• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tunavi

Banned
On the topic of Noble Team: Reach's characters felt so forced. Actually the whole campaign felt forced.

I doubt CE's single player will ever be topped by another single player FPS. It had interesting characters, the beautiful soundtrack, an incredible portrayal of guerilla warfare, objectives that actually move the story forward, mindblowing AI, and oh yeah, the gameplay comes second to none.

Reach could have been just as good, but for some reason they created the worst characters/plot in Halo history rather than following the backstory of Keyes and Chief and it was the worst depiction of global war I could imagine.

I'm just glad CEA happened.

PNut

Banned
conansj4n.gif
lol, I had the same reaction...

Lol! The new Anniversary settings just seem weird to me in Reach. I don't mind the new maps though. Just love the DMR, Arena (before it was left to die), Swat, SS and Snipers. More HaloGAF people should add me if you like those gametypes.

ZalinKrow

Thanks for the games earlier guys. I'm still really diggin' the new playlists. Went back into some of the older playlists the other day and got way more frustrated than I ever remember getting on Reach :p So I think I'll stick to partying up in Anniversary ones for now :)

Also, "garbagebarfbaby"... Has to be one of the weirdest gamertags I've come across recently haha. Some strange folks out there.

heckfu

Banned
Thanks for the games earlier guys. I'm still really diggin' the new playlists. Went back into some of the older playlists the other day and got way more frustrated than I ever remember getting on Reach :p So I think I'll stick to partying up in Anniversary ones for now :)

Also, "garbagebarfbaby"... Has to be one of the weirdest gamertags I've come across recently haha. Some strange folks out there.

i want to be bffls with him and HaloGamerscore

blamite

Funny, that's the map that made me hate it. Spawn low, get shot twice before you can even move. :-/
I just enjoy hanging out on that corner walkway and shooting into the center and upper catwalks. I've only played a few handfulls of games on the map though, so I probably just haven't had a chance for it to become shitty once I start facing better players.

The other maps seem really cramped with Anniversary movement speed, especially Beaver Creek. I find it really hard to use the pistol with that kind of maneuverability.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You guys know the Bungie app can be used as a widget for Android? Just accidentally discovered this. Pretty cool. Sexy too.

I just enjoy hanging out on that corner walkway and shooting into the center and upper catwalks. I've only played a few handfulls of games on the map though, so I probably just haven't had a chance for it to become shitty once I start facing better players.

The other maps seem really cramped with Anniversary movement speed, especially Beaver Creek. I find it really hard to use the pistol with that kind of maneuverability.

The maps featured faster movement in the original games though.

Yeah, but I never really played Halo 1 multiplayer. All my Nostalgia is for H2, and (although I might be wrong) I don't remember it being nearly as fast as the Anniversary gametypes.

I think the Anniversary gametypes are about the speed of H2 and CE was a bit faster.

That's just my feeling though.

I love it though, its one of the main reasons that I like the settings so much. I hate the slow movement speed of Reach and H3.

Kuroyume

Banned
All the Reach characters were pretty boring. They couldn't have made the team leader any more dull. Didn't care for the voice acting either.

Havok

I think the Anniversary gametypes are about the speed of H2 and CE was a bit faster.

That's just my feeling though.
Movement speed feels about right for the weird 2/CE hybrid that it is, it works with the scale of the maps. The problem is the gravity settings making jumps far too short for either the high height of Halo 2 or the horizontal glide of CE.

Also, flag/bomb carriers are far too slow for the fast kill times of the Anniversary pistol. It's as slow or slower than Halo 3 base speed.

Movement speed feels about right for the weird 2/CE hybrid that it is, it works with the scale of the maps. The problem is the gravity settings making jumps far too short for either the high height of Halo 2 or the horizontal glide of CE.

Also, flag/bomb carriers are far too slow for the fast kill times of the Anniversary pistol. It's as slow or slower than Halo 3 base speed.

Movement speed feels very good to me. A slight increase of jump height would be nice, and they should do CE objective carrier settings, aka, you are not slowed down at all by carrying the objective.

Kats death didnt make sense. Random needle rifle shot kills her?

Aren't all the characters getting shot hundreds of times through the campaign? Reminds me of Sephiroth killing Aeris with his sword, I got slashed and shot thousands of times prior but that time she dies?

WTF.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All the Reach characters were pretty boring. They couldn't have made the team leader any more dull. Didn't care for the voice acting either.

Odd, I loved every character from Noble team. IMO Reach had the best story/campaign of all the games, second only to ODST.

Kats death didnt make sense. Random needle rifle shot kills her?

Aren't all the characters getting shot hundreds of times through the campaign? Reminds me of Sephiroth killing Aeris with his sword, I got slashed and shot thousands of times prior but that time she dies?

