• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

daedalius

All of your rage against Tashi aside, I'd love to know what you consider to be 'classic' Halo.

I think we had a big list of what people want to see in H4 a few pages back here or in the Anniversary thread.

I'd think classic would be mostly like Halo2 though, since that was base gameplay without too many added frills (AAs, Equipment, etc) other than vehicles on some maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Reach story was bad, mostly.

Only characters likeable were Jorge and Kat.

Halo 2 > Halo 3 > ODST + Halo 1 > Reach

Something like that.

I can't believe how different our tastes are. ;)

I would literally flip that list around.

Reach > ODST > Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 2.

I think we had a big list of what people want to see in H4 a few pages back here or in the Anniversary thread.

I'd think classic would be mostly like Halo2 though, since that was base gameplay without too many added thrills other than vehicles on some maps.

I think most people on this forum would settle for this.

However, I give bungie it's dues because they had the balls to do something different, whether it payed off depends on you.

Like Edge said and something which I completely agree with:

Heading back to Halo is enough to make you realise that all the additions to series over the last ten years - dual wielding, new vehicles, new weapons, Halo 3’s equipment, Reach’s armour abilities, and yes, even the Brutes – were necessary. Not to make better games, but to make different ones. Every tweak to the balanced combat at Halo’s core gave us new tactics to learn, and new skills to master. Halo’s combat might have been nigh perfect, but this was also its problem: without changes it had nowhere else to go.

monome

Halo 4 introduction kills any hope of not having "equipment".

I wouldn't mind being able to toggle between Speed and Flight and have only those two and them sharing the same meter.

As people said some pages back, I'd like to see more objectives to go to and capture on the multiplayer maps. Like Invasion slayer did, capture certain territorys that don't move from their locations to get certain extra's on a map like a vehicle bay, activate/deactivate mancannons, shielddoors etc. Something that really promotes movement around the map.

They could keep certain AA's/equipement but make them like powerweapons. They'd need to have a certain ''ammo count'' and a long respawn time and you do not spawn with any of them.

For campaign, I'd like to see some side-objectives like Halo-Wars did. Make them unlock achievements, extra armor or stuff that helps you beat the mission so people actually want to do the missions.

Louis Wu

I'd think classic would be mostly like Halo2 though, since that was base gameplay without too many added frills (AAs, Equipment, etc) other than vehicles on some maps.

I'd be unhappy if this is where things went. I liked Halo 3 and Reach BOTH better than Halo 2, where multiplayer is concerned.

(Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed Halo 2 multiplayer. But I liked Halo 3's and Reach's better.)

daedalius

Halo 4 introduction kills any hope of not having "equipment".

I wouldn't mind being able to toggle between Speed and Flight and have only those two and them sharing the same meter.

Frankie said most Mjolnir have zero-g maneuvering thrusters, but they might not be ideal in atmosphere.

Cue thruster enhanced evade "you can evade even further!" /facepalm

If we have to have anything, I wouldn't mind some limited sprint (but for f's sake don't make base movement speed super slow), a SHORT evade/combat roll (not even close to the half-map garbage we have now), and maybe a little boost at the top of your floaty jump to get to higher places. And of course, everyone would have all of those all the time, you wouldn't have to pick.

I didn't mind equipment so much, since you actually had to fight over it. AAs are totally meh, unless everyone starts with all of them, therefore giving you a balanced play-field. I liked them way better than armor abilities anyway. Power-drain on a 'hog followed up by a few plasma grenades was always fun.

And of course, all of this would be toggle-able based on the gametype.

Karl2177

Equipment/AA is like a dick. It's great that it has them, but for the love of God, don't ram it down my throat. Let me play Halo the way I want to play Halo.

TheOddOne

For campaign, I'd like to see some side-objectives like Halo-Wars did. Make them unlock achievements, extra armor or stuff that helps you beat the mission so people actually want to do the missions.
Kind of related, I would love to hear the 343i designers on the Sparkast. Maby get their view on game design in general, past Halo games and moving Halo forward. Nerd dream, I know.

Please no evade/sprint/jetpack/armor lock/whatever in Halo 4. If I had to choose between those things and nothing at all (or rather only classic power-ups like overshield and invisibility), I'd take the latter each and every time.

