• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

kylej

Banned

It was 8th last time. 343 killing it right now, good work guys. Movin' on up.

Bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's CEA pushing it up huh? Nice. Also, Skyrim will eventually fall and probably Modern Warfare 2.

feel

Damn, reading that MLG thread makes me hopeful for the Halo community.

I should probably just quit Halogaf and its awful opinions, and move over there with the Reach/Sprint/bloom haters. :p

edit-
seriously, getting misty eyed at all this Sprint hate!! Thank you MLG dudes, you get it!! :_)

Halo Reach has fallen to 7th on the Activity list.

343/Frankie add ranks for the love of god, there's even debate if Halo is going to be on the MLG Circuit next year. Such a sad time:(

Black Ops dear lord!

That game is unstoppable!

As for the discussion about Halo Sales and matchmaking populations, I think that Halo is no longer the game for the general population. Halo Wars and ODST certainly hurt too, because I had a ton of friends ask me if Reach was like a full-fledged game or an expansion like ODST was.

It will be interesting to see sales of Halo 4, because in my opinion, Halo has just faded away as a franchise for the general population.

Tashi

Will do when I'm at my computer. I don't want to post a giant iPhone image.

Thanks

Also, Steel, I just had a funny thought of your friends hearing about Halo 4 and thinking, "man, why did it take them 5 years to come out with the next big Halo?" :lol

Thanks

Also, Steel, I just had a funny thought of your friends hearing about Halo 4 and thinking, "man, why did it take them 5 years to come out with the next big Halo?" :lol

It will be interesting to see if the numerical title will have an impact on sales, excitement about the games, etc.

Tashi

It will be interesting to see if the numerical title will have an impact on sales, excitement about the games, etc.

I'm actually being more and more convinced that because of ODST and to a lesser extent Wars, that there being no number being on Reach was a problem.

Halo Reach has fallen to 7th on the Activity list.

343/Frankie add ranks for the love of god, there's even debate if Halo is going to be on the MLG Circuit next year. Such a sad time:(

Please, please tell me you're joking. IMO mlg is nothing without Halo...mlg is Halo. This is crazy talk surely?

Marketing has to be huge beyond anything we've seen before. Microsoft has announced a new Halo trilogy; people have to buy and actually play Halo 4 before a Halo 5 and 6 can exist.

I didn't see a single television advert nor billboard/poster advert for CEA. Reach's marketing was sombre and hype-less. It's almost as if Microsoft feels they don't need a platform exclusive title like Halo as much anymore because they've sold so many units.. like they don't need Halo anymore or something.

Tashi

Not sure at this point.

If I had to guess, I would say Halo is going to stay for another year and then with the release of Halo 4 it will be a no brainer and Halo will stay again for however long. That's just my guess
And prayer

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Marketing has to be huge beyond anything we've seen before. Microsoft has announced a new Halo trilogy; people have to buy and actually play Halo 4 before a Halo 5 and 6 can exist.

Yup, and I'm not just saying that because of my love for all things Marketing (it's my major, after all).

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach's marketing took a nose dive in quality, imo. You can only depend on Times Square billboards and national midnight launches so much.

Halo 3's was excellent. Master Chief was on everyone and everything in addition to a fantastic, fiction-focused CG commercial airing during a football game.

Tashi

What about the idea that with Halo 2, there was hype because Halo 1 was such a huge success and XBL was implement. With Halo 3 there was hype because it was the first Halo on a new console. With Halo Reach, where was that hype? With Halo 4, it's a new studio, I think that hype is there and will grow. We'll see how it pans out.

What about the idea that with Halo 2, there was hype because Halo 1 was such a huge success and XBL was implement. With Halo 3 there was hype because it was the first Halo on a new console. With Halo Reach, where was that hype? With Halo 4, it's a new studio, I think that hype is there and will grow. We'll see how it pans out.

If the hype is big for Halo 4, I don't think it being made by a new studio will have much to do with that. I don't think a large portion of the mainstream audience will realize that the game isn't made by Bungie, nor do I think that that really matters. The COD franchise having alternative developers appears to have no impact on what the public thinks of the game.

CyReN

I've always thought of Reach as the "bastard" game of the series with Bungie "B Team" working on it. I still liked it but never really loved it. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Bungie agreed to do 2 more games for Microsoft. They came out with ODST, then Reach. I just feel they put more effort into getting it out than making a good game. They had their contract with Activision and that was their number 1 agenda. It could me just getting older now but the game didn't have Bungie Halo "charm" to it. Sorry for the many "".

I'm very excited for Halo 4, 343 don't disappoint. *stares at Gamestop preorder*

ElRenoRaven

Could the game informer reveal in 15 hours be halo 4?

Nothing in 2011 seems odd

Not a chance in hell. Speaking of not a chance in hell.....

Grilled chicken Fettuccine, Classic Ken's pizza from Mazzios, moist awesome chocolate brownies, and a 32 ounce beer later I'm stuffed so bad that I don't think there is a chance in hell I'll wanna look at food for a week. I don't know if I should get donged on in Reach or just sit back and relax. At least I have good company today. Mark Fuckin Twain man. Can't have better company then that. lol

Now back to discussing Frankie's manly baldness and David's fuzzy huggable beard.

Im curious about David's job. Content producer is a bit vague. David spill the beans.
Speaking of david and 343 in general we already seen one vidoc is this a tradition 343 are going to continue?

