• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fronk?

Also, Frankie is back doing Halo stuff? I thought he quit and then changed his GAF name to hide out.

edit: OVER 9,000!

Tawpgun

GODDOMOTFRONK.jpg

Someone shoop Frankie's face like this plz.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm playing Halo 4 right now, too. It's called playing Halo 3 backwards (start from the Legendary ending and work your way towards Sierra 117). :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm pretty pumped for this MLG playlist update man. Partly because I just wanna play the updated version of MLG in matchmaking and also partly because I know this change is what the vast majority of the community wanted. Because of that, I expect the numbers in the playlist to go up and I also expect the competition to be great. I'll bring my A game. Gonna be a lot of fun.

All Chief wanted to do was to scare the the Covenant back on to their drop ships and make them fly far, far away. Then, and only then, can Chief finally get some much needed cryo sleep... after scaring all the damage off of the Pillar of Autumn that is.

feel

I'm pretty pumped for this MLG playlist update man. Partly because I just wanna play the updated version of MLG in matchmaking and also partly because I know this change is what the vast majority of the community wanted. Because of that, I expect the numbers in the playlist to go up and I also expect the competition to be great. I'll bring my A game. Gonna be a lot of fun.

Are they removing sprint (+ upping the base speed) and bloom completely by any chance? I'm already bored with the bloom, very low map count and super fast kills on the CLassic playlist.

Karl2177

CEA moment: I hate the fucking Marines. I was playing T&R at the point after you rescue Keyes. I'm going through the halls and one Marine decides that he's going to fire at everything with a Covenant weapon. He starts off by shooting the Covies we're fighting. He then turns towards another Marine and fires 3 shots and kills him. I look at him and he looks at me, he then turns towards Keyes and shoots him too. It goes back to last checkpoint. Same fucking thing. Now I'm just thinking this guy is an asshole as I restart at the checkpoint again. I immediately turn and kill one of the Marines, and voila it stops happening.

Is Frank and Ellis's easter egg still unknown?

Tashi

Are they removing sprint (+ upping the base speed) and bloom completely by any chance? I'm already bored with the bloom, very low map count and super fast kills on the CLassic playlist.

So, when you go into matchmaking and are presented with the 3 gametypes to choose from, the first 2 will be Zero Bloom WITH Sprint and the 3rd will be Zero Bloom WITHOUT Sprint. I imagine that in the coming months we'll see Anniversary implementation. If I had to guess which maps it would be Beaver Creek and Hang em High. Slayer for both, CTF for Beaver. That's just a guess.

feel

So, when you go into matchmaking and are presented with the 3 gametypes to choose from, the first 2 will be Zero Bloom WITH Sprint and the 3rd will be Zero Bloom WITHOUT Sprint. I imagine that in the coming months we'll see Anniversary implementation. If I had to guess which maps it would be Beaver Creek and Hang em High. Slayer for both, CTF for Beaver. That's just a guess.

Sounds good.

It's the other way around. Slot 1 and 2 have no sprint, while slot 3 does.

http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/256173-december-1st-mlg-playlist-update/

It's the other way around. Slot 1 and 2 have no sprint, while slot 3 does.

http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/256173-december-1st-mlg-playlist-update/

Yeah, was just about to post this.

They are playing to implement CEA maps in the future. With two slots of no sprint (and hopefully they abandon it entirely in the future, and CEA maps, I'll probably start playing some MLG playlist. (Probably not much until CEA maps though)

Looking forward to seeing what other playlist changes we have coming tomorrow as well.

It actually is the other way around? Fuck.

Apparently people are scared of Halo going away from MLG...

http://www.twitch.tv/gandhimlg

Here's a chat going on right. Real interesting stuff.

Their fears aren't unfounded. Reach's numbers are becoming embarrassing, and mlg seems unwatchable sometimes with the amount of forgeworld maps they use (not their fault). Starcraft gets all the primary care at mlg now too. Where the fuck was Puckett the last two events?