PooBone

Please no evade/sprint/jetpack/armor lock/whatever in Halo 4. If I had to choose between those things and nothing at all (or rather only classic power-ups like overshield and invisibility), I'd take the latter each and every time.

If they keep sprint I wouldn't be too upset, but everything else, get rid of it.

daedalius

I really doubt we will see sprint go away at this point, other than a special playlist that doesn't have it. Too many people expect it I think.

Of course having sprint doesn't mean we shouldn't have classic power-ups either.

Keeping fingers cross for no jetpack/evade though. Armor lock won't come back, no way.

What about:

Default - Armor Abilities are pickups on map (so go pick up a limited-fuel jetpack) which basically turns them into Equipment
Invasion - Armor Abilities are available upon spawn (depending on which loadout you pick) but still have limited fuel
Action Sack - Armor Abilities at spawn with unlimited use (Dino Blasters, etc.)

So for the default gametypes the abundance (or scarcity) of AAs is dependent on the map's placement of them. If jetpack breaks a map, don't place it in Forge. This means the default movement speed/acceleration/etc. has to be tuned with the assumption that people won't always have the option of picking sprint. So the more hardcore/pro playlists can remove Equipment/AAs from the maps and still play just fine.

(Sorry if I've said this before, I just enjoy the continuing discussion.)

Would rather have sprint and then decent equipment, but no evade or jetpacks. Would rather go back to Halo 3 styled equipment than what we got in Reach.

I know we've been over this before, but sprint isn't needed if the base player speed is fast enough. And you have mancannons.

Doesn't mean every FPS player isn't expecting it to be there. Sprint as a pickup is super boring, would rather just not have it at all. I want pickups/equipment to be cool, not run.

What about:

Default - Armor Abilities are pickups on map (so go pick up a limited-fuel jetpack) which basically turns them into Equipment
Invasion - Armor Abilities are available upon spawn (depending on which loadout you pick) but still have limited fuel

So for the default gametypes the abundance (or scarcity) of AAs is dependent on the map's placement of them. If jetpack breaks a map, don't place it in Forge. This means the default movement speed/acceleration/etc. has to be tuned with the assumption that people won't always have the option of picking sprint. So the more hardcore/pro playlists can remove Equipment/AAs from the maps and still play just fine.

What about:

When I read Havok's Breakneck critic, I wanted to say something similar. Why are AA not pick-ups? It would be a mix between classic and Reach's gameplay. Did 343i reach the cap of playlist with Anniversary already? They could try out this with a beta playlist again.

KevinRo

I'll back you up, people on this forum are far more critical to certain aspects of reach and they have their reasons for doing so.

Many people have a reason to hate Reach. It's extremely polarizing. I played Halo die-hard competitively for years. Shit, I use to participate at MLG events as a kid when I had to bring my OWN freaking TV to the events. Seriously, I thought it would've taken an act of God to make me stop playing this game. Reach really made me lose all interest in the competitive aspect of Halo and multiplayer in general. Although the Gold gametypes MLG are testing right now are pretty sweet.

Reach is, by far, the most hated Halo by MLG players. There is no consistency at the top; look at the last event for proof. Everyone hates bloom, HATES it. On LAN it's just constant spam. One players opinion doesn't represent the entire community. Prevailing opinion on Reach is that it stinks for competitive play. Not only that, but the reception of Anniversary and Zero Bloom in the community just proves my point even more. I still LAN with my old MLG buddies, and everyone agrees, it blows. Halfway through a lan we bust out Halo:CE and play 2v2's instead of playing Reach. Yes, we still play a 10 year old game, that's how freaking awesome it is compared to Reach.

As nice as some of Juices's suggestions are, whatever processes, structures and resources are in place make it seem like an impossibility.

Hire Juices.

kylej

Banned
Really not sure why you haven't been hired yet. I hope someone will at least rip off your ideas, because they're incredibly reasonable and well thought out.

It makes much more sense to have people run the playlists who don't play Halo. Just ask Bungie and 343.

Incoming snarky emptyquote from Frankie towards Juices, incoming white noise post from David Ellis avoiding Juices' recommendations.

