren't privy to it. In the end it likely just came down finding the highest-impact adjustments they could make within the time and resources they had. More would be better, but that's how it goes with anything. I can't really muster much else to say, since they did what they could do, and it's what we've got until Halo 4 hits.

I have another post about Firefight brewing, but I feel like I've berated them enough about it already. :lol

Speaking of firefight, how is the new map?

Letters said:
I want this. Wouldn't mind if it just looked a little better than the xbox 360 game but with super clean IQ.

Same, but I still dont think it will happen. I would be happily surprised if it does, but it seems like something that Kinect inspired microsoft would deem too confusing for the general user-base.

daedalius

GhaleonEB said:
I have another post about Firefight brewing, but I feel like I've berated them enough about it already. :lol

If its the only way we get something akin to limited back, please keep doing it.

Arcade is totally meh, should have never been put in. Survival is where its at. Wonder why they didn't just put in cases of guns like the campaign has, rather than infinite ammo boxes.

As for the DMR thing, I think 85% is a decent medium; shame we never really got to try out other percentages. Will be interesting to see how much cross-mapping occurs on the CEA BTB maps. Of course, if there is decent cover, which most of the maps seem to have, this shouldn't be an issue.

Homeboyd

Still looking for a map code. If anyone has an extra or is willing to trade when I pick my copy up tomorrow, I'd greatly appreciate it!

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Custom Challanges are up! made one and sent it to as many of you as it would allow me, 50 wins in 20 hours will get you 19k Cr
Awesome, I was hoping they would go up soon.

Hopefully there's a meaty Waypoint story to go alongside them, as I'm a little confused by what I can create. I wanted to test the waters by making a Challenge to get an Invincible medal (100 kills w/o dying) in Firefight Matchmaking. This is as far as I got:

SND.jpg

I selected the Medals category expecting that to lead to a populated list of possible medals to earn, but that didn't happen - just a # requirement. So the Challenge would be to earn that number of medals, presumably any kind.

I'm using my dated work browser, so I'm not sure whether this is a problem on my end, or whether the system is that limited. I was hoping to be able to specify specific enemy types, specific medals, etc.

The Waypoint update is very nice, need to spend some time poking around. But I like the sytle and organization so far.

Edit: Selecting "Kills of Enemy" pulls up the complete list of enemies, by species and rank, including vehicles. But selecting Medals just lets me set a number of them, not type.

Top Bottom