• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think one thing about me is that I'm actually nicer in real life. When it's Halo time, I'm calling out, wanting to win and if you're not helping me do that, damn I get fucking mad. Even here, I'll make fun of how bad Dax is every chance I get but in real life I'd probably do it just a few times :p

That was nice of him indeed. I don't hate the guy so much. It's that I just hate his attitude. You put it best when you said he comes off like an arrogant son of a bitch. He comes off like he's the god of Halo and the authority on what is canon and isn't. Then he just harps on it over and over and over till you want to strangle him.

That's sad too because as you said and I've heard from others he comes off as a very likeable and reasonable guy in person.

This is pretty much the attitude that pervades a lot of online communities that makes me not want to be involved whatsoever.

Kujo

Just entered all the CEA codes into Halo Waypoint. It mentions 'background image unlocked' after each or something like that, how do I access those?

Just entered all the CEA codes into Halo Waypoint. It mentions 'background image unlocked' after each or something like that, how do I access those?
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I've seen some people with different backgrounds but I couldn't find a way to change my own.

Trasher

I think one thing about me is that I'm actually nicer in real life. When it's Halo time, I'm calling out, wanting to win and if you're not helping me do that, damn I get fucking mad. Even here, I'll make fun of how bad Dax is every chance I get but in real life I'd probably do it just a few times :p

You are a terrible human being.

Does anyone fancy rolling around MM in an hour from now? Zalin and I are gonna just do a few matches and the less randoms we have, the better.

Cool beans Fyre.

Slightly OT, but I am downloading a few games atm from the XBLM. I have heard this mentioned before but why does the second item you download on a given day take sooo much longer to download than it should? It's at least 3x as slow.

FyreWulff

Cool beans Fyre.

Slightly OT, but I am downloading a few games atm from the XBLM. I have heard this mentioned before but why does the second item you download on a given day take sooo much longer to download than it should? It's at least 3x as slow.

Your ISP probably bursted the first one

daedalius

Map card for Bungie's MMO for Activision.

/facepalm

so tired of MMOs. Still holding out hope its something else.

Would you guys like it if you could have Brink/Battlefield-esque interactivity with the environment for Halo 4?

I hope you don't mean the goofy seeing your legs when you jump over things in BF; it seems to promote all kinds of weird lag hitching and not being able to jump over things. Jumping up to ledges and grabbing them like Crysis... maybe; probably not necessary though. Would rather have a bit of destructibility in the environments, but Frank already said there would be a bit. I imagine it will be similar to Gears, where cover can be chipped away at and broken when shot at enough, but never totally breaks.

I imagine forerunner and precursor walls are REALLY hard to break, even with forerunner weapons.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I was talking about this last night with some buddies while we were playing Battlefield 3 and was curious to know what you all thought.

Would you guys like it if you could have Brink/Battlefield-esque interactivity with the environment for Halo 4?

Trasher

I was talking about this last night with some buddies while we were playing Battlefield 3 and was curious to know what you all thought.

What is that exactly? Destroying fences/walls etc?

TheOddOne

The parkour type stuff? ...ehhh both those games can barely pull it off decently so I say no.

FyreWulff

I'd like to see them return to the interactivity that a few Halo 2 maps had.. abilities to control gates and such with buttons.

Or at least have the functionality available in whatever map editor ends up in there, a shame we haven't gotten any buttons in the later DLC maps.

kylej

Banned
Because he's pretty aggressive with his views, and occasionally (okay, usually) comes off as an arrogant sonofabitch. He rarely allows for actual DISCUSSION in the way he approaches arguments - it tends to piss people off.

That guy sounds like a real dick. I hate people who act that way.

Trasher

Why does he get hate?

Because he's pretty aggressive with his views, and occasionally (okay, usually) comes off as an arrogant sonofabitch. He rarely allows for actual DISCUSSION in the way he approaches arguments - it tends to piss people off.

Which is nutso, because in real life, he's a totally reasonable person.

Sounds like this one guy I know who can't post here anymore. :(

The Mirror's Edge-esque leaps over blocks. For Brink, it's being able to use your hands to lift yourself up on spots you can barely reach.
I thought he meant the destruction as well - my jaw literally dropped the first time I saw someone die from a piece of wall falling on them after thinking they had survived an enemy's errant rocket.

As a fan of DC (DC2 especially), I thought it would be a good idea, for a moment.
Then I realised how silly it would look, and somewhat cheapen a Spartan. They could have had it be Nicole. Whatever time vortex brought her to DoA, could bring her there.

But maybe have an Elite? Or a grunt? Make it so silly that it goes beyond being stupid?
Anyway, I can definetely see why MS/343I said no.

FyreWulff

As a fan of DC (DC2 especially), I thought it would be a good idea, for a moment.
Then I realised how silly it would look, and somewhat cheapen a Spartan. They could have had it be Nicole. Whatever time vortex brought her to DoA, could bring her there.

But maybe have an Elite? Or a grunt? Make it so silly that it goes beyond being stupid?

They've already had ridable Ghosts and Warthogs in Kinectimals. I think the cheapen barrier was already broken.

KevinRo

I want to be able to blow up key infrastructure in games causing the battle wave to move somewhere else in the map.