What was that recent quote in one of the updates, that they need to "wait and see" before making any changes to the playlists? Welp, glad there's time to goof off and do nothing as the player population shrinks daily. Maybe once Reach is out of the top 10 XBL activity we'll get a fusion coil removed here or there.

It would be frustrating if we weren't all used to this bullshit for years now.

Havok

I know we've been over this before, but sprint isn't needed if the base player speed is fast enough.
With the last two games as precedent, it seems as if they're going to make walk speed very slow whether sprint is in or not (I would love if this wasn't the case going forward). Given a choice between Halo 3's mandatory turtle speed or Reach's optional turtle speed, I'll take the easy way out with sprint any day.

On equipment and armor abilities, I've said this before, but they need to be better integrated into the existing powerup system if they return - make them scarce, make them behave in a manner that is reliable and easy to predict by all players in the game, and don't eat into the existing powerups' abilities by being defensive - we have an overshield for that purpose (axe directly offensive abilities entirely). Things like the radar jammer, flare, and gravity lift were the most balanced (if most boring) of the equipment because they didn't change the primary action of the game (shootin' dudes in the face and your ability to do so or avoid having it done to you), but rather movement and awareness. The problem is that equipment was scattered everywhere with fast respawns, which rendered them kind of meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A single use in a given match wasn't likely to be super memorable because they were popping off all over the place. Equipment could serve that same purpose, but the implementation just wasn't there. The radar jamming function of the cloak could be incredibly useful if it was just by itself, but it's paired with a broken ability. Jetpack's behavior isn't properly tuned for map balance. The list goes on.

JdFoX187

Banned
With the last two games as precedent, it seems as if they're going to make walk speed very slow whether sprint is in or not (I would love if this wasn't the case going forward). Given a choice between Halo 3's mandatory turtle speed or Reach's optional turtle speed, I'll take the easy way out with sprint any day.

On equipment and armor abilities, I've said this before, but they need to be better integrated into the existing powerup system if they return - make them scarce, make them behave in a manner that is reliable and easy to predict by all players in the game, and don't eat into the existing powerups' abilities by being defensive - we have an overshield for that purpose (axe directly offensive abilities entirely). Things like the radar jammer, flare, and gravity lift were the most balanced (if most boring) of the equipment because they didn't change the primary action of the game (shootin' dudes in the face and your ability to do so or avoid having it done to you), but rather movement and awareness. The problem is that equipment was scattered everywhere with fast respawns, which rendered them kind of meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A single use in a given match wasn't likely to be super memorable because they were popping off all over the place. Equipment could serve that same purpose, but the implementation just wasn't there. The radar jamming function of the cloak could be incredibly useful if it was just by itself, but it's paired with a broken ability. Jetpack's behavior isn't properly tuned for map balance. The list goes on.
Guest appearance to say I agree 110 percent.

Incoming snarky emptyquote from Frankie towards Juices, incoming white noise post from David Ellis avoiding Juices' recommendations.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

kylej

Banned
another great Hydranockz post

Not being a badass, stating what's going to happen. It would be nice to see a company in charge of Halo even pretend to listen to the community when it comes to matchmaking, instead of putting their head down and blindly following a broken, dying path. It won't happen though.

On a lighter note Timedog has 2 weeks to get used to Reach before our showdown. =)

Edit: And I'm borrowing SSF4 from a pal so he can get revenge.

Not being a badass, stating what's going to happen. It would be nice to see a company in charge of Halo even pretend to listen to the community when it comes to matchmaking, instead of putting their head down and blindly following a broken, dying path. It won't happen though.

See, what you have said right there is infintely less insulting than your badass post.

ElRenoRaven

I'd be unhappy if this is where things went. I liked Halo 3 and Reach BOTH better than Halo 2, where multiplayer is concerned.

(Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed Halo 2 multiplayer. But I liked Halo 3's and Reach's better.)

I'm with you on that. Give me Halo 3's multiplayer with a faster Run speed and no armor abilites/equipment and lasers and I'd be in hog heaven.

It is honestly amazing seeing the difference with a company that appears to care.

Playing a lot of LoL (league of legends) lately and it is amazing the amount of support the game gets from its devs. WEEKLY patches that address issues, etc and tons of new content all the time. In contrast we get a map pack every six months and a MM update monthly if we are lucky.

