• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

I'm having a hard time arguing with most of the things you've said in this post, its pretty much the truth.

However I don't understand all of the hatred, Halo gets so much love from 343, and it did from Bungie, and they do an amazing job in keeping touch with the fans and updating and fixing the damn games.

I think a lot of Halo GAF should realize that you can't just flip a switch and something changes overnight...

Yeah, too true. There has been so much interaction between Bungie/343 and the fans. Look at the communities that have been fostered and continue to prosper. Look at this thread where Frankie comes in to belittle us every now and then.

I just take the changes I do get and am grateful for them. To expect more would be foolish. Halo: Reach has been handled with as much, if not more love/support, as every previous Halo title. I think the hate is just a culmination of the disappointment at the current state of the game.

Edit: Yeah, I don't get the hate for Team Snipers on Breackneck/Headlong at all. It's easily one of the better maps for it in terms of vantage points and cover.

Havok

I think a lot of Halo GAF should realize that you can't just flip a switch and something changes overnight...
I hope nobody is expecting things to happen overnight, but there is a difference between overnight and nine months of having a playlist-breaking armor ability in there. This seems whiny. I get that. But I just don't feel that a monthly update is fast enough to respond to the issues that pop up, especially when only a fraction of the existing issues are addressed each month. It's not about entitlement (at least I hope its not), it's about wanting the game to be as great as I know it could be with some work.
I like anniversary team snipers... if you don't like it, don't vote for it.
I don't have a problem with it existing, but I think it would fit better within the dedicated Snipers playlist as a first-vote-screen-filling option rather than mixed in with the rest, which is what has complained about with every Halo release.

Yeah, too true. There has been so much interaction between Bungie/343 and the fans. Look at the communities that have been fostered and continue to prosper. Look at this thread where Frankie comes in to belittle us every now and then.

I just take the changes I do get and am grateful for them. To expect more would be foolish. Halo: Reach has been handled with as much, if not more love/support, as every previous Halo title. I think the hate is just a culmination of the disappointment at the current state of the game.

I mean we get a weekly Halo Bulletin for Christ sake, we got beta hoppers to test out the new changes...

Kuroyume

Banned
343 has done some good things. Seriously, who expected them to release a TU to address the bloom complaints? Or the release of the map pack on the same day that Anniversary was released? I expect some good things from them but when you have people complaining about evade for over a year and they haven't done anything about it that makes you question if they really can bring Halo back to its former glory. And, it's not just evade. It's a ton of other stuff too. It makes you wonder how they figure out what complaints are worth listening to and which are not.

Can you think of any other console game that gets a weekly update, fan interaction, monthly playlist changes etc

I'm not being a smartass, I just can't think of any other game with support like halo gets.

One of the nicest things I hear from non-halo players, is the appreciation they feel towards the support halo recieves, some of them are not used it.

I'm having a hard time arguing with most of the things you've said in this post, its pretty much the truth.

However I don't understand all of the hatred, Halo gets so much love from 343, and it did from Bungie, and they do an amazing job in keeping touch with the fans and updating and fixing the damn games.

Honestly, the Halo series has significantly better community support than 90% of AAA Console games. I agree that the playlist management is not without it's problems, but at least there has been some changes in Reach since its launch, which is a lot more than most games can say.

kylej

Banned
Woah, easy there buddy.

char_13496.jpg

Boy, I say, boy! Now please, when, I say, when did I ever say I was insulted? Heck, when did I ever even say that Frankie or Ellis were insulted? Go on, point it out. I most certainly said that what you there said was insultin', but there is a darn big difference between the two.
Now, it's all too easy these days to white knight this and white knight that. Some would say what I there said was white knightin', just like some could easily say your undying affection for juice's and his ideals is white knightin' of sorts, but that ain't me.
You just take Halo too seriously, that's all. It's ok, it's happened us all at some point or another. You're annoyed and bothered that the game you love isn't what it could be. You see logical improvements that can be made by people you admire and you take it to a personal level when those suggestions are ignored. Is that a hint that you're perhaps taking this a bit too seriously? Come on now, think about it.

Holy shit this is one terrible post.

What about:

Default - Armor Abilities are pickups on map (so go pick up a limited-fuel jetpack) which basically turns them into Equipment
Invasion - Armor Abilities are available upon spawn (depending on which loadout you pick) but still have limited fuel
Action Sack - Armor Abilities at spawn with unlimited use (Dino Blasters, etc.)