I know id certainly like it to continue watching some of the older stuff Vidoc's are the shizzle.

Anything with Frankie and David's face in Glorious HD is a plus

Tashi

If the hype is big for Halo 4, I don't think it being made by a new studio will have much to do with that. I don't think a large portion of the mainstream audience will realize that the game isn't made by Bungie, nor do I think that that really matters. The COD franchise having alternative developers appears to have no impact on what the public thinks of the game.

I'm actually looking at the numbers right now and they're pretty damn interesting.

World at War sold about as much as CoD4 did in the first 2 months. I would take that a disappointment. The game really exploded as MW2 released. It sold 3 times as much in the first month. You could make the case for the developer from there but it's tough to tell. I think a lot of people were disappointed however that CoD went back to WWII with World at War. The Black Ops numbers are a steady increase from that. A large number no doubt but nothing like from WaW to MW2. I don't know, it's fucking crazy what this franchise is doing.

Also, I can't fucking stand how NPD is so secretive about the actual numbers now. Sales-Age is the greatest.

I'm actually looking at the numbers right now and they're pretty damn interesting.

World at War sold about as much as CoD4 did in the first 2 months. I would take that a disappointment. The game really exploded as MW2 released. It sold 3 times as much in the first month. You could make the case for the developer from there but it's tough to tell. I think a lot of people were disappointed however that CoD went back to WWII with World at War. The Black Ops numbers are a steady increase from that. A large number no doubt but nothing like from WaW to MW2. I don't know, it's fucking crazy what this franchise is doing.

Also, I can't fucking stand how NPD is so secretive about the actual numbers now. Sales-Age is the greatest.

I worked the Black Ops midnight launch, iv never see so many horrible people in my life. I know people who have xbox's with just the cod games and have never played a single second of the single player in them, thats insane.

It wont last forever, MW4/Black Ops 2 will really have to change the game up i think, i said this about MW3 but im pretty sure the audiance will get sick of buying the same game yearly. MW3 is pretty hated for its map quality currently and elite has had a horrible launch.

Black ops Solo stuff got alot of bad feedback aswell. Either way im happy with the game it keeps the kids and idiots out of Halo and thats a good thing.

What you guys are forgetting is that halo is fucking hard compared to call of duty, people don't like that. I have played every cod and the trend has always been to make it easier with the exception of black ops.

In mw3 you don't even need to get consecutive kills to get killstreak rewards, you get them by getting a certain amount of points through the match. Like you get an assist and a capture, then die and get a kill as you spawn you get a 3 point streak reward. (explaining this because I know plenty of you hate the cod games).

It appeals to casuals way more than halo. I don't see halo 4 overtaking cod anytime soon because of this. Hopefully respawn can put out another juggernaut.

Someone hasn't heard of Starcraft 2.

Someone doesn't know anything about the history of mlg.

cuevas said:
In mw3 you don't even need to get consecutive kills to get killstreak rewards, you get them by getting a certain amount of points through the match. Like you get an assist and a capture, then die and get a kill as you spawn you get a 3 point streak reward.

laughable and vile.

Anyway, I'm already hearing the rumblings of dissent from friends who play cod. It'll be run into the ground just like guitar hero was, squeezed of every last buck till there's no players left.

Havok

Someone doesn't know anything about the history of mlg.
Halo gave them their start, sure, but Starcraft is orders of magnitude more popular at this point and is designed first and foremost to be a competitive game. They're a business, and they've got to focus on what generates the most interest for them. Having said that, I can't see a world where MLG drops the current Halo release.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i think there is 10 years of halo now and we are at franchise fatigue. to casual halo players, the game has changed very little in 10 years and the experience is now old. there are newer games (cod, gears, etc) that have the attention these days. i don't think halo 4 will change anything, sadly. the series will continue to decline in popularity.

i'll still play the ever living shit out of it though.

JB1981

i think there is 10 years of halo now and we are at franchise fatigue. to casual halo players, the game has changed very little in 10 years and the experience is now old. there are newer games (cod, gears, etc) that have the attention these days. i don't think halo 4 will change anything, sadly. the series will continue to decline in popularity.

it needs to go multiplat

I don't think it's fatigue, it's just that people found something else they like better and wod rather play that.

Halo gave them their start, sure, but Starcraft is orders of magnitude more popular at this point and is designed first and foremost to be a competitive game. They're a business, and they've got to focus on what generates the most interest for them. Having said that, I can't see a world where MLG drops the current Halo release.

Yea and Starcraft is a PC title; mlg has always been primarily catered toward the console market. There have been loads of shitty leagues for PC games, fuck mlg if they move in that direction wholly.

I mean, the league started in what 02, 03? There's been roughly a solid 7 or 8 years of Halo as the main title, holding its own competently. Throughout Halo 3, the league was always expanding - Dr Pepper/Stride gum adverts, then Tsquared on millions of bottles, then Sony Ericsson sponsorship, then the combines for amateurs... constant growth and expansion.

Then reach drops, all the maps are fucking gray, people don't like bloom, how easy the snipe is, no ranking system in the game itself... of course Starcraft is going to take a chunk out of that. SC2 is a highpoint for the franchise, Reach is the nadir in terms of competitive interest.

Point is, SC2 has been popular for one season for mlg whilst Halo has sustained and defined them for years. They would be foolish to drop it after one poor season.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
where can i find how many perfections i have on waypoint? i found the medal list, but it doesnt have the killing spree ones...

Top Bottom