:\

sorry to be bitter, but I have been a Halo fan for the past 10 years and it is so disappointing seeing a franchise ran straight into the ground through lack of support.

If the truth is insulting to you, grow a pair. I'm pretty sure Frankie and David are big boys they don't need you to be their knight in shining armor.

Woah, easy there buddy.

char_13496.jpg

Boy, I say, boy! Now please, when, I say, when did I ever say I was insulted? Heck, when did I ever even say that Frankie or Ellis were insulted? Go on, point it out. I most certainly said that what you there said was insultin', but there is a darn big difference between the two.
Now, it's all too easy these days to white knight this and white knight that. Some would say what I there said was white knightin', just like some could easily say your undying affection for juice's and his ideals is white knightin' of sorts, but that ain't me.
You just take Halo too seriously, that's all. It's ok, it's happened us all at some point or another. You're annoyed and bothered that the game you love isn't what it could be. You see logical improvements that can be made by people you admire and you take it to a personal level when those suggestions are ignored. Is that a hint that you're perhaps taking this a bit too seriously? Come on now, think about it.

@Devin: How much post-release support did Halo: CE receive? Ok, ok, bad example. Halo 2 then... Halo 3? What Halo game has ever been adequately supported to your needs post-release and how does that differ from Halo: Reach? Serious question. I think you'll find that, although the means for post-release support became more readily available to Bungie as the years went by, they never truely put enough resources into it. Playlist support was always the work of about one person and even then, changes were rolled out on a very slow basis. A fan of Halo you certainly are, but how can the franchise be run into the ground when the way they handle it has barely changed? Or is that the reason why?

Karl2177

It is honestly amazing seeing the difference with a company that appears to care.

Playing a lot of LoL (league of legends) lately and it is amazing the amount of support the game gets from its devs. WEEKLY patches that address issues, etc and tons of new content all the time. In contrast we get a map pack every six months and a MM update monthly if we are lucky.

sorry to be bitter, but I have been a Halo fan for the past 10 years and it is so disappointing seeing a franchise ran straight into the ground through lack of support.

Some this has to do with the infrastructure of Xbox Live and the limitations of the 360 as well as lack of developer support. 343i, you've been "Just getting started" for a few months now. I would expect a bit more.

ElRenoRaven

Really? Really?
It wasn't obvious that of course he would want the best netcode possible? It goes without saying.

Edit : Beaten.

LOL. You're starting to sound like me with those Reallys there Zeouter. lmao

Yep, the way the Halo online experience is handled is frustrating to say the least..

It is. Bungie I understand. They were preparing to move on and were gearing up for their new franchise. 343 has no such excuse. It's their job to oversee the game now. honestly I've always hated the matchmaking bullshit. This is why too. It makes it impossible to really get to play what you want to play unless you run custom games. I really want a damn server browser. I'm so sick of trying to play the modes and maps I want when I don't have enough friends to do that. At least with a server browser I could find a server that has the modes and maps I want and stick to that server.

I think the key difference here between LoL and Halo is the difference in business models. LoL is freemium/SaaS whereas Halo (and most all AAA Titles) follow the process of build it, ship it, make DLC. rinse repeat.

I think the key difference here between LoL and Halo is the difference in business models. LoL is freemium/SaaS whereas Halo (and most all AAA Titles) follow the process of build it, ship it, make DLC. rinse repeat.

Yeah, that's a pretty strartling argument. Sad but true and all that. Can we really expect a change in fututre Halo titles?

@Havok: Well, it's worked for them up until now. They have innovated in so many other ways for the genre, maybe now it is their turn to take a look at other devs and how they manage post-release ;)

Shouldn't matter, just because I've paid for the game doesn't mean that the dev should stop supporting it.

edit: map packs do not equal support FWIW

Shouldn't matter, just because I've paid for the game doesn't mean that the dev should stop supporting it.

Don't suggst that support has stopped. That's being a bit too bitter. The support is there, it's just not managed correctly/appropriately. The game now is quite a bit different from launch. The Anniversary playlists are getting things right... but taking two steps back by only further seperating the playerbase.

