• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

LAUGHTREY said:
Source.

So I only get one copy of the maps with my disc? That's pretty fucking lame. I can swap the ODST disc around xbox to xbox but I can't with this.

What do you mean source. It was only in Invasion for Elites in the beta.

Devolution said:
What do you mean source. It was only in Invasion for Elites in the beta.

Yeah Bungie stated it many times, the Reach instruction manual says Evade is only for Elites if I recall correctly, and no default gametype in the game has a spartan loadout with evade.

OMG 2:20 in the morning, almost done with this fucking essay, then I'll be home free for thanksgiving break except for I have to stay in Pullman until Friday because a professor thought it would be cool to have a quiz the Friday afternoon before a ten-day break. No one gives a shit I know. /rant

Also, Explosions in the Sky are the shit.

Homeboyd said:
Isn't that the body where people believed, it would be the body of Marvin Mobuto? He's a character from The Flood and 343i said: Nope sorry, guys, it isn't him. So they're trying to hide him to get the fiction more clear. (still they could but a skull in there or an easter egg)

Edit.: btw. Siege Of Madrigal is part of the remastered soundtrack.

Edit.: Frankie, you teased too much. My heart can't take it. Do we meet a new
AI
in Primordium?

HiredN00bs said:
Man, oh man, are these new Defiant achievements going to be a pain in the butt to get.

Premium Battle (the only list to require the Defiant Map Pack) is now the most exclusive playlist in Halo: Reach. In order to play it, you must have the Noble, Defiant, AND Anniversary Map Packs. When we tried to find a match yesterday, there were 43 people currently playing in the list. Furthermore, having given players the choice between Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary maps, which do you think are getting voted the most right now?

Also, there is an achievement for being the Last Man Standing in Infection on a Defiant map. AFAIK, there's only one Defiant map in Living Dead--Condemned. A single player that doesn't have the DMP in that 12-player list destroys any hope of Condemned showing up.
The Defiant achievements are screaming for boosting.

Man, oh man, are these new Defiant achievements going to be a pain in the butt to get.

Premium Battle (the only list to require the Defiant Map Pack) is now the most exclusive playlist in Halo: Reach. In order to play it, you must have the Noble, Defiant, AND Anniversary Map Packs (and you must be playing on Halo: Reach proper). When we tried to find a match yesterday, there were 43 people currently playing in the list. Furthermore, having given players the choice between Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary maps, which do you think are getting voted the most right now?

Also, there is an achievement for being the Last Man Standing in Infection on a Defiant map. AFAIK, there's only one Defiant map in Living Dead--Condemned. A single player that doesn't have the DMP in that 12-player list destroys any hope of Condemned showing up.

HiredN00bs said:

Premium Battle (the only list to require the Defiant Map Pack) is now the most exclusive playlist in Halo: Reach. In order to play it, you must have the Noble, Defiant, AND Anniversary Map Packs. When we tried to find a match yesterday, there were 43 people currently playing in the list. Furthermore, having given players the choice between Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary maps, which do you think are getting voted the most right now?

Sounds like I'll need to enlist the help of HaloGAF for that Infected Achievement (to even get that map + gametype)

I'd love for premium battle to explode with population. the Noble+Defiant maps were the cream of the crop (except for breakpoint) of Reach, and it sounds like the Anniversary Maps are good as well.

Installation 04 is better than all of Reach's Firefight maps combined, including Unearthed. Two games have already trumped the 1200+ I've played so far in terms of enjoyment (love that chain 'hog). Thank you, 343 and CA. Get that Limited gametype going and I'll be in heaven.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
curious, am i the only one rethinking the "fact" that most of these classic maps are some of the best the series has to offer? nostalgia aside, hang em high, damnation, and prisoner, are very lopsided maps easily dominated by good teams (much like, say ascension, ivory tower, or the much loved uncaged). really enjoying the classic playlist, but wouldnt mind if some of the superior reach maps, like countdown, (yes, i just said that) get implemented into it at some point.

op_ivy said:
curious, am i the only one rethinking the "fact" that most of these classic maps are some of the best the series has to offer? nostalgia aside, hang em high, damnation, and prisoner, are very lopsided maps easily dominated by good teams (much like, say ascension, ivory tower, or the much loved uncaged). really enjoying the classic playlist, but wouldnt mind if some of the superior reach maps, like countdown, (yes, i just said that) get implemented into it at some point.

