• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

MrBig

Any of you scrubs still not playing Skyrim need to get your act together

DXX7ol.jpg

feel

Any of you scrubs still not playing Skyrim need to get your act together

DXX7ol.jpg

I'm doing my massive haul of great games one at the time. Skyrim is last on the queue because I don't wanna have the games that follow it wait forever for their turn. But damn, one Ghaleon post I read yesterday in the OT almost made jump right into it. Looking forward to that adventure.

Ramirez

I'm doing my massive haul of great games one at the time. Skyrim is last on the queue because I don't wanna have the games that follow it wait forever for their turn. But damn, one Ghaleon post I read yesterday in the OT almost made jump right into it. Looking forward to that adventure.

I've hated every past ES title, but this one has me totally hooked, I don't even look at my other pile of games at the moment, I just dig straight into Skyrim every night.

Marco1

Just finished the cryptum book and started glasslands.
It's amazing the stories that people have pulled out of that first halo game.

You don't have to invite yourself for a custom challenge.

I see, so you just click "create challenge".

I'm still pretty confused about all this new stuff, do you receive the cR payout right after completing your challenge? Do you also have to be signed on Waypoint to receive the payout?

It sucks that there's almost no ingame feedback about your custom challenges, I can't even create one from my iphone browser :(

Kujo

Why don't they fix the Banshee already. Really, how long would it take to make a quick TU. MW3 has already had like 4-5 within a few weeks. Or just remove it. Air evade + any lag means half my shots don't even register on it

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why don't they fix the Banshee already. Really, how long would it take to make a quick TU. MW3 has already had like 4-5 within a few weeks. Or just remove it. Air evade + any lag means half my shots don't even register on it

I was pretty bummed a Banshee nerf wasn't included in the TU. Bungie started to scale it's inclusion back a bit and I hope 343 continue to do so. Best hope now is that it's disruptive mechanics get enough recognition to be scaled back in coming playlist updates.

And wait for Halo 4.

Falagard

I was pretty bummed a Banshee nerf wasn't included in the TU. Bungie started to scale it's inclusion back a bit and I hope 343 continue to do so. Best hope now is that it's disruptive mechanics get enough recognition to be scaled back in coming playlist updates.

And wait for Halo 4.

Halo 4 needs to be developed to be flexible like Gears of War 2 & 3 so almost everything can be tweaked without a Title Update.

Why are you guys still hoping to get a "fixed Reach" in the future? I mean, seriously, I moved on at least 6 months ago. The game is broken in so many ways that they just can't fix it for it would mean basically wasting a lot of resources and most of all alienating a lot of players that actually like the game as it is now. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate the effort they put into the title update, I know they really care about us, it's just that they have their hands tied both because of Halo4 being in development and because Reach's not their game and they have to respect that. Move on to something else (skyrim, gears, mw3) and just wait for the Halo4 beta :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo 4 needs to be developed to be flexible like Gears of War 2 & 3 so almost everything can be tweaked without a Title Update.

That would be sweet. I have no idea about the technical side of allowing that to happen but if could be done, I think it should. The more things that can be tweeked without the need for a TU, the better.

Hey You

I see, so you just click "create challenge".

I'm still pretty confused about all this new stuff, do you receive the cR payout right after completing your challenge? Do you also have to be signed on Waypoint to receive the payout?

It sucks that there's almost no ingame feedback about your custom challenges, I can't even create one from my iphone browser :(

You have to wait till the challenge expires to get your credits.

Random question: do Anniversary maps usually show up as a voting option on playlist which are not Anniversary required, like say... Team Slayer, Squad Battle or Rumble Pit?

GhaleonEB

I wish everyone would stop buying and supporting Bethesda games.

The bugs in Bethesda games are analogous to playlist management in Halo games. :p

Skyrim is Bethesda's most solid game on that front at any rate. And I've never see a game so bursting with content - compelling content - and flexibility, ever.