Also, as a side note, I almost never visit the mlg website since their webpage 'revamp'; I used to frequent it daily. Cyren, you're a mod over there, get them to change it back!

Blinding

It actually is the other way around? Fuck.

Apparently people are scared of Halo going away from MLG...

http://www.twitch.tv/gandhimlg

Here's a chat going on right. Real interesting stuff.

Yup. I only caught the tail end but the vibe of it seemed to be focused on the overall attitude of the community and the lack of feedback from the pros, and I do feel that if those two things change then Reach has a better chance of staying on next season then it currently does. They were also talking about bringing back the FFA tournaments like they had when Halo 2 was going on, which (assuming nothing about the format would be changed) would prevent people getting bracket fucked since they'd have the ability to play for their seed.

I'm just glad to see people that are known in the community trying to get shit done.

thee henery, Puckett got a promotion to Producer, so he's not doing commentating anymore.

Tashi

Their fears aren't unfounded. Reach's numbers are becoming embarrassing, and mlg seems unwatchable sometimes with the amount of forgeworld maps they use (not their fault). Starcraft gets all the primary care at mlg now too. Where the fuck was Puckett the last two events?

Also, as a side note, I almost never visit the mlg website since their webpage 'revamp'; I used to frequent it daily. Cyren, you're a mod over there, get them to change it back!

No I realize MLG Halo isn't as popular as it was and you gotta go to the source and see that Halo Reach sold an embarrassingly low number of units. With the increased install base of the 360, we should have a much larger number. What was that thread here on GAF, NPD numbers from 2010 to now. Halo Reach has just over 4 million copies sold. That should be day 1 sales. You can spread the blame pie every where. I'm not an idiot and I know that even though I adore Reach, I know a lot of people do not. So you can say the beta turned a lot of people off, you can say the 3 year wait did more harm than good, you can say the rise of CoD took players away, you can say Halo not having a number at the end of the title did that. You can fuckin say it was weak marketing. It's a combination of all those things and more. When Halo isn't a powerful brand, of course MLG Halo is going to suffer as well. I do think though that the MLG community can do SOOOO much to come together and do some good.

As for Puckett, I believe he got promoted so that's why we haven't seen him. He's a producer now or some shit.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but I really hope 343 can knock this shit out of the park.

No I realize MLG Halo isn't as popular as it was and you gotta go to the source and see that Halo Reach sold an embarrassingly low number of units. With the increased install base of the 360, we should have a much larger number. What was that thread here on GAF, NPD numbers from 2010 to now. Halo Reach has just over 4 million copies sold. That should be day 1 sales. You can spread the blame pie every where. I'm not an idiot and I know that even though I adore Reach, I know a lot of people do not. So you can say the beta turned a lot of people off, you can say the 3 year wait did more harm than good, you can say the rise of CoD took players away, you can say Halo not having a number at the end of the title did that. You can fuckin say it was weak marketing. It's a combination of all those things and more. When Halo isn't a powerful brand, of course MLG Halo is going to suffer as well. I do think though that the MLG community can do SOOOO much to come together and do some good.

As for Puckett, I believe he got promoted so that's why we haven't seen him. He's a producer now or some shit.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but I really hope 343 can knock this shit out of the park.

How did Halo 1, 2 and 3 pro's deal with Reach by the way? I just assumed they would have all sucked it up and played it even if they hated it, simply because to them its they're livelyhood. I know for a lot of the people like me who loved Halo competitively but in a more general environment (like playing matchmaking) who didnt enjoy Reach as much found it easy enough to just stop playing seriously. But how did the pro's react? Im guessing some of them probably love Reach, but has the number of pro's dropped? It sucks that Halo isnt MLG's poster boy anymore.