Lockout, Believe!

BlueScrote said:
Sounds like I'll need to enlist the help of HaloGAF for that Infected Achievement (to even get that map + gametype)

I'd love for premium battle to explode with population. the Noble+Defiant maps were the cream of the crop (except for breakpoint) of Reach, and it sounds like the Anniversary Maps are good as well.
We should set up a night, grab a group of GAFfers, then go after the achievements.

FyreWulff said:
You're gonna have to do like I did when I started working on my Invasion variant and just make a canvas out of Breakneck. Breakneck uses a crapton of everything, it even uses all 250-something respawn points by default. Any Invasion variant you make is gonna have to be a standalone variant. That way you'll get all 50-100something hill markers back.
I may be doing something wrong but Ridgeline/ Timberland only has 11 hill markers, could you check it later?

I decided to left Brekneck to you and started to play around with an invasion variant for Timberland, the lack of hill markers is making it hard to accomplish.

feel

op_ivy said:
Maps are great but I wouldn't mind Countdown, Reflection and Powerhouse to join the playlist for variety's sake. Anniversary gametype is good but far from perfect (by good halo standards) to the point of the same 4 great maps over and over being able to satisfy.

Crucio

So I've enjoyed the Anniversary Classic games so far. Feels like CE!

I played one match on Installation 04. Theres something strange its so dam beautiful all over but the enemies look different. Its almost as if the lighting is on a whole new level.

squidhands said:
Installation 04 is better than all of Reach's Firefight maps combined, including Unearthed. Two games have already trumped the 1200+ I've played so far in terms of enjoyment (love that chain 'hog). Thank you, 343 and CA. Get that Limited gametype going and I'll be in heaven.
lol. Unfortunately that wasn't a hard task to create a better map than every Reach FF map. But I agree. Installation is just a great map and I would love it if I had ODST Firefight. Btw. I like that little easter egg. :)

daedalius said:
A-Z Halo so good.
I like the Halsey part. I hope Frankie is referring to Dax.

FyreWulff

Gabotron ES said:
I may be doing something wrong but Ridgeline/ Timberland only has 11 hill markers, could you check it later?

I decided to left Brekneck to you and started to play around with an invasion variant for Timberland, the lack of hill markers is making it hard to accomplish.

You're gonna have to go into Basic Editing and Delete All Of These on any Hill Markers you see until they're all gone. You'll have 50 to use then.

I THINK (but am not sure) that you can use normal spawn points (or any other object) for use as respawn zones, just remember to define a size and label them

daedalius

Hypertrooper said:
lol. Unfortunately that wasn't a hard task to create a better map than every Reach FF map. But I agree. Installation is just a great map and I would love it if I had ODST Firefight. Btw. I like that little easter egg. :)

Oh wow, that easter egg is great :) can't wait to play some firefight on that map. Now if they'd just make it available for Firefight limited...

Need to run around all the new maps by myself to look at their amazingness and get familiar with weapon spawns.

kylej

Banned
Letters said:
Maps are great but I wouldn't mind Countdown, Reflection and Powerhouse to join the playlist for variety's sake.

XRUj1.gif

Striker

op_ivy said:
Hang em High has lots of problems with it, and they fixed many of these scenarios in CA's Tombstone. It's very basic in what you need to do. Get the high ground and pin down those on the ground, and take out those on the even ground. It's not one of the upper class based Halo maps in the series, but it's not bad, either.

Prisoner I agree with you. It was never a great CE map, and it needed alterations for it to work well in a future game and on Live. In fact many of the CE maps weren't very well balanced or designed, and that's why in later remakes (Wizard/Warlock, Derelict/Desolation, Hang em High/Tombstone} they're remade in a way to remedy the flow of the gameplay and not make things a nightmare to maneuver around in. Blood Gulch and Coagulation are different - it was redesigned because the changes were heavenly above what BG had brought. BG was fun for LAN and small parties, but it was poor for 8v8 scenarios, which is why forever and always that Coagulation base is one of my favorites for the BTB series.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
LAUGHTREY said:
Source.

So I only get one copy of the maps with my disc? That's pretty fucking lame. I can swap the ODST disc around xbox to xbox but I can't with this.