WTF.

I'm holding onto the "EMP dropped her shields" theory.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Reach story was bad, mostly.

Only characters likeable were Jorge and Kat.

Halo 2 > Halo 3 > ODST + Halo 1 > Reach

Something like that.

The approach to the plot and the characters in Reach was a bit atypical. The idea of Reach's campaign, down to the way the cameras shoot the cinematics was that this is story of a group of soldiers from the the period of time that the game starts to the period of time that the game ends. In that time, you live what the they lived, but you only know what people in their position would know during that time period. Outside of that, you are not clued in to what is going on, but trusted to care about the characters based on what you see on the screen, not what you hear about a characters past or other elements.

Another example of this type of character and plot development is Michael Mann's Public Enemies. It is a story of John Dillinger for the last couple years of his life. You learn nothing else about his past, and that is absolutely intentional.

I don't think this is a perfect form of storytelling, nor was it executed perfectly in Reach, just some thoughts about the way Reach was told.

Playing as the goofy ass Arbiter in Halo2 auto knocks it down from the top of the list.

I am dissapoint. Your golden post about why CE multiplayer is the shit in the Anniversary thread brought a smile to my face, but the Arbiter was a better character than the chief, and the fact that you play as him and see his story is absolutely the strong point of H2's campaign IMO.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Playing as the goofy ass Arbiter in Halo2 auto knocks it down from the top of the list.
Sure his armor was bad, but the lines in Halo 2 trump all the dialogue in every other game in the series.
The approach to the plot and the characters in Reach was a bit atypical. The idea of Reach's campaign, down to the way the cameras shoot the cinematics was that this is story of a group of soldiers from the the period of time that the game starts to the period of time that the game ends. In that time, you live what the they lived, but you only know what people in their position would know during that time period. Outside of that, you are not clued in to what is going on, but trusted to care about the characters based on what you see on the screen, not what you hear about a characters past or other elements.

Another example of this type of character and plot development is Michael Mann's Public Enemies. It is a story of John Dillinger for the last couple years of his life. You learn nothing else about his past, and that is absolutely intentional.

I don't think this is a perfect form of storytelling, nor was it executed perfectly in Reach, just some thoughts about the way Reach was told.
I liked Public Enemies(for the most part), I did not like Reach.

Sure his armor was bad, but the lines in Halo 2 trump all the dialogue in every other game in the series.

I liked Public Enemies(for the most part), I did not like Reach.

Goddamn H2 dialogue was so good.

The storytelling in Public Enemies was obviously superior to Reach, but I feel that the concept behind the storytelling was very similar.

I fucking loved Public Enemies, and maybe that's why I like Reach's campaign more than most of HaloGAF.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Looks like Assault from Status Quo has decided to call it quits. He was always a cool guy whenever I matched with him in matchmaking.

KevinRo

Talking about story here, not the levels.

Yeah, no one understood what the fuck was happening with the Arbiter in Halo2. I had to play it twice just to get past the mangled storyline. If anything it just confused the shit out of the story line for casual gamers. I honestly did not even finish the Halo2 campaign or care about it until Halo3 came out. Then I went back and played the campaign and hated it even more.

Like. Hello. GRAVEMIND < that shit I still don't even understand

*edit*

when i say I don't understand I mean, where did it come from? It just appeared randomly out of no where in the middle of the story line. Just POOOF out of nowhere.

TheOddOne

Was watching the Halo A-Z video with Frankie and he mentions we didn't see all of Noble Teams fates and at least one of them could have survived. Guessing that would be Jorge?
wwm0nkey, think about how Halsey escaped Reach.

I quite liked the characters of Reach, but felt that you barely got a chance to really attache yourself to them.

daedalius

Yeah, no one understood what the fuck was happening with the Arbiter in Halo2. I had to play it twice just to get past the mangled storyline. If anything it just confused the shit out of the story line for casual gamers. I honestly did not even finish the Halo2 campaign or care about it until Halo3 came out. Then I went back and played the campaign and hated it even more.

Like. Hello. GRAVEMIND < that shit I still don't even understand

*edit*

when i say I don't understand I mean, where did it come from? It just appeared randomly out of no where in the middle of the story line. Just POOOF out of nowhere.

Would have helped if you could have seen the fact that the installation you were on had been overrun by the flood for some time. It certainly didn't seem that way visually, and you never ran into any flood.

H2 probably could have been a bit better presented.

I thought Reach did a decent job, they didn't get you hooked into the characters enough to really feel bad when they died. I mean, I did, but I'm a softie. So many retcons though, at least the end of the new printing of Fall of Reach does a pretty good job of trying to tie it all together(and the data drops).

wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey, think about how Halsey escaped Reach.