My definition of the battle wave:

You know when you play big team battle and you notice there is a certain front where both teams end up fighting each other? They usually end up being in the most hotly contested areas on the map. I call that 'the wave'. I try to avoid it like hell. Why go there and fight just to be destroyed by new people joining the wave? Why not go around and flank your opponent gaining an overkill or something?

I take a look at where the wave propagates throughout the map(look at some heatmaps on bungie). If it doesn't actually move at all, the map is some shit. The map might be fun, open and playable but that doesn't take away from the fact that the map is some shit. The problem with Halo multipayer maps is that most of them don't actually have battle waves that move or progress to different parts of the map. They're usually in a couple hot spots that everyone knows people are likely to go to. This needs to change. Halo's multiplayer map formula is getting old and everyone knows it.

I'll sum up 75 percent of Halo multiplayer maps ever in a coupe sentences:

Usually a symmetrical map where both teams rush to the middle to fight for powerweapons/powerups. Incursion into the enemy base is usually a macro managed fight where teams overpower the other team into death submission (spawn killing) by brute force and not through intelligence.

Bridges, dams, lights, and trees need to be able to be destroyed. Man cannons, lifts, and teleportals all need to be able to be destroyed or turned off.

For a map like Coagulation, imagine having a power generator at the bottom of the base where the banshee bay use to be. If the other team goes there and turns it off(through some sort of damage or switch), the home team can't teleportal. The home team has to wait a minute for the generators to be reactivated, thus giving the home team a disadvantage for a minute. Somewhat like a power play. You shouldn't have let the opposing team turn off your power generator, now you can't exit the through a portal or mancannon. You have to suffer sprinting across the map in a vehicle or on foot. Now it doesn't completely cripple the team, but if used right it can put them at such a disadvantage the the other team has a likely chance of stealing the flag. This is obviously the time to move up and take the flag if you're the other team. Perfect cause and effect interactive environments. It gives teams a secondary objective rather than just running in a warthog across the map waiting to get destroyed.

Now I'm not saying that's what coagulation should have been but different thinking like that should be introduced into the new maps. Something different has to be changed in halo multiplayer.

Consolidate the playlists. Combine firefight and invasion into one gametype. Instead of taking away things that made the game cool like BxR and the reload glitch, incorporate them into the game itself. Look at Gears of War, they incorporated fast reloading into their gameplay and I swear they had to have taken that idea from the glitches in Halo2.

to7Nb.gif

Homeboyd

I was aware of that but Kinectimals is such a non-factor for me I had forgotten it.

So, DC3 Frankie?

I thought kylej was being clever/making a HaloGAF personality reference.

He was... implying he's not a totally reasonable person irl. Me either.

Also, 343.. not cool updating those exploitable custom challenges... not cool at all. Ha

Now you can't have a "headshots challenge" a "kills challenge" and a "medals challenge" all running at the same time in FF MM.. and they're worth significantly less for the goals.

TT

Engineer.

-------
Finished Glasslands over the holiday weekend. Really happy with it. I'll have to dig through the thread for all the spoilertext I skipped before.

Two quick things:
I love Engineers. I think they're my favorite species in the Halo universe.

At one point an Engineer said "We must maintain this facility." I think that was a sly reference to Red vs. Blue, specifically the Battle Creek guys chanting "We must protect this house!" I know she's a fan of RvB...

He was... implying he's not a totally reasonable person irl. Me either.

Also, 343.. not cool updating those exploitable custom challenges... not cool at all. Ha

Now you can't have a "headshots challenge" a "kills challenge" and a "medals challenge" all running at the same time in FF MM.. and they're worth significantly less for the goals.

TT

That sucks, I was going to try and grind that method someday. Damn you 343!

Ramirez

I'm not surprised. I think a lot of people act differently with their online persona vs who they are when you're hanging out with them.

Me and Ghaleon talked quite a lot at PAX, he played father figure and asked how I was doing, we rarely agree on anything here. :p

I also shook Urk's hand and made nice, I will still rib him on GAF when given the opportunity though. :D

Homeboyd

I left my ethernet cord at home :\ no online gaming until wednesday at the soonest
I feel ya man.. I left my copy of Anniversary at home. Only had the Reach disc in my xbox (don't have room at the moment to d/l game)..

Was on the last mission when I left too... :(

I work away from home. Wont get home until Friday.

Trasher

Me and Ghaleon talked quite a lot at PAX, he played father figure and asked how I was doing, we rarely agree on anything here. :p

I also shook Urk's hand and made nice, I will still rib him on GAF when given the opportunity though. :D

Ramirez: HaloGAF's reigning online asshole.

That guy sounds like a real dick. I hate people who act that way.

What a BK.

Been thinking about halo 4, looking at pics and leaks of the hao builds we never got to see properly ect.

halo+4+reach+screeen+shot+tom+morrelo.jpg

Selectable HUD colours or a new HUD colour would be really nice at this point.

As far as the HUD goes the whole top section is great, maybe scale it down a touch and fill out the bottom right hand corner with .. something,

Squad status maybe similar to how the spartans are meant to see blinking lights to communicate ect.

Top Bottom