Tashi

How did Halo 1, 2 and 3 pro's deal with Reach by the way? I just assumed they would have all sucked it up and played it even if they hated it, simply because to them its they re livelyhood. I know a lot of the guys who loved Halo competitively but in a more general environment (like playing matchmaking) didnt enjoy Reach as much, and for people like me it was easy enough to just stop playing seriously. But how did the pro's react? Im guessing some of them probably love Reach, but has the number of pro's dropped? It sucks that Halo isnt MLG's poster boy anymore.

It's tough to say. It's not like Pro Gaming, for Halo at least, can sustain a person's life just by playing MLG. For some it has, for most it hasn't. Throughout the years and different Halo games, lots of players have dropped off and some have stayed. It happens all the time. It's hard to say that certain games made players quit or stop playing. I'm sure the numbers are split just like the non competitive community is split.

Blinding

How did Halo 1, 2 and 3 pro's deal with Reach by the way? I just assumed they would have all sucked it up and played it even if they hated it, simply because to them its they're livelyhood. I know for a lot of the people like me who loved Halo competitively but in a more general environment (like playing matchmaking) who didnt enjoy Reach as much found it easy enough to just stop playing seriously. But how did the pro's react? Im guessing some of them probably love Reach, but has the number of pro's dropped? It sucks that Halo isnt MLG's poster boy anymore.

There's no definite answer to this question that somebody who doesn't directly interact with all of the pros, both former and current, can provide, but there are a few (all of Instinct for example,) that have stated they liked Reach as is, where as the majority presumably didn't just from the pro poll results leading up to the first event.

Tashi

Can someone post a reliable numbers for say halo 3, Halo reach and black ops?

Month 1 sales according to NPD:

Halo 3 - Sept 2007 - 3.3 Million - October 2007 - ~430k Number 1
Halo Reach - Sept 2010 - 3.3 Million - October 2010 - ~315k Number 6
Black Ops - November 2010 - 8.4 million (4.9 on 360)

Top Selling titles from Jan 2010 - Sept 2011 according to NPD:

Black Ops - 14.9 million
Halo Reach - 4.7 Million

Month 1 sales according to NPD:

Halo 3 - Sept 2007 - 3.3 Million - October 2007 - ~430k Number 1
Halo Reach - Sept 2010 - 3.3 Million - October 2010 - ~315k Number 6
Black Ops - November 2010 - 8.4 million (4.9 on 360)

Top Selling titles from Jan 2010 - Sept 2011 according to NPD:

Black Ops - 14.9 million
Halo Reach - 4.7 Million

ODST and Halo Wars probably didnt help, I personally loved both, but I can see why a lot of casuals would have felt let down and then just plumped theyre cash on CoD. Im not sure where your getting your numbers from but just out of curiousity, was it a steady decline from Halo 3 > ODST > Halo Wars? I Really doubt Halo Wars sold anywhere near as well as the others, despite being pretty good.

Tashi

ODST and Halo Wars probably didnt help, I personally loved both, but I can see why a lot of casuals would have felt let down and then just plumped theyre cash on CoD. Im not sure where your getting your numbers from but just out of curiousity, was it a steady decline from Halo 3 > ODST > Halo Wars? I Really doubt Halo Wars sold anywhere near as well as the others, despite being pretty good.

ODST did 1.5 million in the first month. And 271k the next month

Halo Wars did 639k first month. Less than 90k in month 2.

And yea, we all loved ODST, games awesome and Midship is king.

We should be getting December playlist info in tonight's (probably four hours late) Bulletin, right?

I will be so very disappoint if I don't see this bullet point:
  • Premium Battle now uses TU gametypes
so very disappoint, indeed.
I hope not. Premium Battle is the only place to guarantee DLC w/default Reach settings, since there isn't any default Reach in the Anniversary lists (to my knowledge).

I do not like the all-inclusive TU gametype. I'm okay with the Armor Lock and Active Camo nerfs, the removal of sword blocking, and maybe even 85% bloom, but damage bleed's disruption of player feedback is pervasive (most notably because of pistol damage).

Top Bottom