• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

wwm0nkey

While 343i is taking it nice and slow I really would like them to just push a reboot button on MM. We are still stuck with this game for almost a year so making a massive playlist update would be great.

Things I would like to see

-Return of Ranked and Social playlists
-Ranked can not be played with guests
-Weekend playlists (Double Cr payout)
-85% bloom rolled out playlist wide
-Arena abandoned.

Ill take time later to update this with Anniversary playlist and maps integrated. Start here though.

How to fix Reach MM.

Overview

Step 1. Remove every playlist.

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist.

Competitive – No guests, Tight restrictions. Parties allowed.
1. MLG – Arena Ranked
2. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective

Lone Wolf – No parties, No guests
1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit
3. Living Dead

Detailed View

Step 2. Add:

Other – Guests allowed. Parties Allowed.
1. Invasion (6v6)
A. Boneyard Core
B. Spire Core
C. Breakout Core
Note. None of the other original MP maps will be used. Only the specific Invasion maps will be used. 5 maps cut.
2. Firefight (4v4)
Note: The 9 FF Maps pick either FF Classic (Skull progression gameplay) , FF Arcade, 2x Score Attack
3. Campaign (4 player max)
Note: Voting goes through the 9 levels starting with Winter Contingency. Choose Normal, Heroic, Legendary, or None of Above and vote on next level.
4. Weekly Playlist.

5. MLG – Arena Ranked
6. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – (4v4) Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions. To 50 Kills. 10 minutes. No radar. DMR/Pistol starts in SWAT, Sniper/Pistol starts in Snipers.
A. Sword Base SWAT
B. Boardwalk SWAT
C. Countdown SWAT
D. Asylum SWAT
E. Zealot SWAT
F. Anchor 9 SWAT
G. Condemned SWAT
H. Boardwalk Snipers
I. Powerhouse Snipers
J. Tempest Snipers
7. Arena – Arena Ranked (4v4)
A. Zealot
B. Countdown
C. Powerhouse
D. Asylum
8. 1v1 – To 15, 10 minute limit. DMR starts. Arena Ranked.
A. MLG Zealot
B. Sanctuary
9. Title Update Playlist

Social – Guests, Parties
10. Big Team (8v8)
A. Hemmorhage – Multiflag
B. Tempest – Neutral Bomb
C. Boardwalk - Slayer
11. Objective (4v4)
A. Zealot – Multiflag
B. Asylum – Neutral Bomb
C. Boardwalk – 1 Flag
D. Powerhouse – 3 Plots
E. Countdown – Multiflag
F. Anchor 9 – Neutral Flag placed on that walkway ledge.

12. Team Slayer – (4v4) AR/Pistol starts. To 50. 10 minute limit. Radar on.
A. Zealot
B. Boardwalk
C. Reflection
D. Sword Base
E. Anchor 9
F. Powerhouse
13. Rumble Pit – No more parties! DMR/AR starts to 25. NO OBJECTIVES.
A. Countdown
B. Zealot
C. Reflection
D. Boardwalk
E. Powerhouse
F. Sword Base
G. Condemned
H. Anchor 9
14. Living Dead – Betrayel booting on. Don’t care about the sporadic glitch that happens occasionally. One voting page.
A. Sword Base
B. Asylum
C. Uncaged
D. Boardwalk

The purpose is to cut down playlists and gametypes and maps and gametypes per map. This allows tighter control of each gametype and more familiar play.

Adaption.png

GhaleonEB

2. Firefight (4v4)
Note: The 9 FF Maps pick either FF Classic (Skull progression gameplay) , FF Arcade, 2x Score Attack
3. Campaign (4 player max)
Note: Voting goes through the 9 levels starting with Winter Contingency. Choose Normal, Heroic, Legendary, or None of Above and vote on next level.

Hire Juices.

wwm0nkey

Ill take time later to update this with Anniversary playlist and maps integrated. Start here though.

How to fix Reach MM.

Overview

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist.