For you Gabotron

Invasion: Mombasa Phase Progression prototype

Phase 1's placement is pretty much a lock

Phase 2 i'm still up in the air about, working on that one

Phase 3 is almost final, and will definitely be the core retrieval.

I might do Bomb -> Bomb -> Core.

Look good. I wonder if there is a chance of 343 putting something like this in the playlist.

Yea I get why but who the fuck wants to go in a playlist with just randoms? It's just sucking up players from other lists. Halo 3 did a good job of matching you against your party size for the most part. I think you sacrifice potentially long search times and make it match you against people of your party size.

Agreed, just properly match up players correctly based on party size. The Anniversary Classic playlist already does this.

edit: map packs do not equal support FWIW

Can you think of any other console game that gets a weekly update, fan interaction, monthly playlist changes etc

I'm not being a smartass, I just can't think of any other game with support like halo gets.

One of the nicest things I hear from non-halo players, is the appreciation they feel towards the support halo recieves, some of them are not used it.

Havok

@Havok: Well, it's worked for them up until now. They have innovated in so many other ways for the genre, maybe now it is their turn to take a look at other devs and how they manage post-release ;)
I guess I would say that it hasn't worked for them for a while. Playlist management in Halo 3 was a mess (part of which I attribute to the DLC fiasco, but that doesn't excuse the rest of it), and it's just continued into Reach. One of the big issues I have is that they keep making the same mistakes over and over with each release instead of learning from it the first time. Snipers has been in every Slayer playlist at the product launch. Halo 2 had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo 3 had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo Reach had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo Anniversary has it, people are complaining, it will likely be removed because it serves no purpose. Can you see how comical that is? People are frustrated because we can see a list of good, solid changes right in front of us that we know are being read but no feedback is being passed down, and this far into their cycle that's not encouraging. Even if we were given throwaway reasons why they couldn't be put into effect, it would be a massive improvement over the 'monthly update listing out extremely minor changes with none of the reasoning behind them' model. Monthly updates just aren't enough anymore. There are fundamental changes that need to be blown through faster than that (Hey, why was Drop Shield in Objective for nine months? Why did Evade replace it instead of Hologram?), or else not enough of the stuff is paid the attention it deserves.

The thing is, they don't learn from their sucesses either. Team Flag in Halo 3 was a blast, people loved it, because Objective was dead and the DoubleEXP encouraged people who wouldn't otherwise go near an objective playlist. What do we get with Reach? A playlist that actively discourages people from playing the game for the objective, where payouts are tiny. It's just frustrating, is all.

I guess I would say that it hasn't worked for them for a while. Playlist management in Halo 3 was a mess (part of which I attribute to the DLC fiasco, but that doesn't excuse the rest of it), and it's just continued into Reach. One of the big issues I have is that they keep making the same mistakes over and over with each release instead of learning from it the first time. Snipers has been in every Slayer playlist at the product launch. Halo 2 had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo 3 had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo Reach had it, people complained, it was separated. Halo Anniversary has it, people are complaining, it will likely be removed because it serves no purpose. Can you see how comical that is? People are frustrated because we can see a list of good, solid changes right in front of us that we know are being read but no feedback is being passed down, and this far into their cycle that's not encouraging. Even if we were given throwaway reasons why they couldn't be put into effect, it would be a massive improvement over the 'monthly update listing out extremely minor changes with none of the reasoning behind them' model. Monthly updates just aren't enough anymore. There are fundamental changes that need to be blown through faster than that (Hey, why was Drop Shield in Objective for nine months? Why did Evade replace it instead of Hologram?), or else not enough of the stuff is paid the attention it deserves.

The thing is, they don't learn from their sucesses either. Team Flag in Halo 3 was a blast, people loved it, because Objective was dead and the DoubleEXP encouraged people who wouldn't otherwise go near an objective playlist. What do we get with Reach? A playlist that actively discourages people from playing the game for the objective, where payouts are tiny. It's just frustrating, is all.

I'm having a hard time arguing with most of the things you've said in this post, its pretty much the truth.

However I don't understand all of the hatred, Halo gets so much love from 343, and it did from Bungie, and they do an amazing job in keeping touch with the fans and updating and fixing the damn games.

I think a lot of Halo GAF should realize that you can't just flip a switch and something changes overnight...

Top Bottom