So for the default gametypes the abundance (or scarcity) of AAs is dependent on the map's placement of them. If jetpack breaks a map, don't place it in Forge. This means the default movement speed/acceleration/etc. has to be tuned with the assumption that people won't always have the option of picking sprint. So the more hardcore/pro playlists can remove Equipment/AAs from the maps and still play just fine.

(Sorry if I've said this before, I just enjoy the continuing discussion.)

I guess we will get something similar to this since I don't see 343 killing Invasion for Halo 4.

I'm ok with this aslong as we can have both, they already did something similar by adding the Anniversary playlists.

343 has done some good things. Seriously, who expected them to release a TU to address the bloom complaints? Or the release of the map pack on the same day that Anniversary was released? I expect some good things from them but when you have people complaining about evade for over a year and they haven't done anything about it that makes you question if they really can bring Halo back to its former glory. And, it's not just evade. It's a ton of other stuff too. It makes you wonder how they figure out what complaints are worth listening to and which are not.

They've already done more fore Reach than Bungie and it's not even their game. They care and I have big hopes on the team they've built.

I think the point is that evade is not a bug nor a glitch, it's a feature of the game and there's people who like it. Bloom is a whole different story since they needed it to be gone for the classic/anniversary playlists.

I mean we get a weekly Halo Bulletin for Christ sake, we got beta hoppers to test out the new changes...
It's a competitive market, the game has been out for over a year now, never mind that there is years of experience/data there.

There's a problem somewhere.

Almost every multiplayer game has significant flaws. That's not a defence of 343 or Bungie or Halo Reach, it's just a reality.

My time with Reach since Anniversary has been quite limited, so personally I've had fun most of the time. Haven't played enough of Anniversary Multi to properly judge it.
Alarming spawning issues on Prisoner & Timberland aside. And that motherfucking banshee. But I've been saying that for months to no avail.

Don't suppose we could back off the personal abuse?

Sai-kun

Banned
It's a competitive market, the game has been out for over a year now, never mind that there is years of experience/data there.

There's a problem somewhere.

Almost every multiplayer game has significant flaws. That's not a defence of 343 or Bungie or Halo Reach, it's just a reality.

My time with Reach since Anniversary has been quite limited, so personally I've had fun most of the time. Haven't played enough of Anniversary Multi to properly judge it.
Alarming spawning issues on Prisoner & Timberland aside. And that motherfucking banshee. But I've been saying that for months to no avail.

Don't suppose we could back off the personal abuse?

Don't forget about Headlong/Breakneck

Don't forget about Headlong/Breakneck
Haven't played enough on it to see the spawn issues. After seeing the issues on Prisoner & Timberland in the first matches I had on them, I would not be surprised.

Edit: If you mean the banshee, then that's what I was referring to about on Headlong.

Kujo

I love Headlong, but the OP Banshee dampens my enjoyment when I have a bad team.

And the spawn points on Prisoner are terrible. In Headhunter I had the 10 skulls and was running to the capture point and a guy spawns right behinds me, does a beat down and picks up all the skulls and wins the game. Almost threw my controller :|

FyreWulff

Shouldn't matter, just because I've paid for the game doesn't mean that the dev should stop supporting it.

edit: map packs do not equal support FWIW

I still want to see 343 ship an actual new Megalo gametype, and not just one that calls a new TU1.1 hook for weapon changes. The last new one we got was 3 Flag from Bungie in June. We're almost to the 6 month mark with no new Megalo gametypes. I don't know, maybe they're Just Getting Started™ on that too?

heckfu

Banned
I love Headlong, but the OP Banshee dampens my enjoyment when I have a bad team.

And the spawn points on Prisoner are terrible. In Headhunter I had the 10 skulls and was running to the capture point and a guy spawns right behinds me, does a beat down and picks up all the skulls and wins the game. Almost threw my controller :|

Blerg, and the gauss hog on breakneck is so angry. Needs so much blood to satisfy its thirst, naw mean?

Retro

What about:

Default - Armor Abilities are pickups on map (so go pick up a limited-fuel jetpack) which basically turns them into Equipment
Invasion - Armor Abilities are available upon spawn (depending on which loadout you pick) but still have limited fuel
Action Sack - Armor Abilities at spawn with unlimited use (Dino Blasters, etc.)

I still think the idea of AA-like effects being tied to specific weapons would be the ideal setup (if they must be included at all). In that way, you could limit their use in cheap situations (if the Sniper Rifle's AA isn't Camo, they can't sit in camo and snipe, can they?) and create a wide variety of utility weapons.