There's a copy on the disc. And a DLC code. so that's two.

And you can download the DLC to as many boxes as you like, it will just be tied to your gamertag.

Dax01 said:
We should set up a night, grab a group of GAFfers, then go after the achievements.

this, please. i haven't ever really played with halogaf (too much of a bk) but this is a cause i can get behind :p

squidhands said:
Haven't had a chance to touch I04 yet. Glad to hear it's getting some positive feedback. I'm too busy with campaign.
daedalius said:
A-Z Halo so good.
Hypertrooper said:
I like the Halsey part. I hope Frankie is referring to Dax.
Yeah, that was great. And I do think Frankie was talking about me, and he does bring up a good point. Coming from the Nylund novels, I had come to think of Halsey in a certain light. Traviss' novel was a huge slap in the face for me, asking, "What are you thinking?" I think that's why I was so put off with it at first.

op_ivy said:
Drop timers set to these times would fix a lot of the issues you're worried about. With that said, there's definitely a reason the original Prisoner level description was "Get on top."

ElRenoRaven

op_ivy said:
yeah, can we please hear more about skyrim!

HAHAHA. It's funny because it's so true. I'd rather everyone talk about Halo here. I don't care which one either. So them talking about Anniversary is fine by me.

op_ivy said:
yeah, can we please hear more about skyrim!
No, I just think we should discussing Reach in here and CEA in the CEA thread since we have it.

PsychoRaven said:
HAHAHA. It's funny because it's so true. I'd rather everyone talk about Halo here. I don't care which one either. So them talking about Anniversary is fine by me.
:\ so should I even bother posting in the other thread? This confuses me.

Kuroyume

Banned
Letters said:
Maps are great but I wouldn't mind Countdown, Swordbase and Powerhouse to join the playlist for variety's sake. Anniversary gametype is good but far from perfect (by good halo standards) to the point of the same 4 great maps over and over being able to satisfy.

Trasher

Devin Olsen said:
wait, what? Why are we discussing CEA in here when we have a CEA thread?
Because people realize that if they want their posts to be read by people who care the most about Halo, they understand that they should most likely post here?

Sometimes the line sort of blurs when discerning which thread to post in concerning CEA. We all know that this thread has always included everything Halo anyways. Still, the CEA thread is by no means being ignored. And lets face it. It's easier to lump it all into one thread.

ElRenoRaven

Devin Olsen said:
No, I just think we should discussing Reach in here and CEA in the CEA thread since we have it.

No. Plenty of us still do. But it's Halogaf. People are going to talk about the game here too. That's just human nature. Everyone's friends are in this thread. It's the same reason they talk about Skyrim in here instead of the Skyrim thread.

Played around on High Noon/Hang 'Em last night. Been a while since I've played a map with an overshield on it, but how long has the overshield been granting a fire-y trail to wherever you walk? I took a picture but it looks like it didn't upload to b.net.

FyreWulff

It'd make sense to have Reflection and Hemorrhage optional for the CE:A playlists. But then again, I don't know if they have the power to make a disc map optional for a playlist.

Epyon MX said:
Played around on High Noon/Hang 'Em last night. Been a while since I've played a map with an overshield on it, but how long has the overshield been granting a fire-y trail to wherever you walk? I took a picture but it looks like it didn't upload to b.net.
They added that in because there's essentially no other visual indicator (for people who might attack you) that the Overshield is enabled. It's been in for a little while - seems like the lack of a visual cue is a silly oversight in the first place, but the fire is an acceptable solution.

darthbob

OuterWorldVoice said:
There's a copy on the disc. And a DLC code. so that's two.

And you can download the DLC to as many boxes as you like, it will just be tied to your gamertag.

I think what we need is a 'Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack' disc for Reach.

We need Top Men on this.

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:

We need Top Men on this.
I think the ODST-style Mythic collection would be better, but that would have meant a two-disc release for CEA.

wwm0nkey

darthbob said:

We need Top Men on this.
Halo 2 Anniversary for Halo 5, thats probably what is going to happen and should happen.

FyreWulff

Syracuse022 said:
They added that in because there's essentially no other visual indicator (for people who might attack you) that the Overshield is enabled. It's been in for a little while - seems like the lack of a visual cue is a silly oversight in the first place, but the fire is an acceptable solution.