1. MLG – Arena Ranked
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective

1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit
3. Living Dead
Problem I see here is that there should be a Team Slayer for Social too and not just Lone Wolf because it is one of the more popular modes.

FyreWulff

I had a post that I was going to put on HBO but I got sidetracked, so here it was in unfinished form

A very relevant T-day topic, isn't it? While a lot of us will be carving up birds or other animals today, I'd like to discuss cutting down 3 and Reach.

3 is in the worst need of it, due to lowered population with the same amount of playlists. Instead of repeating myself <a href="http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst42710_Halo-3-Matchmaking-in-need-of-consolidation.aspx">I'll direct you at my Waypoint thread on the topic.</a> The jist of my proposal would be a reduction of Halo 3 down to to 7 playlists from it's current high count, by eliminating fringe playlists and favoring unique experiences.

Now to Reach.

Please 343, for the love of god, if you are not interested in updating Halo 3, at least consider Reach playlist consolidation before you start riding the Halo 4 unicorn around the office every day. The amount of playlists up now will NOT hold once Halo 4 arrives and certainly not versus another CoD, GTA5, and new hardware eventually being released.

Plus we've got to deal with the fact that you've added heavy playerbase splitting and confusing over which pistol you have (in Anniversary Squad, <i>all 3 pistols show up in gametypes</i>

<b>Objective</i>

As stated in my Halo 3 post, Reach playlists should favor unique and popular experiences over fringe gametypes and playlists that only have a small hardcore following.

<b>Restrictions</b>

We cannot cut any playlist nor require DLC for playlists with disc achievements for Reach. This means for example that Invasion cannot be removed or made to require DLC due to the Skunked achievement and the Kill 5 Spartans as an Elite In Invasion achievement.

<b>My Proposal</b>

Of course I want to hear yours, but here's my opinion.

<u>Competitive</u>
The Arena
Team Slayer
MLG
Team objective
Team Precision (SWAT/Snipers folded together)
Multi Team
Invasion
Big Team Battle
Premium Battle

<u>Cooperative</u>
Campaign
Score Attack
Firefight Arcade
Firefight Anniversary (2 man)

<u>Community</u>
Living Dead
Grifball
Action Sack

<u>Anniversary</u>
Anniversary Squad (6v6)
Anniversary FFA
Anniversary Classic

<b>Changes</b>

Living Dead: Anniversary and Defiant required, add in community variants to replace base variants.

Big Team Battle: All DLC required

Firefight Doubles deleted since it really hasn't been given the attention it needs to function. Move Anniversary Firefight up to Cooperative category to replace it. This will have a theme of replicating the Halo 1 experience with 2-man co-op. Heavily weight Installation 04 in Arcade as the first voting option (like Unearthed was for a while) then pull it back later on once everyone has had their fill, but do not require DLC on Arcade.

Now keep in mind this is just a first crunch, and there would be definitely one later on. The only issue I have here is dealing with BTB and Premium Battle both requiring DLC. The upside to Premium Battle being 6v6 is a relatively easy way of getting Invasion Breakpoint. The downside is that with the new Anniversary requirement on Premium Battle, we run into redundancies with either Anniversary BTB or Squad. The idea I would have is to let Premium Battle go on for a bit longer then delete it a while after Anniversary has come out, so that BTB becomes the destination for big parties that want DLC and Anniversary Squad becomes the big party destination for bigger parties that want to just play the Anniversary maps.

Team Objective: Delete Flag Slayer, require all DLC. Weight achievement-heavy gametypes to the top.

