• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

If Halo 4 has armor ability loadout playlists I will get a ticket to where ever 343 is and...fuck I don't know but damnit just don't do it.

I doubt AA's will carry over. i hope they dont. AA's slow down halo too much and provide too many ways for the less skilled to avoid getting killed,

Id be happy with a heavy retune of the equipment from halo 3 add things like jetpack into it and return camo and overs to pick ups.

daedalius

Does a AR headshot do more damage than a body shot?

Halo 4 needs a Stanchion Rifle. Believe

3sk rifle confirmed.

Different strokes.

As somebody that has played the hell out of every Halo since CE, Reach is far and away my favorite (save map quality, which has improved with DLC and Anniversary).

I don't have any problem with longer, back-and-forth, dramatic fire-fights. If I want 'blink-and-you're-dead' stuff, I can play CoD, which does that kind of thing much better.

I have to say, even with the 3sk pistol, kill times aren't nearly as fast or annoying as they have been for me on BF3pc. The difference between having to land 3 shots in a row (well 2 shots and then a headshot) for a kill and a single full-auto burst seems pretty striking to me. If you have cover close-by, you can usually avoid a pistol death; even if you have cover close by in BF3 sometimes, it doesn't matter, you're just dead the second you realize you're getting hit.

Reach is old news, go play games that are actually good.

I have played a ton of Reach, but I think ill end up being way way short of how much I played in 2 and 3. Bring on Halo 4.

Different strokes.

As somebody that has played the hell out of every Halo since CE, Reach is far and away my favorite (save map quality, which has improved with DLC and Anniversary).

I don't have any problem with longer, back-and-forth, dramatic fire-fights. If I want 'blink-and-you're-dead' stuff, I can play CoD, which does that kind of thing much better.

I doubt AA's will carry over. i hope they dont. AA's slow down halo too much and provide too many ways for the less skilled to avoid getting killed,

Id be happy with a heavy retune of the equipment from halo 3 add things like jetpack into it and return camo and overs to pick ups.

Or they provide clever players the chance to avoid being killed by being smart enough to know where and when to use them to maximize their advantages and minimize the opportunity cost of not choosing one of the others.

Depends on how you look at it.

But as a fan of AAs, I doubt they'll carry over. I would be fine with Halo 3 equipment getting tweaked though. Maybe once you pick one up, they work like Armor Abilities, infinitely reusable with a charge meter.

But as a fan of AAs, I doubt they'll carry over. I would be fine with Halo 3 equipment getting tweaked though. Maybe once you pick one up, they work like Armor Abilities, infinitely reusable with a charge meter.

I see it as some are reusabel like jetpack but others like bubble shield arnt.

I see it as some are reusabel like jetpack but others like bubble shield arnt.

Yeah, or just an insanely slow charge meter. If you stay alive for like 5 minutes, I'd say you've earned the right to use one again. :p

I wouldn't mind the DMR as a starting weapon, and a 2x-scope BR as a pick-up weapon on maps though. Sacrifice range and accuracy for rate-of-fire and power.

If Halo 4 has armor ability loadout playlists I will get a ticket to where ever 343 is and...fuck I don't know but damnit just don't do it.

Can I come?

Seriously AA's are one of the worst things to happen to Halo. Everyone should be on a equal playing field. Not be able to pull a totally random unexpected ability out of there ass every 30 seconds.

I didnt even mind Halo 3 style equipment as much. I quite enjoyed them. It was random, but there where few of them on the map, so if it wasnt on the floor and your team didnt have it you could anticipate it, it was single use so couldn't be spammed AND best of all it was pretty neutral. A bubble shield could still be useful to me even if the enemy used it.

I wouldnt mind equipment coming back, but I really hope AA's dont.

Yeah, or just an insanely slow charge meter. If you stay alive for like 5 minutes, I'd say you've earned the right to use one again. :p

I wouldn't mind the DMR as a starting weapon, and a 2x-scope BR as a pick-up weapon on maps though. Sacrifice range and accuracy for rate-of-fire and power.