I've mentioned before giving the Sniper Rifle a 'callout' feature for scouting, the sword a forward-only evade (sort of like Sprint but forced duration), and a stealthy Silenced-SMG active camo.

And for the purists (and I don't say that as a bad thing), there can be something like "Standard Issue", which is just the same weapons without the frills. So if the Pistol has an AA with, say, a silencer on it, the SI Pistol wouldn't.

Do you have more invasion gametypes for other maps. i wouldnt mind a night of invasion customs if people fancy it.

I have two map variants, both have their layout pretty much finished. I already tried Highlands' earlier version with GAF but it would be cool to gather some feedback from HaloGAFers :)

Invasion: Ridgline

reach_24947607_Full.jpg

Map link: Ridgeline
Specific gametype: Invasion: Ridgeline

General layout
Map link: Phase 1 objectives
Bomb spawn location
Phase 2 objectives
Forerunner door close up
Forerunner balcony close up
Power Core spawn location
Phase 3 objective
Action shots
Assasination
Arming it
Burnt face
Blown up 1
Blown up 2

Invasio: Highlands

reach_23763639_Full.jpg

Map link: Highlands
Specific gametype: Invasion: Highlands

Video
Invasion: Highlands (16:28)
Screenshots
Photobucket album (15 items + 3 new ones 10.7.2011)

Iv got a few ideas in store for other maps i could forge, are the spawns difficult to set up?

How did you make the door for headlong fyrewulff.

All the stuff so far looks great, ill find out when people are free and set something up.

With the last two games as precedent, it seems as if they're going to make walk speed very slow whether sprint is in or not (I would love if this wasn't the case going forward). Given a choice between Halo 3's mandatory turtle speed or Reach's optional turtle speed, I'll take the easy way out with sprint any day.
Halo 4 and onward is a brand new trilogy with a brand new developer at the helm. I wouldn't expect 343 to hold to any precedent as you've described (slower movements speeds between games) that would make them hesitant to make changes or reverse course. And, in truth, the base speed went like this: Halo 3 -> ODST, slower -> Reach, faster.

Halo 4 and onward is a brand new trilogy with a brand new developer at the helm. I wouldn't expect 343 to hold to any precedent as you've described (slower movements speeds between games) that would make them hesitant to make changes or reverse course. And, in truth, the base speed went like this: Halo 3 -> ODST, slower -> Reach, faster.
Why is ODST slower? I don't think that Havok is talking about the singleplayer. So ODST doesn't really count. Halo 3 faster -> Reach slower.

Damn was hoping it was some object i over looked that i could use on other maps. I think i could get some good invasion paths going on boardwalk, another hang em high route ect

Ill have a play around later see what i can come up with

I'll have to see how dark you can make Ridgeline now, because a predator game type would be boss :D

I'll have to see how dark you can make Ridgeline now, because a predator game type would be boss :D

Dream again, juggernaut is broken and 343i dont seem to care.

Plasma Launcher + Sword + Camo AA would make for an awesome gametype but sadly Jug is borked and has to spawn with hammer and always fire trail.

Ill take time later to update this with Anniversary playlist and maps integrated. Start here though.

How to fix Reach MM.

Overview

Step 1. Remove every playlist.

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist.

Competitive – No guests, Tight restrictions. Parties allowed.
1. MLG – Arena Ranked
2. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective

Lone Wolf – No parties, No guests
1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit
3. Living Dead
Can we just have this quoted on every page until Reach gets fixed?

Trasher

All of your rage against Tashi aside, I'd love to know what you consider to be 'classic' Halo.

I have zero interest in telling someone, who thinks I'm raging at a friend of mine, what I believe classic Halo is. Your schtick of jabbing people like this is getting really really old, dude.

It's not perfect but it's better than what he have now by a long shot.

Id prefer

Step 1. Remove every playlist.

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist. (1 week living dead, 1 week griffball, 2 weeks mixed)

Competitive – No guests, Tight restrictions. Parties allowed.
1. MLG – Arena Ranked
2. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective
3. Social Slayer
4. Action Sack (team slayer + objective games with unusual settings, fiesta, dino blasters ect)

Lone Wolf – No parties, No guests
1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit

I have zero interest in telling someone, who thinks I'm raging at a friend of mine, what I believe classic Halo is. Your schtick of jabbing people like this is getting really really old, dude.

Haha ok, seriously you guys are relentless.

You have some idea as to what classic Halo is. Halo has changed considerably in every title. I wanted to know how you can define what classic Halo because you claim Reach is trying too hard to be different. The thing is, however, is that they've all been different. I was genuinely curious to know.

Top Bottom