Random question: do Anniversary maps usually show up as a voting option on playlist which are not Anniversary required, like say... Team Slayer, Squad Battle or Rumble Pit?
Don't know if anyone here as played a default reach playlist since anniversary came out. I would assume that they do not come up often based on the previous dlc's not coming up. There is also 5 anniversay playlists, which probably increases the chance that people that have the maps are not in default reach playlists very much.

I kinda agree Bethesda has killed innovation there strategy has been the same since Arena or Daggerfall. Make some big world. Hope people get lost in them collecting higher items and shit that they don't even really need to complete a mediocre short, pretty easy, campaign.

RPG's need more I havent really been into any since FF7 and I did like Fallout 3 even if it was more of the same, I think I just like Fallouts.

I kinda agree Bethesda has killed innovation there strategy has been the same since Arena or Daggerfall. Make some big world. Hope people get lost in them collecting higher items and shit that they don't even really need to complete a mediocre short, pretty easy, campaign.

RPG's need more I havent really been into any since FF7 and I did like Fallout 3 even if it was more of the same, I think I just like Fallouts.

I happen to like more open world shit like that. I like cave diving and guild stuff in the games more than the main campaign, and I don't consider that necessarily a bad thing. Linear shit can kiss my ass.

kylej

Banned
Skyrim is amazing. Wish I could say the same about the current state of Halo right now.

Reach is the greatest game Bungie has ever made - far superior to Halo 2 - and without a doubt One of The Greatest FPS Games of All Time. Might I recommend watching the final video documentary supplied by Bungie? Might change your mind.

GhaleonEB

There are a handful of gaming moments that have stayed with me, burned into my memory. Mostly things that were unexpected, or where I see the bar being raised for the medium., or where things come together in a way that is particularly surprising or beautiful. Stepping out of the drop pod in the second mission of Halo was one such moment. I've never forgotten that feeling. I've had it a few times this generation.

Skyrim has had three such moments so far, including one today. And they're all different: one was an incredible dungeon with an unexpectedly awesome payoff. One took place when I got my horse early in the game, and rode from Solitude to Riften (diagonally across the map). That ride is burned in my brain and I think it will be there forever. One took place just now. I'm a pretty jaded, cynical gamer and I'm just gobsmacked by what Skyrim is pulling off. It's definitely a Bethesda game, and the sequel to Oblivion, but the iteration they've done across the board is remarkable.

In some ways the evolution from Oblivion to Skyrim reminds me of the kind of evolutions Halo went through. I remember in an interview or podcast somewhere some Bungie folks observing how they tend to get things right the second time around, with the Scarab in Halo 2 vs. Halo 3 being an example. Skyrim does that kind of evolution across the entire game.

Playing Reach feels a bit like going from Skyrim back to Oblivion. Systems devolved. Things that worked perfectly were broken. Design principles were altered for no perceivable reason and even less benefit. Yet, it was still a hugely enjoyable game. But lately I've been sitting down with the intent to go play it, but I can't get myself to. I think a big part of me is holding out for Halo 4, hoping that the series will return to form. When you see one of your favorite developers make this kind of leap forward, its exhilarating and it's so great to be along for the ride. When another takes such a steep step backward, it's a little heartbreaking.

This is a longwinded way of saying, I haven't played much Halo lately because I'm sucked into a game that is much more successful at realizing its potential than Reach does. I love games that fill me with a sense of possibilities; Reach didn't do that, and Skyrim does.

You will. You will. Just a year and we will be happy again! Believe!

I wan to believe. I'm ready to believe.

Tawpgun

So I found out Keyes is the only mission without a skull.

You know what that means. Conspiracy time.

There is a secret skull on Keyes that unlocked the GRD armor and the 12th terminal.

Bugs are a very small part of my issues with Bethesda titles.

Although to be fair, Elder Scrolls is a fairly dull license, so they can't do too much damage. It's only when they try to do Fallout that things go horribly wrong.

P.S. There are only 200 people playing Premium Battle?!

Top Bottom