Ok I must admit that works for me, but I would still hope that its a pick up and it must be pretty clear what each player is carrying if they are carrying anything at all. I mean a timer of 5 minutes works because you would only encounter the AA twice a match.

I think the reason I liked Halo 3 equipment was because you saw them used maybe twice a game and that was it. The spawn timer and the fact that only like 2 was on the map at a time (on most maps) really helped. With Reach all 8 players are holding a super power and can literally spam that power all game long.

I like that idea but it needs a large cool down. Jetpack can have a bigger boost than reach but with a 3 min cool down something like the bubble shield could be halo 3 life span but with a 5 min cooldown cause of its life saving properties.

Also

This

Is much better than

352px-Bubble_Shield_in_Action.jpg

feel

Despite some of its flaw in implementation, I really liked Equipment, I hope an improved/fixed take on it it's what's back in 4 and not the fucking stupid abilities that recharge quickly and give everyone different capabilities. Halo is about starting at equal footing and having to earn better stuff than your opponents.

Also zero bloom, Halo 2/3 kill time, no spread, burst rifle. And I wanna jump float, and I wanna move fast by default without the stupid sprint animation that doesn't let me shoot or look to the sides. Then add a bunch of other cool new shit that doesn't disrupt the core gameplay. Oh, and gimme color and clean/not-blurry IQ. Forgot to mention, fast acceleration.

Honestly, my only problem with AAs is that Bungie did a terrible job making it clear which AA each player was using at any given time.

If I KNEW going into an encounter that the guy had armor shield, then my tactics would change accordingly. Same for cloak, jetpack (which is pretty evident), evade, what have you.

A colored light on the back isn't close to enough.

Learn from Valve and Team Fortress. Make the silhouette clear, even at a glance across the map.

I would have LOVED if each AA was teamed with a specific 'class' of armor, and as you leveled up, you could spend money to customize armor within that 'class'.

So take the 'sniper' armor - you would only see armor (and variants of it) on players using cloak. Commander armor for evade. Mach V armor for sprint, etc.

Striker

I like that idea but it needs a large cool down. Jetpack can have a bigger boost than reach but with a 3 min cool down something like the bubble shield could be halo 3 life span but with a 5 min cooldown cause of its life saving properties.

Also
Is much better than
[/img]

They both suck. Stop slowing down the games.

So

Halo 4

Equipment with visual identification and large cool downs.
Battle Rifle
Zero Bloom
Return to larger jump with "float"
Faster movement
Quicker kill times
No AA's

Kotaku Headline of the future
GAF makes Halo 4, 343i listen.

They both sucks. Stop slowing down the games.

The speed of a shooter is determined by movement speed and map flow, not the during of fire-fights.

Longer fire-fights are more dramatic and interesting than quick exchanges.

So

Halo 4

Battle Rifle
Zero Bloom
Faster movement
Quicker kill times
No AA's

I honestly think bloom is necessary for weapon balance. But 85% bloom compared to Reach feels good to me.

Striker

The speed of a shooter is determined by movement speed and map flow, not the during of fire-fights.

I'm talking directly about things like regen, bubble, armor lock, evade, etc. Makes things cheap and more about luck than actual ability.

The game quality has gone down dramatically with those pieces in the battlefield.

daedalius

So, was thinking about getting that Razer controller, since I love my Razer mouse (and have been using them since they first started making mice)... anyone had any experience with them? Kinda would prefer a wireless one though.

So

Halo 4

Battle Rifle
Zero Bloom
Faster movement
Quicker kill times
No AA's

You know what, screw the middle man. We should just make Halo 4 ourselves. I know some people on here are good at coding.