<b>Clarification of what we're voting for</b>

I could spend a whole post on this, but it's undeniable that the Reach playerbase has been split and gametype awareness muddied. Unfortunately 343 has made their bed on this and we're stuck with the situation due to the Anniversary disc being out there. Especially since in Anniversary Squad, you could be using any of the 3 pistols (Bungie 5Sk pistol, 343 4Sk pistol w/ bleedthrough, 3 Shot Magnum with autofire) and with the 5Sk and the 4SK you can be spending the first half of the game figuring out which one you have. I like to think of myself as one of those Halo players that knows the gametypes and even I have to ask myself what I'm using. We need a gametype renaming scheme to clarify what we're using. Since 343 still seems adamant on hooking 85% and bleedthrough together:

Bungie Reach gametypes
Same names as before

343 85% bleedthrough gametypes
"85% Bloom Slayer"
"85% Bloom Flag"
etc

Classic 3-shot Pistol gametypes
M6D Slayer
M6D CTF
M6D Big Team Slayer

Basically any gametype with the 3SK pistol should be marked M6D to signify the weapon. It's a short 3 characters and is a mot more directly and clear than "Anniversary" which means nothing since it's also used in Squad and BTB.

Lone Wolf Team Slayer? What? So just a bunch of randoms?

Basically. For when you don't have anyone online and don't enjoy being matched against three forerunners and a nova who are going to put their stuff inside of you and that random on your team named senoritaazura roughly. Teams are forced to play in teams playlist. Randoms can try their luck at a much more fair randomly matchmade playlist.

Problem I see here is that there should be a Team Slayer for Social too and not just Lone Wolf because it is one of the more popular modes.

Thats on purpose. Its to bring them to play Objective, which is just Slayer Unlimited anyways.

Premium Battle needs to be available to those using the CEA disk (with the DLC of course).

Yea I dont care much for figuring out all the DLC/Anniv stuff. Right now Anniversary has way too many playlists though and TU beta is still up and DLC playlists are still up. Some is integrated into MM some isn't. Its a fucking mess.

wwm0nkey

Well besides our own personal preferences most of us agree that Halo: Reach MM needs a full blown reboot in terms of playlists right?

FyreWulff

Well besides our own personal preferences most of us agree that Halo: Reach MM needs a full blown reboot in terms of playlists right?

It needs a trim. Halo 3 is in need of a reboot.

I for one see no point in bringing back the Ranked / Social split as it just results in playlist duplication and is just a relic of Halo 2 not supporting the ability to block guests or large parties in invisible-rank lists, which Reach can do.

Ranked brings a lot of player satisfaction. When I got my 50 I was fucking shitting myself with happiness.

I haven't had that feeling in Reach once.

It adds a carrot on a stick for bad kids to keep playing too.

FyreWulff

Ranked brings a lot of player satisfaction. When I got my 50 I was fucking shitting myself with happiness.

I haven't had that feeling in Reach once.

It adds a carrot on a stick for bad kids to keep playing too.

1-50 wouldn't work in Reach lke it would in 3. You'd be able to get a 50 in 8 games. 3 had an artificial hill climb put on it's implementation of Trueskill to simulate rank progression in a rating system that has none.

Cue a shitton of people just continually alting until they got lucky to lock their 50, completely defeating the point of Trueskill in the process. There's a reason why Arena makes you play minimum games to show your division, and this is to prevent alt rushing.

1-50 wouldn't work in Reach lke it would in 3. You'd be able to get a 50 in 8 games. 3 had an artificial hill climb put on it's implementation of Trueskill to simulate rank progression in a rating system that has none.

Cue a shitton of people just continually alting until they got lucky to lock their 50, completely defeating the point of Trueskill in the process. There's a reason why Arena makes you play minimum games to show your division, and this is to prevent alt rushing.

Yea I'm sure they can figure it out to not work like that. Hire a few more of those "good" programmers. You know not the lazy fucking Americans who went through a CS degree and expect a job because they have a sheet of paper. The ones who learned a shitload of languages inside and out from books, so they could come live here and support a family, style programmers.

FyreWulff

Yea I'm sure they can figure it out to not work like that. Hire a few more of those "good" programmers. You know not the lazy fucking Americans who went through a CS degree and expect a job because they have a sheet of paper. The ones who learned a shitload of languages inside and out from books, so they could come live here and support a family, style programmers.

Even at that point, Reach locks an absurd amount of playlists into existence with achievements. The future paring down is going to be extremely limited by this.

