• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tawpgun

Had an awesome idea today for PAX East - I want to plan a Halo Community meetup for lunch or dinner.

Call it HaloFeast.

1286248403290.gif

My stomach is ready.

Striker

So, in order to visualize the issues people have been seeing with the consistency of the pistol, I made a clip (it's a little long, just wanted to illustrate the point). First round of firing is squeezing the trigger and letting go between shots, second is holding the trigger down, third is back to squeezing. If I've understood everything that 343 has said, bloom should only be apparent in the second burst of shots. But it's there on all three, becoming almost indistinguishable.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=25151289&player=Havok CXVII

0:00 to 0:25 - Pulsing trigger
0:26 to 0:37 - Holding trigger down
0:28 to 0:50 - Pulsing trigger

This is all on the Anniversary Team Slayer gametype, which I was under the impression had a no-bloom-when-pulsing pistol. Am I missing something, or not using this thing right?
Y1vb9.gif

Striker

It's still better than 100% bloom or being forced to lead your shots ala bullet travel time, but I guess this is our best choice outside having full zero bloom (which with 3x DMR it is painful).

Put a Battle Rifle in Halo 4 that has hitscan and 2x, plz.

I'm way more accepting of leading, even if inconsistent, than bloom of any kind. Though that's mostly because of all the Halo PC I played. Compared to that, Halo 3 is a dream.

I would just prefer 4 shot pops shield 5th shot kills DMR with ZERO bloom. Not a fan of pistols being stronger than the DMR, makes no fucking sense, pistols are weaker guns. Also not a fan of that bleedthrough it just doesn't work with the way Reach was made. The pistol should be a backup gun used when out of ammo of the main weapon. It should also pop out quicker so people use it correctly instead of reloading during a fight. Whats with every weapon taking almost exactly the same amout of time to switch to?

To top it off isnt it a 3 beatdown kill in Anniversary? Really THREE beatdowns? the fucking time it takes to do that you can put much more massive damage into someone. Throws melee balance way off.

I would just prefer 4 shot pops shield 5th shot kills DMR with ZERO bloom. Not a fan of pistols being stronger than the DMR, makes no fucking sense, pistols are weaker guns. Also not a fan of that bleedthrough it just doesn't work with the way Reach was made. The pistol should be a backup gun used when out of ammo of the main weapon. It should also pop out quicker so people use it correctly instead of reloading during a fight. Whats with every weapon taking almost exactly the same amout of time to switch to?

Id be fine with this aswell, for reach.

A pistol should not be a 3sk when a rifle is a 5sk.

Havok

I would just prefer 4 shot pops shield 5th shot kills DMR with ZERO bloom.
Works well for 4v4, nightmarish in 8v8. Unfortunately the DMR's crazy range and scope power make it difficult to balance across the board. The 85% version they have in Anniversary BTB is a pretty good balance, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, one of the podcasts, major nelsons i think frankie said he was str8 rippin with a unannouced weapon in halo 4 play tests and its also further along that he expected.
I bet it's the new headshot-enabled AR.
please god no

FyreWulff

And in "what have we come to" news, Nintendo beats Microsoft to clan/community support in a game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453793

Mario Kart 7 supports "Communities" which are like Steam Groups. You can create a Community, and just share that Community Code with friends instead of a Friend Code, and everyone who joins the Community can automatically see and play with the other players in the group without sharing Friend Codes.

To top it off isnt it a 3 beatdown kill in Anniversary? Really THREE beatdowns? the fucking time it takes to do that you can put much more massive damage into someone. Throws melee balance way off.

What's with every weapon taking fucking forever to switch too? Just another thing they do to slow down the game for some reason.

I fucking love three beatdowns to kill. It's the magic sweet spot that makes players stop bum rushing fools for melee's, and somehow have an advantage by doing so.

stephen08

That doesn't sound like much progress. What's the difference between doing that and using dummy tag other than the fact that its streamlined in to the game (obviously, thats much more convenient).

The fact that you cannot adjust items on an item by item basis means Nintendo still isn't even close to touching the kind of community support Halo has generated from it's customization options. Short of opening up the tools for content creation as seen in PC games I'm not sure I can think of another title that allows people to play the game the way they want to play it.

Prisoner is the worst, THE WORST map, I have ever played in an FPS.

And I played on fan-made Quake maps that didn't even bother to put collision detection on the goddamn walls.