Halo 4: Believe. Coming November 25th

All joking aside, I wish the 343 multiplayer design team was just made up of the various sections of HaloGaf

The Antitype said:

Agreed

I honestly think bloom is necessary for weapon balance. But 85% bloom compared to Reach feels good to me

Disagree, Halo 2 and 3 Played alot better than reach and neither had bloom. Weapon balance is only relevant with pick up weapons really if a BR is a starting weapon every thing from that point is based on skill.

I'm talking directly about things like regen, bubble, armor lock, evade, etc. Makes things cheap and more about luck than actual ability.

The game quality has gone down dramatically with those pieces in the battlefield.

There was no more luck involved with equipment than there was with power weapons or overshield/cloak.

In all cases, you or your team had to fight their way to the spawn of those weapons to use them.

So should Halo 4 remove the Rocket Launcher and Sniper too, because players are 'lucky' to have them?

As for AAs, each one has its strengths and weaknesses, and each one is easy to counter. The only element of luck is that there's no clear visual indication of which AA each player is using at any given time. Bungie should definitely address that.

Agreed

Disagree, Halo 2 and 3 Played alot better than reach and neither had bloom. Weapon balance is only relevant with pick up weapons really if a BR is a starting weapon every thing from that point is based on skill.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 played fine, but were dominated in most cases by the utility weapon... once a utility weapon becomes more valuable than any weapon on the map, it can be deemed overpowered.

Reach, in my experience, is the first Halo where every weapon is used a great deal. Obviously the pistol, AR and DMR are the most used, but I've been in great fire-fights that involved everything from the Needler and NR, to the PP and PR, to the GL, Plasma Sniper thing, etc. Every weapon on the map feels like a valuable too, versus Halo 2 and 3, where everybody just stuck with the BR, and only swapped out to use the RL, Shotty or Sniper.

So, was thinking about getting that Razer controller, since I love my Razer mouse (and have been using them since they first started making mice)... anyone had any experience with them? Kinda would prefer a wireless one though.

Avoid like the black death, i got one and its horrible. Build quality is rubbish the triggers are awful and the mappable buttons might aswell of not been on the thing.

Wait for the MLG controller it looks like an improved onza. Seriously DO NOT BUY AN ONZA.

FyreWulff

So

Halo 4

Battle Rifle
Zero Bloom
Faster movement
Quicker kill times
No AA's

Sounds like Halo 2 Anniversary. And given 343's direction with the Reach TU.. this is why I'm just assuming Halo 4 is going to be a new version of Halo 2's multiplayer as designed through rose tinted glasses.

feel

You know what, screw the middle man. We should just make Halo 4 ourselves. I know some people on here are good at coding.

Halo 4: Believe. Coming November 25th

All joking aside, I wish the 343 multiplayer design team was just made up of the various sections of HaloGaf
Typical meeting to discuss gameplay:
brawling-liamlgfu4.jpg

daedalius

Avoid like the black death, i got one and its horrible. Build quality is rubbish the triggers are awful and the mappable buttons might aswell of not been on the thing.

Wait for the MLG controller it looks like an improved onza. Seriously DO NOT BUY AN ONZA.

Wow that makes me sad, oh well. Will continue to use my red controller that is worn in like an old baseball glove.

So

Halo 4

Battle Rifle
Zero Bloom
Faster movement
Quicker kill times
No AA's

I'm sure AA's will carry over in some way or another, as I said they should make them Invasion/BTB only.

This way the Invasion playlist would have that unique feeling to it while others can enjoy good ol' Halo. Everybody is happy!

343 Industries multiplayer guys and gals are prolly looking at this thread and having a good laugh.

Cause they are megatrolls and its going to be halo reach copypasted with worse netcode 200% bloom reduced jump hight and speed one shot kill spawn weapons and melee bullet block added only banshees and elephants and every spartan is on fire.

Pimp dat spartan 10K gold visor with every preorder. Finish the fight with style.

TheOddOne

Cause they are megatrolls and its going to be halo reach copypasted with worse netcode 200% bloom reduced jump hight and speed one shot kill spawn weapons and melee bullet block added only banshees and elephants and every spartan is on fire.