Halo 3 only needs essentially 4 types of lists: a ranked FFA list that requires no DLC, a ranked team playlist that requires no DLC, and an FFA all-DLC list and a team all-DLC playlist.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea I get why but who the fuck wants to go in a playlist with just randoms? It's just sucking up players from other lists. Halo 3 did a good job of matching you against your party size for the most part. I think you sacrifice potentially long search times and make it match you against people of your party size.

Yea I get why but who the fuck wants to go in a playlist with just randoms? It's just sucking up players from other lists. Halo 3 did a good job of matching you against your party size for the most part. I think you sacrifice potentially long search times and make it match you against people of your party size.

Yes but I think people hate the long wait times? Which is why Bungie did the whole remove tight restrictions stuff...The Ranked side in my hypothetical fixed playlists would have the longer wait times with the better party matching. Social would still be completely loose though so a mercenaries playlist still would serve a purpose.

After two games tonight I was dieing for a playlist that I could go into KNOWING that I wouldn't get matched against a group of four high level players. Its like being on the opposite end of Gym Tan Donging.

Tashi

Yes but I think people hate the long wait times? Which is why Bungie did the whole remove tight restrictions stuff...

After two games tonight I was dieing for a playlist that I could go into KNOWING that I wouldn't get matched against a group of four high level players. Its like being on the opposite end of Gym Tan Donging.
What's worse? Matching a team of 4 or matching with shitty teammates? The latter for sure. And actually, I like the competition of playing against a team of 4. I think the game not matching everyone with similar skill is the real problem.

What's worse? Matching a team of 4 or matching with shitty teammates? The latter for sure. And actually, I like the competition of playing against a team of 4. I think the game not matching everyone with similar skill is the real problem.

No now you're just trolling. You know how a team of four shuts down a good kid and three bad kids so he can't even get anything going even if he is good. Team shot and power weapon control counts too much 1 person can't just RAMBO through a moderately skilled team and you know that.

You;re aware I'm discussing the scenario of matching a team of four going in alone vs matching four randoms going in alone. NOT going in as a team of four and matching a team of four vs going in as a team of four and matching four randoms....RIGHT?

Trasher

No now you're just trolling. You know how a team of four shuts down a good kid and three bad kids so he can't even get anything going even if he is good. Team shot and power weapon control counts too much 1 person can't just RAMBO through a moderately skilled team and you know that.

You;re aware I'm discussing the scenario of matching a team of four going in alone vs matching four randoms going in alone. NOT going in as a team of four and matching a team of four vs going in as a team of four and matching four randoms....RIGHT?
I dunno if he does...lol.

His opinion really doesn't matter here anyways though because he never goes outside of the MLG playlist anyways. He doesn't know the pain we've gone through lol.

Tashi

That's just a double whammy. Going in with 3 bad random teammates against a team of 4 is the worst possible scenario. I think you also need to look at the type of players in each playlist. If you match a team of 4 in MLG, I would say there's a good chance they're an actual team. I seriously doubt that's the case in any other playlist. I get that 4 randoms against a party of 4 sucks but I think you and 3 shitty kids is worse than anything.

Trasher

That's just a double whammy. Going in with 3 bad random teammates against a team of 4 is the worst possible scenario. I think you also need to look at the type of players in each playlist. If you match a team of 4 in MLG, I would say there's a good chance they're an actual team. I seriously doubt that's the case in any other playlist. I get that 4 randoms against a party of 4 sucks but I think you and 3 shitty kids is worse than anything.

wtf are you talking about? He's creating a new playlist. It doesn't matter what types of players are in other playlists.

Tashi

wtf are you talking about? He's creating a new playlist. It doesn't matter what types of players are in other playlists.
They're still from the same player base though. I just think that matchmaking should automatically match you with similar or exact sized parties.

Trasher

They're still from the same player base though. I just think that matchmaking should automatically match you with similar or exact sized parties.

Yeah, but each playlist functions as its own pool of players to draw from...

Yeah, well it doesn't work like that, hence Juices idea to have a playlist that does that for you in a way. The problem with this idea though is that if you take singles out of the equation (for 4v4 playlists), then that also takes out teams of three. It's too much playlist division.