I quite liked the characters of Reach, but felt that you barely got a chance to really attache yourself to them.

Yeah I know but I really did forget Jun was a character lol

Also that was the main problem with the characters and the story, the story centered around them and you really just didnt care about them because you hardly knew them. Also you never really felt like billions of people where getting killed either. The line "The covenant are on Reach" and how badly that line was executed was pretty much setting the stage for the rest of the game.

Though maybe I am being too harsh, Reach did have some good moments and had pretty amazing set pieces at times.

Havok

Would have helped if you could have seen the fact that the installation you were on had been overrun by the flood for some time. It certainly didn't seem that way visually, and you never ran into any flood.
Part of that stems from the fact that you had spent just two levels on Delta Halo at that point, both of them just outside the Sentinel Wall. Once they reveal that the infestation had been going for quite some time, the evidence for the installation being overrun becomes very clear - the Quarantine Zone's very existence is presumably due to the outbreak. The Gravemind reveal was a little weird and abrupt, but knowing that there were cut levels that helped to introduce the character brings it into focus a little bit better. And the Anniversary terminal hinting at the goings on of 05 at the time helps as well. I'll stand firm in saying that the single biggest problem with the Gravemind reveal was that they tried to visualize his body the way that they did. They didn't have the fidelity to do the mountain of corpses with skulls for teeth, so everybody just remembers him as 'that talking plant guy' which doesn't lend the required gravitas to his character.

But that's just me, as someone who thought the story that the game told was fairly straightforward, at least enough that it could be somewhat digested even in a single playthrough. It was a more political story with at least some subtext, sure, and a lot of that is what I like about it. The Arbiter's first cutscene is one of my absolute favorites in the entire series. And boy, that ending wouldn't cause nearly as much of a stink now that Assassins Creed games have much bigger cliffhanger severy single year than it did.

TheOddOne

Yeah I know but I really did forget Jun was a character lol

Also that was the main problem with the characters and the story, the story centered around them and you really just didnt care about them because you hardly knew them. Also you never really felt like billions of people where getting killed either. The line "The covenant are on Reach" and how badly that line was executed was pretty much setting the stage for the rest of the game.

Though maybe I am being too harsh, Reach did have some good moments and had pretty amazing set pieces at times.
Can't blame you for missing that part, it hit me some time later that Jun was still (or might be?) alive.

It's strange, Reach really as a game tries to be the blockbuster type game and at the same time a more intimate. At one time Bungie must have though, we need to focus more on the blockbuster. Arm chair speculating, but to me it sure feels like that.

The Gravemind reveal was a little weird and abrupt, but knowing that there were cut levels that helped to introduce the character brings it into focus a little bit better.

Much of 2's story and pacing jankiness was almost assuredly this.

Reading about how much of a clusterfuck Halo 2 development was really makes you kind of amazed that they managed to complete it on time at all. I bet there are people that still have nightmares about it, like how people who haven't been in school for years still have nightmares about big tests.

Tunavi

Banned
The Story of Halo Reach in 15 seconds:
Bunch of dudebro's running across farms, they realize their planet is about to get attacked, no one really cares, they press some buttons, go into space where Jorge sets off a bomb, come back to Reach and you save some random worthless people, fly around a city pressing more buttons, bring half of cortana to the other half, everyone dies.

New Alexandria is the only outstanding level, and thats because they tried to make it just like ODST, which was a great game.

daedalius

Part of that stems from the fact that you had spent just two levels on Delta Halo at that point, both of them just outside the Sentinel Wall. Once they reveal that the infestation had been going for quite some time, the evidence for the installation being overrun becomes very clear - the Quarantine Zone's very existence is presumably due to the outbreak. The Gravemind reveal was a little weird and abrupt, but knowing that there were cut levels that helped to introduce the character brings it into focus a little bit better. And the Anniversary terminal hinting at the goings on of 05 at the time helps as well. I'll stand firm in saying that the single biggest problem with the Gravemind reveal was that they tried to visualize his body the way that they did. They didn't have the fidelity to do the mountain of corpses with skulls for teeth, so everybody just remembers him as 'that talking plant guy' which doesn't lend the required gravitas to his character.

But that's just me, as someone who thought the story that the game told was fairly straightforward, at least enough that it could be somewhat digested even in a single playthrough. It was a more political story with at least some subtext, sure, and a lot of that is what I like about it. The Arbiter's first cutscene is one of my absolute favorites in the entire series. And boy, that ending wouldn't cause nearly as much of a stink now that Assassins Creed games have much bigger cliffhanger severy single year than it did.

Been since before h3 that I played it last, once my tv is broken in, I'll play it again ;)

Top Bottom