Pimp dat spartan 10K gold visor with every preorder. Finish the fight with style.
Elephants *and* Spartans on fire? takemymoney.gif

:lol, Stalker you forgot to add Halo 4's super awesome forge mode, now with 36% less grey!

Why do some prefer the floaty jump?

Jumping then Sniping someone in the head whilst gently falling to the ground
Jumping over someone and backsmacking them
Jumping around the map to flank someone
Strafing then jumping on the last shot and out br'ing the person you where battling with is all amazing. I can probably think of enough to write a full love letter to the insane Halo jump but I will stop there.

None of that is really possible with Reach.

Reach, in my experience, is the first Halo where every weapon is used a great deal. Obviously the pistol, AR and DMR are the most used, but I've been in great fire-fights that involved everything from the Needler and NR, to the PP and PR, to the GL, Plasma Sniper thing, etc. Every weapon on the map feels like a valuable too, versus Halo 2 and 3, where everybody just stuck with the BR, and only swapped out to use the RL, Shotty or Sniper.

I think it all depends on what you want out of Halo games. Personally a fun starting weapon which I can keep by my side for most situations is my idea of fun. I can see why people want more variety in the weapon choice, but a good starting weapon should allow for the variety in combat situations.

Kuroyume

Banned

I honestly think bloom is necessary for weapon balance. But 85% bloom compared to Reach feels good to me.

The speed is determined by everthing. Anyway, Halo's "fire-fights" were as dramatic and interesting as you can get in a shooter before the bubble shield, regen, armor lock, evade, etc. came along. I don't feel the bubble shield makes gameplay interesting at all by bringing the combat to a complete stop and then forcing a game of cat and mouse.

I am done with bloom. I prefer zero bloom. It's just a handicap for people who can aim, pull a trigger quickly. and prefer precision weapons. I don't believe its fair at all. If Halo 4 has anything like that then I can say that I'm done playing Halo games.

A higher jump would be nice, but I always hated the floaty jump, and hated how it continued to become more floaty as the series went on. By H3, I absolutely hated the jump.

The speed is determined by everthing. Anyway, Halo's "fire-fights" were as dramatic and interesting as you can get in a shooter before the bubble shield, regen, armor lock, evade, etc. came along. I don't feel the bubble shield makes gameplay interesting at all by bringing the combat to a complete stop and then forcing a game of cat and mouse.

Different tastes I guess. I found the fire-fights in Halo 3 and Halo: Reach much more exciting and dramatic than the fire-fights in Halo or Halo 2, where a single weapon usually dominated and the same tactics and map control strategies played out the same way match after match after match. And battling around or through a bubble shield is no different than battling around a piece of cover in Halo: CE or Halo 2 to me.

I am done with bloom. I prefer zero bloom. It's just a handicap for people who can aim, pull a trigger quickly. and prefer precision weapons. I don't believe its fair at all. If Halo 4 has anything like that then I can say that I'm done playing Halo games.

Precision weapons are still heads-and-tails better than automatic and explosive weapons in Halo: Reach. The only difference is that precision weapons now have an ideal range that they perform best at, and fringe ranges where they are still useable but not as effective. Take away bloom and you have the Pistol issue from Halo: CE all over again.

Take away bloom, and the DMR becomes the best short, long and mid-range weapon in the game. Which is probably why there's no zero-bloom playlist that includes it.

Shorter kill times and better player mobility please. Oh and don't gimp weapons scoped out, thanks.

Going back to playing the CE campaign has been a revelation in terms of the strafing agility. So smooth and functional.

Hrmph.

Premium Battle! Yeah!
Noble & Defiant DLC Req. No problem!
One or more players do not have the maps required to play in this playlist.

Okay...

Fucking shocking decision to lock out previous dlc owners from their only dedicated playlist. The Anniversary maps have four playlists dedicated solely to them - they don't need another.