Playlists need to be much more condensed, and sadly that means that a lot of the other playlists that a lot of people enjoy need to be cut. Keep it simple, and let the non-vanilla stuff like Living Dead, Race, Swat, etc be done in custom lobbies with friends (or bring them in as double exp weekends).

Tashi

Yeah, but each playlist functions as its own pool of players to draw from...

Yeah, well it doesn't work like that, hence Juices idea to have a playlist that does that for you in a way. The problem with this idea though is that if you take singles out of the equation (for 4v4 playlists), then that also takes out teams of three. It's too much playlist division.
I know it doesn't, if it did we wouldn't be having this conversation lol. I'm saying that in Halo 3, it happened and it worked pretty well. Let's return to glory. And to be honest, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll probably never touch a playlist outside of MLG again. Maybe here and there when I play with Juices and shit. But that's just because the stock gametypes are awful.

Trasher

And to be honest, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll probably never touch a playlist outside of MLG again. Maybe here and there when I play with Juices and shit. But that's just because the game is awful.

Fixed. To show what the real problem is with the game. =/

Trasher

Fuck that shit. Game is amazing

Easily the worst multiplayer Halo game. Look at the friggin population numbers. Proof is there. Proof is even here on GAF. So many of the ragged old Halo vets that reside here even admit that they can't even bring themselves to play this game anymore. These are people who have logged beyond thousands of games in Halo 2 and 3. Reach bit off more than it could chew with everything it tries to do with the game, and in the end the multiplayer experience became worse for it.

It's funny how you defend the game so much, but in reality you aren't even defending the game. You're defending a small slice of the game that wasn't even designed by the people who made the game. MLG is a completely different beast from regular Reach. It's one friggin playlist. Your world consists entirely of that one playlist. You can hardly be bothered to play the campaign even! Halo is about much more than just existing to have one playlist. The whole game should be good and playable. But for many of us, the fun has been completely ripped out of this game.

Now the question is can 343 actually bring the Halo franchise off of life support? I hope they go back to the basics of Halo, rather than try to improve something that already worked well, which is exactly what Reach tried to do. And it failed miserably in that respect.

Tashi

Easily the worst multiplayer Halo game. Look at the friggin population numbers. Proof is there. Proof is even here on GAF. So many of the ragged old Halo vets that reside here even admit that they can't even bring themselves to play this game anymore. These are people who have logged beyond thousands of games in Halo 2 and 3. Reach bit off more than it could chew with everything it tries to do with the game, and in the end the multiplayer experience became worse for it.

It's funny how you defend the game so much, but in reality you aren't even defending the game. You're defending a small slice of the game that wasn't even designed by the people who made the game. MLG is a completely different beast from regular Reach. It's one friggin playlist. Your world consists entirely of that one playlist. You can hardly be bothered to play the campaign even! Halo is about much more than just existing to have one playlist. The whole game should be good and playable. But for many of us, the fun has been completely ripped out of this game.

Now the question is can 343 actually bring the Halo franchise off of life support? I hope they go back to the basics of Halo, rather than try to improve something that already worked well, which is exactly what Reach tried to do. And it failed miserably in that respect.
Stock Halo has always been shitty though, excluding Halo 1 because I only played FFA with my friends lol. I found my niche though, what I love to play. You can't knock me for that. The puzzle pieces are there but they just weren't put together correctly. At then end of the day, I'm still playing Halo Reach.

wwm0nkey

Stock Halo has always been shitty though, excluding Halo 1 because I only played FFA with my friends lol. I found my niche though, what I love to play. You can't knock me for that. The puzzle pieces are there but they just weren't put together correctly. At then end of the day, I'm still playing Halo Reach.

Wrong and Reach has easily been the worse of the default Halo experiences which is the core of the game still.

