• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

According to an interview a while back with Bungie, Invasion had a whole economy system and a purchase menu for your team to buy stuff that was cut. We were this close to getting a modern version of C&C Renegade (you even had to walk up to purchase kiosks like you do in Renegade)

Omg do want, this needs to be in Halo 4.

That and a map editor, just like Far Cry 2 (3 years old Xbox 360 game :/).

No, it’s this way of thinking that has destroyed gun-play and the skill gap since CE; you balance these weapons by making them harder to use. Reducing precision weapons aim assist and bullet magnetism along with giving the player a Spartan that is actually fast, agile and responsive is the way forward. And while you’re at it reducing the player models (hit-boxes) and giving bonus damage for headshots would be a nice.

Meh.

Different tastes.

For me, Halo: Reach > Halo 3 > Halo 2 = Halo: CE.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
343 dudes, can you nuke accounts based on service tags? Because I met this IRISHPR3D4TORZZ kid running around with 'IRA'.

I've seen a few of these before and others like UVF and such. I had to explain to the American folks in my party why exactly such things are inappropriate.

Such tags should be restricted. They've banned "Dani" but IRA is just fine apparently.

It's clearly not a clan tag when he has an Irish flag as his emblem, he comes from Ireland, and his username is IRISHPR3D4TORZZ. While I wouldn't say it 'offended' me, it irritated me enough to send a message to him after the game. And there are plenty of people who would be more offended.

It's clearly not a clan tag when he has an Irish flag as his emblem, he comes from Ireland, and his username is IRISHPR3D4TORZZ. While I wouldn't say it 'offended' me, it irritated me enough to send a message to him after the game. And there are plenty of people who would be more offended.

IRA isnt just the terrorist IRA it could be any of the multiple IRA's and even still if it was i dont see it as a bannable offence, iv seen much worse things on XBL.

How far do you expect these things to go, BNP obviously carries pretty negative connotations but at the same time its also a political view which every person has the right to express regardless of how "wrong" that view is to others. IRA is much the same what if this person believes in a united ireland free of the UK rule? should we oppose his view cause it makes us sad?

People are offended over anything and everything, we cant censor the world as much as some people would like to sorry thats just the way it is.

At this point, IRA isn't really any worse than Che in terms of pop-culture and counter-culture references. Half the people bringing them up only do it cause they think its rebellious, not because they have any understanding the subject or any belief in the cause.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
IRA isnt just the terrorist IRA it could be any of the multiple IRA's and even still if it was i dont see it as a bannable offence, iv seen much worse things on XBL.

How about having KKK as a tag? Or Taliban? Those are cool tags too.

If it's policy to stop potentially offensive terms being used, and something like my name can get swept up in the net, along with potty level terms like "tits" and "ass", surely they can stretch the net to include illegal paramilitary terrorist organisations?

The whole "it's not offensive to me" is just silly. You might not have been affected by Irish paramilitarism, but there's two entire countries affected with a recent history of violence, murder and other illegal activities that just might not want to see it.

How far do you expect these things to go, BNP obviously carries pretty negative connotations but at the same time its also a political view which every person has the right to express regardless of how "wrong" that view is to others. IRA is much the same what if this person believes in a united ireland free of the UK rule? should we oppose his view cause it makes us sad?

I support a united Ireland in due time but the IRA, UVF and other paramilitary organisations are abhorrent and fucking vile.

The BNP didn't fucking murder innocent women and children in cold blood. There's a slight difference.

How about having KKK as a tag? Or Taliban? Those are cool tags too.

If it's policy to stop potentially offensive terms being used, and something like my name can get swept up in the net, along with potty level terms like "tits" and "ass", surely they can stretch the net to include illegal paramilitary terrorist organisations?

The whole "it's not offensive to me" is just silly. You might not have been affected by Irish paramilitarism, but there's two entire countries affected with a recent history of violence, murder and other illegal activities that just might not want to see it.

So we should just ban everything? as i said above the BNP has a large following but also carries racism with it, should we ban the letters BNP if we do then what about other political acronyms? should they all go? what right does TUV have over BNP?

Dont get me wrong, im not backing the IRA one bit but if one person is allowed to express his views then everyone should be. With a system like the tags its obviously going to be abused, block IRA and you get lRA or 1RA ect you can only sensor so much.

People are offended over anything and everything, we cant censor the world as much as some people would like to sorry thats just the way it is.
There hasn't be a "non-terrorist" IRA in the bones of a century, and you can be Republican (in the Irish sense) or believe in a united Ireland free of UK rule without sympathizing with the IRA. And no, I wouldn't ban BNP, because as much as I disagree with their politics, they are not a paramilitary organization who have caused death and suffering to thousands of people on either side of a bitter conflict that is still very much a live and sensitive issue in the country in which I grew up. It is not "much the same".

I wouldn't allow 'ETA' either, for instance, even though I'm reasonably endeared to the idea of Basque independence.