Just keep them to where they belong and make sense, invasion.

But I thought we all decided that Invasion was a drain on precious map resources and should be banished to the shitter and never spoken of again, so...

Going back to playing the CE campaign has been a revelation in terms of the strafing agility. So smooth and functional.

Fucking shocking decision to lock out previous dlc owners from their only dedicated playlist. The Anniversary maps have four playlists dedicated solely to them - they don't need another.

But I thought we all decided that Invasion was a drain on precious map resources and should be banished to the shitter and never spoken of again, so...

Id like invasion to return, it has to have better maps that can be played both as invasion maps and BTB maps however. Spire is one of the worst halo maps made because it sucks for invasion and BTB. Retro fit maps like sidewinder for it. capture center point then capture teleporters (optional) and then capture base

There was no more luck involved with equipment than there was with power weapons or overshield/cloak.

In all cases, you or your team had to fight their way to the spawn of those weapons to use them.

So should Halo 4 remove the Rocket Launcher and Sniper too, because players are 'lucky' to have them?

As for AAs, each one has its strengths and weaknesses, and each one is easy to counter. The only element of luck is that there's no clear visual indication of which AA each player is using at any given time. Bungie should definitely address that.

You actually have to fight for the power weapons and power ups by timing them. There is no such thing for the equipment. They are actually worth fighting over as well and promote map movement, and once attained, promote offense. Because attaining and using it promotes map movement, the game is sped up, especially if there is a standoff. Equipment slowed the game down and the only one that promoted movement was the power drainer. The power drainer itself was overpowered and required no aiming.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 played fine, but were dominated in most cases by the utility weapon... once a utility weapon becomes more valuable than any weapon on the map, it can be deemed overpowered.

Using the utility weapon a lot isn't boring to me at all. The fun for me comes from the maps, gametypes, and teamwork. Using 2 or 3 more weapons isn't that big of a difference when 5 weapons are already regularly used.

Wow that makes me sad, oh well. Will continue to use my red controller that is worn in like an old baseball glove.
If I may chime in, I think it's a pretty decent controller but not without it's flaws.

The triggers are longer and I do prefer the ones on the default controller but you don't have to squeeze them any farther for the controller to register it. Once you adapt to them it becomes a non-issue.

The ABXY buttons are amazing. I love how quick and responsive they are, much better than the mushy default buttons. Having them backlit looks nice but unnecessary. The separated D-pad is a bit stiffer but it works well. It's clearly designed for shooters where the D-pad isn't used for movement, like weapon selection in Gears of War. The bumpers are also a bit stiffer and take a little getting used to but I love love love the remappable buttons. I'm a bumper jumper user and I hate how AAs are on X in Reach so now I don't have to choose between AAs or Jump on the left bumper, I just have one right above the other. This also lets me use bumper jumper in other games since most shooters have B-Melee and A-Jump.

The sticks are raised a bit, which I like, to accommodate the adjustable tension knobs which I think is a neat feature but I opt not to use because I imagine constantly changing that around can wear down the sticks. The rubberized finished is pretty cool too if your hands get sweaty but also unnecessary.

However, mine developed a problem with the left analog stick after like 3 months where it would just randomly register a down input and random slow turn when looking left on the right stick. I bought mine from the Razerstore so I had it exchanged hassle free. Second one developed the same down input problem after 2 months but didn't have the slow turn problem. So I had it exchanged again and I just received my third on on Monday. We'll see how it goes. Your mileage may vary, I've heard people that have no problems with theirs, personally I like the extra mappable buttons and the hyper-response ABXY buttons enough to stick with it. The braided cable is also super long so distance will never be an issue and it's nice to have to option to use it with a PC.

MLG controller looks pretty sweet but the $100 price tag is iffy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

What if you had two arms that ended in Assault Rifles, but you couldn't pick anything up, because your thumbs are gun barrels?

Top Bottom