Tashi

Wrong and Reach has easily been the worse of the default Halo experiences which is the core of the game still.
This just goes back to my opinion of the core game mechanics which no one here shares with me. I enjoy bloom. In my opinion the core gameplay has never been a big issue for me. Besides maybe excruciatingly slow run speed in Halo 3 lol. It's usually the settings around it I dislike. Too many power weapons, shitty power weapons, shitty maps, dual wielding, no dmr/br starts and the list goes on.

This just goes back to my opinion of the core game mechanics which no one here shares with me. I enjoy bloom. In my opinion the core gameplay has never been a big issue for me. Besides maybe excruciatingly slow run speed in Halo 3 lol. It's usually the settings around it I dislike. Too many power weapons, shitty power weapons, shitty maps, dual wielding, no dmr/br starts and the list goes on.

I'll back you up, people on this forum are far more critical to certain aspects of reach and they have their reasons for doing so.

I don't think the power weapons are shitty but there are far too many on a given map, I'd be happy with just one placed somewhere in the middle.

my biggest gripe was the maps and this to an certain extent has been solved, all reach need imo is as juices makes adamant, proper playlist control. I am as puzzled as everyone how and why certain decisions are allowed to be put in place.

Yeah, no one understood what the fuck was happening with the Arbiter in Halo2. I had to play it twice just to get past the mangled storyline. If anything it just confused the shit out of the story line for casual gamers. I honestly did not even finish the Halo2 campaign or care about it until Halo3 came out. Then I went back and played the campaign and hated it even more.
Casual gamers don't care about the story. The just want to shoot aliens.
Been since before h3 that I played it last, once my tv is broken in, I'll play it again ;)
I'll be playing Halo 2 and 3 again now with Anniversary's release.

monome

Is Reach MP a not so good offering or is it COD that's killing all other MP games?

that said I wish 343i does trim Reach playlists if only to reduce the wait between games and make playlists choices easier although I love all styles, be it solo, team, big team, invasion and firefight (no story co-op with strangers though).

I wish 343i goes its own way with Halo4. Bungie has done a good job but to each is own. I also wish Halo 4 brings maps/weapons/gameplay that compliment each other and be not a product too self-aware and willing to fight the concurrence by turning its weapons against itself (no perks, no blitzkrieg encounters) but lives to its own name : crazy weapons to cater your warfare style but not a ton, fun and remarkable skins for players and worthy maps [heavily tweeked maps from memorable encounters in the game + others should be custom made, guns raging maps])

monome

As nice as some of Juices's suggestions are, whatever processes, structures and resources are in place make it seem like an impossibility.

Can't A Certain Affinity produce one more maps pack (2 maps + title update + maybe a new armor set derived from Halo 4 to get Fans blood boiling in anticipation) for like a 800 space points to get the Reach playerbase away from other games.

MW3 is gonna get a shit ton of new maps up until Black Ops 2(?) and Halo 4 get into the market.

feel

A mercenary team slayer playlist?? Eh.. not bad, I care less and less about Reach but I'd like that for the (hopefully) good gameplay of Halo 4. I jump into MM alone frequently and I get awful randoms in my team all the time that will quit at the first sign of trouble, so it would be nice to not match against coordinated teams of good players.

monome

I don't see that said often maybe 'cause its so obvious but COD4 and Halo 3 had outstanding but rather close populations during their first year and ever since things have gone south for Halo.

I think Halo's problem has much to do with COD, as it has become the de-facto FPS franchise on next-gen.

343i would be wise to produce a high value game with a strong but limited MP and an outstanding SP.
MP playlists and gametypes for Halo 4 if the population sticks to the game, just as map packs can be used to pay for title updates.

Whatever they do Halo4 MP won't get as many players as COD, they should act accordingly, I think it's one of the mistakes made with Reach.

How to fix Reach MM.

Overview

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist.

1. MLG – Arena Ranked
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective

1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit
3. Living Dead
Really not sure why you haven't been hired yet. I hope someone will at least rip off your ideas, because they're incredibly reasonable and well thought out.

All of your rage against Tashi aside, I'd love to know what you consider to be 'classic' Halo.

Top Bottom