There hasn't be a "non-terrorist" IRA in the bones of a century, and you can be Republican (in the Irish sense) or believe in a united Ireland free of UK rule without sympathizing with the IRA. And no, I wouldn't ban BNP, because as much as I disagree with their politics, they are not a paramilitary organization who have caused death and suffering to thousands of people on either side of a bitter conflict that is still very much a live and sensitive issue in the country in which I grew up. It is not "much the same".

I wouldn't allow 'ETA' either, for instance, even though I'm reasonably endeared to the idea of Basque independence.

But thats the point ETA has a million uses, ban it for one reason and your harming the greater user base, it gets to a point where everything is offensive to everyone.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
But thats the point ETA has a million uses, ban it for one reason and your harming the greater user base, it gets to a point where everything is offensive to everyone.

ETA is a popular acronym widely used in the English language today. IRA is not.

You still haven't explained why you think the IRA should be treated as equally as a British political party.

All I'm seeing here is typical ignorance about recent Irish/UK history and current affairs. Would pro-Taliban/Osama or KKK tags be acceptable?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo tag policy/Live policy is regionally moderated. My name is banned because in some parts of the world in a non-English language, part of my name means something offensive.

Why can't these policies just include popular and clear cases such as IRA, UVF etc? If they can ban "ass" or "KKK" then they can them too. There's no excuse.

ETA is a popular acronym widely used in the English language today. IRA is not.

You still haven't explained why you think the IRA should be treated as equally as British political party.

I dont think they should be treated as equally i think that people take offence to the BNP and their views and if everything that was negative got banned service tags wouldnt exist because you would be limited to a single letter. I used BNP as nothing more than another example.

Yeah, your guys are offened by IRA lets ban it, what happens if a week from now we see a surge of people complaing about another acronym? do we ban that and the person using it aswell how far does this go?

In an ideal world yes we could ban everything negative and only stuff that isnt negative would be left but its impossible to do that because of the restrains, I agree IRA pretty much means only one thing and its a word id strike from the list but this can only go so far.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I dont think they should be treated as equally i think that people take offence to the BNP and their views and if everything that was negative got banned service tags wouldnt exist because you would be limited to a single letter. I used BNP as nothing more than another example.

Yeah, your guys are offened by IRA lets ban it, what happens if a week from now we see a surge of people complaing about another acronym? do we ban that and the person using it aswell how far does this go?

In an ideal world yes we could ban everything negative and only stuff that isnt negative would be left but its impossible to do that because of the restrains, I agree IRA pretty much means only one thing and its a word id strike from the list but this can only go so far.

Dude, something like the IRA doesn't spring up overnight. I'd have thought that those kind of terms would have been already flagged so it's surprising they've lasted this long. I'm not suggesting that new words to be banned should be considered every week or anything, just some common sense. Remember how the homosexual issue was dealt with on Live?

I'm not a particular fan of heaving moderation either. I just want to see some regionally equality applied. Things like IRA and KKK have no place in any online environment and ignorance of such things isn't an acceptable excuse.

I still think it's absolutely stupid that a mature rated game like Halo bans "ass" for example.

Dude, something like the IRA doesn't spring up overnight. I'd have thought that those kind of terms would have been already flagged so it's surprising they've lasted this long. I'm not suggesting that new words to be banned should be considered every week or anything, just some common sense. Remember how the homosexual issue was dealt with on Live?

I'm not a particular fan of heaving moderation either. I just want to see some regionally equality applied. Things like IRA and KKK have no place in any online environment and ignorance of such things isn't an acceptable excuse.

I still think it's absolutely stupid that a mature rated game like Halo bans "ass" for example.

Oh i agree, but an account nuke cause of a tag is a bit heavy i mean the guy most likely dosnt have a clue some irish teenage who wants to be a rebel

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oh i agree, but an account nuke cause of a tag is a bit heavy i mean the guy most likely dosnt have a clue some irish teenage who wants to be a rebel

Account nuke? Heck no, just force a change by banning it the way they ban other words. There's got to be a dude sitting on his ass all day eating pizza instead of increasing the ban word filter.
3AQmK.gif

Rtas

As an Irish person myself I agree they should block that sort of tag, no one wants reminders of the Northern Ireland Troubles online. I for one don't anyway.

Rockets on Prisoner with jetpacks is the most professional of gametypes. Just putting that out there.

Really great LAN though. Much thanks to Elzar for supplying the majority of the maps. I was lucky I still had some Anniversary settings on my box for the later games we played.

TheOddOne

I'm boarding the Geoff hyper train, last years crashed and burned but I'm optimistic!

Getting burned again, I just know it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ready to dong. Whos getting on today?

I might take my daughter down to the basement, plop her in front of two episodes of Dora the Rxplorer, ride my recumbent bike while I curse and get hammered in Anniversary, and then just wait for the Father of the Year awards to roll in.

Ken

I might take my daughter down to the basement, plop her in front of two episodes of Dora the Rxplorer, ride my recumbent bike while I curse and get hammered in Anniversary, and then just wait for the Father of the Year awards to roll in.
Dora the Prescription Explorer sounds like an amazing show.

Hey You

Nothing annouced so far has got me excited. Probably won't even tune in unless we get something from 343,Bungie or Rockstar.

Top Bottom