That's because (according to Jeremiah), pickup powerups were not part of the design for Reach multiplayer, so it more than likely wasn't a priority to rig up all the Spartan and Elite models to have an OS effect via Megalo.

Someone did ask if the spawn glow was usable as the OS effect, and it was stated it was not, so it's both something that results in "not planned" and "Megalo can't attach that effect to a biped anyway".

op_ivy

Devin Olsen said:

seemed to me the majority of posts on this page were about the reach MP component of CE Anniversary (or the DLC map pack in some cases).

FyreWulff said:
You're gonna have to go into Basic Editing and Delete All Of These on any Hill Markers you see until they're all gone. You'll have 50 to use then.

I THINK (but am not sure) that you can use normal spawn points (or any other object) for use as respawn zones, just remember to define a size and label them
As helpful as always, thanks again mate ;)

I already tried normal spawn points and it didn't work.

KevinRo

Striker said:
Hang em High has lots of problems with it, and they fixed many of these scenarios in CA's Tombstone. ...

Prisoner I agree with you. It was never a great CE map, and it needed alterations for it to work well in a future game and on Live. In fact many of the CE maps weren't very well balanced or designed, and that's why in later remakes (Wizard/Warlock, Derelict/Desolation, Hang em High/Tombstone} they're remade in a way to remedy the flow of the gameplay and not make things a nightmare to maneuver around in.

The old maps are getting alot of flak for no reason.

Hang 'Em High, Prisoner and Damnation are very competitive maps in the original Halo as was Wizard.

In the original Hang 'Em High, you could grenade bounce any weapon from any part of the map to yourself. If you timed the weapons and powerups correctly(like invis) you could take out any opponents high ground advantage with the pistol/rocket/snipe. It was basically who could macro manage the weapons and powerups better than the other opponent. Great matches playing Hang 'Em High', especially 2v2's.

Prisoner is the same way. Most of the problem with Prisoner in the original Halo were the trap spawns, much like the remake has when everyone spawns at the bottom. The great thing about the original map was that those who were at bottom, if they timed everything right, they could pick up invis and rockets(by grabbing it through the floor) at the same exact time and be stacked. Opponents on the bottom could re-take the high ground easily. Not only that, you could grenade bounce to other levels and take shortcuts, like jumping up to overshield where the doorway was underneath it. Again, taking out grenade bouncing and weapon launching took out alot of the fun, for me that is.

Like I've said before, you're taking Halo:CE maps and trying to appropriate them to Reach style of playing. Knowing that, I still think the new maps are amazing. They recreate that nostagia feel along with great gameflow. I just wished they remade wizard and sanctuary and included it.

Kuroyume said:
Maps are great but I wouldn't mind Countdown, Swordbase and Powerhouse to join the playlist for variety's sake. Anniversary gametype is good but far from perfect (by good halo standards) to the point of the same 4 great maps over and over being able to satisfy.

44.png

op_ivy

KevinRo said:
The old maps are getting alot of flak for no reason.

Hang 'Em High, Prisoner and Damnation are very competitive maps in the original Halo as was Wizard.

In the original Hang 'Em High, you could grenade bounce any weapon from any part of the map to yourself. If you timed the weapons and powerups correctly(like invis) you could take out any opponents high ground advantage with the pistol/rocket/snipe. It was basically who could macro manage the weapons and powerups better than the other opponent. Great matches playing Hang 'Em High', especially 2v2's.

Prisoner is the same way. Most of the problem with Prisoner in the original Halo were the trap spawns, much like the remake has when everyone spawns at the bottom. The great thing about the original map was that those who were at bottom, if they timed everything right, they could pick up invis and rockets(by grabbing it through the floor) at the same exact time and be stacked. Opponents on the bottom could re-take the high ground easily. Not only that, you could grenade bounce to other levels and take shortcuts, like jumping up to overshield where the doorway was underneath it. Again, taking out grenade bouncing and weapon launching took out alot of the fun, for me that is.

Like I've said before, you're taking Halo:CE maps and trying to appropriate them to Reach style of playing. Knowing that, I still think the new maps are amazing. They recreate that nostagia feel along with great gameflow. I just wished they remade wizard and sanctuary and included it.

i disagree but you remind me, can you still pick up rockets from the ground floor on prisoner in reach?

Top Bottom