FyreWulff

That doesn't sound like much progress. What's the difference between doing that and using dummy tag other than the fact that its streamlined in to the game (obviously, thats much more convenient).

The fact that you cannot adjust items on an item by item basis means Nintendo still isn't even close to touching the kind of community support Halo has generated from it's customization options. Short of opening up the tools for content creation as seen in PC games I'm not sure I can think of another title that allows people to play the game the way they want to play it.

Dummy Tag Limit: 99 other people and someone has to actively manage the account by signing into it

Nintendo Online Communities: 100,000 other people

FyreWulff

Prisoner isn't a good map, but you must've missed Smashed from Halo 3 Ranked Team Slayer.

It's one of the poor maps in the Halo series, though. Just only good for things like Rocketball in CE settings.

Wish they would just bring back Terminal already. I know they explained why it didn't come back at Halofest, but damnit, if any map deserves to come back it's that one.

But no, we get Prisoner instead, which is pretty much

51SV2C06M5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Striker

As long as there's no short-cut abilities, like a jetpack, in Halo 4 a map like Terminal will be great.

Great maps like Terminal, Headlong, Zanzibar, etc. don't need items like bubble shields, jetpacks, or active-camo (unless it is a pick up item) damaging the gameplay. Hopefully they return to the straight pick up power ups only, perhaps adding a few. Small maps don't need more than two max, just like a large map doesn't need more than three. They should be considered power weapons like a rocket launcher was in Coagulation.

FyreWulff

There was that spawn in the attic which you couldn't get back to once you were down.

Grenade jump on host, jump off a teammate off-host. they could just scale it up above jetpack's reach if they really wanted that spawn room again, or use one-way shields. Had a team where we could do this reliably and rushed the bomb through their spawn attic, up and over all of them sitting in the two hallways :p

Jetpack would be about as useful on Terminal as it is on Hemorrhage.
I can think of several areas in Terminal where a jetpack would be useful. You're comparing a flat map to a map with areas that are multi-leveled.

• Getting on the train tracks
  • Getting from the open area to the road that crosses the train tracks
  • Starting base for attackers has 2 levels
  • Parking garage has 2 levels
  • Defending base has that odd spawn area above that no one can get to.
  • The walkway from the road to the defending base, that has a tunnel beneath it, and a platform above it.

Striker

Jetpack would be about as useful on Terminal as it is on Hemorrhage.
If Hemorrhage's design was more Coagulation or Blood Gulch and less, well, not like those two at all I wouldn't mind. The sea side and the closed section each had their spots to where jetpackers can get when no one else that did not have a jetpack could not. In Coagulation you could get in any space on the map by boosting with a Ghost on the wall.

It would derail Terminal, speaking about the jetpack, as much as it does to Headlong. When a guy can jump from red base rocket launcher to the old brute shot area platform because he has a jetpack there is something wrong, and it isn't something I want to play.

FyreWulff

[*]Getting on the train tracks

There's a crate right on the bridge under the tracks that I was sure was intentional for letting you get up to them. If it wasn't, you can grenade jump to them, or just jump on them from offense base or the garage

[*]Getting from the open area to the road that crosses the train tracks

I'll give you this one, although you'd be better off taking the covered route and the dirthpath up to the road from the open area

[*]Starting base for attackers has 2 levels

Of which you can get to by jumping from the garage -> tracks -> offense, or cover with snipe from the station

[*]Parking garage has 2 levels

Road->Box->Tracks->2F Garage

[*]Defending base has that odd spawn area above that no one can get to.

Could get into it fairly easy in Halo 2 anyway

[*]The walkway from the road to the defending base, that has a tunnel beneath it.
[/LIST]

That one is a bit iffy on if jetpack is a real help or not. I generally escaped by crouch jumping up into the garage walkway (leaving my chasers perplexed as they tried to go under the tracks to follow me and wondered where I went) if I was running away with the flag and wouldn't be able to use the jetpack anyway.

This also assumes the map would be brought back as-is or if the main MM version would be a Certain Affinity'd version with new tunnels/paths/etc with original Terminal as a classic version via Forge objects.

One path that didn't exist in the H2 version opening up via jetpack isn't worth me choosing it over the Extremely Overpowered And Unpatched Evade

Also Live is screwed up. Damnit.

Terminal's not possible because the train couldn't adapt to armour lock.

Sometimes I feel they avoid it because maybe the train wouldn't play well with Forge objects.

Top Bottom